|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a voice say when Nicholas becomes fearful in the dream he mentions on page 50?
(a) Don't fear.
(b) Don't worry.
(c) Have faith.
(d) Be still.
2. On page 63, what does Nicholas mention that someone said to Claire?
(a) I hope your faith in God is being strengthened.
(b) I hope you're learning to live at peace with Eric's death.
(c) I hope you don't blame God.
(d) I hope you are learning to find joy again.
3. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
(a) Being able to sing with the angels.
(b) Being able to dispense with guilt.
(c) Being able to worship at God's throne.
(d) Throwing himself into the arms of those he's wronged and saying, "I'm sorry."
4. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
5. What type of questions make Nicholas wince?
(a) Questions about his well being.
(b) Innocent questions.
(c) Questions about his family.
(d) Probing questions.
6. What is the name of the work where this phrase appears, "there must be something more than death..., there must be a promise that is not fulfilled in our short existence in this world."
(a) Searching for Comfort.
(b) In Memoriam.
(c) Consolation in the Face of Death.
(d) A Letter of Consolation.
7. What were people putting into baskets when Nicholas walked into a store?
8. When Nicholas mentions stories written about humanity's odyssey on earth, what is one story he mentions?
(a) Students who excelled.
(b) Pastors of large churches.
(c) Explorers who found a pass to the Pacific.
(d) Successful entrepreneurs.
9. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
10. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
(b) Greg Bahsen.
(d) Henri Nouwen.
11. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(c) A hill in Galilee.
(d) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
12. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
(a) Great anger.
(c) Deep sorrow.
(d) Avenging fury.
13. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
14. Where did Nicholas move Eric's belongings after several weeks?
15. What is a soul that pants for God compared to in a scripture passage that Nicholas quotes on page 71?
(a) A deer panting for streams of water.
(b) A boy mowing the lawn on a hot day.
(c) A runner desperate for a drink of water.
(d) A person lost in the desert wanting a drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
2. On page 60, Nicholas speaks of an image that haunts him. Where is he standing in this image?
3. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
4. Who wrote a book that angered Nicholas?
5. On Page 80, what does it say that God has allowed to flow?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)