|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Rehearsal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It is very successful.
(b) It has a small amount of success.
(c) It closes after only one performance.
(d) It is never seen.
2. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(d) New York.
3. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Move to New York.
(b) Go to Mexico.
(c) Get a job in Cleveland.
(d) Stay with her in Chicago.
4. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black university called New Negro College.
(b) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
(c) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(d) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
2. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
3. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)