|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
(a) To Memphis for blues music.
(b) To Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
(c) To Mexico City for the bullfights.
(d) To Chicago for musical performances.
2. How are his first few months in this city?
3. In what does Hughes become interested?
(b) Social issues.
4. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
(a) Read the Gospel.
(b) Act out a role.
(c) Be in the choir.
(d) Be an acolyte.
5. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In The Crisis.
(b) In Fire.
(c) In the Black Renaissance.
(d) In Columbia University's paper.
6. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public school in Mexico City.
(b) In a private all boys' technical college.
(c) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(d) In a public university.
7. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
(a) She never asks for help.
(b) She does not speak to white people.
(c) She charges a great deal of money to work for white people.
(d) She refuses to cook, clean, or wash for rich white families.
8. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(d) His father is gone most of the time.
9. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He thinks about his life.
(d) He begins his autobiography.
10. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) One hundred dollars.
11. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Many different views on racial issues.
(c) The many people who support the war.
(d) Many different views on the war.
12. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Education and literature.
(c) Literature and theater.
(d) Theater and music.
13. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Forty-five cents.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(d) Two dollars.
14. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She sends him to live with his father.
(b) She has him meet with the pastor.
(c) She begins to cry hysterically.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
15. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
(a) Francis Scott Key.
(b) Sterling A. Brown.
(c) Frances Quarles.
(d) Kole Black.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
2. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
3. What does Langston's mother write?
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)