|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19, The Bloody Spanish Earth.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) They will be a part of his new life.
(b) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
(c) He decides they are a part of his past.
(d) He is glad he brought them.
2. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) A jazz concert hall.
(b) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(c) A camp for refugees.
(d) A prison.
3. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) A private yacht headed to Africa.
(b) A freighter headed to Africa.
(c) A sailboat headed to Africa.
(d) A cruise ship headed to Africa.
4. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(b) They do not trust white people.
(c) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(d) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
5. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He rereads them.
(b) He puts them in a crate.
(c) He throws them into the sea.
(d) He gives them away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
2. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
3. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
4. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
5. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)