|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
2. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Three thousand.
3. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(b) Vermillion paint.
(c) Buffalo's blood.
(d) Blessed water.
4. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
(a) Puffs of smoke off the pipe.
(b) Horses' tracks.
(c) Open doors.
(d) Tipi houses.
5. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Four or five.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
2. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
3. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
4. In the first part of the book, Lame Deer describes a white soldier bellied down in a gully watching the women using his green frog skin to fire up what?
5. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many buffalo skulls were needed in the old days of the sun dance and what were they needed for?
2. Why does Lame Deer say that the pipe is like an open Bible to him and his people?
3. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
4. Describe what happened when Indian police surrounded Sitting Bull's cabin.
5. What would the mothers of daughters afraid of tipi-creepers do to create a "No Trespassing" sign on their daughter and what would the mothers do if they found there had been a tipi-creeper?
6. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
7. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
8. Describe how Lame Deer sees the old cooking pot in Chapter 6.
9. In Chapter 14, the legend of the ghost dance is mentioned. A Ute holy man was taken to heaven and brought back five songs. What did this songs do?
10. Why does Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes enjoy sitting on Teddy Roosevelt's head more than the other heads on Mount Rushmore?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)