|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
2. Where did Eric spend many days in the last months of his life?
(a) The library.
(b) A friend's apartment.
(c) The buildings in the School of Architecture.
(d) A small church.
3. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(a) Acknowledge the grief.
(d) Listen to the one who is hurting.
4. What was placed on the coffin after the opening words of the liturgy?
(a) Eric's favorite books.
(b) An old sweatshirt Eric loved.
(d) A shroud.
5. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
(a) A darkness.
(b) A hole.
(c) A lack of faith.
(d) A lack of peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eric spend summers doing while in college?
2. What did one of Eric's brothers place on the coffin?
3. What did Claire read at the funeral?
4. Who was on the plane that Nicholas took to Europe?
5. One of Nicholas's friends had a son who died several weeks before Eric. How did this young man die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nicholas learn that his son died?
2. When was Eric born and when did he die?
3. Why does Nicholas say that his loss is Eric's as well?
4. How did the funeral help Nicholas' soul rest?
5. Why does Nicholas say that life can be seen as a process of becoming familiar with death?
6. What does Nicholas imagine remains of his son in the grave?
7. What does Nicholas think might happen when God raises Eric and the rest of mankind from the dead?
8. Is Nicholas angry at God because of Eric's death?
9. What are the worst days for Nicholas now that Eric is gone?
10. How is what the Stoics said different from what Jesus said about mourning?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)