|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(b) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(c) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
(d) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
2. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) Carmel, California.
(b) On Lincoln's campus.
(c) New York City.
3. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
(a) His mother and he move to Mexico City.
(b) His father joins them in Chicago.
(c) His family moves to New York.
(d) He visits his father in Mexico for a summer.
4. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
(b) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(c) For the completion of a book of poems.
(d) For the completion of his autobiography.
5. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(b) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(c) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(d) He is still treated unequally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
2. In what activity is Hughes involved?
3. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
4. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
5. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)