|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
2. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
3. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
4. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
5. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
2. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
3. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
4. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
5. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
6. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
7. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
8. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
9. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
10. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the experiences that Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes had growing up. Explain how the two became good friends and why you think they had such a strong relationship.
Essay Topic 2
Describe one of your favorite Indian ceremonies, rituals, or legends that you read about in the book. Why was this your favorite and what things intrigued you about this particular ceremony, ritual, or legend?
Essay Topic 3
What new things did you learn from this book about Indian culture? What things surprised you or enlightened you about the Sioux way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
This section contains 1,704 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)