|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
2. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
3. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
4. Lame Deer talks about an old white man that invited him and his friend into his cellar to drink and play cards. Lame Deer said that this bootlegger was so drunk he couldn't do what?
5. What Sioux word means to bind or tie up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
2. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
3. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
4. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
5. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
6. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
7. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
8. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
9. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
10. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the sun dance. Why would this ritual be considered harsh in the white man's world? What were you feelings about this ritual when you read about it? After reading Lame Deer's explanation of the sun dance, would you still consider it to be harsh? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Lame Deer thinks the white man has destroyed or taken the "spirit" from particular animals and also how the white man has taken away from his own natural body. What disasters befall the white man because of these problems, according to Lame Deer?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)