|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
2. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
3. What became Eric's major?
4. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
5. Where did much of the music come from that was played at Eric's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
2. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
3. When was Eric born and when did he die?
4. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
5. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
6. What was Eric's educational background?
7. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
8. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
9. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
10. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)