|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In order for a person to have listened to the story of Much-Blood-Man a person ought to have fasted for how many days?
2. Richard's Catholic aunt in Austria went to early Mass each morning at what time?
(a) 6 A.M.
(b) 5 A.M.
(c) 8 A.M.
(d) 7 A.M.
3. What was the name of Winnetou's sidekick?
(a) Old Horse boy.
(b) Old Shatterhand.
(c) Old cowboy guns.
(d) Old Pacekeeper.
4. Lame Deer described the prayer he usually said when he was crying for a vision. He asked the Great Spirit to pity him so that what may occur?
(a) The white people will learn.
(b) The land might grow.
(c) He might receive his vision.
(d) His people may live.
5. The bowl of the pipe represented what?
(a) The body.
(b) The feet.
(c) The hands.
(d) The head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a heyoka ceremony start with?
2. What was the name of Richard Erdoes' wife?
3. What is the name of the the spider-man in Sioux legend?
4. When Richard was driving through the plains on his first encounter with the American West, what were the houses surrounded by?
5. Richard's grandfather taught him to stay away from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
2. According to Sioux legend, where did the blood-red rock found in the southwest corner of Minnesota come from?
3. According to legend, where did the Sioux nation come from?
4. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
5. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
6. Before Richard Erdoes met his Indian friends, what did he do in New York?
7. What does Lame Deer say is the reason that one loud clap of thunder is heard followed by smaller rumblings?
8. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
9. How does Richard Erdoes describe the prairie of South Dakota?
10. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)