|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was an owanka wakan?
(a) A sacred earth altar.
(b) A sacred water bridge.
(c) A sacred hollow tree.
(d) A sacred pipe cover.
2. How many hunters were sent out who discovered the White Buffalo Woman?
3. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
4. When the earth was young, the Sioux Indians believe that the wakinyan ruled over what?
(a) The land.
(b) The underworld.
(c) The waters.
(d) The heavens.
5. When a clown was fooling around he was really performing what?
(a) A silly joke.
(b) A spiritual ceremony.
(c) A sad dance.
(d) A comedy act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rabbit Boy's buckskin decorated with?
2. Richard states in the Epilogue of the book that one kind soul solved his problem of religion by taking him where?
3. Who did Richard Erdoes claim was responsible for he and his pals attending "blood operas"?
4. When Richard fed about sixty Indians in his New York apartment in 1967, how many of those Indians had come to participate in a peace march with Martin Luther King?
5. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
2. What happened when Richard Erdoes was attending a yuwipi meeting and he asked to take photographs?
3. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
4. Why would it make a sick person happy to hear a heyoka tell them that they are going to die?
5. According to legend, where did the Sioux nation come from?
6. According to Sioux legend, where did the blood-red rock found in the southwest corner of Minnesota come from?
7. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
8. Describe the Odenwald Schule that Richard Erdoes attended for two years.
9. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
10. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)