|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
2. How old was Eric when he nearly died because he would not admit that he could not swim?
3. What author does Nicholas quote, who says that "No man is an island"?
(a) John Donne.
(b) Francis Bacon.
(c) Edmund Waller.
(d) Ben Jonson.
4. Where did much of the music come from that was played at Eric's funeral?
(a) The Renaissance.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The hymnbook of their congregation.
(d) Ecumenical community of Taize.
5. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(b) Timeless disembodiment.
(d) The life hereafter.
6. What does Nicholas say that he had to fly across to retrieve Eric's body?
(a) The United States.
(d) The ocean.
7. On page 30, what does Nicholas say was found in Eric's apartment?
(a) Cards Eric had meant to mail to friends.
(b) Lists of things Eric was planning to do.
(c) Old climbing equipment.
(d) Presents Eric had bought for his family.
8. Who said tears would make "a pillow for my heart"?
(a) James the Just.
(c) Ignatius of Antioch.
9. What passage from the Bible does Nicholas quote that says, "The grass withers, the flower fades"?
(a) I Corinthians 15.
(b) Psalm 103.
(c) Ecclesiastes 3.
(d) Isaiah 40.
10. What did Nicholas experience after his brief moment of resignation?
(a) Extreme anger.
(b) A terrible feeling of loss.
(c) Cold burning pain.
(d) Deep sorrow.
11. What color hair did Eric have?
12. What type of books were on a table in Eric's apartment?
(a) Books on pottery.
(b) Architectural books.
(c) Bibles and devotionals.
(d) Art and mountaineering books.
13. When was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral composed?
(a) A few days after Eric's death.
(b) A few weeks before Eric's death.
(c) Several years before Eric's death.
(d) A few months before Eric's death.
14. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
15. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(b) Listen to the one who is hurting.
(d) Acknowledge the grief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What elements did Nicholas believe would comfort him?
2. What book does Nicholas say affirms the goodness of creation?
3. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
4. What day of the week was Eric's body returned to them?
5. Where did Nicholas have to go to reclaim Eric's body?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)