|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(b) An actress who is also a writer.
(c) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
(d) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
2. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
(a) It is not as primitive as the movies had portrayed.
(b) He feels welcome.
(c) The people are kind.
(d) It is as primitive as he expected.
3. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The Reeds.
(b) The Smiths.
(c) The Campbells.
(d) The DeVanes.
4. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(b) The Karamu.
5. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(b) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(c) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(d) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
2. How does Mary make her living?
3. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
4. In what community center does Langston become involved?
5. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)