|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 119:110.
(b) Psalm 116:15.
(c) Psalm 120:18.
(d) Psalm 1:12.
2. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
3. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Greeks.
4. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He floats.
(b) He walks.
(c) He runs.
(d) He swims.
5. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) John 14.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) Proverbs 15.
(d) Psalm 18.
6. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Fishing with his children.
(b) Walking in the woods.
(c) Walking down the street with friends.
(d) Eating dinner with his wife.
7. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
8. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
9. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When judgment day comes.
10. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(b) Avenging fury.
(c) Great anger.
(d) Deep sorrow.
11. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
12. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(b) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
(c) When he was in the backyard.
(d) When he was jogging.
13. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(b) Those who have found joy in God.
(c) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(d) Those who see beyond sorrow.
14. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(b) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(c) A deer panting for streams of water.
(d) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
15. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(b) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(c) A father carrying his dead son.
(d) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
2. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
3. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
4. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
5. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)