|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(b) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(c) When Jesus returns.
(d) When judgment day comes.
2. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
3. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
(a) He will return with corn and a joyful heart.
(b) He will return with bushels of grain and a faithful heart.
(c) He will return with weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(d) He will return with songs of joy carrying sheaves.
4. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(b) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(c) Those who have found joy in God.
(d) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
5. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In the entry.
(b) In the garage.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the attic.
6. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
(a) A 23-year-old son of his friend.
(b) A little girl who had leukemia.
(c) Friends' baby who was born dead.
(d) The 90-year-old mother of a friend.
7. What nations does Nicholas mention when he thinks about what it would be like to be a member of a people whose national existence is under attack?
(a) Sudan, Pakistan, and India.
(b) Russians and Iranians.
(c) Iraqis and Iranians.
(d) Armenians, Jews, and Palestinians.
8. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) A mother who hurts her children.
(b) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(c) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
(d) A mother who has no living children.
9. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 116:15.
(b) Psalm 120:18.
(c) Psalm 119:110.
(d) Psalm 1:12.
10. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) A little child.
(d) One of the sorrowing.
11. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
(c) His father.
12. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
13. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
14. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(b) Great anger.
(c) Avenging fury.
(d) Deep sorrow.
15. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(a) Total absurdity of death.
(b) Man's deepest sorrows.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
2. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
3. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
4. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
5. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)