|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
(a) Psalm 103.
(b) Ecclesiastes 3.
(c) I Corinthians 15.
(d) Isaiah 40.
2. When was there a furious dispute over the future direction of architecture?
3. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Boots and backpack.
(b) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(c) Watch and compass.
(d) Pulleys and pitons.
4. What instruments were played at the funeral?
(a) Cello and recorder.
(b) Piano and organ.
(c) Trumpet and flute.
(d) Harp and violin.
5. What color hair did Eric have?
6. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
(a) The words of Jesus Christ.
(b) The Psalms.
(c) The book of Ecclesiastes.
(d) The gospel.
7. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
(a) An aunt.
(b) Eric's grandmother.
(c) A member of the congregation.
(d) A friend of the family.
8. Who does Nicholas say "scarcely looks ahead; his plans are cautious, few, short-term"?
(a) A new father.
(b) A groom.
(c) An old person.
(d) A teenager.
9. For whom was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral originally written?
(a) A friend whose son committed suicide.
(b) A friend suffering from brain cancer.
(c) A friend suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease.
(d) A friend whose child died in infancy.
10. Who had just left on a plane to see Eric?
(a) An older sister.
(b) A younger brother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) His grandmother.
11. In what subjects of study did Eric excel?
(a) Science and math.
(b) Physics and calculus.
(c) Accounting and business.
(d) English and history.
12. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
13. In Eric's thesis, what person was he especially interested in writing about?
(a) German Bestelmeyer.
(b) Eugen Honig.
(c) Alexander von Senger.
(d) Paul Schultze-Naumberg.
14. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(a) Timeless disembodiment.
(d) The life hereafter.
15. What are some people gifted with when someone is suffering?
(a) Words of wisdom.
(b) Words of kindness.
(c) Words of faith.
(d) Words of encouragement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Eric's friends did Nicholas meet when he went to Eric's apartment?
2. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
3. In what city was Eric's apartment?
4. What did one of Eric's brothers place on the coffin?
5. What day of the week did Eric die?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)