|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week did Eric die?
2. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
(a) Ecclesiastes 3.
(b) Isaiah 40.
(c) Psalm 103.
(d) I Corinthians 15.
3. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
(a) Gunkelrode, Germany.
(b) Bauhaus, Germany.
(c) Solz, Germany.
(d) Menglers, Germany.
4. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(a) Acknowledge the grief.
(c) Listen to the one who is hurting.
5. Where did Eric die?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city was Eric born?
2. One of Nicholas's friends had a son who died several weeks before Eric. How did this young man die?
3. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
4. What hope did not console Nicholas?
5. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. On page 76, what does a bitter, suffering friend tell Nicholas?
2. What was the dispute over the future direction of architecture?
3. What would Nicholas do if the clock could be turned back?
4. Why is there a hole in Nicholas' world after Eric's death?
5. Why did Nicholas feel that it was a cruel mockery that Eric's backpack and boots were unscathed?
6. What things remind Nicholas that Eric is gone?
7. What gave Eric trouble in human relationships?
8. When was Eric born and when did he die?
9. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's things?
10. What does Nicholas conclude when he asks himself if it matters that Eric's thesis was never finished?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)