|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
(b) Red Rock.
2. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's stomach.
(b) It's tail.
(c) It's face.
(d) It's ears.
3. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A star.
(c) A circle.
(d) A thunderbird.
4. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
(b) Three thousand.
(c) Four hundred.
5. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Screaming Eagle.
(b) Morning Sun.
(c) Rod Iron.
(d) Iron Star.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
3. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
4. What does the word heyoka mean?
5. At the Custer battle, who had green paper in their pockets?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
2. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
3. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
4. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
5. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
6. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
7. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
8. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
9. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
10. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)