|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) No chance.
(b) Little chance.
(c) A great chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
2. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public university.
(b) In a public school in Mexico City.
(c) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(d) In a private all boys' technical college.
3. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He joins the track team.
(b) He becomes class president.
(c) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(d) He is prom king.
4. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
5. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) He is visiting his father.
(b) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(c) His is doing a poetry reading there.
(d) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
6. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
(a) A job.
(b) Another sailing vessel.
(c) A theater for which to write.
(d) An apartment.
7. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Go to church every Sunday.
(b) Read every night.
(c) Babysit her children.
(d) Clean the house every Saturday.
8. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In The Crisis.
(b) In Fire.
(c) In Columbia University's paper.
(d) In the Black Renaissance.
9. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Education and literature.
(b) Music and literature.
(c) Theater and music.
(d) Literature and theater.
10. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He will buy him a new car.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He offers to pay his way.
(d) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
11. How are his first few months in this city?
12. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
(a) Many of the black students would later attend graduate school at Princeton.
(b) Many of the white faculty had gone to Princeton.
(c) The courses are similar to those at Princeton.
(d) Many of the black faculty had gone to Princeton.
13. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She has him meet with the pastor.
(b) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
(c) She sends him to live with his father.
(d) She begins to cry hysterically.
14. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Ten dollars.
15. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
(a) He throws his food at the server.
(b) He eats it anyway and does not pay.
(c) He leaves his food at the counter and sits down to watch his friend eat.
(d) He storms out of the cafeteria.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do at this revival?
2. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
3. What do the children do one by one?
4. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
5. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)