|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
2. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
(a) The needed to be opened.
(b) They needed to be covered with blankets.
(c) They needed to be purified.
(d) They needed to be painted.
3. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bear.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A buffalo.
4. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
(a) A milk truck.
(b) A garbage truck.
(c) A bike.
(d) A old mare.
5. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) A woman to cry about.
(b) Green frog skin.
(c) A flask.
(d) The instruction book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word inipi mean?
2. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
4. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
5. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
2. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
3. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
4. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
5. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
6. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
7. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
8. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
9. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
10. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)