|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Questions about his family.
(b) Innocent questions.
(c) Questions about his well being.
(d) Probing questions.
2. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
3. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(a) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
(c) A hill in Galilee.
4. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(b) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(c) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(d) A father carrying his dead son.
5. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) A week.
(b) A million years.
(c) Billions of years.
(d) Six days.
6. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
7. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(b) Eric's birthday.
(c) Nicholas's birthday.
(d) The birthday of his other children.
8. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
(a) An impoverished mother whose child is starving.
(b) A mother who hurts her children.
(c) A mother who has lost a child in childbirth.
(d) A mother who has no living children.
9. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In his room.
(b) In the garage.
(c) In the entry.
(d) In the attic.
10. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(b) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(c) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(d) A deer panting for streams of water.
11. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
(a) A 23-year-old son of his friend.
(b) A little girl who had leukemia.
(c) The 90-year-old mother of a friend.
(d) Friends' baby who was born dead.
12. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(b) A sob.
(d) A tear.
13. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(b) Total absurdity of death.
(c) Man's deepest sorrows.
14. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Greeks.
15. What nations does Nicholas mention when he thinks about what it would be like to be a member of a people whose national existence is under attack?
(a) Armenians, Jews, and Palestinians.
(b) Iraqis and Iranians.
(c) Sudan, Pakistan, and India.
(d) Russians and Iranians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
2. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
3. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
4. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
5. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)