|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Rehearsal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(b) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(c) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(d) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
2. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is rarely around.
(b) His father encourages him to write.
(c) His father is around most of the time.
(d) He makes many friends.
3. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
(a) At the Croswell.
(b) At Footlite.
(c) At the Wintergarden.
(d) At Karamu.
4. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(a) New York.
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(b) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
2. What does his mother receive while they are there?
3. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
4. What has this place become?
5. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)