|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Rehearsal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
2. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
(a) Move to New York.
(b) Get a job in Cleveland.
(c) Stay with her in Chicago.
(d) Go to Mexico.
3. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
4. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He offers to pay his way.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
(d) He will buy him a new car.
5. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
(a) Little chance.
(b) No chance.
(c) A great chance.
(d) No, because he does not want to go to college.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
2. What has this place become?
3. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)