|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
2. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
3. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
4. In the tale about the Stone Boy, what does the young girl swallow?
(a) A horse.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A stone.
(d) A boy.
5. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
(b) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
(c) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(d) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
2. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
3. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
4. Lame Deer states in the beginning of Chapter 9 that if a conjurer or witch doctor is bad, he will do what?
5. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
2. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
4. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
5. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
6. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
7. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
8. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
9. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
10. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)