|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(b) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(c) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(d) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
2. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(b) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
(c) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(d) An old African man.
3. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(b) A jazz concert hall.
(c) A prison.
(d) A camp for refugees.
4. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) Due to public outbursts.
(b) They are afraid of him.
(c) No one wants to hear him speak.
(d) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
5. Where will he be joining these people?
(a) In Lincoln, Illinois.
(b) In Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) In Washington, DC.
(d) In Chicago, Illinois.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
2. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
3. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
4. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
5. On what does he spend his money?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)