|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who composed the liturgy used at Eric's funeral?
2. What was placed on the coffin after the opening words of the liturgy?
3. What mountain did Eric plan to climb later that summer?
4. In Eric's thesis, what person was he especially interested in writing about?
5. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
2. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
3. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
4. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
5. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
6. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
7. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
8. When was Eric born and when did he die?
9. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
10. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)