|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Go to Mexico.
(b) Get a job in Cleveland.
(c) Move to New York.
(d) Stay with her in Chicago.
2. What does his mother do afterward?
(a) She begins to cry hysterically.
(b) She whips him and teaches him a lesson about respecting other people's art.
(c) She sends him to live with his father.
(d) She has him meet with the pastor.
3. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) Carmel, California.
(b) On Lincoln's campus.
(d) New York City.
4. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) No chance.
(b) A great chance.
(c) Little chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
5. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
(a) He does not appear as "black" as other students.
(b) Because of his mild celebrity attributed to "The Weary Blues."
(c) He is one of the few black students.
(d) He is very intelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
2. What is Lincoln?
3. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
5. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)