|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The wolf.
(b) The buffalo.
(c) The bull.
(d) The horse.
2. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Four or five.
3. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
(a) His bow and arrow.
(b) His pipe.
(c) His freedom.
(d) His picture.
4. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
(b) Red Rock.
5. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
2. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
3. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
4. What church was Lame Deer a member of for five years?
5. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Sioux legend, where did the blood-red rock found in the southwest corner of Minnesota come from?
2. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
3. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
4. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
5. Where did Richard Erdoes' Jewish grandfather live and what did he teach Richard?
6. Why would it make a sick person happy to hear a heyoka tell them that they are going to die?
7. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
8. How does Lame Deer suggest that mankind can get back on the red road of the pipe or the road of life?
9. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
10. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)