|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nicholas, when will the world's redemption be fulfilled?
(a) When God's cup of suffering is full.
(b) When Jesus returns.
(c) When Satan is bound in the pit.
(d) When judgment day comes.
2. On Page 80, what does it say that God has allowed to flow?
(a) Rivers of grief.
(b) Rivers of death.
(c) Rivers of pain.
(d) Rivers of blood.
3. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
(a) Man's deepest sorrows.
(c) Total absurdity of death.
4. What is Nicholas doing in a dream on page 50?
(a) Eating dinner with his wife.
(b) Walking down the street with friends.
(c) Fishing with his children.
(d) Walking in the woods.
5. Who does Nicholas say is the man of sorrows?
(b) Jesus Christ.
(d) God Himself.
6. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
7. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(a) A little child.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) One of the sorrowing.
8. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
9. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
(a) When he walked by a ball diamond.
(b) When he was moving Eric's belongings.
(c) When he was in the backyard.
(d) When he was jogging.
10. How many children did Nicholas have?
11. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) The hustle and bustle in the store.
(b) The ordinariness of what he saw.
(c) The people who gave him their condolences.
(d) Seeing Eric's old friends.
12. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
13. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
(a) Friends' baby who was born dead.
(b) A little girl who had leukemia.
(c) A 23-year-old son of his friend.
(d) The 90-year-old mother of a friend.
14. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
(b) Being able to worship at God's throne.
(c) Being able to sing with the angels.
(d) Being able to dispense with guilt.
15. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
2. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
3. What does the Christian gospel focus on telling Christians?
4. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
5. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)