|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) A dollar.
2. What types of birds did Richard spend a lot of time with in the aviary?
3. What did the smoke rising from the pipe represent?
(a) The eyes.
(b) The lungs.
4. What made the first sound that was heard on earth?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) The call of the thunderbird egg.
(d) The howling of the wind pipe.
5. Richard Erdoes' father died how many weeks before he was born?
6. What shoots out from the wakinyan's eyes?
7. What does the Lakota word, wakinyan mean?
8. In the story mentioned in the beginning of Blood Turned Into Stone, what made up the large pool of blood?
(a) The tears of the people.
(b) The thunderbird cries and buffalo skin.
(c) Flesh and bones of the people.
(d) Blood from the animals killed in the flood.
9. What is the oldest dance along with the sun dance in the Sioux culture?
(a) The "Water Comes" dance.
(b) The "Into the Sky" dance.
(c) The "Around the Bucket" dance.
(d) The "Sing to the Rain" dance.
10. Why did Richard's aunt from Austria claim all her fleas liked him better?
(a) Because he was a young boy.
(b) Because they knew she didn't like them.
(c) Because he had sweeter blood.
(d) Because she was a religious woman.
11. When the White Buffalo Woman entered the tipi with the old men of the tribe, what was the only thing they could offer her?
(a) Buffalo hide.
(b) Dog meat.
(c) Deer meat.
12. What is the name of the the spider-man in Sioux legend?
13. How many sons did Richard Erdoes have?
14. What is the word for clown in the Lakota language?
15. When Richard was arrested by a brutish-looking policeman who took him to a park, the policeman gave him enough money for a third-class ticket to where?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many paths led into the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
2. In the story of Richard and his friends writing a clandestine paper, how much were the costs for the parents of the condemned boy?
3. Lame Deer describes the heyokas as having rattles made from rows of what?
4. Richard states in the Epilogue of the book that one kind soul solved his problem of religion by taking him where?
5. When the White Buffalo Woman was addressing the children of the tribe she told them to "remember this and grow up" and do what?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)