|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
2. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
3. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
4. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
5. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
2. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
3. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
4. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
5. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
6. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
7. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
8. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
9. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
10. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)