|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
2. Who does Nicholas say looks neither behind nor ahead because her humanity is just beginning?
3. What day of the week was Eric's body returned to them?
4. What hope did not console Nicholas?
5. In what city was Eric born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
2. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
3. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
4. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
5. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
6. What sacrament was celebrated at Eric's funeral?
7. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
8. In what respects does man mirror God?
9. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
10. Who are the mourners?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether Nicholas does or does not stop believing in God because of Eric's death. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether God is or is not an instrument of death. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why it is more difficult to bury a child than to bury one's parents. Do you think that Nicholas' position is true? Why or why not? Include textual references in your essay.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)