|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nicholas have to go to reclaim Eric's body?
2. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
3. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
4. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
5. What did Eric spend much of one summer helping to rebuild?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
2. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
3. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
4. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
5. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
6. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
7. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
8. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
9. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
10. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Eric enjoyed climbing alone, using examples from the book to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why loss produces a sense that something has ended, using examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)