|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(b) He thinks about his life.
(c) He begins his autobiography.
(d) He writes a letter to his mother.
2. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
(b) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(c) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(d) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
3. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) To swab the deck.
(b) To watch over the petty officers' mess and make up their staterooms.
(c) To cook for the officers.
(d) To steer the ship.
4. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Literature and theater.
(c) Education and literature.
(d) Theater and music.
5. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public university.
(b) In a private all boys' technical college.
(c) In a public school in Mexico City.
(d) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
2. What does his mother do afterward?
3. When does Langston's mother send for him?
4. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
5. Has Langston become interested in writing?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)