|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) The ordinariness of what he saw.
(b) The people who gave him their condolences.
(c) Seeing Eric's old friends.
(d) The hustle and bustle in the store.
2. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Pastors of large churches.
(b) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(c) Students who excelled.
(d) Successful entrepreneurs.
3. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When judgment day comes.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When Satan is bound in the pit.
4. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(b) Nicholas's birthday.
(c) Eric's birthday.
(d) The birthday of his other children.
5. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He floats.
(b) He walks.
(c) He swims.
(d) He runs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
2. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
3. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
4. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
5. Where in the Bible is the quote, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
2. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
3. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
4. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
5. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
6. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
7. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
8. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
9. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
10. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)