|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(b) God Himself.
(d) Jesus Christ.
2. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(b) Being able to sing with the angels.
(c) Being able to dispense with guilt.
(d) Being able to worship at God's throne.
3. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Questions about his well being.
(b) Innocent questions.
(c) Questions about his family.
(d) Probing questions.
4. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
(a) Psalm 42.
(b) Isaiah 40.
(c) Jeremiah 33.
(d) Revelation 21.
5. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
6. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(d) Work days.
7. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) Sinful and lost.
(b) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(c) A little lower than the angels.
(d) Made in the image of God.
8. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of those who are defeated.
(b) The story of the exulting ones.
(c) The story of those who are persecuted.
(d) The story of those who have suffered.
9. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(b) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(c) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(d) Those who have found joy in God.
10. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(a) Total absurdity of death.
(b) Man's deepest sorrows.
11. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
(a) Don't fear.
(b) Have faith.
(c) Be still.
(d) Don't worry.
12. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 120:18.
(b) Psalm 1:12.
(c) Psalm 119:110.
(d) Psalm 116:15.
13. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He swims.
(b) He floats.
(c) He walks.
(d) He runs.
14. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
15. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(b) When Jesus returns.
(c) When judgment day comes.
(d) When Satan is bound in the pit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
2. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
3. Where in the Bible is the quote, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
4. On Page 80, what does it say that God has allowed to flow?
5. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)