|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
(a) A terrible feeling of loss.
(b) Cold burning pain.
(c) Extreme anger.
(d) Deep sorrow.
2. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
3. When death is seen as a slicing of what God declared to be, then what is death?
(a) The enemy.
(b) A deep despair.
(c) A dark pit.
(d) A friend.
4. What does Nicholas remember lifting Eric from when he was born?
(a) His mother's womb.
(b) A crib.
(c) A hospital isolette.
(d) A cradle.
5. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Watch and compass.
(b) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(c) Boots and backpack.
(d) Pulleys and pitons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
2. What color hair did Eric have?
3. Who met Nicholas at the airport?
4. Who does Nicholas say "scarcely looks ahead; his plans are cautious, few, short-term"?
5. Where did Eric spend many days in the last months of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
2. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
3. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
4. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
5. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
6. When was Eric born and when did he die?
7. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
8. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
9. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
10. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)