|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lame Deer know he needed to do after he saw his grandfather with blood dripping from his chest?
(a) He needed to be a medicine man.
(b) He needed to take his grandfather's name.
(c) He needed to seek revenge on the white man.
(d) He needed to tell his family about the horrible truths of the white man.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The fire.
(b) The drums.
(c) The Great Spirit.
(d) The pipe smoke.
3. Lame Deer talks about a famous chief that was named Man-Afraid-of-His-what?
4. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
(a) Knotted brances.
(b) Hair ropes.
(c) Eagle feathers.
(d) Buffalo skin.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
(b) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
(c) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(d) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
2. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
3. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
4. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
5. What does the word inyan mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
2. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
3. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
4. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
5. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
6. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
7. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
8. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
9. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
10. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)