|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
2. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
3. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer mentions that one of his tribe's troubles is that they can't do what?
5. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
2. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
3. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
4. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
5. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
6. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
7. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
8. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
9. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
10. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Medicine, Good and Bad, Lame Deer talks about the medicine man or wicasa wakan and how they love silence. Why do you think the wicasa wakan had the desire to be by themselves and loved silence? What kinds of experiences did the wicasa wakan have as a result of silence and meditation? How did this bring the wicasa wakan closer to nature and closer to fellow Sioux Indians?
Essay Topic 2
What new things did you learn from this book about Indian culture? What things surprised you or enlightened you about the Sioux way of life? Use specific information to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe one of your favorite Indian ceremonies, rituals, or legends that you read about in the book. Why was this your favorite and what things intrigued you about this particular ceremony, ritual, or legend?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)