|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
2. What Sioux word means to bind or tie up?
3. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
4. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
5. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
2. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
3. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
4. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
5. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
6. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
7. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
8. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
9. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
10. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of Chapter 6, The Circle and the Square, Lame Deer mentions a belt that his grandmother made that has symbols on it; telling a story. What story do these symbols tell and what symbols are used for the story? Describe what symbols mean to the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe one of your favorite Indian ceremonies, rituals, or legends that you read about in the book. Why was this your favorite and what things intrigued you about this particular ceremony, ritual, or legend?
Essay Topic 3
What new things did you learn from this book about Indian culture? What things surprised you or enlightened you about the Sioux way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)