|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(b) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
(c) He trips and drops the candle.
(d) He refuses to sing.
2. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
(b) She sends him to live with his father.
(c) She has him meet with the pastor.
(d) She begins to cry hysterically.
3. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(b) His mother and aunt.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) On Lincoln's campus.
(b) Carmel, California.
(c) New York City.
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(c) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(d) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Langston treated in Africa?
2. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
3. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
4. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
5. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)