|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
2. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
3. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
(a) I hope you are learning to find joy again.
(b) I hope your faith in God is being strengthened.
(c) I hope you're learning to live at peace with Eric's death.
(d) I hope you don't blame God.
4. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(a) A hill in Galilee.
(b) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
5. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(a) A tear.
(d) A sob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
2. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
3. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
4. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
5. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
2. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
3. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
4. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
5. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
6. What will Nicholas do with the regrets he has regarding Eric?
7. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
8. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
9. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
10. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)