|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(b) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(c) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(d) A father carrying his dead son.
2. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That God loves his children.
(b) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
(c) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
(d) That God is good.
3. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(b) Pastors of large churches.
(c) Successful entrepreneurs.
(d) Students who excelled.
4. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
5. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
6. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
7. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(b) Avenging fury.
(c) Great anger.
(d) Deep sorrow.
8. On Page 80, what does it say that God has allowed to flow?
(a) Rivers of pain.
(b) Rivers of death.
(c) Rivers of grief.
(d) Rivers of blood.
9. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
(a) He will return with corn and a joyful heart.
(b) He will return with weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(c) He will return with bushels of grain and a faithful heart.
(d) He will return with songs of joy carrying sheaves.
10. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This sorrowing land.
(b) This barren land.
(c) This dry and weary land.
(d) This desolate land.
11. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) A mother who hurts her children.
(b) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
(c) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(d) A mother who has no living children.
12. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(a) Greg Bahsen.
(b) Henri Nouwen.
13. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
(a) His character.
(b) His faith.
(c) His relationships.
(d) His grief.
14. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(c) Work days.
15. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(a) God Himself.
(b) Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
2. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
3. What part of God is never seen?
4. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
5. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)