|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Move to New York.
(b) Get a job in Cleveland.
(c) Stay with her in Chicago.
(d) Go to Mexico.
2. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
(b) There are not enough sleeping cars.
(c) He is black.
(d) He does not have enough money.
3. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Many different views on the war.
(b) The many people who support the war.
(c) Social interaction.
(d) Many different views on racial issues.
4. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Several important figures of the era.
(b) Other playwrights.
(c) Movie executives.
(d) Relatives he has never met.
5. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(b) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(d) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
6. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
(b) Quite a bit.
(c) A lot.
7. In what does Hughes become interested?
(b) Social issues.
8. Where does Langston enjoy watching Saturday football games?
(a) At his high school.
(b) At the University of Kansas.
(c) On television.
(d) At the Kansas State University.
9. What has Langston's mother just done?
(a) Moved in with her sister.
(c) Divorced his father.
(d) Had another child.
10. What happens during a revival?
(a) Langston finally attends church with the Reeds.
(b) The entire congregaton prays for the souls of the children.
(c) Langston accepts Jesus as his savior.
(d) The children of the congregation are baptized.
11. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
(a) Many of the white faculty had gone to Princeton.
(b) The courses are similar to those at Princeton.
(c) Many of the black faculty had gone to Princeton.
(d) Many of the black students would later attend graduate school at Princeton.
12. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepbrother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His stepfather.
(d) His father.
13. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) An apartment.
(b) Another sailing vessel.
(c) A theater for which to write.
(d) A job.
14. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A private yacht headed to Africa.
(b) A freighter headed to Africa.
(c) A sailboat headed to Africa.
(d) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
15. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(d) Forty-five cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's mother write?
2. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
3. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
4. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
5. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)