|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Langston's mother just done?
(a) Had another child.
(c) Divorced his father.
(d) Moved in with her sister.
2. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
(a) He eats it anyway and does not pay.
(b) He leaves his food at the counter and sits down to watch his friend eat.
(c) He storms out of the cafeteria.
(d) He throws his food at the server.
3. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
(b) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(c) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
4. What happens during a revival?
(a) The entire congregaton prays for the souls of the children.
(b) Langston accepts Jesus as his savior.
(c) Langston finally attends church with the Reeds.
(d) The children of the congregation are baptized.
5. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She begins to cry hysterically.
(b) She sends him to live with his father.
(c) She has him meet with the pastor.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
6. What do the children do one by one?
(a) They approach the altar.
(b) They read a passage from the Bible.
(c) They sing a solo.
(d) They thank their families and friends for their support.
7. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
(b) His mother and aunt.
(c) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(d) His mother.
8. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) Joplin, Mississippi.
(d) New York, New York.
9. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Get a job in Cleveland.
(b) Go to Mexico.
(c) Stay with her in Chicago.
(d) Move to New York.
10. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The Campbells.
(b) The Smiths.
(c) The Reeds.
(d) The DeVanes.
11. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
(b) He is glad he brought them.
(c) They will be a part of his new life.
(d) He decides they are a part of his past.
12. Where does Langston attend high school?
(a) Central High School.
(b) Lawrence Central High School
(c) Central Catholic High School.
(d) North Central High School.
13. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
(b) His mother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) The doctor.
14. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Emily Mills.
(b) Miss Ellen Conn.
(c) Miss Ethel Weimer.
(d) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
15. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
(b) A lot.
(d) Quite a bit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
2. How is Langston treated in Africa?
3. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
4. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
5. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)