|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
2. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
3. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
4. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
5. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
2. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
3. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
4. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
5. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
6. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
7. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
8. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
9. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
10. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Nicholas chose a lamentation to express the pain he felt regarding Eric's death. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)