|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Richard's grandfather taught him to stay away from what?
(b) The Nazis.
2. Lame Deer states that all the Sioux sweat lodges faced what direction?
3. How many paths led into the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
4. What was the color of the buckskin that Rabbit boy wore?
5. What shoots out from the wakinyan's eyes?
6. In the story of Rabbit Boy, there is a boy who states that he has power over Rabbit Boy and that he is going to throw what over him?
(a) A net.
(b) A hoop.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A rope.
7. What was an owanka wakan?
(a) A sacred earth altar.
(b) A sacred hollow tree.
(c) A sacred water bridge.
(d) A sacred pipe cover.
8. Who did Richard Erdoes claim was responsible for he and his pals attending "blood operas"?
(a) His aunt.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Karl May.
(d) His mother.
9. The substitute dancers that helped the heyokas put grass in what two places?
(a) Their hair and shoes.
(b) Their belts and hair.
(c) Their shoes and ears.
(d) Their belts and shoes.
10. In the story of Rabbit Boy, what came down to make the pieces of Rabbit Boy disappear?
(b) A cloud.
(c) A giant thunderbird.
11. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) A dollar.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
12. What animal guarded the west entrance to the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
(a) A deer.
(b) A bear.
(c) A buffalo.
(d) A wolf.
13. At the beginning of Blood Turned Into Stone, Lame Deer talks about the people who inhabited this land a long time ago trying to save themselves from an immense flood by going where?
(a) To a hidden cave in the mountains.
(b) To their boats by the river.
(c) To an alter to pray.
(d) To the top of a high hill.
14. Where does Lame Deer state that too many of the Sioux Indian things wind up?
(a) Lost to those who don't believe.
(b) In the trash.
(c) In museums.
(d) Lost in nature.
15. What did Richard keep doing all the way back to their campsite after his first experience with the American West?
(d) Snapping his gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer mentions that sometimes the tonwan or thunderbolt hits something. What does he describe it hitting?
2. What was the name of Richard Erdoes' wife?
3. In the tale about Rabbit Boy, when the rabbit came across a pool of blood, what did he do?
4. When Lame Deer received the chance to hold the Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa, what colors of flannel was it wrapped in?
5. The White Buffalo Woman wore a dress made of what?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)