|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
2. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
3. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
4. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
5. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
2. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
3. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
6. Who are the mourners?
7. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
8. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
9. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
10. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Nicholas believe it means to be human, using examples from the book to support your position. You may also read the texts or passages referenced by Nicholas.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)