|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was placed on the coffin after the opening words of the liturgy?
(a) A shroud.
(c) An old sweatshirt Eric loved.
(d) Eric's favorite books.
2. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
(a) Solz, Germany.
(b) Bauhaus, Germany.
(c) Gunkelrode, Germany.
(d) Menglers, Germany.
3. In what city was Eric born?
(a) New York.
(c) New Haven.
4. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Pulleys and pitons.
(b) Watch and compass.
(c) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(d) Boots and backpack.
5. When death is seen as a slicing of what God declared to be, then what is death?
(a) The enemy.
(b) A friend.
(c) A dark pit.
(d) A deep despair.
6. When was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral composed?
(a) A few weeks before Eric's death.
(b) A few days after Eric's death.
(c) Several years before Eric's death.
(d) A few months before Eric's death.
7. In Eric's thesis, what person was he especially interested in writing about?
(a) Eugen Honig.
(b) Alexander von Senger.
(c) Paul Schultze-Naumberg.
(d) German Bestelmeyer.
8. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
(a) Clouds and rain.
(b) Weeds and grass.
(c) Flower and shadow.
(d) Birds and animals.
9. What was read at the grave site?
(a) John 14.
(b) Book of Common Prayer.
10. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(b) Timeless disembodiment.
(d) The life hereafter.
11. What did Claire read at the funeral?
(a) John 14.
(b) Song of Hannah.
(c) Psalm 27.
(d) Psalm 23.
12. How old was Eric when he died?
13. Where were Nicholas and Eric when Eric wondered how he could know there is a God?
(a) In Eric's bedroom.
(b) At the park.
(c) In the car.
(d) Taking a walk.
14. What was the subject of Eric's thesis?
(a) Architecture and the Renaissance.
(b) The influence of corporations on the modern computer.
(c) The history of computer science.
(d) Modern architecture.
15. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(b) People who have no faith.
(c) People who can no longer love.
(d) People who have become embittered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had just left on a plane to see Eric?
2. For how many seconds did Nicholas feel the peace of resignation after learning of Eric's death?
3. What was the final hymn at Eric's funeral?
4. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
5. What does Nicholas say that he had to fly across to retrieve Eric's body?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)