|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some people gifted with when someone is suffering?
(a) Words of wisdom.
(b) Words of faith.
(c) Words of encouragement.
(d) Words of kindness.
2. What did Eric give up because it did not fit his plans?
3. What was the subject of Eric's thesis?
(a) The influence of corporations on the modern computer.
(b) Modern architecture.
(c) Architecture and the Renaissance.
(d) The history of computer science.
4. At the grave site, what type of trees did the wind rustle through?
5. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
(a) Give them away to extended family members.
(b) Give them to his friends.
(c) Donate them to charity.
(d) Leave them out as a memorial.
6. What words does Nicholas use to describe Eric's apartment?
(a) Light and airy.
(b) Dark and cramped.
(c) Messy and unorganized.
(d) Large and cluttered.
7. What became Eric's major?
(a) Art history.
(d) Computer science.
8. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
(a) Presents Eric had bought for his family.
(b) Old climbing equipment.
(c) Cards Eric had meant to mail to friends.
(d) Lists of things Eric was planning to do.
9. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
10. What was the final hymn at Eric's funeral?
(a) How Great Thou Art.
(b) Great is Thy Faithfulness.
(c) Abide With Me.
(d) For All the Saints.
11. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
(a) Robert Browning.
(b) Matthew Arnold.
(c) Gerard Manley Hopkins.
(d) G. K. Chesterton.
12. Who composed the liturgy used at Eric's funeral?
(a) A friend.
(c) Eric's sister.
13. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
(a) A lack of peace.
(b) A lack of faith.
(c) A hole.
(d) A darkness.
14. What color hair did Eric have?
15. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Watch and compass.
(b) Pulleys and pitons.
(c) Boots and backpack.
(d) Climbing harness and carabiners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas say that a friend's silence is to his wounds?
2. What author does Nicholas quote, who says that "No man is an island"?
3. What did Eric spend much of one summer helping to rebuild?
4. What type of spices did Eric have in his cupboard?
5. In what subjects of study did Eric excel?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)