|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
2. How many days did the ghost dance last?
3. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
(b) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
(c) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
(d) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
4. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Four or five.
(d) Six or seven.
5. What was the name of Lame Deer's other grandfather besides Crazy Heart?
(a) Flying By.
(b) Planter of Water.
(c) Did Not Butcher.
(d) Good Fox.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
2. What was the reason that Indians drank according to Lame Deer?
3. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
4. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
5. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
2. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
3. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
4. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
5. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
6. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
7. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
8. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
9. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
10. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)