|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a writer.
(b) Langston does not want to go to college.
(c) Langston wants to be a painter.
(d) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
2. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By working on his autobiography.
(b) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(c) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(d) By reading and writing.
3. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He is one of the few black students.
(b) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
(c) He is very intelligent.
(d) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
4. What would Langston rather read?
(a) Historical fiction.
(d) Science fiction.
5. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He offers to pay his way.
(d) He will buy him a new car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
2. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
3. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
4. What does his mother do afterward?
5. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)