|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer described the prayer he usually said when he was crying for a vision. He asked the Great Spirit to pity him so that what may occur?
(a) His people may live.
(b) The land might grow.
(c) He might receive his vision.
(d) The white people will learn.
2. How many paths led into the mountain where the wakinyan lived?
3. What is the oldest dance along with the sun dance in the Sioux culture?
(a) The "Into the Sky" dance.
(b) The "Sing to the Rain" dance.
(c) The "Water Comes" dance.
(d) The "Around the Bucket" dance.
4. When the White Buffalo walked away from the tribe, what was she doing?
5. What was an owanka wakan?
(a) A sacred earth altar.
(b) A sacred hollow tree.
(c) A sacred water bridge.
(d) A sacred pipe cover.
6. If a person would swear by the sacred pipe then they could not do what?
(b) Go back on their word.
(d) Tell the truth.
7. What was the great wakinyan of the west clothed in?
8. When Richard was driving through the plains on his first encounter with the American West, what were the houses surrounded by?
(a) Wheat fields.
(b) Barron land.
(c) Cattle fields.
(d) Corn fields.
9. Lame describes a time when a friend of his went to the rock quarry to pick out stone. The park ranger said he could take out a pound for how much?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) A dollar.
(c) Ten dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
10. What was the name of Richard Erdoes' wife?
11. What saved a young beautiful woman from the immense flood?
(a) An eagle.
(b) A thunderbird.
(c) A buffalo.
(d) The Great Spirit.
12. When Lame Deer received the chance to hold the Ptehincala Huhu Canunpa, what colors of flannel was it wrapped in?
(a) Red and green.
(b) Blue and red.
(c) Yellow and blue.
(d) Yellow and green.
13. Lame Deer states in Blood Turned Into Stone that all Indian wisdom could be known through what?
(a) The White Buffalo Woman.
(b) The Great Spirit.
(c) The pipe.
(d) The smoke.
14. What was something that was very sacred, especially to Indians, that the clowns could give the Sioux people?
15. When the White Buffalo Woman was addressing the children of the tribe she told them to "remember this and grow up" and do what?
(a) "Live a good and strong life."
(b) "Love the land."
(c) "Be better than the past."
(d) "Teach your children."
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story of Rabbit Boy, there is a boy who states that he has power over Rabbit Boy and that he is going to throw what over him?
2. Richard Erdoes' father died how many weeks before he was born?
3. Richard's Catholic aunt in Austria went to early Mass each morning at what time?
4. In what year was Richard sent to do a story on an old mining railroad?
5. In order for a person to have listened to the story of Much-Blood-Man a person ought to have fasted for how many days?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)