|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Probing questions.
(b) Questions about his family.
(c) Innocent questions.
(d) Questions about his well being.
2. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
(a) April 30.
(b) February 28.
(c) January 31.
(d) March 31.
3. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of those who are persecuted.
(b) The story of the exulting ones.
(c) The story of those who are defeated.
(d) The story of those who have suffered.
4. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In the garage.
(b) In the entry.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In his room.
5. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) A little lower than the angels.
(b) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(c) Made in the image of God.
(d) Sinful and lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
2. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
3. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
4. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
5. What does every act of evil extract from God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
2. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
3. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
4. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
5. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
6. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
7. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
8. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
9. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
10. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)