|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
(a) He leaves his food at the counter and sits down to watch his friend eat.
(b) He eats it anyway and does not pay.
(c) He storms out of the cafeteria.
(d) He throws his food at the server.
2. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
3. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Joplin, Mississippi.
(c) Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
4. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) He is glad he brought them.
(b) He decides they are a part of his past.
(c) They will be a part of his new life.
(d) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
5. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(b) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
(c) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
6. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) A great chance.
(b) No chance.
(c) No, because he does not want to go to college.
(d) Little chance.
7. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He misses his mother.
(b) His father is gone most of the time.
(c) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(d) He does not have friends in Mexico.
8. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
(b) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(c) An old African man.
(d) A twenty-year-old sailor.
9. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
10. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He begins his autobiography.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He thinks about his life.
(d) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
11. Where will he be joining these people?
(a) In Washington, DC.
(b) In Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) In Chicago, Illinois.
(d) In Lincoln, Illinois.
12. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
13. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
(a) She charges a great deal of money to work for white people.
(b) She does not speak to white people.
(c) She never asks for help.
(d) She refuses to cook, clean, or wash for rich white families.
14. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He refuses to sing.
(b) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(c) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
(d) He trips and drops the candle.
15. Why does Langston sneak into the medical school building?
(a) He wants to steal medical supplies.
(b) He wants to be a doctor.
(c) He needs a doctor.
(d) To watch students dissect cadavers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Langston rather read?
2. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
3. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)