|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston does not want to go to college.
(b) Langston wants to be a writer.
(c) Langston wants to be a painter.
(d) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
2. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
(b) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(c) He trips and drops the candle.
(d) He refuses to sing.
3. What would Langston rather read?
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) Carmel, California.
(b) On Lincoln's campus.
(c) New York City.
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
2. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
3. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
4. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
5. In what activity is Hughes involved?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)