|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Several important figures of the era.
(b) Relatives he has never met.
(c) Movie executives.
(d) Other playwrights.
2. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A maid.
(b) A nanny.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A cook.
3. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(b) He is visiting his father.
(c) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
(d) His is doing a poetry reading there.
4. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
5. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
(a) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(b) Derrick Bell.
(c) Michael Baisden.
(d) Stanley Crouch.
6. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In The Crisis.
(b) In Fire.
(c) In Columbia University's paper.
(d) In the Black Renaissance.
7. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
(c) Open jobs.
(d) Jim Crow laws.
8. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
9. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(c) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(d) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
10. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(b) He is prom king.
(c) He joins the track team.
(d) He becomes class president.
11. Why do the children do this?
(a) They want to assist with the service.
(b) They claim to be saved.
(c) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
(d) They want to be professional singers.
12. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Read every night.
(b) Babysit her children.
(c) Clean the house every Saturday.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
13. Where does Langston attend high school?
(a) Central Catholic High School.
(b) Lawrence Central High School
(c) Central High School.
(d) North Central High School.
14. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A sailboat headed to Africa.
(b) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
(c) A freighter headed to Africa.
(d) A private yacht headed to Africa.
15. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Twenty dollars.
(b) Ten dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
2. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
3. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
4. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
5. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)