|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Elgin report was also at the hotel that night?
2. Where did Lancelot and Margot sit while they talked on the rainy night?
3. What did Lancelot do the night he learned of his wife's infidelity?
4. What does Lancelot admit to his friend at the end of Chapter 5?
5. Why is Lancelot telling his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Elgin think he is going to the Holiday Inn?
2. How did Lancelot feel about Lucy's death?
3. What is the difference between Lancelot's attraction to each wife?
4. Instead of going upstairs after dinner, where did Lancelot go?
5. How did Margot show an interest in Belle Island the first night Lancelot met her?
6. Why would Elgin do anything for Lancelot?
7. How does Lancelot appear to be growing more unstable as the story continues?
8. Does Lancelot believe Elgin, that Margot is faithful to him?
9. Why is Lancelot telling his story to Harry?
10. Lancelot compares his discovery of his wife's infidelity to what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Lancelot obsessed with infidelity? Give three examples of how this obsession manifests itself in the story.
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of love dealt with in this story? Give at least three examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Was Harry ever really present? What pieces of evidence in the story lead you to believe that Harry was, or was not, present?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)