|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
2. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
3. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
(a) They would carve their name into the young man's belt.
(b) They would send pieces of their hair with the young man.
(c) They would make up a song.
(d) They would pass around the peace pipe.
4. What does the word heyoka mean?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
(c) Dog meat.
6. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(a) White cattle ranchers.
(b) Gates and locks.
(d) Boundry lines.
7. What does Lame Deer say is the name of a man who "uses the power of the rawhide and the stones to find and to cure"?
8. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
(b) Witch doctor.
(c) Holy man.
(d) Medicine man.
9. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Old wood from a sacred tree.
(c) Dead animals.
10. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
11. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to shoot the rope in two.
(b) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(c) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(d) He had to kill the badger.
12. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
(a) They needed to be covered with blankets.
(b) They needed to be purified.
(c) They needed to be painted.
(d) The needed to be opened.
13. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
14. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) A woman to cry about.
(b) The instruction book.
(c) A flask.
(d) Green frog skin.
15. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
Short Answer Questions
1. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
2. How many days did the ghost dance last?
3. In the process of building a sweat house, how many white willow trees needed to be cut?
4. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
5. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)