|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A four hundred dollar prize.
(b) A four thousand dollar prize.
(c) A one hundred dollar prize.
(d) A one thousand dollar prize.
2. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) To cook for the officers.
(b) To swab the deck.
(c) To steer the ship.
(d) To watch over the petty officers' mess and make up their staterooms.
3. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
(a) Open jobs.
(b) Jim Crow laws.
4. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Teach them a poetry lesson.
(b) Read some of his poetry to them.
(c) Encourage them to be writers.
(d) Write a poem about them.
5. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
(a) Langston's mother and father get remarried.
(b) Langston's mother and his stepfather reunite in Cleveland.
(c) Langston's mother and stepfather have another child.
(d) Langston's mother and father reunite in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
2. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
3. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
4. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
5. How is Langston treated in Africa?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)