|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
2. What color hair did Eric have?
3. Which author in the Bible wrote that someone who dies is like a cloud that vanishes?
4. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
5. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
2. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
3. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
4. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
5. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
6. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
7. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
8. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
9. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
10. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss what "inscape" is and how it related to Eric.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)