|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
2. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
3. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
4. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
5. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
2. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
3. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
4. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
5. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
6. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
7. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
8. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
9. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
10. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss what "inscape" is and how it related to Eric.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)