|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word heyoka mean?
2. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
3. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The Great Spirit.
(b) The drums.
(c) The fire.
(d) The pipe smoke.
5. If a boy wasn't satisfied with just rubbing noses with a girl, he would ask an elk medicine man to make him what?
(a) A flute.
(b) An ax.
(c) A bow and arrow.
(d) A horse bridle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
2. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
3. How many days did the ghost dance last?
4. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
5. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
2. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
3. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
4. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
5. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
6. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
7. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
8. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
9. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
10. Describe the situation described in Chapter 13 when white students gave an old chief a bottle of little pills.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)