|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
(a) Isaiah 40.
(b) Jeremiah 33.
(c) Psalm 42.
(d) Revelation 21.
2. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) His friends disappear.
(b) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
(c) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
(d) He catches a monster fish.
3. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This dry and weary land.
(b) This sorrowing land.
(c) This barren land.
(d) This desolate land.
4. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
5. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(c) Work days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
2. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
3. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
4. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
5. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
2. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
3. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
4. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
5. Who are the mourners?
6. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
7. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
8. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
9. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
10. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)