|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
(a) Eagle feathers.
(b) Buffalo skin.
(c) Hair ropes.
(d) Knotted brances.
2. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(a) Buffalo hides.
3. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
4. What did Lame Deer know he needed to do after he saw his grandfather with blood dripping from his chest?
(a) He needed to seek revenge on the white man.
(b) He needed to take his grandfather's name.
(c) He needed to tell his family about the horrible truths of the white man.
(d) He needed to be a medicine man.
5. Lame Deer talks about the white man being afraid of natural odors and declares that soon the white man will breed people without what?
(d) Body openings.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
2. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
3. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
4. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
5. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
2. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
3. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
4. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
5. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
6. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
7. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
8. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
9. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
10. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)