|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(a) Greg Bahsen.
(b) Henri Nouwen.
2. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he was in the backyard.
(b) When he was jogging.
(c) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(d) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
3. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(b) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(c) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(d) A deer panting for streams of water.
4. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) The birthday of his other children.
(c) Eric's birthday.
(d) Nicholas's birthday.
5. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This sorrowing land.
(b) This dry and weary land.
(c) This desolate land.
(d) This barren land.
6. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) Searching for Comfort.
(b) Consolation in the Face of Death.
(c) A Letter of Consolation.
(d) In Memoriam.
7. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 116:15.
(b) Psalm 120:18.
(c) Psalm 1:12.
(d) Psalm 119:110.
8. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
9. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When judgment day comes.
(c) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(d) When God's cup of suffering is full.
10. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
11. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
(a) Meaning of faith.
(b) Meaning of suffering.
(c) Meaning of salvation.
(d) Meaning of sin.
12. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Walking in the woods.
(b) Fishing with his children.
(c) Walking down the street with friends.
(d) Eating dinner with his wife.
13. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
(a) Bags of flour.
(b) Sacks of potatoes.
(c) Gallons of milk.
(d) Containers of apples.
14. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
(a) February 28.
(b) January 31.
(c) March 31.
(d) April 30.
15. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
2. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
3. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
4. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
5. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)