|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
2. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public university.
(b) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(c) In a public school in Mexico City.
(d) In a private all boys' technical college.
3. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(b) Forty-five cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
4. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A cook.
(c) A nanny.
(d) A maid.
5. What does Langston do at this revival?
(a) He pretends to be saved.
(b) He hides in a back pew.
(c) He refuses to join the children by the altar.
(d) He is saved.
6. Has Langston become interested in writing?
(b) Yes, just recently.
(c) Not yet.
7. In what community center does Langston become involved?
(a) The Carousel.
(b) The Huron Playhouse.
(c) The Croswell.
(d) The Karamu House.
8. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A freighter headed to Africa.
(b) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
(c) A private yacht headed to Africa.
(d) A sailboat headed to Africa.
9. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
10. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) A theater for which to write.
(b) A job.
(c) An apartment.
(d) Another sailing vessel.
11. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Education and literature.
(b) Theater and music.
(c) Literature and theater.
(d) Music and literature.
12. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
(a) She moves to Chicago.
(b) She moves to Washington.
(c) She moves to New York.
(d) She moves to Alabama.
13. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He begins his autobiography.
(b) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(c) He writes a letter to his mother.
(d) He thinks about his life.
14. Who is Dr. Woodson?
(a) His mother's physician.
(b) A famous author of sociology.
(c) A professor at Lincoln.
(d) Founder of the association for the Study of Negro Life and History.
15. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Booker T. Washington.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
2. What has Langston's mother just done?
3. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. Where does Langston attend high school?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)