|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer described the prayer he usually said when he was crying for a vision. He asked the Great Spirit to pity him so that what may occur?
2. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
3. The substitute dancers that helped the heyokas put grass in what two places?
4. What was the color of the buckskin that Rabbit boy wore?
5. One clown was called Heyoka Osni which means what?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Lame Deer's ancestors and immediate family influenced him in his life and made him into the person he was.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Medicine, Good and Bad, Lame Deer talks about the medicine man or wicasa wakan and how they love silence. Why do you think the wicasa wakan had the desire to be by themselves and loved silence? What kinds of experiences did the wicasa wakan have as a result of silence and meditation? How did this bring the wicasa wakan closer to nature and closer to fellow Sioux Indians?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Lame Deer mentions that sometimes parents wanted their daughters to marry a famous chief but sometimes their daughter had her heart set on someone else. Sometimes the daughters would elope. Why do you think the tribe and parents approved of this union after the couple returned from their elopement? Why wasn't the arranged marriage forced by the parents and tribe? How did this help unity of families and the tribe as a whole?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)