|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Eric's apartment?
2. How many of Eric's friends did Nicholas meet when he went to Eric's apartment?
3. How old was Eric when he nearly died because he would not admit that he could not swim?
4. Where did Eric die?
5. What color hair did Eric have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
2. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
3. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
4. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
5. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
6. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
7. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
8. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
9. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
10. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Nicholas explains God and man suffering together and how they find release from suffering together.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Nicholas chose a lamentation to express the pain he felt regarding Eric's death. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the regrets that Nicholas has regarding Eric and how he deals with his regrets.
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)