|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the smoke rising from the pipe represent?
2. Richard told of times when he and a Hungarian peasant girl would eat bacon with a fine powder of what?
3. In order for a person to have listened to the story of Much-Blood-Man a person ought to have fasted for how many days?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 15, Lame Deer states that he was going to tell a story that wouldn't be funny. The story was about what?
5. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sioux legend, where did the blood-red rock found in the southwest corner of Minnesota come from?
2. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
3. Because of Iktome, the spider man, what did the villagers do to Rabbit Boy?
4. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
5. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
6. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
7. What is the story that Lame Deer tells about the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog?
8. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
9. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
10. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lame Deer state that one word like medicine man cannot describe what an actual medicine man is in the Sioux culture? How complex is being a medicine man and why? What different names and definitions does Lame Deer give for the Sioux "medicine men"?
Essay Topic 2
What importance was having an epilogue in the book? What insight does this epilogue provide into Lame Deer's life and into Richard Erdoes' life? How does the epilogue benefit the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Lame Deer mentions that he left the discussion about the peace pipe until the end of the book because it is the most important subject. Describe why the pipe is such an important symbol and thing in the Sioux Indian culture. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)