|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, I've Known Rivers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Langston's mother send for him?
(a) When he is eight.
(b) When he is twelve.
(c) When he is ten.
(d) When he is fourteen.
2. Why do the children do this?
(a) Their families bring them to church every Sunday.
(b) They want to assist with the service.
(c) They claim to be saved.
(d) They want to be professional singers.
3. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He joins the track team.
(b) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(c) He is prom king.
(d) He becomes class president.
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(d) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
5. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Babysit her children.
(b) Clean the house every Saturday.
(c) Read every night.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
2. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
5. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)