|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(a) Avenging fury.
(b) Great anger.
(c) Deep sorrow.
2. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) A Letter of Consolation.
(b) Consolation in the Face of Death.
(c) Searching for Comfort.
(d) In Memoriam.
3. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
4. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(a) God Himself.
(c) Jesus Christ.
5. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When judgment day comes.
(b) When Jesus returns.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When Satan is bound in the pit.
6. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
7. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
8. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
9. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(b) Man's deepest sorrows.
(c) Total absurdity of death.
10. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
(a) Paganini Variations.
(b) Hungarian Dances.
(c) German Requiem.
(d) The Art of Fugue.
11. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(b) Being able to sing with the angels.
(c) Being able to worship at God's throne.
(d) Being able to dispense with guilt.
12. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
13. How many children did Nicholas have?
14. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
15. On page 56, what did a friend remark about grief?
(a) It isolates.
(b) It scores the soul.
(c) It separates.
(d) It divides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
2. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
3. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
4. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
5. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)