|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 47, to what did memories lead Nicholas?
2. What was the final hymn at Eric's funeral?
3. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
4. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
5. What did Eric spend much of one summer helping to rebuild?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Eric's educational background?
2. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
3. When was Eric born and when did he die?
4. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
5. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
6. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
7. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
8. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
9. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
10. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Christ's resurrection relates to death and suffering. Consider how Nicholas relates this to the suffering of man and death of man. What does Nicholas believe will happen to Eric's body at the end of time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the benefits of suffering, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why loss produces a sense that something has ended, using examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)