|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Columbia vs. Harlem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) He is glad he brought them.
(b) He decides they are a part of his past.
(c) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
(d) They will be a part of his new life.
2. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) The many people who support the war.
(b) Many different views on the war.
(c) Social interaction.
(d) Many different views on racial issues.
3. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She begins to cry hysterically.
(b) She sends him to live with his father.
(c) She has him meet with the pastor.
(d) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
4. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He trips and drops the candle.
(b) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(c) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
(d) He refuses to sing.
5. What does Langston do at this revival?
(a) He is saved.
(b) He pretends to be saved.
(c) He hides in a back pew.
(d) He refuses to join the children by the altar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
2. What does Langston learn at this community center?
3. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
4. In what does Hughes become interested?
5. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)