|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(a) Buffalo hides.
2. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
(b) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
(c) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
(d) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
3. What animal was most likely to appear in a vision that a medicine man had?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A deer.
(c) A bear.
(d) An eagle.
4. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
5. Lame Deer states in the beginning of Chapter 9 that if a conjurer or witch doctor is bad, he will do what?
(a) Put a sickness into you that only he can cure and then cure you for a price.
(b) Cause hatred in the tribe.
(c) Put an evil spirit into a person.
(d) Kill an animal and blame it on someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word inipi mean?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer mentions that one of his tribe's troubles is that they can't do what?
3. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
5. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
2. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
3. Describe some of the strange things that a heyoka, or clown does.
4. Some medicine men have an eagle feather attached to their pipe. Where is the eagle feather attached and why?
5. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
6. Where are the places set aside for surviving buffalo herds, and what does Lame Deer state the buffalo would say if they could speak?
7. What did Iktome, the spider man, decide to do after he discovered that Rabbit Boy had come back to life and gone up with the clouds?
8. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
9. How does Lame Deer suggest that mankind can get back on the red road of the pipe or the road of life?
10. What are some of the meanings of the word yuwipi that Lame Deer mentions in the book?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)