|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A cat.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bear.
2. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
3. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
(c) San Diego.
(d) Las Angeles.
4. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
(a) Four hundred.
(c) Three thousand.
5. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
2. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
3. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
4. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the woman look like that presented the first pipe to the Sioux tribe?
2. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
3. What would happen in a Sioux tribe when a young girl would have her heart set on a young boy instead of a famous chief and would elope with him?
4. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
5. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
6. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
7. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
8. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
9. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
10. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)