|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is unsatisfying.
(b) It is fine.
(c) It is exciting.
(d) It is satisfying.
2. How does Mary make her living?
(a) By working as a professor at the University of Kansas.
(b) By cooking, cleaning, and washing for rich white families.
(c) By renting rooms to college students who went to the University of Kansas.
(d) By waitressing in a small diner.
3. What has Langston's mother just done?
(a) Had another child.
(c) Divorced his father.
(d) Moved in with her sister.
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(b) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
5. What happens during a revival?
(a) Langston accepts Jesus as his savior.
(b) The entire congregaton prays for the souls of the children.
(c) The children of the congregation are baptized.
(d) Langston finally attends church with the Reeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
2. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
3. In what activity is Hughes involved?
4. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
5. How are his first few months in this city?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)