|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) Buffalo's blood.
(b) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(c) Vermillion paint.
(d) Blessed water.
2. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(a) Buffalo hides.
3. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
4. What church was Lame Deer a member of for five years?
(a) The Native American Church.
(b) Eastern Community Church.
(c) First Indian American Church.
(d) The Church of the American Indian.
5. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
(a) A milk truck.
(b) A old mare.
(c) A garbage truck.
(d) A bike.
6. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
7. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
8. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
9. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) The instruction book.
(b) A woman to cry about.
(c) Green frog skin.
(d) A flask.
10. In Chapter 8, Lame Deer talks about a young Navajo boy and girl in their apartment in their city. What color of blanket did he put over this young couple?
11. How many days did the ghost dance last?
12. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's tail.
(b) It's face.
(c) It's stomach.
(d) It's ears.
13. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
(c) Las Angeles.
(d) San Diego.
14. What does the word inipi mean?
(a) Wood bow.
(b) Peace pipe.
(c) Dog stew.
(d) Sweat bath.
15. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Twelve thousand dollars.
(d) Five thousand dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
2. What was the reason that Indians drank according to Lame Deer?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
4. What animal was most likely to appear in a vision that a medicine man had?
5. What does the word inyan mean?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)