|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(b) Boots and backpack.
(c) Pulleys and pitons.
(d) Watch and compass.
2. Now that Eric is gone, what does Nicholas say there is in the world now, on page 33?
(a) A darkness.
(b) A lack of faith.
(c) A lack of peace.
(d) A hole.
3. Who did Nicholas meet with after he returned from Europe?
(a) A friend.
(b) His family.
(c) A co-worker.
(d) His pastor.
4. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
5. What time did Nicholas receive the call that his son had died?
(a) 4:30 p.m.
(b) 3:30 p.m.
(c) 1:30 p.m.
(d) 2:30 p.m.
6. How old does Nicholas think Eric might have been in a photo that shows him holding a fish longer than he was?
7. What poet wrote about "inscape"?
(a) Gerard Manley Hopkins.
(b) Robert Browning.
(c) G. K. Chesterton.
(d) Matthew Arnold.
8. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
9. One of Nicholas's friends had a son who died several weeks before Eric. How did this young man die?
(d) Brain tumor.
10. For whom was the liturgy used at Eric's funeral originally written?
(a) A friend suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease.
(b) A friend suffering from brain cancer.
(c) A friend whose child died in infancy.
(d) A friend whose son committed suicide.
11. What type of spices did Eric have in his cupboard?
12. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(a) Listen to the one who is hurting.
(b) Acknowledge the grief.
13. As creatures of God, what does Nicholas say man should not yearn for?
(a) Timeless disembodiment.
(d) The life hereafter.
14. What hope did not console Nicholas?
(a) Hope in life after death.
(b) Hope of seeing Eric again.
(c) Hope that God had a plan.
(d) Hope of the resurrection.
15. How old was Eric when he nearly died because he would not admit that he could not swim?
Short Answer Questions
1. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
2. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
3. Where did Eric die?
4. What did one of Eric's brothers place on the coffin?
5. What day of the week did Eric die?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)