|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, Africa.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Emily Mills.
(b) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(c) Miss Ethel Weimer.
(d) Miss Ellen Conn.
2. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
(b) His best friend.
(c) His mother.
(d) The doctor.
3. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
(a) He begins watching movies at the opera house.
(b) He complains to the management.
(c) He stays at home.
(d) He runs away.
4. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
5. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(b) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(c) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
(d) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
2. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
3. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
4. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
5. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)