|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
2. What was the subject of Eric's thesis?
3. Who insisted on seeing Eric's body?
4. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
5. On page 47, to what did memories lead Nicholas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
2. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
3. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
4. What does Nicholas think might happen when God raises Eric and the rest of mankind from the dead?
5. In what respects does man mirror God?
6. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
7. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
8. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
9. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
10. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)