|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
2. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
3. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
4. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
5. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
2. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
3. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
4. In what respects does man mirror God?
5. Who are the mourners?
6. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
7. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
8. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
9. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
10. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)