|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
2. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
3. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A golden eagle.
(b) A night hawk.
(c) An owl.
(d) A crow.
4. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
(a) His picture.
(b) His pipe.
(c) His bow and arrow.
(d) His freedom.
5. What does the word inyan mean?
(a) The rocks.
(b) The coyotes.
(c) The horses.
(d) The houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say is on the money, but is being killed by the money?
2. Lame Deer talks about an old white man that invited him and his friend into his cellar to drink and play cards. Lame Deer said that this bootlegger was so drunk he couldn't do what?
3. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
4. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
5. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
2. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
3. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
4. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
5. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
6. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
7. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
8. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
9. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
10. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)