|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 15, Lame Deer states that he was going to tell a story that wouldn't be funny. The story was about what?
2. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
(a) A dollar.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Five dollars.
3. When the White Buffalo Woman was addressing the children of the tribe she told them to "remember this and grow up" and do what?
(a) "Live a good and strong life."
(b) "Teach your children."
(c) "Be better than the past."
(d) "Love the land."
4. Why did Richard's aunt from Austria claim all her fleas liked him better?
(a) Because he had sweeter blood.
(b) Because he was a young boy.
(c) Because they knew she didn't like them.
(d) Because she was a religious woman.
5. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
(a) A leg.
(b) A backbone.
(c) An arm.
(d) A body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer tells a story from the 1920's when an Indian was running away from a bunch of cowboys on horseback who couldn't catch him. How old was the Indian?
2. What was something that was very sacred, especially to Indians, that the clowns could give the Sioux people?
3. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
4. Winnetou's sidekick was a German what?
5. What did a heyoka ceremony start with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
2. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
3. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
4. Describe the Odenwald Schule that Richard Erdoes attended for two years.
5. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
6. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
7. Describe the place where the wakinyan live.
8. What happened when Richard Erdoes was attending a yuwipi meeting and he asked to take photographs?
9. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
10. What did Richard Erdoes see when he rushed to the window and looked outside on his first day in New York City?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)