|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Langston's mother just done?
(b) Had another child.
(c) Divorced his father.
(d) Moved in with her sister.
2. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
(b) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(c) He trips and drops the candle.
(d) He refuses to sing.
3. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He thinks about his life.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(d) He begins his autobiography.
4. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(b) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(c) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
5. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He offers to pay his way.
(b) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(c) He will buy him a new car.
(d) He hints at getting full custody.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln?
2. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
3. What does Langston's mother write?
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
5. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)