|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
2. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
3. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) A mother who hurts her children.
(b) A mother who has no living children.
(c) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(d) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
4. What part of God is never seen?
(a) His heart.
(b) His face.
(c) His back.
(d) His hands.
5. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
(a) Jeremiah 33.
(b) Revelation 21.
(c) Psalm 42.
(d) Isaiah 40.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
2. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
3. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
4. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
5. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
2. Why didn't Nicholas plunge back into his work?
3. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
4. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
5. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
6. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
7. In what respects does man mirror God?
8. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
9. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
10. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)