|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lancelot usually do after dinner and saying goodnight to the person?
2. Where did Lancelot and Margot sit while they talked on the rainy night?
3. In Chapter 3, Lancelot inquired with Elgin whether what item still worked?
4. In Chapter 4, what does Lancelot refer to Lucy as?
5. What did Lancelot and Margot share to drink during the rainy night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elgin report about Margot's night at the Holiday Inn?
2. What was Margot doing the summer Siobhan was conceived?
3. Lancelot compares his discovery of his wife's infidelity to what?
4. How does Lancelot appear to be growing more unstable as the story continues?
5. How did Margot show an interest in Belle Island the first night Lancelot met her?
6. Who is Elgin?
7. What did Margot do to the pigeonnier?
8. What is Lancelot's design for a new world?
9. How did Lancelot know the Grand Kleagle and what did he do to him?
10. What did Lancelot feel when Raine flirted with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a "foil" in literature? What is the purpose of the foil? Give at least two examples of characters in this book who function as foils and describe their purpose.
Essay Topic 2
Lancelot says that "All he had to do was solve the mystery of the universe, which may be difficult but is not as difficult as living an ordinary life." Do you believe that Lancelot's statement accurately portrays his character? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is a metaphor? What are two metaphors the author uses and are they effective?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)