|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
(b) When he was in the backyard.
(c) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(d) When he was jogging.
2. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
3. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) Nicholas's birthday.
(b) Eric's birthday.
(d) The birthday of his other children.
4. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
5. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This barren land.
(b) This sorrowing land.
(c) This dry and weary land.
(d) This desolate land.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
2. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
3. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
4. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
5. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Nicholas use to explain faith?
2. Who are the mourners?
3. What types of days can Nicholas manage?
4. Why do innocent questions make Nicholas wince?
5. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
6. What is Nicholas convinced of when he reads the New Testament?
7. Is there a firm answer to why humans suffer?
8. What has Nicholas become in the world since Eric's death?
9. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
10. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)