|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
2. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
3. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
4. On page 60, Nicholas speaks of an image that haunts him. Where is he standing in this image?
5. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
2. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
3. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
6. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
7. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
8. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
9. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
10. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Nicholas chose a lamentation to express the pain he felt regarding Eric's death. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast what Jesus and what the Stoics felt about mourning, as explained in this book. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)