|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
2. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A father carrying his dead son.
(b) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(c) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(d) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
3. On page 60, Nicholas speaks of an image that haunts him. Where is he standing in this image?
(a) On a battlefield.
(b) On an airplane.
(c) On a football field.
(d) On a sinking ship.
4. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
5. What mountain peak does Nicholas mention after discussing his dream on page 50?
6. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That God loves his children.
(b) That God is good.
(c) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
(d) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
7. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He swims.
(b) He runs.
(c) He walks.
(d) He floats.
8. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of those who are persecuted.
(b) The story of those who are defeated.
(c) The story of the exulting ones.
(d) The story of those who have suffered.
9. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) Eric's birthday.
(c) Nicholas's birthday.
(d) The birthday of his other children.
10. What does every act of evil extract from God?
(a) A sob.
(b) A tear.
11. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
(b) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(c) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(d) A deer panting for streams of water.
12. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
(a) Rabbi Kushner.
(b) Rabbi Klein.
(c) Rabbi Elwood.
(d) Rabbi Schmidt.
13. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) A little child.
(d) One of the sorrowing.
14. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
15. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
(a) Have faith.
(b) Be still.
(c) Don't fear.
(d) Don't worry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
2. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
3. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
4. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
5. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)