|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does every act of evil extract from God?
2. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
3. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
4. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
5. How many children did Nicholas have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what respects does man mirror God?
2. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
3. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
4. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
5. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
6. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
7. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
8. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
9. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
10. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)