|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Lancelot repeatedly comes back to what question?
2. Who is Lucy Cobb?
3. Who is Anna?
4. What did the item in Lancelot's father's sock drawer seem to prove?
5. Why was Lancelot staying in the pigeoneer at the time of his wife's infidelity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lancelot attempt to talk to the girl in the room next door?
2. What does Lancelot believe love causes?
3. How did Margot show an interest in Belle Island the first night Lancelot met her?
4. When Lancelot went to say goodnight to Siobhan and Tex, what did Tex pester Lancelot about?
5. What happened to Lancelot's job when he married Margot?
6. For what reason does Elgin think he is going to the Holiday Inn?
7. What happened to Lancelot's first wife?
8. When does Lancelot claim to remember why he is in the hospital?
9. What did Lancelot feel when Raine flirted with him?
10. Lancelot compares his discovery of his wife's infidelity to what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the novel, explain what it is that causes a man to be so harmed by adultery. Use at least three examples or scenes from the book in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lancelot says that "All he had to do was solve the mystery of the universe, which may be difficult but is not as difficult as living an ordinary life." Do you believe that Lancelot's statement accurately portrays his character? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What is a "foil" in literature? What is the purpose of the foil? Give at least two examples of characters in this book who function as foils and describe their purpose.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)