|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story mentioned in the beginning of Blood Turned Into Stone, what made up the large pool of blood?
2. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
3. Lame Deer tells a story from the 1920's when an Indian was running away from a bunch of cowboys on horseback who couldn't catch him. How old was the Indian?
4. When Lame Deer talks about a clown going to the store, the clown discovers a can that has a picture of what on it?
5. The bowl of the pipe represented what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lame Deer state that one word like medicine man cannot describe what an actual medicine man is in the Sioux culture? How complex is being a medicine man and why? What different names and definitions does Lame Deer give for the Sioux "medicine men"?
Essay Topic 2
What importance was having an epilogue in the book? What insight does this epilogue provide into Lame Deer's life and into Richard Erdoes' life? How does the epilogue benefit the reader?
Essay Topic 3
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)