|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) It will bring good luck.
(b) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
(c) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(d) You are doomed to darkness.
2. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
(a) A star.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) A circle.
(d) A thunderbird.
3. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A bear.
(c) A cat.
(d) A wolf.
4. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
5. Lame Deer talks about an old white man that invited him and his friend into his cellar to drink and play cards. Lame Deer said that this bootlegger was so drunk he couldn't do what?
(a) Find his nose with both hands.
(b) Stand up to go to the bathroom.
(c) Walk a zig-zagged line.
(d) Breath any fresh air.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
2. What was the name of Lame Deer's other grandfather besides Crazy Heart?
3. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
4. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
5. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
2. What did the old Indian in The Green Frog Skin mean when he said, "now they own the air, too."?
3. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
4. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
5. Most of the time, how does a person become a medicine man?
6. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
7. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
8. When Lame Deer was put on trial, how much was he paid per day?
9. After the Indians smoke for the fourth and last time in the sweat house, what do they say and how do they exit?
10. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)