|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week was Eric's body returned to them?
2. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
(a) A terrible feeling of loss.
(b) Extreme anger.
(c) Cold burning pain.
(d) Deep sorrow.
3. In what city was Eric born?
(b) New York.
(c) New Haven.
4. Who met Nicholas at the airport?
5. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
(a) Gerard Manley Hopkins.
(b) Robert Browning.
(c) G. K. Chesterton.
(d) Matthew Arnold.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
2. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
3. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
4. Who insisted on seeing Eric's body?
5. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
2. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
3. What does Nicholas not want to hear as he grieves?
4. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
5. Describe the liturgy used at Eric's funeral.
6. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
7. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
8. What was Eric's educational background?
9. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
10. What does Nicholas say it is to be human?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)