|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Eric when he asked Nicholas how "we know there's God?"
2. What does Nicholas remember lifting Eric from when he was born?
(a) A crib.
(b) A cradle.
(c) His mother's womb.
(d) A hospital isolette.
3. Where does Nicholas say that people need to go to comfort him?
(a) Visit him at home.
(b) Come to the cemetery.
(c) Come close.
(d) Spend time with him and his family.
4. What is man compared to in Job 14: 1-2?
(a) Birds and animals.
(b) Clouds and rain.
(c) Weeds and grass.
(d) Flower and shadow.
5. Where were Nicholas and Eric when Eric wondered how he could know there is a God?
(a) At the park.
(b) In Eric's bedroom.
(c) Taking a walk.
(d) In the car.
6. What became Eric's major?
(a) Computer science.
(c) Art history.
7. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
8. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
9. What does Nicholas say withers and what remains?
(a) The grass withers and the weeds remain.
(b) The flower withers and the effects remain.
(c) The body withers and its belongings remain.
(d) The fruit withers and the seeds remain.
10. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
(a) The words of Jesus Christ.
(b) The gospel.
(c) The book of Ecclesiastes.
(d) The Psalms.
11. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(b) People who have become embittered.
(c) People who can no longer love.
(d) People who have no faith.
12. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
13. What was read at the grave site?
(b) Book of Common Prayer.
(c) John 14.
14. Who does Nicholas say looks neither behind nor ahead because her humanity is just beginning?
(a) A new parent.
(b) A graduate.
(c) A bride.
(d) A baby.
15. What does Nicholas say that a friend's tears are to his wounds?
Short Answer Questions
1. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
2. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
3. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
4. What did Claire read at the funeral?
5. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)