|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16, Around the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(b) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(c) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(d) He is still treated unequally.
2. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
(d) His mother and aunt.
3. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(d) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
4. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) He is visiting his father.
(b) His is doing a poetry reading there.
(c) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(d) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
5. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) His father is gone most of the time.
(d) He does not have friends in Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are among Langston's classmates?
2. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
3. What does Hughes do with the books?
4. Whose poems does Langston like?
5. What happens during a revival?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)