|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
(b) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother and aunt.
2. What is Lincoln?
(a) A public university for black students.
(b) A prestigious school for blacks.
(c) A liberal arts college.
(d) A college that accepts many black students.
3. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He throws them into the sea.
(b) He gives them away.
(c) He puts them in a crate.
(d) He rereads them.
4. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Several important figures of the era.
(b) Movie executives.
(c) Other playwrights.
(d) Relatives he has never met.
5. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) At a cheap hotel.
(b) With W.E.B. du Bois.
(c) At the YMCA.
(d) At a friend's home.
6. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
7. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) A great chance.
(b) No, because he does not want to go to college.
(c) No chance.
(d) Little chance.
8. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
9. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
(a) Carrie Walnutt.
(b) Mary Hazelnutt.
(c) Helen Chestnutt.
(d) Sally Pecan.
10. In what community center does Langston become involved?
(a) The Croswell.
(b) The Karamu House.
(c) The Huron Playhouse.
(d) The Carousel.
11. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She has him meet with the pastor.
(b) She begins to cry hysterically.
(c) She sends him to live with his father.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
12. Why do the children do this?
(a) They want to be professional singers.
(b) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
(c) They claim to be saved.
(d) They want to assist with the service.
13. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepbrother.
(b) His stepfather.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
14. What do the children do one by one?
(a) They read a passage from the Bible.
(b) They thank their families and friends for their support.
(c) They sing a solo.
(d) They approach the altar.
15. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
2. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
3. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
4. Whose poems does Langston like?
5. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)