|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
(a) 1:30 p.m.
(b) 4:30 p.m.
(c) 3:30 p.m.
(d) 2:30 p.m.
2. What does Nicholas say that he had to fly across to retrieve Eric's body?
(a) The ocean.
(c) The United States.
3. Where did Eric spend many days in the last months of his life?
(a) A friend's apartment.
(b) A small church.
(c) The library.
(d) The buildings in the School of Architecture.
4. For how many seconds did Nicholas feel the peace of resignation after learning of Eric's death?
(a) 3 seconds.
(b) 2 seconds.
(c) 5 seconds.
(d) 10 seconds.
5. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
(a) Eric's grandmother.
(b) A member of the congregation.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A friend of the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 47, to what did memories lead Nicholas?
2. What time of day did Nicholas return from Europe?
3. What did Eric's landlady say he loved more than anything?
4. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
5. How old was Eric when he asked Nicholas how "we know there's God?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
2. What sacrament was celebrated at Eric's funeral?
3. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
4. What does Nicholas say should be said or done with someone who is suffering?
5. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
6. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
7. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
8. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
9. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
10. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)