|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many horses did Lame Deer's father have?
(a) Over three hundred.
(b) Over two hundred and fifty.
(c) Over three hundred and fifty.
(d) Over two hundred.
2. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's stomach.
(b) It's face.
(c) It's tail.
(d) It's ears.
3. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
4. When Lame Deer talks about the four square miles along the Rapid River that his great-grandfather and his tribe had taken away from them, he talks about the government missing out on a life-sized dinosaur made out of green what?
(c) Paper Mache.
5. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
2. What does Lame Deer say is the name of a man who "uses the power of the rawhide and the stones to find and to cure"?
3. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
4. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
5. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
2. What are some of the meanings of the word yuwipi that Lame Deer mentions in the book?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
4. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
5. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
6. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
7. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
8. Why was the trial that Lame Deer was involved in considered to be one big confusion?
9. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
10. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)