|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
(a) To Mexico City for the bullfights.
(b) To Memphis for blues music.
(c) To Chicago for musical performances.
(d) To Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
2. What is Lincoln?
(a) A college that accepts many black students.
(b) A public university for black students.
(c) A liberal arts college.
(d) A prestigious school for blacks.
3. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) His is doing a poetry reading there.
(b) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(c) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
(d) He is visiting his father.
4. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A maid.
(c) A nanny.
(d) A cook.
5. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
(d) Los Angeles.
6. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(b) His father is gone most of the time.
(c) He misses his mother.
(d) He does not have friends in Mexico.
7. What does Langston learn about his father?
(a) He is a stern, quiet man.
(b) He is an artistic, intelligent man.
(c) He is a cold man, who only cares about making money.
(d) He is a caring, loving man.
8. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
(a) The courses are similar to those at Princeton.
(b) Many of the white faculty had gone to Princeton.
(c) Many of the black students would later attend graduate school at Princeton.
(d) Many of the black faculty had gone to Princeton.
9. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) They should all move to Mexico.
(b) They are lazy and foolish.
(c) He can relate to them.
(d) They should be given equality.
10. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(b) He is one of the few black students.
(c) He is very intelligent.
(d) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
11. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
(a) Mary Hazelnutt.
(b) Helen Chestnutt.
(c) Sally Pecan.
(d) Carrie Walnutt.
12. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
(b) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(d) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
13. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
(a) He uses it to buy candy.
(b) He spends it at the theater.
(c) He saves it.
(d) He gives it to the Reed family.
14. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
(a) Booker T. Washington.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Maya Angelou.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
15. In what community center does Langston become involved?
(a) The Karamu House.
(b) The Huron Playhouse.
(c) The Carousel.
(d) The Croswell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
2. Of what is Langston an active member?
3. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
4. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
5. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)