|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Eric when he nearly died because he would not admit that he could not swim?
2. Who was on the plane that Nicholas took to Europe?
(a) Families with small children.
(b) Youths going to Europe for the first time.
(c) Businessmen who were drinking heavily.
(d) A boisterous tour group.
3. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
(a) Messy and unorganized.
(b) Light and airy.
(c) Large and cluttered.
(d) Dark and cramped.
4. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(b) People who can no longer love.
(c) People who have become embittered.
(d) People who have no faith.
5. What time of day did Nicholas return from Europe?
(a) Middle of the afternoon.
(b) Early in the morning.
(c) Late at night.
(d) Around noon.
6. How many of Eric's friends did Nicholas meet when he went to Eric's apartment?
7. When was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
8. Who met Nicholas at the airport?
9. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 1:30 p.m.
(c) 2:30 p.m.
(d) 3:30 p.m.
10. What sacrament was celebrated at the funeral?
11. In what city was Eric's apartment?
12. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
13. What does Nicholas say withers and what remains?
(a) The flower withers and the effects remain.
(b) The body withers and its belongings remain.
(c) The grass withers and the weeds remain.
(d) The fruit withers and the seeds remain.
14. For how many seconds did Nicholas feel the peace of resignation after learning of Eric's death?
(a) 5 seconds.
(b) 10 seconds.
(c) 3 seconds.
(d) 2 seconds.
15. In Eric's thesis, what person was he especially interested in writing about?
(a) German Bestelmeyer.
(b) Alexander von Senger.
(c) Paul Schultze-Naumberg.
(d) Eugen Honig.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
2. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
3. Who does Nicholas say looks neither behind nor ahead because her humanity is just beginning?
4. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
5. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)