|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(b) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(c) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(d) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
2. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
(a) Writing and handing out pamphlets to the public.
(b) Speaking to people at rallies.
(c) Advertisements for the radio.
(d) Writing advertisements for billboards.
3. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
(a) Be an acolyte.
(b) Act out a role.
(c) Be in the choir.
(d) Read the Gospel.
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(b) He is still treated unequally.
(c) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(d) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
2. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
3. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
4. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
5. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)