|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Africa.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) The many people who support the war.
(b) Social interaction.
(c) Many different views on racial issues.
(d) Many different views on the war.
2. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
(b) No, but he attends graduate school there.
(d) No, because he transfers to NYU.
3. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(b) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(c) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(d) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
4. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
(a) There are not enough sleeping cars.
(b) He is too young to have a sleeping car.
(c) He is black.
(d) He does not have enough money.
5. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(c) Only a few.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
2. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
3. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
4. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
5. How does Langston help this family?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)