|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of those who are defeated.
(b) The story of the exulting ones.
(c) The story of those who are persecuted.
(d) The story of those who have suffered.
2. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
3. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
(a) April 30.
(b) March 31.
(c) January 31.
(d) February 28.
4. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(b) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
(c) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(d) Those who have found joy in God.
5. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
(a) Listening to music.
(b) Climbing mountains.
(d) Writing books.
6. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This sorrowing land.
(b) This barren land.
(c) This dry and weary land.
(d) This desolate land.
7. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
(a) I hope you're learning to live at peace with Eric's death.
(b) I hope your faith in God is being strengthened.
(c) I hope you don't blame God.
(d) I hope you are learning to find joy again.
8. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
9. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
(a) In death.
(b) In our knowledge.
(c) In faith.
(d) In happiness.
10. On page 56, what did a friend remark about grief?
(a) It isolates.
(b) It separates.
(c) It scores the soul.
(d) It divides.
11. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Successful entrepreneurs.
(b) Pastors of large churches.
(c) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(d) Students who excelled.
12. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(c) God Himself.
13. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(b) A father carrying his dead son.
(c) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(d) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
14. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Eating dinner with his wife.
(b) Walking in the woods.
(c) Walking down the street with friends.
(d) Fishing with his children.
15. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
(a) Meaning of salvation.
(b) Meaning of sin.
(c) Meaning of suffering.
(d) Meaning of faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
2. What part of God is never seen?
3. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
4. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
5. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)