|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say that a friend's tears are to his wounds?
2. In the dispute over the future direction of architecture, what styles did the winners of the debate promote?
3. What did Claire read at the funeral?
4. Where did Nicholas have to go to reclaim Eric's body?
5. How old was Eric when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
2. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
3. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
4. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
5. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
6. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
7. What was Eric's educational background?
8. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
9. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
10. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)