|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
(a) He receives a telgram saying his father is dead.
(b) He receives a letter from his mother saying his father is dead.
(c) His father is ill.
(d) His father calls him.
2. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(b) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
(c) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
3. Has Langston become interested in writing?
(b) Not yet.
(c) Yes, just recently.
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
5. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(b) To travel to Russia.
(c) To travel through Asia.
(d) To travel to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hughes find the script, which was written by a Russian?
2. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
3. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
4. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
5. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)