|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Forty-five cents.
(c) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(d) Two dollars.
2. How does Langston help this family?
(a) By branding the cattle.
(b) With the housework, which included setting hens and driving cows to pasture.
(c) By cooking and cleaning.
(d) By tutoring their children.
3. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father encourages him to write.
(b) He makes many friends.
(c) His father is rarely around.
(d) His father is around most of the time.
4. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He will buy him a new car.
(d) He offers to pay his way.
5. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(b) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
(c) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
6. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
7. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(b) His father is gone most of the time.
(c) He misses his mother.
(d) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
8. How are his first few months in this city?
9. In what activity is Hughes involved?
(a) The school band.
(b) The school basketball team.
(c) The school paper.
(d) The school Communist organization.
10. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
(c) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
(d) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
11. Where will he be joining these people?
(a) In Lincoln, Illinois.
(b) In Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) In Chicago, Illinois.
(d) In Washington, DC.
12. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Theater and music.
(b) Literature and theater.
(c) Music and literature.
(d) Education and literature.
13. What would Langston rather read?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
14. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
(a) He is told that he will be staying off campus.
(b) He is given a key to a small, closet-sized room.
(c) He is told that blacks are not allowed in the dormitories.
(d) He is given a key and a roommate.
15. What does Langston learn about his father?
(a) He is a stern, quiet man.
(b) He is a cold man, who only cares about making money.
(c) He is a caring, loving man.
(d) He is an artistic, intelligent man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
2. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
3. What do the children do one by one?
4. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
5. How does Langston know this influential woman?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)