Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(b) Miss Emily Mills.
(c) Miss Ellen Conn.
(d) Miss Ethel Weimer.
2. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Education and literature.
(c) Literature and theater.
(d) Theater and music.
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Forty-five cents.
(b) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepbrother.
(b) His father.
(c) His stepfather.
(d) His mother.
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Joplin, Mississippi.
6. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
7. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
(a) To Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
(b) To Chicago for musical performances.
(c) To Memphis for blues music.
(d) To Mexico City for the bullfights.
8. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Booker T. Washington.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
9. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(b) In a private all boys' technical college.
(c) In a public university.
(d) In a public school in Mexico City.
10. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
(a) Langston wants to attend Central High School.
(b) Langston's mother has found work as a maid.
(c) Langston's father finds work at a steel mill.
(d) Langston's stepfather finds work at a steel mill.
11. What is Lincoln?
(a) A public university for black students.
(b) A college that accepts many black students.
(c) A prestigious school for blacks.
(d) A liberal arts college.
12. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) Little chance.
(b) No chance.
(c) No, because he does not want to go to college.
(d) A great chance.
13. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The DeVanes.
(b) The Reeds.
(c) The Smiths.
(d) The Campbells.
14. How does Langston know this influential woman?
(a) She is his English teacher.
(b) She is his neighbor.
(c) She sponsors the Garden Club to which Hughes belongs.
(d) She is his mother's employer.
15. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
(a) In the London Times.
(b) In the Nice News.
(c) In the Amsterdam News.
(d) In the Paris Gazette.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Langston treated in Africa?
2. Of what is Langston an active member?
3. How is Langston employed on a freighter?
4. Who is Dr. Woodson?
5. What would Langston rather read?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)