|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
2. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
3. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
4. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
5. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
2. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
3. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
4. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
5. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
6. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
7. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
8. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
9. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
10. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the experiences that Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes had growing up. Explain how the two became good friends and why you think they had such a strong relationship.
Essay Topic 2
According to Lame Deer, what are the evils that come from the "green frog skin"? Do you agree with Lame Deer's view on money? Why or why not? What other evils did the white man bring to the Indian culture? Use specific examples from the book to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In the book, Lame Deer mentions that he left the discussion about the peace pipe until the end of the book because it is the most important subject. Describe why the pipe is such an important symbol and thing in the Sioux Indian culture. Use specific information from the book to support your answers.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)