|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Eric's friends that he had died?
2. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
3. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
4. Where did Eric spend many days in the last months of his life?
5. What author does Nicholas quote, who says that "No man is an island"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
2. Why are Christ's wounds his identity, according to Section 9?
3. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
6. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
7. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
8. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
9. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
10. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Nicholas believe it means to be human, using examples from the book to support your position. You may also read the texts or passages referenced by Nicholas.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)