|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Columbia vs. Harlem.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He will buy him a new car.
(b) He offers to pay his way.
(c) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(d) He hints at getting full custody.
2. What does Langston observe while working at a soda fountain?
(a) Social interaction.
(b) Many different views on racial issues.
(c) Many different views on the war.
(d) The many people who support the war.
3. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
(a) In Fire.
(b) In Columbia University's paper.
(c) In The Crisis.
(d) In the Black Renaissance.
4. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Read every night.
(b) Clean the house every Saturday.
(c) Babysit her children.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
5. Who takes Langston in?
(a) The Reeds.
(b) The Campbells.
(c) The DeVanes.
(d) The Smiths.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
2. Where will he be joining these people?
3. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
5. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)