|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the profoundest features of the Christian and Jewish way of being-in-the-world and being-in-history?
2. What was the weather like on the night Eric was born?
3. On Eric's way up the mountain, he passed a boulder with plaques listing the names of people who had died where he was going to climb. How many names were on the plaques?
4. When death is seen as a slicing of what God declared to be, then what is death?
(a) The enemy.
(b) A deep despair.
(c) A friend.
(d) A dark pit.
5. What did Eric spend much of one summer helping to rebuild?
(b) House of hurricane victims.
(c) Farm buildings.
(d) Houses of tornado victims.
6. What day of the week did Nicholas receive the call that his son died?
7. What color hair did Eric have?
8. Of all of the things to do when comforting someone who is in pain because of grief, what is the greatest thing to do?
(a) Acknowledge the grief.
(b) Listen to the one who is hurting.
9. What are some people gifted with when someone is suffering?
(a) Words of encouragement.
(b) Words of wisdom.
(c) Words of kindness.
(d) Words of faith.
10. When it comes to grief, what people need to be corrected eventually and gently?
(a) People who believe things are more awful than they really are.
(b) People who have become embittered.
(c) People who can no longer love.
(d) People who have no faith.
11. Which of Eric's belongings did the undertaker return that were unscathed?
(a) Boots and backpack.
(b) Watch and compass.
(c) Climbing harness and carabiners.
(d) Pulleys and pitons.
12. What type of spices did Eric have in his cupboard?
13. Who does Nicholas say "scarcely looks ahead; his plans are cautious, few, short-term"?
(a) A new father.
(b) A teenager.
(c) A groom.
(d) An old person.
14. What does Nicholas say that a friend's silence is to his wounds?
15. What did Nicholas and his family decide to do with Eric's belongings?
(a) Give them away to extended family members.
(b) Donate them to charity.
(c) Leave them out as a memorial.
(d) Give them to his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Eric when he asked Nicholas how "we know there's God?"
2. Who made a special cloth used during the funeral?
3. In what city was Eric born?
4. Who insisted on seeing Eric's body?
5. What does Nicholas say that a friend's tears are to his wounds?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)