|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
2. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
3. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) You are doomed to darkness.
(b) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
(c) It will bring good luck.
(d) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
4. What does Lame Deer say is the name of a man who "uses the power of the rawhide and the stones to find and to cure"?
5. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
(a) A peace pipe.
(b) A bowl of stew.
(c) A buffalo skull.
(d) A big blanket.
6. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
7. How many days did the ghost dance last?
8. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(c) Buffalo hides.
9. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
(a) Good-looking girls.
(b) Frightened dogs.
(c) Powerful warriors.
(d) Monstrous buffaloes.
10. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
11. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Crazy Bull.
(c) Wild Horse.
(d) Sitting Bull.
12. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
(a) Human hair.
(b) Horse hair.
13. In the first part of the book, Lame Deer describes a white soldier bellied down in a gully watching the women using his green frog skin to fire up what?
(a) Fire wood.
(b) Buffalo chips.
(c) The latern for the tipi.
(d) The bonfire for a dance.
14. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
15. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The fire.
(b) The drums.
(c) The pipe smoke.
(d) The Great Spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
2. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
3. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
4. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
5. Lame Deer told a reporter that he would like to plant a staff on the very top of Mount Rushmore to make it a sacred mountain again. What colors would be on the staff?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)