|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
2. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
3. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
4. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
5. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
2. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
3. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
4. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
5. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
6. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
7. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
8. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
9. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
10. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why loss produces a sense that something has ended, using examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)