|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
2. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
3. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
4. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
5. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
2. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
3. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
4. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
5. In what respects does man mirror God?
6. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
7. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
8. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
9. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
10. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Nicholas chose a lamentation to express the pain he felt regarding Eric's death. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)