|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
2. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
3. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
4. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
5. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
2. Who are the mourners?
3. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
4. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
5. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
6. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
7. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
8. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
9. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
10. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)