|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer talks about the white man being afraid of natural odors and declares that soon the white man will breed people without what?
2. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
3. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
4. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
5. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
2. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
3. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
4. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
5. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
6. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
7. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
8. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
9. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
10. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 16, Lame Deer says that "we can teach each other to see through the cloud of pollution that politicians, industrialists, and technical experts see as 'reality' ". Describe what Lame Deer is talking about when he mentions a cloud of pollution. What examples does Lame Deer describe of this pollution in the book?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, Blood Turned into Stone, Lame Deer tells the story of the White Buffalo Woman. When the White Buffalo Woman met the two hunters that were scouting for buffalo, one of the hunters tried to seize her and he was destroyed. Lame Deer states that desire had killed that hunter. He goes on to say that there have been many to die because of desire and "if this earth should ever be destroyed, it will be by desire." What does Lame Deer mean by this statement? How does this statement relate to the book? Use specific examples from the book to support your thoughts.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)