|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Many different views on the war.
(c) The many people who support the war.
(d) Many different views on racial issues.
2. Describe Hughes' family history.
3. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
(a) Carrie Walnutt.
(b) Helen Chestnutt.
(c) Mary Hazelnutt.
(d) Sally Pecan.
4. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) At a cheap hotel.
(b) With W.E.B. du Bois.
(c) At a friend's home.
(d) At the YMCA.
5. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
(a) They do not care for his mother.
(b) They are snobby and indifferent to black suffering.
(c) They are rude and disrespectful.
(d) They do not want him to visit.
6. What do the children do one by one?
(a) They approach the altar.
(b) They read a passage from the Bible.
(c) They sing a solo.
(d) They thank their families and friends for their support.
7. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
8. When does Langston's mother send for him?
(a) When he is fourteen.
(b) When he is ten.
(c) When he is twelve.
(d) When he is eight.
9. On what does he spend his money?
(b) A train ticket for his mother to come visit.
(c) College courses.
(d) The theater and a train ticket to Washington.
10. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
(a) Jim Crow laws.
(b) Open jobs.
11. In what activity is Hughes involved?
(a) The school Communist organization.
(b) The school basketball team.
(c) The school paper.
(d) The school band.
12. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
13. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(d) Only a few.
14. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
(a) His family moves to New York.
(b) His mother and he move to Mexico City.
(c) His father joins them in Chicago.
(d) He visits his father in Mexico for a summer.
15. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
(b) Langston wants to be a painter.
(c) Langston wants to be a writer.
(d) Langston does not want to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Langston in?
2. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
3. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
4. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
5. What is Lincoln?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)