|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 22, Simple Speaks His Mind.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
(b) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
(c) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(d) He is a simple man, like many people.
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Write a poem about them.
(b) Read some of his poetry to them.
(c) Encourage them to be writers.
(d) Teach them a poetry lesson.
3. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
4. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
(a) He complains to the management.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He begins watching movies at the opera house.
(d) He stays at home.
5. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He joins the track team.
(b) He is prom king.
(c) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(d) He becomes class president.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
2. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
3. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
4. When Langston has had enough of the ocean and asked for his pay, where does he travel?
5. Why does Langston become depressed?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)