|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lancelot see his wife flirting after dinner?
2. Where was Lancelot's wife the summer his daughter was conceived?
3. In Chapter 3, Lancelot describes falling into a rut after giving up his occupation and his pursuits, and the rut revolving around what two things?
4. When Elgin returned with his reports from the hotel, what did Elgin report that he couldn't see?
5. At the end of Chapter 4, where did Lancelot ask Elgin to go?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason does Elgin think he is going to the Holiday Inn?
2. Why is Lancelot obsessed with Margot's infidelity?
3. What happened to Lancelot's first wife?
4. How did Lancelot feel about Lucy's death?
5. How does Lancelot appear to be growing more unstable as the story continues?
6. Who is Elgin?
7. What happened to Lancelot's job when he married Margot?
8. What did Lancelot feel when Raine flirted with him?
9. What was Margot doing the summer Siobhan was conceived?
10. What does Lancelot believe love causes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lancelot says that "All he had to do was solve the mystery of the universe, which may be difficult but is not as difficult as living an ordinary life." Do you believe that Lancelot's statement accurately portrays his character? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using the book to support your answer, explain whether neglect is a theme of the book, and how it is used.
Essay Topic 3
Is Lancelot a moral character? What about the others? Why? What definition of moral character are you using? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)