|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(a) A hill in Galilee.
(c) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
2. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Students who excelled.
(b) Successful entrepreneurs.
(c) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(d) Pastors of large churches.
3. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) Eric's birthday.
(b) The birthday of his other children.
(d) Nicholas's birthday.
4. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) Watchman Nee.
(b) C. S. Lewis.
(c) Oswald Sanders.
(d) John Piper.
5. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have found joy in God.
(b) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(c) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(d) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
2. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
3. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
4. What nations does Nicholas mention when he thinks about what it would be like to be a member of a people whose national existence is under attack?
5. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
2. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
3. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
4. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
5. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
6. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
7. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
8. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
9. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
10. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)