|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
2. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
3. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
4. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
5. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
2. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
3. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
4. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
5. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
6. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
7. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
8. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
9. Who are the mourners?
10. In what respects does man mirror God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)