|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
2. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
3. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
4. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
5. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
2. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
3. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
6. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
7. Who are the mourners?
8. In what respects does man mirror God?
9. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
10. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)