|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
(a) Hungarian Dances.
(b) German Requiem.
(c) The Art of Fugue.
(d) Paganini Variations.
2. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
(a) His relationships.
(b) His faith.
(c) His character.
(d) His grief.
3. What is some suffering seen to be a result of?
4. In one respect, how does man mirror God?
(a) In our knowledge.
(b) In happiness.
(c) In death.
(d) In faith.
5. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
6. Where is it written "Why do you permit yourself to suffer, O God? If the death of the devout costs you dear, why do you permit it?"
(a) Psalm 120:18.
(b) Psalm 116:15.
(c) Psalm 119:110.
(d) Psalm 1:12.
7. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
8. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
(b) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(c) When he was jogging.
(d) When he was in the backyard.
9. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When Jesus returns.
(b) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(c) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(d) When judgment day comes.
10. What was Nicholas watching when the thought overwhelmed him that he did not understand suffering?
(a) A father carrying his dead son.
(b) The flicker of orange-pink evening light on almost still water.
(c) The flicker of red-gold morning light on wind-blown waves.
(d) A mother weeping in a cemetery.
11. On page 83, what metaphor does Nicholas use to describe what it is to be human?
12. On page 60, Nicholas speaks of an image that haunts him. Where is he standing in this image?
(a) On an airplane.
(b) On a sinking ship.
(c) On a battlefield.
(d) On a football field.
13. When Nicholas reads the New Testament, of what fact is he convinced?
(a) That Jesus of Nazareth died for man's sins.
(b) That God loves his children.
(c) That God is good.
(d) That Jesus of Nazareth was raised from the dead.
14. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Probing questions.
(b) Innocent questions.
(c) Questions about his well being.
(d) Questions about his family.
15. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) John 14.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) Psalm 18.
(d) Proverbs 15.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the image that Nicholas talks about seeing on page 60, who does he see dead?
2. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
3. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
4. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
5. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)