|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
(b) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(c) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(d) A father carrying his dead son.
2. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) Searching for Comfort.
(b) In Memoriam.
(c) A Letter of Consolation.
(d) Consolation in the Face of Death.
3. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(a) A hill in Galilee.
(b) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
4. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
5. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) Seeing Eric's old friends.
(b) The people who gave him their condolences.
(c) The hustle and bustle in the store.
(d) The ordinariness of what he saw.
6. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
7. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Questions about his well being.
(b) Probing questions.
(c) Innocent questions.
(d) Questions about his family.
8. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(a) A sob.
(b) A tear.
9. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
(a) Containers of apples.
(b) Sacks of potatoes.
(c) Gallons of milk.
(d) Bags of flour.
10. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) Oswald Sanders.
(b) C. S. Lewis.
(c) John Piper.
(d) Watchman Nee.
11. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
(a) A sidewalk.
(b) A covered walk.
(c) A path.
(d) A footbridge.
12. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That God is good.
(b) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
(c) That God loves his children.
(d) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
13. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(b) When Jesus returns.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When judgment day comes.
14. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(b) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(c) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(d) A deer panting for streams of water.
15. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This barren land.
(b) This dry and weary land.
(c) This desolate land.
(d) This sorrowing land.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
2. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
3. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
4. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
5. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)