|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
2. What color hair did Eric have?
3. What was the weather like when Nicholas received the call that Eric died?
4. Where did Eric die?
5. What was read at the grave site?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
2. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
3. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
4. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
5. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
6. Why would Nicholas get angry with Eric?
7. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
8. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
9. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
10. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how God suffers, based on Nicholas' religious beliefs and the texts referenced.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the struggle that Nicholas had when he tried to return to ordinary life and to his work.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)