|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(b) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(c) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(d) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
2. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) A camp for refugees.
(b) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(c) A prison.
(d) A jazz concert hall.
3. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is rarely around.
(b) He makes many friends.
(c) His father is around most of the time.
(d) His father encourages him to write.
4. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
(b) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(c) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(d) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
5. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
2. Where will he be joining these people?
3. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
4. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
5. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)