|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote a book that angered Nicholas?
(a) A mother whose son died in an industrial accident.
(b) A father whose son died in a mountaineering accident.
(c) A father whose son died in a skiing accident.
(d) A mother whose son died in a boating accident.
2. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(b) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
(c) A mother who has no living children.
(d) A mother who hurts her children.
3. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) A little lower than the angels.
(b) Made in the image of God.
(c) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(d) Sinful and lost.
4. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
(a) A path.
(b) A footbridge.
(c) A sidewalk.
(d) A covered walk.
5. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(b) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(c) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(d) Those who have found joy in God.
6. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 116:15.
(b) Psalm 120:18.
(c) Psalm 119:110.
(d) Psalm 1:12.
7. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) Lamentations 3.
(b) Proverbs 15.
(c) John 14.
(d) Psalm 18.
8. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
9. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Eating dinner with his wife.
(b) Walking in the woods.
(c) Fishing with his children.
(d) Walking down the street with friends.
10. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In the entry.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In his room.
(d) In the garage.
11. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) The ordinariness of what he saw.
(b) The hustle and bustle in the store.
(c) The people who gave him their condolences.
(d) Seeing Eric's old friends.
12. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(a) A little child.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(d) One of the sorrowing.
13. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This dry and weary land.
(b) This desolate land.
(c) This sorrowing land.
(d) This barren land.
14. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) The birthday of his other children.
(b) Eric's birthday.
(c) Nicholas's birthday.
15. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Successful entrepreneurs.
(b) Pastors of large churches.
(c) Students who excelled.
(d) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
2. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
3. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
4. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
5. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)