|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother and aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
2. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(b) In a public school in Mexico City.
(c) In a public university.
(d) In a private all boys' technical college.
3. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
(a) He works in the engine room.
(b) He is a cook.
(c) He is a mess boy.
(d) He serves the captain.
4. How does Langston help this family?
(a) By tutoring their children.
(b) With the housework, which included setting hens and driving cows to pasture.
(c) By cooking and cleaning.
(d) By branding the cattle.
5. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
(a) Langston wants to attend Central High School.
(b) Langston's stepfather finds work at a steel mill.
(c) Langston's mother has found work as a maid.
(d) Langston's father finds work at a steel mill.
6. Where does Langston attend high school?
(a) Lawrence Central High School
(b) North Central High School.
(c) Central High School.
(d) Central Catholic High School.
7. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A nanny.
(c) A maid.
(d) A cook.
8. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
9. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Ellen Conn.
(b) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(c) Miss Emily Mills.
(d) Miss Ethel Weimer.
10. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
(a) Francis Scott Key.
(b) Frances Quarles.
(c) Kole Black.
(d) Sterling A. Brown.
11. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
(a) Movie executives.
(b) Other playwrights.
(c) Several important figures of the era.
(d) Relatives he has never met.
12. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Education and literature.
(c) Literature and theater.
(d) Theater and music.
13. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) A great chance.
(b) No chance.
(c) Little chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
14. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
(a) Michael Baisden.
(b) Derrick Bell.
(c) Stanley Crouch.
(d) W.E.B. Du Bois.
15. How does Langston know this influential woman?
(a) She is his mother's employer.
(b) She is his neighbor.
(c) She sponsors the Garden Club to which Hughes belongs.
(d) She is his English teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will he be joining these people?
2. What does Langston learn at this community center?
3. Where is Langston Hughes born?
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
5. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)