|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
2. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Morning Sun.
(b) Rod Iron.
(c) Iron Star.
(d) Screaming Eagle.
3. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
(a) A buffalo skull.
(b) A peace pipe.
(c) A big blanket.
(d) A bowl of stew.
4. How many days did the ghost dance last?
5. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) Buffalo's blood.
(b) Blessed water.
(c) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(d) Vermillion paint.
6. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
(a) Of a young man growing into manhood.
(b) Of a warrior ready to kill for the first time.
(c) Of a old medicine man passing on his power to a younger medicine man.
(d) Of a man and a woman growing together in love.
7. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
(a) Eagle feathers.
(b) Horse hair.
(c) A star blanket.
(d) Buffalo skin.
8. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
(b) His grandfather's vision.
(c) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
(d) His own vision.
9. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Old wood from a sacred tree.
(c) Dead animals.
10. Lame Deer talks about a famous chief that was named Man-Afraid-of-His-what?
11. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
12. At the Custer battle, who had green paper in their pockets?
(a) The Indian warriors.
(b) The white generals.
(c) The Indian chiefs.
(d) The white soldiers.
13. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
(b) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
(c) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
(d) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
14. What did Lame Deer know he needed to do after he saw his grandfather with blood dripping from his chest?
(a) He needed to be a medicine man.
(b) He needed to seek revenge on the white man.
(c) He needed to tell his family about the horrible truths of the white man.
(d) He needed to take his grandfather's name.
15. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The bull.
(b) The horse.
(c) The buffalo.
(d) The wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horses did Lame Deer's father have?
2. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
3. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
4. What does Lame Deer say is on the money, but is being killed by the money?
5. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)