|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He begins his autobiography.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He thinks about his life.
(d) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
2. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a public university.
(b) In a public school in Mexico City.
(c) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(d) In a private all boys' technical college.
3. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(b) Only a few.
4. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) To watch over the petty officers' mess and make up their staterooms.
(b) To steer the ship.
(c) To cook for the officers.
(d) To swab the deck.
5. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He offers to pay his way.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He will buy him a new car.
(d) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
Short Answer Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
2. When does Langston's mother send for him?
3. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
4. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
5. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)