|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
(a) In the Amsterdam News.
(b) In the Nice News.
(c) In the London Times.
(d) In the Paris Gazette.
2. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The DeVanes.
(b) The Campbells.
(c) The Reeds.
(d) The Smiths.
3. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Other playwrights.
(b) Relatives he has never met.
(c) Movie executives.
(d) Several important figures of the era.
4. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In The Crisis.
(b) In the Black Renaissance.
(c) In Columbia University's paper.
(d) In Fire.
5. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(b) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(c) By reading and writing.
(d) By working on his autobiography.
6. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
(b) She sends him to live with his father.
(c) She has him meet with the pastor.
(d) She begins to cry hysterically.
7. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) At a friend's home.
(b) With W.E.B. du Bois.
(c) At the YMCA.
(d) At a cheap hotel.
8. How does Mary make her living?
(a) By waitressing in a small diner.
(b) By cooking, cleaning, and washing for rich white families.
(c) By renting rooms to college students who went to the University of Kansas.
(d) By working as a professor at the University of Kansas.
9. Why does Langston sneak into the medical school building?
(a) He wants to be a doctor.
(b) He needs a doctor.
(c) He wants to steal medical supplies.
(d) To watch students dissect cadavers.
10. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) They are lazy and foolish.
(b) They should be given equality.
(c) They should all move to Mexico.
(d) He can relate to them.
11. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He cries himself to sleep.
(b) He prays.
(c) He writes a letter to his mother.
(d) He calls his mother.
12. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) A job.
(b) An apartment.
(c) Another sailing vessel.
(d) A theater for which to write.
13. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A nanny.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A maid.
(d) A cook.
14. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) The many people who support the war.
(b) Many different views on the war.
(c) Social interaction.
(d) Many different views on racial issues.
15. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He is very intelligent.
(b) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
(c) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(d) He is one of the few black students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston learn about his father?
2. Who are among Langston's classmates?
3. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
4. How is Langston employed on a freighter?
5. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)