|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
(a) It is not as primitive as the movies had portrayed.
(b) The people are kind.
(c) He feels welcome.
(d) It is as primitive as he expected.
2. What would Langston rather read?
(b) Historical fiction.
(d) Science fiction.
3. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He begins his autobiography.
(b) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(c) He writes a letter to his mother.
(d) He thinks about his life.
4. In what activity is Hughes involved?
(a) The school basketball team.
(b) The school paper.
(c) The school Communist organization.
(d) The school band.
5. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By working on his autobiography.
(b) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(c) By reading and writing.
(d) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. Who will Langston be joining?
4. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
5. What does Langston's mother write?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)