|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Joplin, Mississippi.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
2. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(b) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(c) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
3. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is satisfying.
(b) It is unsatisfying.
(c) It is fine.
(d) It is exciting.
4. Why do the children do this?
(a) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
(b) They want to assist with the service.
(c) They want to be professional singers.
(d) They claim to be saved.
5. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) With W.E.B. du Bois.
(b) At the YMCA.
(c) At a cheap hotel.
(d) At a friend's home.
6. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
(c) Los Angeles.
7. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
(b) A sailboat headed to Africa.
(c) A private yacht headed to Africa.
(d) A freighter headed to Africa.
8. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father encourages him to write.
(b) His father is rarely around.
(c) His father is around most of the time.
(d) He makes many friends.
9. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) The many people who support the war.
(c) Many different views on racial issues.
(d) Many different views on the war.
10. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Emily Mills.
(b) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(c) Miss Ellen Conn.
(d) Miss Ethel Weimer.
11. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He calls his mother.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He cries himself to sleep.
(d) He prays.
12. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(b) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(c) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(d) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
13. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
(a) His family moves to New York.
(b) His father joins them in Chicago.
(c) His mother and he move to Mexico City.
(d) He visits his father in Mexico for a summer.
14. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(b) By reading and writing.
(c) By working on his autobiography.
(d) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
15. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A theater for which to write.
(c) Another sailing vessel.
(d) A job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
3. What would Langston rather read?
4. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
5. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)