|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
2. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
3. What church was Lame Deer a member of for five years?
(a) First Indian American Church.
(b) The Native American Church.
(c) Eastern Community Church.
(d) The Church of the American Indian.
4. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Four or five.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Eight or nine.
(d) Six or seven.
5. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(c) New life.
(d) Living breath.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
2. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
3. When Lame Deer talks about the four square miles along the Rapid River that his great-grandfather and his tribe had taken away from them, he talks about the government missing out on a life-sized dinosaur made out of green what?
4. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
5. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
2. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
3. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
4. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
5. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
6. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
7. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
8. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
9. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
10. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)