|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
2. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
3. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to kill the badger.
(b) He had to shoot the rope in two.
(c) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(d) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
4. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) Green frog skin.
(b) Buffalo skins.
(c) The peace pipe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
2. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
3. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
4. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
5. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
2. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
4. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
5. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
6. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
7. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
8. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
9. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
10. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)