|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(b) He had to kill the badger.
(c) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
(d) He had to shoot the rope in two.
2. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
(a) A milk truck.
(b) A garbage truck.
(c) A old mare.
(d) A bike.
3. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The sun dance.
(b) The yuwipi ceremony.
(c) The inipi ceremony.
(d) The steam bath.
4. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(a) Dead animals.
(b) Old wood from a sacred tree.
5. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
(a) A peace pipe.
(b) A big blanket.
(c) A bowl of stew.
(d) A buffalo skull.
6. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
(a) Eagle feathers.
(b) A star blanket.
(c) Buffalo skin.
(d) Horse hair.
7. What does Lame Deer say is the name of a man who "uses the power of the rawhide and the stones to find and to cure"?
8. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
9. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
(a) In an abandoned warehouse.
(b) The old fairgrounds.
(c) An open field behind their reservation.
(d) A front porch of one member of the tribe.
10. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
11. In the tale about the Stone Boy, what does the young girl swallow?
(a) A horse.
(b) A stone.
(c) A boy.
(d) An arrow.
12. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A cat.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A bear.
13. In the process of building a sweat house, how many white willow trees needed to be cut?
14. What did Lame Deer know he needed to do after he saw his grandfather with blood dripping from his chest?
(a) He needed to take his grandfather's name.
(b) He needed to seek revenge on the white man.
(c) He needed to tell his family about the horrible truths of the white man.
(d) He needed to be a medicine man.
15. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A night hawk.
(b) A crow.
(c) An owl.
(d) A golden eagle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer talks about a famous chief that was named Man-Afraid-of-His-what?
2. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
3. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
5. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)