|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
(a) To swab the deck.
(b) To watch over the petty officers' mess and make up their staterooms.
(c) To cook for the officers.
(d) To steer the ship.
2. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Theater and music.
(b) Literature and theater.
(c) Education and literature.
(d) Music and literature.
3. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is around most of the time.
(b) His father is rarely around.
(c) His father encourages him to write.
(d) He makes many friends.
4. Has Langston become interested in writing?
(b) Not yet.
(d) Yes, just recently.
5. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
(a) Langston wants to be a mining engineer.
(b) Langston wants to be a painter.
(c) Langston wants to be a writer.
(d) Langston does not want to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
2. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
3. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
4. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
5. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)