|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Gary, Indiana.
(c) Hammond, Indiana.
(d) Indianapolis, Indiana.
2. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
3. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
(a) She does not speak to white people.
(b) She refuses to cook, clean, or wash for rich white families.
(c) She charges a great deal of money to work for white people.
(d) She never asks for help.
4. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(b) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
(c) He is one of the few black students.
(d) He is very intelligent.
5. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
(c) Jim Crow laws.
(d) Open jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
2. How does Hughes find the script, which was written by a Russian?
3. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
4. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
5. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)