|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(b) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(c) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
(d) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
2. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
(a) In the Nice News.
(b) In the Amsterdam News.
(c) In the Paris Gazette.
(d) In the London Times.
3. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) He can relate to them.
(b) They are lazy and foolish.
(c) They should be given equality.
(d) They should all move to Mexico.
4. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He gives them away.
(b) He throws them into the sea.
(c) He rereads them.
(d) He puts them in a crate.
5. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Get a job in Cleveland.
(b) Go to Mexico.
(c) Move to New York.
(d) Stay with her in Chicago.
6. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(b) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(c) By working on his autobiography.
(d) By reading and writing.
7. How does Langston help this family?
(a) By tutoring their children.
(b) With the housework, which included setting hens and driving cows to pasture.
(c) By cooking and cleaning.
(d) By branding the cattle.
8. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Forty-five cents.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(d) Five dollars.
9. How are his first few months in this city?
10. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) To swab the deck.
(b) To steer the ship.
(c) To watch over the petty officers' mess and make up their staterooms.
(d) To cook for the officers.
11. How is Langston employed on a freighter?
(a) As a mess boy.
(b) As a sailor.
(c) As a cook.
(d) As a a petty officer.
12. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
(b) A lot.
(c) Quite a bit.
13. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The Campbells.
(b) The DeVanes.
(c) The Reeds.
(d) The Smiths.
14. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
(a) The courses are similar to those at Princeton.
(b) Many of the black faculty had gone to Princeton.
(c) Many of the black students would later attend graduate school at Princeton.
(d) Many of the white faculty had gone to Princeton.
15. How is Langston treated in Africa?
(a) He is mistreated because he is American.
(b) He is treated as an African.
(c) He is discriminated against.
(d) He is warmly welcomed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
2. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
3. Where will he be joining these people?
4. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)