|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
2. What type of spices did Eric have in his cupboard?
3. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Boots and backpack.
(b) Watch and compass.
(c) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(d) Pulleys and pitons.
4. Where does Nicholas say that people need to go to comfort him?
(a) Come to the cemetery.
(b) Come close.
(c) Spend time with him and his family.
(d) Visit him at home.
5. In what city was Eric born?
(b) New Haven.
(c) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
2. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
3. What was the weather like when Nicholas received the call that Eric died?
4. Where did Nicholas have to go to reclaim Eric's body?
5. In the dispute over the future direction of architecture, what styles did the winners of the debate promote?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
2. Why did Eric climb the mountain alone?
3. In what way does the world look different to Nicholas after his son's death?
4. What did Eric look like in his coffin?
5. Why is it necessary for some to see the body of the one who died?
6. When was Eric born and when did he die?
7. Why does Nicholas say that the family took Eric for granted?
8. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
9. What was Eric's thesis to explore?
10. How does Nicholas say that he and the family can live as faithfully and authentically with Eric gone as they did when he was present?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)