|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(b) White cattle ranchers.
(c) Boundry lines.
(d) Gates and locks.
2. Lame Deer told a reporter that he would like to plant a staff on the very top of Mount Rushmore to make it a sacred mountain again. What colors would be on the staff?
(a) Black and green.
(b) Black and red.
(c) Red and yellow.
(d) Yellow and green.
3. What does the word inyan mean?
(a) The coyotes.
(b) The horses.
(c) The rocks.
(d) The houses.
4. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Crazy Bull.
(c) Wild Horse.
(d) Sitting Bull.
5. At the Custer battle, who had green paper in their pockets?
(a) The white soldiers.
(b) The white generals.
(c) The Indian chiefs.
(d) The Indian warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
2. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
3. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
4. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
5. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
2. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
3. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
4. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
5. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
6. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
7. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
8. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
9. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
10. What kind of shapes are in the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made that is mentioned in Chapter 6 and what do these shapes represent?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)