|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Encourage them to be writers.
(b) Write a poem about them.
(c) Teach them a poetry lesson.
(d) Read some of his poetry to them.
2. Of what is Langston an active member?
(a) The Spanish Club.
(b) The basketball team.
(c) Several teams and clubs.
(d) The debate team.
3. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The Smiths.
(b) The Reeds.
(c) The Campbells.
(d) The DeVanes.
4. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(b) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(c) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(d) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
5. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(b) His father.
(c) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(d) The Rosenwood Fund.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston attend high school?
2. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
3. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
5. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)