|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(b) A tear.
(c) A sob.
2. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
(a) Containers of apples.
(b) Bags of flour.
(c) Gallons of milk.
(d) Sacks of potatoes.
3. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(d) Work days.
4. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) Watchman Nee.
(b) John Piper.
(c) C. S. Lewis.
(d) Oswald Sanders.
5. On page 50, what happens in Nicholas' dream?
(a) His friends disappear.
(b) He meets a rabid dog in the woods.
(c) His wife chokes on her food and dies.
(d) He catches a monster fish.
6. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
7. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(a) Greg Bahsen.
(c) Henri Nouwen.
8. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A deer panting for streams of water.
(b) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(c) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(d) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
9. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
(b) The Romans.
(d) The Greeks.
10. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
11. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Eating dinner with his wife.
(b) Walking in the woods.
(c) Fishing with his children.
(d) Walking down the street with friends.
12. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
(a) A little girl who had leukemia.
(b) The 90-year-old mother of a friend.
(c) Friends' baby who was born dead.
(d) A 23-year-old son of his friend.
13. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(b) Great anger.
(c) Deep sorrow.
(d) Avenging fury.
14. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
(a) Have faith.
(b) Don't fear.
(c) Be still.
(d) Don't worry.
15. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A father carrying his dead son.
(b) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(c) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(d) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
2. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
3. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
4. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
5. How many children did Nicholas have?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)