|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas say are the worst days now that Eric is gone?
(a) The birthday of his other children.
(c) Eric's birthday.
(d) Nicholas's birthday.
2. What nations does Nicholas mention when he thinks about what it would be like to be a member of a people whose national existence is under attack?
(a) Iraqis and Iranians.
(b) Russians and Iranians.
(c) Sudan, Pakistan, and India.
(d) Armenians, Jews, and Palestinians.
3. On page 81, whom does Nicholas say that God sent to suffer like mankind?
(a) The apostles.
(b) His son.
(c) The disciples.
(d) The prophets.
4. Who wrote "God too is pained by death, more even than you and I are; but there's nothing much he can do about it"?
(a) Rabbi Kushner.
(b) Rabbi Schmidt.
(c) Rabbi Klein.
(d) Rabbi Elwood.
5. Where did Eric's belongings stand for weeks?
(a) In the garage.
(b) In the entry.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In his room.
6. Instead of overcoming, what has Nicholas learned to do with the unpleasant things in his life?
7. What repelled Nicholas when he walked into a store?
(a) The ordinariness of what he saw.
(b) Seeing Eric's old friends.
(c) The hustle and bustle in the store.
(d) The people who gave him their condolences.
8. How long does Nicholas say it took to create the world?
(a) A million years.
(b) A week.
(c) Six days.
(d) Billions of years.
9. In the book that angered Nicholas, what passage of the Bible does the author mention was read in church the Sunday before the death of a man's son?
(a) Psalm 18.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) John 14.
(d) Proverbs 15.
10. What music of Brahms does Nicholas try to play?
(a) German Requiem.
(b) Paganini Variations.
(c) The Art of Fugue.
(d) Hungarian Dances.
11. On page 64, what does Nicholas feel when he looks back at times when Eric was alive?
12. What types of days can Nicholas, on page 61, say he can manage?
(b) Work days.
13. Where was Jesus when he spoke words of comfort to his disciples?
(c) A fishing boat on the Red Sea.
(d) A hill in Galilee.
14. What author, in writing about the death of his wife was plainly angry with God?
(a) Oswald Sanders.
(b) John Piper.
(c) C. S. Lewis.
(d) Watchman Nee.
15. Who said, "Truly, you are a God who hides yourself, O God of Israel, the Savior"?
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 61, in what type of land does Nicholas find it difficult to sing?
2. In what way has Nicholas changed since Eric's death?
3. Who wrote, "we have to wait for the third day"?
4. Whose funeral had Nicholas attended six months before Eric's death?
5. On page 66, what did a friend say he saw during Eric's funeral?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)