|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Rehearsal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his senior year of high school, what happens to Langston?
(a) He becomes class president.
(b) He is elected editor of the yearbook and class poet.
(c) He is prom king.
(d) He joins the track team.
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(b) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
3. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
4. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With hostile reviews.
(b) With positive reviews.
(c) With negative reviews.
(d) With mixed reviews.
5. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
(a) The Black Renaissance.
(b) The Black Wave.
(c) The African American Movement.
(d) The Harlem Movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
2. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
3. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
4. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
5. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)