|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The White Buffalo Woman wore a dress made of what?
2. In the story mentioned in the beginning of Blood Turned Into Stone, what made up the large pool of blood?
3. Richard's Catholic aunt in Austria went to early Mass each morning at what time?
4. When the earth was young, the Sioux Indians believe that the wakinyan ruled over what?
5. How many people smoked Lame Deer's pipe that he brought to the convention mentioned in Blood Turned Into Stone?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the experiences that Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes had growing up. Explain how the two became good friends and why you think they had such a strong relationship.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Medicine, Good and Bad, Lame Deer talks about the medicine man or wicasa wakan and how they love silence. Why do you think the wicasa wakan had the desire to be by themselves and loved silence? What kinds of experiences did the wicasa wakan have as a result of silence and meditation? How did this bring the wicasa wakan closer to nature and closer to fellow Sioux Indians?
Essay Topic 3
What does Lame Deer mean when he says, "what you see with your eyes shut is what counts"? How does this relate to the medicine man or wicasa wakan? How could it relate to other tribe members or even Lame Deer himself? Describe your thoughts on this statement and explain how it relates to the book and to the reader.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)