|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sons did Richard Erdoes have?
2. When Lame Deer talks about a clown going to the store, the clown discovers a can that has a picture of what on it?
(a) A naked chicken.
(b) A fat puppy.
(c) A pig over a fire pit.
(d) A horse running fast.
3. Which entrance did the butterfly guard on the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
(a) The South.
(b) The East.
(c) The West.
(d) The North.
4. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
5. In the Indian culture, Lame Deer states that clowns had more power than what?
(a) A thunder storm.
(b) The atom bomb.
(c) A poison arrow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the name of the pipe, Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa mean?
2. How many people smoked Lame Deer's pipe that he brought to the convention mentioned in Blood Turned Into Stone?
3. How many years did Richard go to the Odenwald Schule?
4. Lame Deer tells a story from the 1920's when an Indian was running away from a bunch of cowboys on horseback who couldn't catch him. How old was the Indian?
5. Lame Deer states that the egg from which all the thunderbirds are hatched is bigger than what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
2. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
3. How does Lame Deer suggest that mankind can get back on the red road of the pipe or the road of life?
4. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
5. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
6. When Lame Deer tried to describe a thunderbird, why did he say that could not do it?
7. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
8. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
9. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
10. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)