|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eric give up because it did not fit his plans?
2. Who was on the plane that Nicholas took to Europe?
3. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
4. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
5. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
2. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
3. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
4. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
5. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
6. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
7. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
8. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
9. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
10. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)