|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(b) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(c) A father carrying his dead son.
(d) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
2. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
3. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
(b) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
(c) He catches a monster fish.
(d) His friends disappear.
4. Where in the Bible is the quote, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
(a) Isaiah 25.
(b) I John 3.
(c) Psalm 126.
(d) Revelation 21.
5. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
(a) Bags of flour.
(b) Sacks of potatoes.
(c) Gallons of milk.
(d) Containers of apples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
2. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
3. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
4. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
5. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
2. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
3. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. Why does Nicholas think the death of a child is so painful?
6. In what respects does man mirror God?
7. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
8. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
9. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
10. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)