|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's tail.
(b) It's stomach.
(c) It's face.
(d) It's ears.
2. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
(a) A garbage truck.
(b) A milk truck.
(c) A bike.
(d) A old mare.
3. How many days did the ghost dance last?
4. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
(a) Piece of green frog skin.
(b) A jackhammer.
(c) A tail feather.
(d) A mountain.
5. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The steam bath.
(b) The inipi ceremony.
(c) The sun dance.
(d) The yuwipi ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
3. What does the word inyan mean?
4. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
5. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
2. What does the great wakinyan or thunderbird of the west look like?
3. What happened when Richard Erdoes was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman?
4. Describe how the thunder-beings eventually turned into wakinyan or thunderbirds.
5. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
6. In the story of the White Buffalo Woman, what did she say kept the tribe alive?
7. Why does Lame Deer say that Indian children are never alone?
8. What does Lame Deer state the old people used to say about damage caused by lightning?
9. How did each day end for Richard Erdoes when he lived with his aunt who was a Mohammedan girl from Sarajevo?
10. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)