|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) Sinful and lost.
(b) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(c) Made in the image of God.
(d) A little lower than the angels.
2. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) John 14.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) Psalm 18.
(d) Proverbs 15.
3. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) He catches a monster fish.
(b) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
(c) His friends disappear.
(d) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
4. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
5. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
(a) In faith.
(b) In happiness.
(c) In our knowledge.
(d) In death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of God is never seen?
2. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
3. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
4. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
5. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
2. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
3. What will Nicholas do rather than turn away from death?
4. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
5. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
6. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
7. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
8. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
9. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
10. Who are the mourners?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)