|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) In a large fee.
(b) With a thank you dinner.
(c) With free college tuition.
(d) With an article in the local paper.
2. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(b) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(c) He is still treated unequally.
(d) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
3. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston does not want to go to college.
(b) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
(c) Langston wants to be a painter.
(d) Langston wants to be a writer.
4. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(b) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
(c) An old African man.
(d) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
5. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Literature and theater.
(b) Music and literature.
(c) Theater and music.
(d) Education and literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
2. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
3. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
4. Who will Langston be joining?
5. What does his mother do afterward?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)