|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(b) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(c) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
(d) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
2. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
(b) He is very intelligent.
(c) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(d) He is one of the few black students.
3. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
4. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
(a) To Chicago for musical performances.
(b) To Mexico City for the bullfights.
(c) To Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
(d) To Memphis for blues music.
5. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
(a) In the London Times.
(b) In the Paris Gazette.
(c) In the Amsterdam News.
(d) In the Nice News.
6. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She begins to cry hysterically.
(b) She sends him to live with his father.
(c) She has him meet with the pastor.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
7. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
(a) He eats it anyway and does not pay.
(b) He throws his food at the server.
(c) He storms out of the cafeteria.
(d) He leaves his food at the counter and sits down to watch his friend eat.
8. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(b) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(c) By reading and writing.
(d) By working on his autobiography.
9. How does Langston know this influential woman?
(a) She is his neighbor.
(b) She is his mother's employer.
(c) She sponsors the Garden Club to which Hughes belongs.
(d) She is his English teacher.
10. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
11. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public university.
(b) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(c) In a private all boys' technical college.
(d) In a public school in Mexico City.
12. What would Langston rather read?
(b) Science fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
13. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He is prom king.
(b) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(c) He joins the track team.
(d) He becomes class president.
14. In what does Hughes become interested?
(d) Social issues.
15. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) He does not have enough money.
(b) He is black.
(c) There are not enough sleeping cars.
(d) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes do with the books?
2. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
3. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
4. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
5. What do the children do one by one?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)