|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Around the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A one thousand dollar prize.
(b) A four hundred dollar prize.
(c) A four thousand dollar prize.
(d) A one hundred dollar prize.
2. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He calls his mother.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He cries himself to sleep.
(d) He prays.
3. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Write a poem about them.
(b) Read some of his poetry to them.
(c) Teach them a poetry lesson.
(d) Encourage them to be writers.
4. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It closes after only one performance.
(b) It has a small amount of success.
(c) It is very successful.
(d) It is never seen.
5. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(b) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(c) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(d) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
2. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
3. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
4. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
5. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)