|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
(c) Red Rock.
2. Lame Deer told a reporter that he would like to plant a staff on the very top of Mount Rushmore to make it a sacred mountain again. What colors would be on the staff?
(a) Red and yellow.
(b) Black and green.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Yellow and green.
3. What does the word heyoka mean?
4. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
5. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
2. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
3. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
4. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
5. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Lame Deer's great-grandfather was killed by mistake.
2. What kind of room would serve as a good room for a yuwipi meeting?
3. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
4. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
5. How did Lame Deer end up with a bum shoulder?
6. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
7. What does the lizard and turtle stand for in the Sioux culture and what were they believed to protect a baby from?
8. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
9. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
10. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)