|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
2. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
3. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
4. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
5. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
2. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
3. In what respects does man mirror God?
4. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
5. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
6. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
7. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
8. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
9. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
10. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)