|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When death is seen as a slicing of what God declared to be, then what is death?
2. Who composed the liturgy used at Eric's funeral?
3. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
4. What does Nicholas say withers and what remains?
5. In what city was Eric born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
2. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
3. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
4. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
5. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
6. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
7. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
8. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
9. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
10. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)