|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Read some of his poetry to them.
(b) Encourage them to be writers.
(c) Teach them a poetry lesson.
(d) Write a poem about them.
2. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) His father is gone most of the time.
(d) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
3. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
(a) They are rude and disrespectful.
(b) They do not want him to visit.
(c) They do not care for his mother.
(d) They are snobby and indifferent to black suffering.
4. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
(a) He receives a telgram saying his father is dead.
(b) He receives a letter from his mother saying his father is dead.
(c) His father is ill.
(d) His father calls him.
5. What is Lincoln?
(a) A public university for black students.
(b) A college that accepts many black students.
(c) A liberal arts college.
(d) A prestigious school for blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
2. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
3. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
4. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
5. In how many books does Simple appear?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)