|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
(a) Give them to his friends.
(b) Donate them to charity.
(c) Give them away to extended family members.
(d) Leave them out as a memorial.
2. Which author in the Bible wrote that someone who dies is like a cloud that vanishes?
3. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
4. In what subjects of study did Eric excel?
(a) English and history.
(b) Physics and calculus.
(c) Science and math.
(d) Accounting and business.
5. In what city was Eric's apartment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had just left on a plane to see Eric?
2. Where did much of the music come from that was played at Eric's funeral?
3. What mountain did Eric plan to climb later that summer?
4. Who does Nicholas say looks neither behind nor ahead because her humanity is just beginning?
5. What was the final hymn at Eric's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
2. What was the history behind the liturgy that was used at Eric's funeral?
3. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
4. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
5. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
6. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
7. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
8. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
9. What gave Eric delight in his later years?
10. How did Nicholas feel at the graveside?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)