|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
2. What does Nicholas say that a friend's tears are to his wounds?
3. What sacrament was celebrated at the funeral?
4. Which author in the Bible wrote that someone who dies is like a cloud that vanishes?
5. What time of day did Nicholas return from Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
2. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
3. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
4. When was Eric born and when did he die?
5. Why would Nicholas get angry with Eric?
6. What was Eric's educational background?
7. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
8. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
9. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
10. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Nicholas believe it means to be human, using examples from the book to support your position. You may also read the texts or passages referenced by Nicholas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)