|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, The Bloody Spanish Earth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
(b) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(c) An actress who is also a writer.
(d) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
2. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Ethel Weimer.
(b) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(c) Miss Ellen Conn.
(d) Miss Emily Mills.
3. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(b) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(c) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(d) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
4. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
5. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(a) The Bronx.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
2. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
3. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
4. Why do the children do this?
5. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)