|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said tears would make "a pillow for my heart"?
(a) James the Just.
(b) Ignatius of Antioch.
2. What does Nicholas remember lifting Eric from when he was born?
(a) A cradle.
(b) His mother's womb.
(c) A hospital isolette.
(d) A crib.
3. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
(a) The book of Ecclesiastes.
(b) The gospel.
(c) The words of Jesus Christ.
(d) The Psalms.
4. If Eric's life was a gift, what does Nicholas say he and his family must resist?
5. What does Nicholas say that a friend's silence is to his wounds?
6. What instruments were played at the funeral?
(a) Harp and violin.
(b) Trumpet and flute.
(c) Piano and organ.
(d) Cello and recorder.
7. Where were Nicholas and Eric when Eric wondered how he could know there is a God?
(a) Taking a walk.
(b) At the park.
(c) In the car.
(d) In Eric's bedroom.
8. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
(a) Old climbing equipment.
(b) Lists of things Eric was planning to do.
(c) Cards Eric had meant to mail to friends.
(d) Presents Eric had bought for his family.
9. What hope did not console Nicholas?
(a) Hope that God had a plan.
(b) Hope of seeing Eric again.
(c) Hope in life after death.
(d) Hope of the resurrection.
10. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
(a) A terrible feeling of loss.
(b) Deep sorrow.
(c) Extreme anger.
(d) Cold burning pain.
11. One of Nicholas's friends had a son who died several weeks before Eric. How did this young man die?
(d) Brain tumor.
12. What was read at the grave site?
(a) Book of Common Prayer.
(d) John 14.
13. In what subjects of study did Eric excel?
(a) Accounting and business.
(b) English and history.
(c) Physics and calculus.
(d) Science and math.
14. What type of trees were releasing their seeds when Eric was laid to rest?
15. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the weather like when Nicholas received the call that Eric died?
2. What did Eric spend summers doing while in college?
3. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
4. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
5. What mountain did Eric plan to climb later that summer?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)