|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(c) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(d) When judgment day comes.
2. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
3. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
4. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
(a) His faith.
(b) His character.
(c) His grief.
(d) His relationships.
5. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That God is good.
(b) That God loves his children.
(c) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
(d) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
2. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
3. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
4. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
5. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
2. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
3. Who are the mourners?
4. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
5. How does Nicholas explain why suffering happens?
6. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
7. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
8. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
9. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
10. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)