|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
2. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
3. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
4. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
5. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
2. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
3. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
4. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
5. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
6. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
7. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
8. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
9. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
10. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Lame Deer. Explain Lame Deer's characteristics and ideals. What is important to Lame Deer? In what ways do you agree with Lame Deer's views that are mentioned in the book? Are there any particular ideas that you don't agree with that that Lame Deer brings up in the book? If so, what are they and why do you disagree?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sun dance. Why would this ritual be considered harsh in the white man's world? What were you feelings about this ritual when you read about it? After reading Lame Deer's explanation of the sun dance, would you still consider it to be harsh? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe one of your favorite Indian ceremonies, rituals, or legends that you read about in the book. Why was this your favorite and what things intrigued you about this particular ceremony, ritual, or legend?
This section contains 1,822 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)