|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
2. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(a) Gates and locks.
(b) White cattle ranchers.
(d) Boundry lines.
3. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(b) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
(c) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
(d) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
5. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The wolf.
(b) The bull.
(c) The buffalo.
(d) The horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
2. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
3. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
4. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
5. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
2. What are some of the meanings of the word yuwipi that Lame Deer mentions in the book?
3. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
4. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
5. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
6. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
7. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
8. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
9. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
10. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)