|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 116:15.
(b) Psalm 1:12.
(c) Psalm 120:18.
(d) Psalm 119:110.
2. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(b) Being able to dispense with guilt.
(c) Being able to sing with the angels.
(d) Being able to worship at God's throne.
3. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In his room.
(b) In the entry.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the garage.
4. On page 60, Nicholas speaks of an image that haunts him. Where is he standing in this image?
(a) On a football field.
(b) On a battlefield.
(c) On a sinking ship.
(d) On an airplane.
5. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) Watchman Nee.
(b) John Piper.
(c) C. S. Lewis.
(d) Oswald Sanders.
6. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
7. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
8. What part of God is never seen?
(a) His hands.
(b) His heart.
(c) His face.
(d) His back.
9. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
10. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) Made in the image of God.
(b) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(c) Sinful and lost.
(d) A little lower than the angels.
11. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) A Letter of Consolation.
(b) In Memoriam.
(c) Searching for Comfort.
(d) Consolation in the Face of Death.
12. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
(b) He catches a monster fish.
(c) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
(d) His friends disappear.
13. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(a) Avenging fury.
(b) Great anger.
(c) Deep sorrow.
14. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
15. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(a) A sob.
(c) A tear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
2. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
3. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
4. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
5. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)