|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Being able to sing with the angels.
(b) Being able to worship at God's throne.
(c) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(d) Being able to dispense with guilt.
2. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(b) Great anger.
(c) Deep sorrow.
(d) Avenging fury.
3. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Probing questions.
(b) Questions about his well being.
(c) Questions about his family.
(d) Innocent questions.
4. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) Proverbs 15.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) John 14.
(d) Psalm 18.
5. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
6. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(b) One of the sorrowing.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) A little child.
7. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) Six days.
(b) Billions of years.
(c) A week.
(d) A million years.
8. How many children did Nicholas have?
9. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(a) Work days.
10. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This desolate land.
(b) This dry and weary land.
(c) This barren land.
(d) This sorrowing land.
11. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(b) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(c) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(d) Those who have found joy in God.
12. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) John Piper.
(b) Oswald Sanders.
(c) Watchman Nee.
(d) C. S. Lewis.
13. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) Sinful and lost.
(b) A little lower than the angels.
(c) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(d) Made in the image of God.
14. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(b) God Himself.
(d) Jesus Christ.
15. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of the exulting ones.
(b) The story of those who are persecuted.
(c) The story of those who have suffered.
(d) The story of those who are defeated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
2. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
3. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
4. On Page 80, what does it say that God has allowed to flow?
5. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)