|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(b) The American South.
(c) The American Southwest.
(d) The American West.
2. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
(b) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(c) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
(d) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
3. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
(a) It is not as primitive as the movies had portrayed.
(b) He feels welcome.
(c) It is as primitive as he expected.
(d) The people are kind.
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(b) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
5. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(b) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(c) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(d) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who will Langston be joining?
2. Whose poems does Langston like?
3. What has Langston's mother just done?
4. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
5. Has Langston become interested in writing?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)