|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rabbit Boy's buckskin decorated with?
(a) Eagle feathers.
(b) Porcupine quills.
(c) Buffalo skin.
(d) Horse teeth.
2. The White Buffalo Woman wore a dress made of what?
(a) White buckskin.
(b) White quills.
(c) White feathers.
(d) White silk.
3. What does the Lakota word, wakinyan mean?
4. What was something that was very sacred, especially to Indians, that the clowns could give the Sioux people?
5. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the oldest dance along with the sun dance in the Sioux culture?
2. Lame Deer mentions that sometimes the tonwan or thunderbolt hits something. What does he describe it hitting?
3. When Richard had some of his Indian friends visit him in New York, what left the Indians speechless?
4. How many children did Richard and his wife have?
5. In what year was Richard sent to do a story on an old mining railroad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
2. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
3. According to legend, where did the Sioux nation come from?
4. Because of Iktome, the spider man, what did the villagers do to Rabbit Boy?
5. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
6. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
7. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
8. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
9. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
10. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)