|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer mentions that sometimes the tonwan or thunderbolt hits something. What does he describe it hitting?
(a) A pig.
(b) A horse.
(c) A human.
(d) A bull.
2. What did a heyoka ceremony start with?
(a) A bath.
(b) Smoking a pipe.
(c) Singing a chant.
(d) A dance.
3. How many years did Richard go to the Odenwald Schule?
4. When Richard fed about sixty Indians in his New York apartment in 1967, how many of those Indians had come to participate in a peace march with Martin Luther King?
5. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Richard Erdoes finish High School?
2. Who did Richard Erdoes claim was responsible for he and his pals attending "blood operas"?
3. How many children did Richard and his wife have?
4. When the White Buffalo Woman entered the tipi with the old men of the tribe, what was the only thing they could offer her?
5. When Lame Deer received the chance to hold the Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa, what colors of flannel was it wrapped in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
2. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
3. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
4. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
5. What does Richard Erdoes say he did as a child when he would attend a "blood opera" with his pals?
6. Because of Iktome, the spider man, what did the villagers do to Rabbit Boy?
7. Why would it make a sick person happy to hear a heyoka tell them that they are going to die?
8. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
9. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
10. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)