|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of books were on a table in Eric's apartment?
2. How many of Eric's friends did Nicholas meet when he went to Eric's apartment?
3. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
4. How old was Eric when he asked Nicholas how "we know there's God?"
5. Who insisted on seeing Eric's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
2. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
3. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
4. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
5. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
6. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
7. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
8. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
9. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
10. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what Nicholas believe it means to be human, using examples from the book to support your position. You may also read the texts or passages referenced by Nicholas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)