|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he was in the backyard.
(b) When he was jogging.
(c) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(d) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
2. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(b) Being able to sing with the angels.
(c) Being able to worship at God's throne.
(d) Being able to dispense with guilt.
3. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(a) Great anger.
(b) Avenging fury.
(d) Deep sorrow.
4. Where in the Bible is the quote, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
(a) I John 3.
(b) Psalm 126.
(c) Revelation 21.
(d) Isaiah 25.
5. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(b) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(c) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(d) A father carrying his dead son.
6. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
(a) In death.
(b) In our knowledge.
(c) In happiness.
(d) In faith.
7. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(a) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
(d) A hill in Galilee.
8. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
9. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
10. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He walks.
(b) He swims.
(c) He floats.
(d) He runs.
11. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) He catches a monster fish.
(b) His friends disappear.
(c) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
(d) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
12. What nations does Nicholas mention when he thinks about what it would be like to be a member of a people whose national existence is under attack?
(a) Sudan, Pakistan, and India.
(b) Armenians, Jews, and Palestinians.
(c) Iraqis and Iranians.
(d) Russians and Iranians.
13. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(b) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(c) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(d) A deer panting for streams of water.
14. What part of God is never seen?
(a) His back.
(b) His hands.
(c) His face.
(d) His heart.
15. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
2. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
3. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
4. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
5. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)