|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(b) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(c) His father is gone most of the time.
(d) He misses his mother.
2. Describe Hughes' family history.
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(c) Forty-five cents.
(d) Two dollars.
4. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Education and literature.
(c) Theater and music.
(d) Literature and theater.
5. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She sends him to live with his father.
(b) She has him meet with the pastor.
(c) She begins to cry hysterically.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
6. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Joplin, Mississippi.
(c) Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
7. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By reading and writing.
(b) By working on his autobiography.
(c) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(d) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
8. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
(b) The doctor.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His mother.
9. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
(c) Open jobs.
(d) Jim Crow laws.
10. In what activity is Hughes involved?
(a) The school basketball team.
(b) The school band.
(c) The school paper.
(d) The school Communist organization.
11. Where will he be joining these people?
(a) In Washington, DC.
(b) In Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) In Chicago, Illinois.
(d) In Lincoln, Illinois.
12. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Many different views on the war.
(c) Many different views on racial issues.
(d) The many people who support the war.
13. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
(a) Langston's mother has found work as a maid.
(b) Langston's stepfather finds work at a steel mill.
(c) Langston wants to attend Central High School.
(d) Langston's father finds work at a steel mill.
14. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is around most of the time.
(b) He makes many friends.
(c) His father is rarely around.
(d) His father encourages him to write.
15. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Ethel Weimer.
(b) Miss Emily Mills.
(c) Miss Ellen Conn.
(d) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
2. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
3. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
5. How does Langston know this influential woman?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)