|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) They are lazy and foolish.
(b) He can relate to them.
(c) They should be given equality.
(d) They should all move to Mexico.
2. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) No, because he does not want to go to college.
(b) Little chance.
(c) No chance.
(d) A great chance.
3. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
(a) He is given a key and a roommate.
(b) He is told that blacks are not allowed in the dormitories.
(c) He is given a key to a small, closet-sized room.
(d) He is told that he will be staying off campus.
4. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
(b) He is black.
(c) There are not enough sleeping cars.
(d) He does not have enough money.
5. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
(a) To Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
(b) To Chicago for musical performances.
(c) To Mexico City for the bullfights.
(d) To Memphis for blues music.
6. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Babysit her children.
(b) Go to church every Sunday.
(c) Read every night.
(d) Clean the house every Saturday.
7. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A maid.
(c) A cook.
(d) A nanny.
8. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(b) He is very intelligent.
(c) He is one of the few black students.
(d) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
9. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
(a) He stays at home.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He complains to the management.
(d) He begins watching movies at the opera house.
10. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) He is glad he brought them.
(b) They will be a part of his new life.
(c) He decides they are a part of his past.
(d) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
11. How old is Langston Hughes when his grandmother dies?
12. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
(a) His mother and he move to Mexico City.
(b) He visits his father in Mexico for a summer.
(c) His family moves to New York.
(d) His father joins them in Chicago.
13. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Two dollars.
(b) Five dollars.
(c) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(d) Forty-five cents.
14. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
(a) Carrie Walnutt.
(b) Helen Chestnutt.
(c) Mary Hazelnutt.
(d) Sally Pecan.
15. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a painter.
(b) Langston does not want to go to college.
(c) Langston wants to be a writer.
(d) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
2. What does his mother do afterward?
3. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
4. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
5. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)