|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, The Bloody Spanish Earth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is rarely around.
(b) His father encourages him to write.
(c) His father is around most of the time.
(d) He makes many friends.
2. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
(a) The Harrison Street School.
(b) Poly Preparatory School.
(c) Berkeley-Carroll School.
(d) Indian Creek School.
3. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) An old African man.
(b) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(c) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(d) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
4. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
5. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a writer.
(b) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
(c) Langston wants to be a painter.
(d) Langston does not want to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
2. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
3. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
4. What does Langston do that evening?
5. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)