|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
(a) She moves to Chicago.
(b) She moves to New York.
(c) She moves to Washington.
(d) She moves to Alabama.
2. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
(a) Be in the choir.
(b) Read the Gospel.
(c) Act out a role.
(d) Be an acolyte.
3. Describe Hughes' family history.
4. In what does Hughes become interested?
(d) Social issues.
5. Why do the children do this?
(a) They want to assist with the service.
(b) They claim to be saved.
(c) They want to be professional singers.
(d) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
6. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
(c) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(d) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
7. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(d) His father is gone most of the time.
8. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
9. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
(a) He throws his food at the server.
(b) He eats it anyway and does not pay.
(c) He storms out of the cafeteria.
(d) He leaves his food at the counter and sits down to watch his friend eat.
10. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(b) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(c) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
11. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Babysit her children.
(b) Read every night.
(c) Clean the house every Saturday.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
12. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In the Black Renaissance.
(b) In The Crisis.
(c) In Columbia University's paper.
(d) In Fire.
13. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
(a) He stays at home.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He begins watching movies at the opera house.
(d) He complains to the management.
14. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
(a) His family moves to New York.
(b) His father joins them in Chicago.
(c) He visits his father in Mexico for a summer.
(d) His mother and he move to Mexico City.
15. How does Langston help this family?
(a) By cooking and cleaning.
(b) With the housework, which included setting hens and driving cows to pasture.
(c) By tutoring their children.
(d) By branding the cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
2. When does Langston's mother send for him?
3. How are his first few months in this city?
4. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
5. Who will Langston be joining?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)