|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
2. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
3. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
4. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
5. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
2. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
3. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
4. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
5. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
6. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
7. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
8. Who are the mourners?
9. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
10. In what respects does man mirror God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Nicholas chose a lamentation to express the pain he felt regarding Eric's death. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)