|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Winnetou's sidekick was a German what?
(a) Horse rancher.
2. What made the first sound that was heard on earth?
(a) The call of the thunderbird egg.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) The howling of the wind pipe.
3. Which entrance did the butterfly guard on the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
(a) The East.
(b) The West.
(c) The North.
(d) The South.
4. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
5. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
(a) A body.
(b) A leg.
(c) A backbone.
(d) An arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people smoked Lame Deer's pipe that he brought to the convention mentioned in Blood Turned Into Stone?
2. Where did Richard Erdoes study art?
3. When the White Buffalo Woman entered the tipi with the old men of the tribe, what was the only thing they could offer her?
4. What did the stone represent on the pipe?
5. What did the name of the Itazipcho tribe mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
2. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
3. According to legend, where did the Sioux nation come from?
4. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
5. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
6. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
7. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
8. What is the story that Lame Deer tells about the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog?
9. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
10. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)