|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On page 56, what did a friend remark about grief?
(a) It scores the soul.
(b) It isolates.
(c) It divides.
(d) It separates.
2. Who wrote a book that angered Nicholas?
(a) A father whose son died in a skiing accident.
(b) A mother whose son died in a boating accident.
(c) A father whose son died in a mountaineering accident.
(d) A mother whose son died in an industrial accident.
3. On page 70, what passage of the Bible does Nicholas refer to as a lament in the context of a faith that endures?
(a) Psalm 42.
(b) Isaiah 40.
(c) Jeremiah 33.
(d) Revelation 21.
4. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Questions about his well being.
(b) Innocent questions.
(c) Probing questions.
(d) Questions about his family.
5. How do the Biblical writers describe mankind?
(a) Sinful and lost.
(b) Made in the image of God.
(c) Deceitful and desperately wicked.
(d) A little lower than the angels.
6. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In his room.
(c) In the entry.
(d) In the garage.
7. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(c) Greg Bahsen.
(d) Henri Nouwen.
8. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
(a) I hope you are learning to find joy again.
(b) I hope you're learning to live at peace with Eric's death.
(c) I hope your faith in God is being strengthened.
(d) I hope you don't blame God.
9. Who said these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted"?
10. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
(a) Writing books.
(c) Climbing mountains.
(d) Listening to music.
11. What were people hoisting when Nicholas went to the store?
(a) Gallons of milk.
(b) Bags of flour.
(c) Sacks of potatoes.
(d) Containers of apples.
12. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
(a) His character.
(b) His faith.
(c) His grief.
(d) His relationships.
13. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) A million years.
(b) Billions of years.
(c) Six days.
(d) A week.
14. On page 66, a friend mentions to Nicholas that the message of a book in the Bible is the endurance of faith. What book of the Bible has this theme?
15. Which of the following names is the name of one of Nicholas' children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
2. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
3. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
4. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
5. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)