|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 18, Rehearsal.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
(a) In a private business school and in a girls' finishing school.
(b) In a public university.
(c) In a public school in Mexico City.
(d) In a private all boys' technical college.
2. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(c) The Bronx.
3. What has this place become?
(a) A church.
(b) A theater company.
(c) A club.
(d) A restaurant.
4. Why is this summer called the 'Red Summer?'
(a) Because the fear of Communism has spread like wildfire.
(b) Because many Chinese are moving to the country.
(c) Because the summer has record high temperatures.
(d) Because of the violence against blacks that ensues in the post war environment.
5. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
(a) He writes one of his better-known poems, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers."
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He begins his autobiography.
(d) He thinks about his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
3. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)