|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one of Eric's brothers place on the coffin?
2. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
(a) Isaiah 40.
(b) I Corinthians 15.
(c) Ecclesiastes 3.
(d) Psalm 103.
3. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
(a) Cards Eric had meant to mail to friends.
(b) Lists of things Eric was planning to do.
(c) Presents Eric had bought for his family.
(d) Old climbing equipment.
4. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(a) Listen to the one who is hurting.
(b) Acknowledge the grief.
5. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
6. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(c) Timeless disembodiment.
(d) The life hereafter.
7. What was the subject of Eric's thesis?
(a) Architecture and the Renaissance.
(b) The influence of corporations on the modern computer.
(c) The history of computer science.
(d) Modern architecture.
8. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who have no faith.
(b) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(c) People who have become embittered.
(d) People who can no longer love.
9. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
10. In what subjects of study did Eric excel?
(a) Physics and calculus.
(b) English and history.
(c) Accounting and business.
(d) Science and math.
11. One of Nicholas's friends had a son who died several weeks before Eric. How did this young man die?
(c) Brain tumor.
12. Who said tears would make "a pillow for my heart"?
(b) James the Just.
(c) Ignatius of Antioch.
13. How many times had the special cloth been used before at other funerals?
(b) Three times.
14. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
15. In Eric's thesis, what person was he especially interested in writing about?
(a) German Bestelmeyer.
(b) Paul Schultze-Naumberg.
(c) Alexander von Senger.
(d) Eugen Honig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became Eric's major?
2. Where was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
3. What book does Nicholas say affirms the goodness of creation?
4. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
5. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)