|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Lakota word, wakinyan mean?
2. When Richard had some of his Indian friends visit him in New York, what left the Indians speechless?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The hustle and bustle of New Yorkers.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The skyscrapers.
3. How many paths led into the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
4. What was the name of Richard Erdoes' wife?
5. What did the name of the Itazipcho tribe mean?
(a) With Spirit.
(b) Without Guns.
(c) With Honor.
(d) Without Bows.
6. What did Richard keep doing all the way back to their campsite after his first experience with the American West?
(b) Snapping his gum.
7. Lame Deer tells of a convention that he went to and brought his pipe, which everyone smoked. How long had Lame Deer had this particular pipe?
(a) More than thirty five years.
(b) More than thirty years.
(c) More than forty years.
(d) More than fifty years.
8. In what year did Richard Erdoes finish High School?
9. What did the the heyoka do when he ran up on the bucket of boiling water?
(a) Threw the water into the air.
(b) Spilled the water into a cold river.
(c) Plunged his bare arm into the water.
(d) Poured the water over his head.
10. Richard Erdoes' father died how many weeks before he was born?
11. Why did Richard's aunt from Austria claim all her fleas liked him better?
(a) Because they knew she didn't like them.
(b) Because he had sweeter blood.
(c) Because she was a religious woman.
(d) Because he was a young boy.
12. In the tale about Rabbit Boy, when the rabbit came across a pool of blood, what did he do?
(a) He scooped it up in a cup to keep.
(b) He hopped over it and didn't look back.
(c) He spread it out into a larger pool.
(d) He gave it the shape of a human being.
13. Richard's grandfather taught him to stay away from what?
(b) The Nazis.
14. What is the name of the the spider-man in Sioux legend?
15. What was the name of Winnetou's sidekick?
(a) Old Shatterhand.
(b) Old cowboy guns.
(c) Old Horse boy.
(d) Old Pacekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
2. In the Indian culture, Lame Deer states that clowns had more power than what?
3. Lame Deer described the prayer he usually said when he was crying for a vision. He asked the Great Spirit to pity him so that what may occur?
4. When Lame Deer talks about a clown going to the store, the clown discovers a can that has a picture of what on it?
5. In what year was Richard sent to do a story on an old mining railroad?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)