|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
2. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
3. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
4. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
5. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
2. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
3. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
4. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
5. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
6. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
7. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
8. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
9. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
10. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the struggles and experiences that Lame Deer went through that helped him become insightful and respectful of the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sun dance. Why would this ritual be considered harsh in the white man's world? What were you feelings about this ritual when you read about it? After reading Lame Deer's explanation of the sun dance, would you still consider it to be harsh? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lame Deer went through a period in his life when he was searching for himself. Describe the process of Lame Deer discovering his true self. What experiences did Lame Deer have to help him discover who he was meant to be? Were there any influential people that helped Lame Deer on his path to discovery? If so, who were they?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)