|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Custer battle, who had green paper in their pockets?
2. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
3. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
4. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
5. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
2. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
3. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
4. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
6. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
7. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
8. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
9. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
10. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Lame Deer state that one word like medicine man cannot describe what an actual medicine man is in the Sioux culture? How complex is being a medicine man and why? What different names and definitions does Lame Deer give for the Sioux "medicine men"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles and experiences that Lame Deer went through that helped him become insightful and respectful of the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 3
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)