|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a painter.
(b) Langston does not want to go to college.
(c) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
(d) Langston wants to be a writer.
2. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is fine.
(b) It is exciting.
(c) It is unsatisfying.
(d) It is satisfying.
3. Of what is Langston an active member?
(a) The basketball team.
(b) Several teams and clubs.
(c) The debate team.
(d) The Spanish Club.
4. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother and aunt.
(b) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
5. Who is Dr. Woodson?
(a) A famous author of sociology.
(b) A professor at Lincoln.
(c) His mother's physician.
(d) Founder of the association for the Study of Negro Life and History.
6. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(b) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(c) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(d) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
7. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
(b) No, but he attends graduate school there.
(c) No, because he transfers to NYU.
8. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Other playwrights.
(b) Several important figures of the era.
(c) Relatives he has never met.
(d) Movie executives.
9. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(b) By reading and writing.
(c) By working on his autobiography.
(d) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
10. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
(a) Langston's stepfather finds work at a steel mill.
(b) Langston's father finds work at a steel mill.
(c) Langston wants to attend Central High School.
(d) Langston's mother has found work as a maid.
11. When does Langston's mother send for him?
(a) When he is ten.
(b) When he is twelve.
(c) When he is eight.
(d) When he is fourteen.
12. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
(a) She never asks for help.
(b) She does not speak to white people.
(c) She refuses to cook, clean, or wash for rich white families.
(d) She charges a great deal of money to work for white people.
13. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(b) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
(c) He is visiting his father.
(d) His is doing a poetry reading there.
14. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
15. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Forty-five cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
2. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
3. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
4. What does Langston learn at this community center?
5. Has Langston become interested in writing?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)