|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphor does Nicholas use on page 76 to refer to faith?
(a) A footbridge.
(b) A path.
(c) A sidewalk.
(d) A covered walk.
2. What specific date does Nicholas say is one of the worst days?
(a) March 31.
(b) January 31.
(c) February 28.
(d) April 30.
3. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) Psalm 18.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) John 14.
(d) Proverbs 15.
4. What were people squeezing at the store when Nicholas was shopping?
5. What book of the Bible does Nicholas mention that speaks of the coming of the day of shalom?
6. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
7. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
(a) This sorrowing land.
(b) This dry and weary land.
(c) This desolate land.
(d) This barren land.
8. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) The ordinariness of what he saw.
(b) The people who gave him their condolences.
(c) The hustle and bustle in the store.
(d) Seeing Eric's old friends.
9. Who said, "Be calm. "Disengage yourself. Neither laugh nor weep"?
(a) The Greeks.
(b) The Romans.
10. What does Nicholas say that he does now instead of rowing?
(a) He walks.
(b) He floats.
(c) He swims.
(d) He runs.
11. To have an authentic life, whom must one become more like?
(a) One of the sorrowing.
(c) A little child.
(d) Jesus Christ.
12. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) John Piper.
(b) C. S. Lewis.
(c) Oswald Sanders.
(d) Watchman Nee.
13. What does Nicholas almost not dare to say that Eric will miss because he has died?
(b) Climbing mountains.
(c) Listening to music.
(d) Writing books.
14. What histories are written about the odyssey of humanity on earth?
(a) The story of those who have suffered.
(b) The story of those who are persecuted.
(c) The story of those who are defeated.
(d) The story of the exulting ones.
15. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) The birthday of his other children.
(b) Eric's birthday.
(d) Nicholas's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say is God's response to our lovelessness?
2. On page 87, what does Nicholas say that God wanted to experience with man because of his great love for mankind?
3. What does Nicholas look forward to doing on the Great Day when all will be reunited?
4. On page 85, who does Nicholas say are the mourners?
5. When did Nicholas think he heard Eric call, "Hey Dad, I'm back."
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)