|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
2. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
3. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
4. What part of God is never seen?
5. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
2. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
3. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
6. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
7. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
8. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
9. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
10. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)