|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
2. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
3. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
4. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
5. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
2. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
3. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
4. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
5. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
6. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
7. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
8. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
9. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
10. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)