|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
2. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
(a) Cards Eric had meant to mail to friends.
(b) Old climbing equipment.
(c) Presents Eric had bought for his family.
(d) Lists of things Eric was planning to do.
3. What author does Nicholas quote, who says that "No man is an island"?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(b) John Donne.
(c) Edmund Waller.
(d) Ben Jonson.
4. In the dispute over the future direction of architecture, what styles did the winners of the debate promote?
(a) International Style.
(d) Post modern.
5. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who can no longer love.
(b) People who have become embittered.
(c) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(d) People who have no faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
2. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
3. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
4. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
5. When was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral composed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
2. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
3. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
4. What does Nicholas believe would be insipid?
5. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
6. Why does Nicholas say that Eric's body was his to claim?
7. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
8. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
9. When was Eric born and when did he die?
10. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)