|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
2. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
3. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
4. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
5. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
2. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
3. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
4. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
5. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
6. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
7. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
8. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
9. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
10. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the struggles and experiences that Lame Deer went through that helped him become insightful and respectful of the Sioux culture.
Essay Topic 2
Describe one of your favorite Indian ceremonies, rituals, or legends that you read about in the book. Why was this your favorite and what things intrigued you about this particular ceremony, ritual, or legend?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, Blood Turned into Stone, Lame Deer tells the story of the White Buffalo Woman. When the White Buffalo Woman met the two hunters that were scouting for buffalo, one of the hunters tried to seize her and he was destroyed. Lame Deer states that desire had killed that hunter. He goes on to say that there have been many to die because of desire and "if this earth should ever be destroyed, it will be by desire." What does Lame Deer mean by this statement? How does this statement relate to the book? Use specific examples from the book to support your thoughts.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)