|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Go to church every Sunday.
(b) Babysit her children.
(c) Clean the house every Saturday.
(d) Read every night.
2. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) A great chance.
(b) Little chance.
(c) No chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
3. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He rereads them.
(b) He puts them in a crate.
(c) He gives them away.
(d) He throws them into the sea.
4. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
(a) Langston's mother and father reunite in Mexico.
(b) Langston's mother and father get remarried.
(c) Langston's mother and stepfather have another child.
(d) Langston's mother and his stepfather reunite in Cleveland.
5. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) There are not enough sleeping cars.
(b) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
(c) He does not have enough money.
(d) He is black.
6. What is Lincoln?
(a) A college that accepts many black students.
(b) A liberal arts college.
(c) A public university for black students.
(d) A prestigious school for blacks.
7. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
8. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He hints at getting full custody.
(b) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(c) He offers to pay his way.
(d) He will buy him a new car.
9. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His stepfather.
(d) His stepbrother.
10. Why do the children do this?
(a) They want to assist with the service.
(b) They claim to be saved.
(c) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
(d) They want to be professional singers.
11. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Stay with her in Chicago.
(b) Go to Mexico.
(c) Move to New York.
(d) Get a job in Cleveland.
12. What happens during a revival?
(a) Langston accepts Jesus as his savior.
(b) The entire congregaton prays for the souls of the children.
(c) The children of the congregation are baptized.
(d) Langston finally attends church with the Reeds.
13. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) They are lazy and foolish.
(b) He can relate to them.
(c) They should all move to Mexico.
(d) They should be given equality.
14. What does Langston's mother write?
(a) Verse for church programs.
(b) Sermons for church.
15. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
(a) He works in the engine room.
(b) He serves the captain.
(c) He is a cook.
(d) He is a mess boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he do during this activity?
2. Where does Langston spend his first evening in New York?
3. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
4. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
5. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)