|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the stone represent on the pipe?
2. How many years did Richard go to the Odenwald Schule?
3. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
4. Lame Deer states in Blood Turned Into Stone that all Indian wisdom could be known through what?
5. Lame Deer describes the heyokas as having rattles made from rows of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
2. Describe the place where the wakinyan live.
3. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
4. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
5. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
6. What is the story that Lame Deer tells about the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog?
7. How does Lame Deer suggest that mankind can get back on the red road of the pipe or the road of life?
8. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
9. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
10. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lame Deer's experience in the vision pit that is mentioned in the beginning of the book. How did this experience transform him from a boy to a man? Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What importance was having an epilogue in the book? What insight does this epilogue provide into Lame Deer's life and into Richard Erdoes' life? How does the epilogue benefit the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lame Deer thinks the white man has destroyed or taken the "spirit" from particular animals and also how the white man has taken away from his own natural body. What disasters befall the white man because of these problems, according to Lame Deer?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)