|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Columbia vs. Harlem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
2. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
(a) A lot.
(d) Quite a bit.
3. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She has him meet with the pastor.
(b) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
(c) She begins to cry hysterically.
(d) She sends him to live with his father.
4. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
(a) He stays at home.
(b) He complains to the management.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He begins watching movies at the opera house.
5. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) They will be a part of his new life.
(b) He decides they are a part of his past.
(c) He is glad he brought them.
(d) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
2. What has Langston's mother just done?
3. Why do the children do this?
4. How does Langston know this influential woman?
5. What does Langston's mother write?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)