Two Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, Not Without Laughter.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(b) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(c) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(d) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
2. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(b) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
(c) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(d) An old African man.
3. When does Langston's mother send for him?
(a) When he is fourteen.
(b) When he is eight.
(c) When he is twelve.
(d) When he is ten.
4. Where will he be joining these people?
(a) In Chicago, Illinois.
(b) In Washington, DC.
(c) In Cleveland, Ohio.
(d) In Lincoln, Illinois.
5. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(b) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(c) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(d) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
2. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
3. What has Langston's mother just done?
4. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
5. What is Hughes' job aboard the S.S. West Hesseltine?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)