|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
(a) The white man.
(b) The tallest buildings in New York.
(c) The pyramids of Egypt.
(d) Mount Rushmore.
2. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Living breath.
(d) New life.
3. In the tale of the Stone Boy, when Stone Boy goes out to find his uncles he starts out in the morning and in the evening he smells what?
(a) Sweet rose petals.
(c) Buffalo breath.
(d) Crisp running water.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) Green frog skin.
(b) The peace pipe.
(c) Buffalo skins.
5. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Five thousand dollars.
(d) Twelve thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
2. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
3. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
4. What does the word heyoka mean?
5. What church was Lame Deer a member of for five years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
2. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
3. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
4. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
5. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
6. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
7. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
8. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
9. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
10. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)