|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the name of the pipe, Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa mean?
(a) Buffalo Bone Pipe.
(b) White Buffalo Woman Pipe.
(c) Buffalo Calf Bone Pipe.
(d) Buffalo Woman Pipe.
2. What does the Lakota word, wakinyan mean?
3. In what year did Richard Erdoes finish High School?
4. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
5. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
6. Winnetou's sidekick was a German what?
(a) Horse rancher.
7. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
8. What did the stone represent on the pipe?
(a) The head.
(b) The blood.
(c) The heart.
(d) The body.
9. Where did Richard's first encounter with the American West take place?
(b) North Dakota.
(c) South Dakota.
(d) New York.
10. The bowl of the pipe represented what?
(a) The body.
(b) The hands.
(c) The head.
(d) The feet.
11. What is the name of the the spider-man in Sioux legend?
12. The White Buffalo Woman wore a dress made of what?
(a) White buckskin.
(b) White silk.
(c) White feathers.
(d) White quills.
13. What did the smoke rising from the pipe represent?
(b) The eyes.
(c) The lungs.
14. When the White Buffalo Woman was addressing the children of the tribe she told them to "remember this and grow up" and do what?
(a) "Love the land."
(b) "Live a good and strong life."
(c) "Teach your children."
(d) "Be better than the past."
15. When Lame Deer was describing the pipe in Blood Turned Into Stone, he states that the pipe is "us". Therefore, the stem of the pipe represented what?
(a) A leg.
(b) A backbone.
(c) A body.
(d) An arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Indian culture, Lame Deer states that clowns had more power than what?
2. The birds that Richard spent time with ate raw hamburger out of his hand along with fragments of what?
3. Lame Deer states that being a clown brought honor but also what?
4. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
5. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)