|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work did Richard do in New York?
(a) He was a graphic designer.
(b) He was an illustrator.
(c) He was an architect.
(d) He was a painter.
2. What made the first sound that was heard on earth?
(b) An earthquake.
(c) The call of the thunderbird egg.
(d) The howling of the wind pipe.
3. Which entrance did the butterfly guard on the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
(a) The West.
(b) The South.
(c) The East.
(d) The North.
4. Lame Deer tells the story of the heyoka turtle and the heyoka frog in Chapter 16. At the beginning of the story, what were they sitting on?
(a) A patch of grass.
(b) A lillypad.
(c) A log.
(d) A rock.
5. What did Richard keep doing all the way back to their campsite after his first experience with the American West?
(a) Snapping his gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the tale about Rabbit Boy, when the rabbit came across a pool of blood, what did he do?
2. Why did Richard's aunt from Austria claim all her fleas liked him better?
3. Where did Richard Erdoes study art?
4. What did the the heyoka do when he ran up on the bucket of boiling water?
5. When a clown was fooling around he was really performing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Karl May's favorite Indian hero?
2. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
3. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
4. Why would it make a sick person happy to hear a heyoka tell them that they are going to die?
5. How does Lame Deer liken the sacred pipe to a Sioux person?
6. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
7. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
8. What did the substitute dancers in a heyoka ceremony wear?
9. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
10. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)