|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
2. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
3. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
4. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
5. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
2. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
3. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
4. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
5. Who are the mourners?
6. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
7. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
8. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
9. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
10. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)