|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If a person would swear by the sacred pipe then they could not do what?
2. How many sons did Richard Erdoes have?
3. What was an owanka wakan?
4. What was Rabbit Boy's buckskin decorated with?
5. When Richard fed about sixty Indians in his New York apartment in 1967, how many of those Indians had come to participate in a peace march with Martin Luther King?
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Lame Deer mentions that sometimes parents wanted their daughters to marry a famous chief but sometimes their daughter had her heart set on someone else. Sometimes the daughters would elope. Why do you think the tribe and parents approved of this union after the couple returned from their elopement? Why wasn't the arranged marriage forced by the parents and tribe? How did this help unity of families and the tribe as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Medicine, Good and Bad, Lame Deer talks about the medicine man or wicasa wakan and how they love silence. Why do you think the wicasa wakan had the desire to be by themselves and loved silence? What kinds of experiences did the wicasa wakan have as a result of silence and meditation? How did this bring the wicasa wakan closer to nature and closer to fellow Sioux Indians?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the experiences that Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes had growing up. Explain how the two became good friends and why you think they had such a strong relationship.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)