|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
(a) April 30.
(b) February 28.
(c) March 31.
(d) January 31.
2. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Successful entrepreneurs.
(b) Pastors of large churches.
(c) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(d) Students who excelled.
3. Who wrote a book that angered Nicholas?
(a) A father whose son died in a mountaineering accident.
(b) A mother whose son died in a boating accident.
(c) A father whose son died in a skiing accident.
(d) A mother whose son died in an industrial accident.
4. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(c) When judgment day comes.
(d) When God's cup of suffering is full.
5. What will happen to him who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow?
(a) He will return with songs of joy carrying sheaves.
(b) He will return with weeping and gnashing of teeth.
(c) He will return with corn and a joyful heart.
(d) He will return with bushels of grain and a faithful heart.
6. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) Nicholas's birthday.
(c) The birthday of his other children.
(d) Eric's birthday.
7. What do some vainly think will be overcome by some technology?
8. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
(a) Rabbi Kushner.
(b) Rabbi Klein.
(c) Rabbi Elwood.
(d) Rabbi Schmidt.
9. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He walks.
(b) He swims.
(c) He runs.
(d) He floats.
10. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
11. Where in the Bible is the quote, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."
(a) Isaiah 25.
(b) Revelation 21.
(c) Psalm 126.
(d) I John 3.
12. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
(a) A covered walk.
(b) A path.
(c) A sidewalk.
(d) A footbridge.
13. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
(d) His father.
14. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) Six days.
(b) Billions of years.
(c) A million years.
(d) A week.
15. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
(a) Those who see beyond sorrow.
(b) Those who have caught a glimpse of God's new day.
(c) Those who have found joy in God.
(d) Those who have identified themselves with Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
2. On page 72, what type of a mother does Nicholas describe and say that he cannot identify with her pain?
3. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
4. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
5. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)