|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(b) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
(d) A hill in Galilee.
2. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(a) Man's deepest sorrows.
(b) Total absurdity of death.
3. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That God is good.
(b) That God loves his children.
(c) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
(d) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
4. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When judgment day comes.
(b) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When Jesus returns.
5. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
2. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
3. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
4. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
5. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
2. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
3. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
4. In what respects does man mirror God?
5. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
6. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
7. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
8. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
9. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
10. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)