|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many hunters were sent out who discovered the White Buffalo Woman?
2. In what year did Richard Erdoes finish High School?
3. When Richard had some of his Indian friends visit him in New York, what left the Indians speechless?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The hustle and bustle of New Yorkers.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The skyscrapers.
4. What saved a young beautiful woman from the immense flood?
(a) An eagle.
(b) The Great Spirit.
(c) A buffalo.
(d) A thunderbird.
5. The bowl of the pipe represented what?
(a) The head.
(b) The hands.
(c) The feet.
(d) The body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Richard's first encounter with the American West take place?
2. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
3. What was an owanka wakan?
4. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
5. What did the smoke rising from the pipe represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Because of Iktome, the spider man, what did the villagers do to Rabbit Boy?
2. According to legend, where did the Sioux nation come from?
3. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
4. Describe the place where the wakinyan live.
5. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
6. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
7. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
8. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
9. Describe the Odenwald Schule that Richard Erdoes attended for two years.
10. Why would it make a sick person happy to hear a heyoka tell them that they are going to die?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)