|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
(a) Ecclesiastes 3.
(b) Psalm 103.
(c) Isaiah 40.
(d) I Corinthians 15.
2. What book does Nicholas say affirms the goodness of creation?
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The Proverbs.
(d) The Book of John.
3. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
4. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
5. What does Nicholas say withers and what remains?
(a) The fruit withers and the seeds remain.
(b) The flower withers and the effects remain.
(c) The body withers and its belongings remain.
(d) The grass withers and the weeds remain.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral originally written?
2. What day of the week did Eric die?
3. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
4. What hope did not console Nicholas?
5. What was the weather like when Nicholas received the call that Eric died?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Eric born and when did he die?
2. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
3. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
4. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
5. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
6. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
7. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
8. What was Eric's educational background?
9. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
10. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)