|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
2. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
3. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
4. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
5. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
2. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
3. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
4. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
5. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
6. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
7. In what respects does man mirror God?
8. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
9. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
10. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)