|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The substitute dancers that helped the heyokas put grass in what two places?
(a) Their belts and shoes.
(b) Their shoes and ears.
(c) Their hair and shoes.
(d) Their belts and hair.
2. What was something that was very sacred, especially to Indians, that the clowns could give the Sioux people?
3. When Richard stopped his car during his first encounter with the American West, what animal did he hear the calls of?
4. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
5. One clown was called Heyoka Osni which means what?
(a) The happy cheerful.
(b) The cold fool.
(c) The fleeing feet.
(d) The sluggish man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Winnetou's sidekick?
2. What was the color of the buckskin that Rabbit boy wore?
3. Lame Deer states that being a clown brought honor but also what?
4. When the earth was young, the Sioux Indians believe that the wakinyan ruled over what?
5. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the place where the wakinyan live.
2. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
3. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
4. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
5. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
6. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
7. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
8. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
9. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
10. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)