|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one of Eric's brothers place on the coffin?
2. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
3. What does Nicholas say withers and what remains?
4. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
5. What became Eric's major?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
2. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
3. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
4. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
5. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
6. What was Eric's educational background?
7. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
8. What sacrament was celebrated at Eric's funeral?
9. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
10. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from "Lament for a Son," discuss how Nicholas believes the family can live faithfully and authentically now that Eric is gone.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)