|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) Psalm 18.
(b) Proverbs 15.
(c) John 14.
(d) Lamentations 3.
2. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
(a) Meaning of sin.
(b) Meaning of suffering.
(c) Meaning of salvation.
(d) Meaning of faith.
3. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
(a) He will return with bushels of grain and a faithful heart.
(b) He will return with songs of joy carrying sheaves.
(c) He will return with corn and a joyful heart.
(d) He will return with weeping and gnashing of teeth.
4. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) A week.
(b) A million years.
(c) Billions of years.
(d) Six days.
5. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) A mother who hurts her children.
(b) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(c) A mother who has no living children.
(d) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
2. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
3. What part of God is never seen?
4. What does every act of evil extract from God?
5. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
2. Does Nicholas believe that God reveals himself?
3. Why did the ordinariness bother Nicholas when he walked into a store?
4. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
5. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
6. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
7. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
8. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
9. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
10. In what respects does man mirror God?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)