|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sons did Richard Erdoes have?
2. What is the word for clown in the Lakota language?
3. Where does Lame Deer state that too many of the Sioux Indian things wind up?
(a) In the trash.
(b) Lost to those who don't believe.
(c) In museums.
(d) Lost in nature.
4. One clown was called Heyoka Osni which means what?
(a) The happy cheerful.
(b) The fleeing feet.
(c) The sluggish man.
(d) The cold fool.
5. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer described the prayer he usually said when he was crying for a vision. He asked the Great Spirit to pity him so that what may occur?
2. In the Indian culture, Lame Deer states that clowns had more power than what?
3. Lame Deer tells a story from the 1920's when an Indian was running away from a bunch of cowboys on horseback who couldn't catch him. How old was the Indian?
4. What did the the heyoka do when he ran up on the bucket of boiling water?
5. What animal guarded the west entrance to the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
2. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
3. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
4. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
5. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
6. How does Lame Deer suggest that mankind can get back on the red road of the pipe or the road of life?
7. What is the story that Lame Deer tells about the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog?
8. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
9. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
10. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)