|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When death is seen as a slicing of what God declared to be, then what is death?
(a) The enemy.
(b) A friend.
(c) A deep despair.
(d) A dark pit.
2. What author does Nicholas quote, who says that "No man is an island"?
(a) Francis Bacon.
(b) Edmund Waller.
(c) Ben Jonson.
(d) John Donne.
3. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
(a) Eric's grandmother.
(b) A friend of the family.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A member of the congregation.
4. What was placed on the coffin after the opening words of the liturgy?
(a) A shroud.
(c) An old sweatshirt Eric loved.
(d) Eric's favorite books.
5. Who met Nicholas at the airport?
6. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
7. Who insisted on seeing Eric's body?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
8. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
(a) Gerard Manley Hopkins.
(b) Matthew Arnold.
(c) Robert Browning.
(d) G. K. Chesterton.
9. When was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral composed?
(a) A few weeks before Eric's death.
(b) A few months before Eric's death.
(c) Several years before Eric's death.
(d) A few days after Eric's death.
10. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
11. How old was Eric when he died?
12. What instruments were played at the funeral?
(a) Trumpet and flute.
(b) Cello and recorder.
(c) Harp and violin.
(d) Piano and organ.
13. Where did much of the music come from that was played at Eric's funeral?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The hymnbook of their congregation.
(c) Ecumenical community of Taize.
(d) The Middle Ages.
14. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
(a) The words of Jesus Christ.
(b) The gospel.
(c) The Psalms.
(d) The book of Ecclesiastes.
15. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had the special cloth been used before at other funerals?
2. On page 47, to what did memories lead Nicholas?
3. In the dispute over the future direction of architecture, what styles did the winners of the debate promote?
4. Who does Nicholas say looks neither behind nor ahead because her humanity is just beginning?
5. What day of the week did Eric die?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)