|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had the special cloth been used before at other funerals?
2. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
3. Who did Nicholas meet with after he returned from Europe?
4. What became Eric's major?
5. Who told Eric's friends that he had died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
2. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
3. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
4. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
5. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
6. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
7. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
8. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
9. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
10. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast what Nicholas and Eric lost because of Eric's premature death.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)