|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
(b) His grandfather's vision.
(c) His own vision.
(d) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
2. At the Custer battle, who had green paper in their pockets?
(a) The white soldiers.
(b) The Indian warriors.
(c) The white generals.
(d) The Indian chiefs.
3. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(a) Boundry lines.
(b) White cattle ranchers.
(c) Gates and locks.
4. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Twelve thousand dollars.
(d) Five thousand dollars.
5. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
(a) They would make up a song.
(b) They would send pieces of their hair with the young man.
(c) They would pass around the peace pipe.
(d) They would carve their name into the young man's belt.
6. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
7. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
8. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's face.
(b) It's stomach.
(c) It's ears.
(d) It's tail.
9. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(c) New life.
(d) Living breath.
10. How many days did the ghost dance last?
11. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to shoot the rope in two.
(b) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(c) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(d) He had to kill the badger.
12. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
13. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
(d) Red Rock.
14. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Wild Horse.
(b) Crazy Bull.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
15. What does Lame Deer say is the name of a man who "uses the power of the rawhide and the stones to find and to cure"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
2. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
3. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
4. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
5. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)