|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many seconds did Nicholas feel the peace of resignation after learning of Eric's death?
2. Who does Nicholas say "scarcely looks ahead; his plans are cautious, few, short-term"?
3. Who told Eric's friends that he had died?
4. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
5. What time of day did Nicholas return from Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
2. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
3. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
4. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
5. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
6. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
7. What sacrament was celebrated at Eric's funeral?
8. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
9. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
10. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what Jesus and what the Stoics felt about mourning, as explained in this book. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why loss produces a sense that something has ended, using examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)