|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(a) Only a few.
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(b) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
3. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother and aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(b) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(c) He is still treated unequally.
(d) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
5. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(b) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(c) An old African man.
(d) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Langston rather read?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. What is Lincoln?
4. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
5. What does his mother do afterward?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)