|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
2. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
3. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
4. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
5. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
2. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
3. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
4. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
5. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
6. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
7. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
8. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
9. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
10. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss what "inscape" is and how it related to Eric.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)