|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
2. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
3. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
4. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
5. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
2. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
3. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
4. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
5. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
6. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
7. In what respects does man mirror God?
8. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
9. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
10. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss what "inscape" is and how it related to Eric.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)