|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
2. When Richard fed about sixty Indians in his New York apartment in 1967, how many of those Indians had come to participate in a peace march with Martin Luther King?
3. Lame Deer tells the story of the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog in Chapter 16. At the beginning of the story, what were they sitting on?
(a) A patch of grass.
(b) A rock.
(c) A log.
(d) A lillypad.
4. What did the name of the Itazipcho tribe mean?
(a) Without Bows.
(b) With Honor.
(c) With Spirit.
(d) Without Guns.
5. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What shoots out from the wakinyan's eyes?
2. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
3. What does the name of the pipe, Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa mean?
4. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
5. Lame Deer states in Blood Turned Into Stone that all Indian wisdom could be known through what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
2. When Lame Deer tried to describe a thunderbird, why did he say that could not do it?
3. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
4. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
5. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
6. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
7. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
8. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
9. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
10. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)