|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
2. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
3. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
4. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
5. How many children did Nicholas have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
2. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
3. Who are the mourners?
4. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
5. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
6. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
7. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
8. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
9. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
10. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what Jesus and what the Stoics felt about mourning, as explained in this book. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)