|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(a) Timeless disembodiment.
(c) The life hereafter.
2. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
(a) Leave them out as a memorial.
(b) Give them away to extended family members.
(c) Donate them to charity.
(d) Give them to his friends.
3. How many times had the special cloth been used before at other funerals?
(c) Three times.
4. What did Eric spend summers doing while in college?
(a) Teaching art.
(b) Mountain biking.
(d) Computer programming.
5. Who did Nicholas meet with after he returned from Europe?
(a) A co-worker.
(b) His pastor.
(c) A friend.
(d) His family.
6. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
7. Who told Eric's friends that he had died?
(a) Eric's landlady.
(d) Eric's pastor.
8. Who composed the liturgy used at Eric's funeral?
(c) Eric's sister.
(d) A friend.
9. What was the final hymn at Eric's funeral?
(a) How Great Thou Art.
(b) Abide With Me.
(c) Great is Thy Faithfulness.
(d) For All the Saints.
10. Who was on the plane that Nicholas took to Europe?
(a) Businessmen who were drinking heavily.
(b) Families with small children.
(c) A boisterous tour group.
(d) Youths going to Europe for the first time.
11. What does Nicholas remember lifting Eric from when he was born?
(a) A crib.
(b) A hospital isolette.
(c) A cradle.
(d) His mother's womb.
12. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
(a) A member of the congregation.
(b) An aunt.
(c) A friend of the family.
(d) Eric's grandmother.
13. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
14. What was the subject of Eric's thesis?
(a) Modern architecture.
(b) The history of computer science.
(c) Architecture and the Renaissance.
(d) The influence of corporations on the modern computer.
15. How old was Eric when he nearly died because he would not admit that he could not swim?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say that a friend's tears are to his wounds?
2. What does Nicholas want someone to do if he thoughtlessly says that he is "Fine" or "OK"?
3. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
4. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
5. On page 47, to what did memories lead Nicholas?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)