|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) In Memoriam.
(b) Searching for Comfort.
(c) Consolation in the Face of Death.
(d) A Letter of Consolation.
2. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
3. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) C. S. Lewis.
(b) John Piper.
(c) Oswald Sanders.
(d) Watchman Nee.
4. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(a) Greg Bahsen.
(b) Henri Nouwen.
5. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
Short Answer Questions
1. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
2. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
3. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
4. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
5. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
2. Who are the mourners?
3. Why does Nicholas say God suffers?
4. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
5. What would Nicholas give for the changes in his character since Eric died?
6. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
7. What did Job's friends tell him was the reason he lost his children?
8. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
9. In Section 8, what is said about what it means to be human?
10. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)