|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
(a) Human hair.
(c) Horse hair.
2. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(b) He had to kill the badger.
(c) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(d) He had to shoot the rope in two.
3. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The bull.
(b) The buffalo.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The horse.
4. Lame Deer told a reporter that he would like to plant a staff on the very top of Mount Rushmore to make it a sacred mountain again. What colors would be on the staff?
(a) Black and green.
(b) Yellow and green.
(c) Black and red.
(d) Red and yellow.
5. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
(a) Buffalo skin.
(b) Eagle feathers.
(c) A star blanket.
(d) Horse hair.
6. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) Green frog skin.
(b) A woman to cry about.
(c) A flask.
(d) The instruction book.
7. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
(b) Sign painting.
(c) Rodeo clown.
(d) Fence builder.
8. What was the reason that Indians drank according to Lame Deer?
(a) To be more like the white man.
(b) To forget.
(c) To hold on.
(d) To remember.
9. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
10. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
11. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
(c) Dog meat.
12. In the first part of the book, Lame Deer describes a white soldier bellied down in a gully watching the women using his green frog skin to fire up what?
(a) The bonfire for a dance.
(b) The latern for the tipi.
(c) Buffalo chips.
(d) Fire wood.
13. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Four or five.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Five or six.
14. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
15. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
(a) Las Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
2. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
3. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
5. What animal was most likely to appear in a vision that a medicine man had?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)