|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week did Eric die?
2. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
3. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
4. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
5. Where did Eric die?
Short Essay Questions
1. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
2. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
3. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
4. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
5. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
6. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
7. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
8. When was Eric born and when did he die?
9. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
10. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss what Nicholas believes are the right and wrong ways to comfort those who are grieving. Look at different ways or methods of grieving and compare or contrast these with Nicholas' view.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why Nicholas explains that man is a reflection of God, using examples from "A Lament for a Son."
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)