|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
2. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
3. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
4. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
5. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
2. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
3. Who are the mourners?
4. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
5. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
6. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
7. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
8. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
9. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
10. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether Nicholas does or does not stop believing in God because of Eric's death. Use examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)