|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the name of the Itazipcho tribe mean?
(a) Without Guns.
(b) Without Bows.
(c) With Spirit.
(d) With Honor.
2. What made the first sound that was heard on earth?
(b) The howling of the wind pipe.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) The call of the thunderbird egg.
3. The White Buffalo Woman wore a dress made of what?
(a) White silk.
(b) White buckskin.
(c) White quills.
(d) White feathers.
4. When a clown was fooling around he was really performing what?
(a) A spiritual ceremony.
(b) A sad dance.
(c) A silly joke.
(d) A comedy act.
5. Lame Deer tells of a convention that he went to and brought his pipe, which everyone smoked. How long had Lame Deer had this particular pipe?
(a) More than thirty five years.
(b) More than fifty years.
(c) More than forty years.
(d) More than thirty years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of work did Richard do in New York?
2. Lame Deer states in Blood Turned Into Stone that all Indian wisdom could be known through what?
3. What did the the heyoka do when he ran up on the bucket of boiling water?
4. What was the color of the buckskin that Rabbit boy wore?
5. Lame Deer states that being a clown brought honor but also what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
2. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
3. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
4. Because of Iktome, the spider man, what did the villagers do to Rabbit Boy?
5. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
6. When Lame Deer tried to describe a thunderbird, why did he say that could not do it?
7. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
8. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
9. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
10. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)