|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eric spend many days in the last months of his life?
2. What hope did not console Nicholas?
3. How old was Eric when he died?
4. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
5. What became Eric's major?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
2. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
3. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
4. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
5. When was Eric born and when did he die?
6. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
7. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
8. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
9. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
10. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what Nicholas believe it means to be human, using examples from the book to support your position. You may also read the texts or passages referenced by Nicholas.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)