|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Columbia vs. Harlem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(b) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
2. What does Langston's mother write?
(b) Sermons for church.
(d) Verse for church programs.
3. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother.
(b) His mother and aunt.
(c) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
4. What happens during a revival?
(a) The entire congregaton prays for the souls of the children.
(b) Langston accepts Jesus as his savior.
(c) Langston finally attends church with the Reeds.
(d) The children of the congregation are baptized.
5. What does Langston do at this revival?
(a) He refuses to join the children by the altar.
(b) He pretends to be saved.
(c) He is saved.
(d) He hides in a back pew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
2. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
3. Where does Langston attend high school?
4. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
5. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)