|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(c) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(d) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
2. In what activity is Hughes involved?
(a) The school band.
(b) The school Communist organization.
(c) The school basketball team.
(d) The school paper.
3. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) No chance.
(b) A great chance.
(c) Little chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
4. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
(a) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(b) Booker T. Washington.
(c) Maya Angelou.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
5. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
(a) Indian Creek School.
(b) Berkeley-Carroll School.
(c) The Harrison Street School.
(d) Poly Preparatory School.
6. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His stepbrother.
7. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He becomes class president.
(b) He is prom king.
(c) He joins the track team.
(d) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
8. Describe Hughes' family history.
9. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
10. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) Joplin, Mississippi.
(d) New York, New York.
11. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
(a) No, but he attends graduate school there.
(d) No, because he transfers to NYU.
12. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) At a cheap hotel.
(b) At a friend's home.
(c) With W.E.B. du Bois.
(d) At the YMCA.
13. Where does Langston enjoy watching Saturday football games?
(a) At his high school.
(b) At the Kansas State University.
(c) On television.
(d) At the University of Kansas.
14. What is Lincoln?
(a) A liberal arts college.
(b) A college that accepts many black students.
(c) A prestigious school for blacks.
(d) A public university for black students.
15. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
2. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
3. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
4. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
5. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)