|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
(c) Dog meat.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The fire.
(b) The drums.
(c) The Great Spirit.
(d) The pipe smoke.
3. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(b) He had to kill the badger.
(c) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(d) He had to shoot the rope in two.
4. How many horses did Lame Deer's father have?
(a) Over three hundred.
(b) Over two hundred.
(c) Over three hundred and fifty.
(d) Over two hundred and fifty.
5. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Six or seven.
(b) Eight or nine.
(c) Five or six.
(d) Four or five.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
2. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
4. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
5. What does the word heyoka mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a medicine man, or wicasa wakan, is old and nearing the end of his life, who does he try to pass on his vision and knowledge to and what happens if that doesn't work?
2. Describe some of the things that Indians endured during the sun dance.
3. What does Lame Deer say the white man's symbol is and why?
4. How does Godfrey Chips describe Crazy Horse?
5. Many medicine men get their power from a particular animal. Describe some of the powers and attributes that an elk master or medicine man would have.
6. Describe the first white man that Lame Deer ever met.
7. How does Lame Deer describe the white man's way of war?
8. In the beginning of Chapter 10, what does Lame Deer mention is the Indian's first rite and always comes before any other ritual?
9. What are some of the meanings of the word yuwipi that Lame Deer mentions in the book?
10. Who was Leonard Crow Dog?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)