|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Richard Erdoes find himself crossing the Atlantic Ocean?
2. Winnetou's sidekick was a German what?
3. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
4. Where did Richard Erdoes study art?
5. What saved a young beautiful woman from the immense flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
2. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
3. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
4. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
5. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
6. Describe the Odenwald Schule that Richard Erdoes attended for two years.
7. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
8. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
9. What happened when Richard Erdoes was attending a yuwipi meeting and he asked to take photographs?
10. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of Chapter 6, The Circle and the Square, Lame Deer mentions a belt that his grandmother made that has symbols on it; telling a story. What story do these symbols tell and what symbols are used for the story? Describe what symbols mean to the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles and experiences that Lame Deer went through that helped him become insightful and respectful of the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 3
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)