|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(d) Only a few.
2. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(d) Booker T. Washington.
3. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is exciting.
(b) It is unsatisfying.
(c) It is fine.
(d) It is satisfying.
4. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
(a) Michael Baisden.
(b) Stanley Crouch.
(c) Derrick Bell.
(d) W.E.B. Du Bois.
5. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Forty-five cents.
(b) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
6. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
(a) At the YMCA.
(b) At a cheap hotel.
(c) At a friend's home.
(d) With W.E.B. du Bois.
7. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) Another sailing vessel.
(b) A job.
(c) A theater for which to write.
(d) An apartment.
8. Why does Langston sneak into the medical school building?
(a) He wants to be a doctor.
(b) He needs a doctor.
(c) To watch students dissect cadavers.
(d) He wants to steal medical supplies.
9. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His mother.
(b) His stepbrother.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepfather.
10. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
(a) She moves to Washington.
(b) She moves to New York.
(c) She moves to Chicago.
(d) She moves to Alabama.
11. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father encourages him to write.
(b) His father is around most of the time.
(c) He makes many friends.
(d) His father is rarely around.
12. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A freighter headed to Africa.
(b) A private yacht headed to Africa.
(c) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
(d) A sailboat headed to Africa.
13. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
(a) He stays in Mexico.
(b) He visits friends in Paris.
(c) He attends Columbia University.
(d) He returns to the United States.
14. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
15. What has Langston's mother just done?
(a) Moved in with her sister.
(b) Had another child.
(c) Divorced his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
2. Why do the children do this?
3. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
4. What does Langston do that evening?
5. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)