|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lame Deer talks about a clown going to the store, the clown discovers a can that has a picture of what on it?
(a) A naked chicken.
(b) A pig over a fire pit.
(c) A fat puppy.
(d) A horse running fast.
2. Lame Deer states that those who saw the unktegila went blind for how many days?
3. When the White Buffalo Woman was addressing the children of the tribe she told them to "remember this and grow up" and do what?
(a) "Live a good and strong life."
(b) "Love the land."
(c) "Teach your children."
(d) "Be better than the past."
4. When a clown was fooling around he was really performing what?
(a) A comedy act.
(b) A silly joke.
(c) A sad dance.
(d) A spiritual ceremony.
5. Lame Deer mentions that sometimes the tonwan or thunderbolt hits something. What does he describe it hitting?
(a) A human.
(b) A pig.
(c) A horse.
(d) A bull.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Blood Turned Into Stone, Lame Deer talks about the people who inhabited this land a long time ago trying to save themselves from an immense flood by going where?
2. How many people smoked Lame Deer's pipe that he brought to the convention mentioned in Blood Turned Into Stone?
3. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
4. When Richard stopped his car during his first encounter with the American West, what animal did he hear the calls of?
5. When the earth was young, the Sioux Indians believe that the wakinyan ruled over what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
2. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
3. What did Richard Erdoes see when he rushed to the window and looked outside on his first day in New York City?
4. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
5. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
6. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
7. What happened when Richard Erdoes was attending a yuwipi meeting and he asked to take photographs?
8. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
9. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
10. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)