|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(b) Vermillion paint.
(c) Buffalo's blood.
(d) Blessed water.
2. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The buffalo.
(b) The horse.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The bull.
3. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A tail feather.
(c) Piece of green frog skin.
(d) A jackhammer.
4. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
(b) You are doomed to darkness.
(c) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(d) It will bring good luck.
5. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
(a) Of a man and a woman growing together in love.
(b) Of a old medicine man passing on his power to a younger medicine man.
(c) Of a young man growing into manhood.
(d) Of a warrior ready to kill for the first time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
2. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
3. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
4. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
5. What Sioux word means to bind or tie up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
2. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
3. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
4. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
5. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
6. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
7. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
8. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
9. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
10. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)