|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) They will be a part of his new life.
(b) He is glad he brought them.
(c) He decides they are a part of his past.
(d) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
2. How does Langston know this influential woman?
(a) She is his mother's employer.
(b) She is his English teacher.
(c) She is his neighbor.
(d) She sponsors the Garden Club to which Hughes belongs.
3. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) No chance.
(b) No, because he does not want to go to college.
(c) A great chance.
(d) Little chance.
4. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(a) Only a few.
5. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is fine.
(b) It is unsatisfying.
(c) It is exciting.
(d) It is satisfying.
6. What would Langston rather read?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
7. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
8. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
(b) Los Angeles.
9. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) He is black.
(b) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
(c) He does not have enough money.
(d) There are not enough sleeping cars.
10. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) He makes many friends.
(b) His father is around most of the time.
(c) His father is rarely around.
(d) His father encourages him to write.
11. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
12. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
(a) She moves to Alabama.
(b) She moves to Chicago.
(c) She moves to Washington.
(d) She moves to New York.
13. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
14. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
(a) Indian Creek School.
(b) Poly Preparatory School.
(c) Berkeley-Carroll School.
(d) The Harrison Street School.
15. Of what is Langston an active member?
(a) The Spanish Club.
(b) The basketball team.
(c) The debate team.
(d) Several teams and clubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Hughes become interested?
2. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
3. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
4. What does Langston do at this revival?
5. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)