|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Columbia vs. Harlem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Many different views on racial issues.
(c) The many people who support the war.
(d) Many different views on the war.
2. As what is Langston's mother employed?
(a) A maid.
(b) A nanny.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A cook.
3. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He prays.
(b) He calls his mother.
(c) He writes a letter to his mother.
(d) He cries himself to sleep.
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
5. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) He is glad he brought them.
(b) He decides they are a part of his past.
(c) They will be a part of his new life.
(d) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Langston's mother send for him?
2. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
3. What does Hughes do with the books?
4. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
5. Whose poems does Langston like?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)