|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The buffalo.
(b) The horse.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The bull.
2. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(c) Old wood from a sacred tree.
(d) Dead animals.
3. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
(a) Mount Rushmore.
(b) The tallest buildings in New York.
(c) The pyramids of Egypt.
(d) The white man.
4. What church was Lame Deer a member of for five years?
(a) The Native American Church.
(b) Eastern Community Church.
(c) First Indian American Church.
(d) The Church of the American Indian.
5. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
6. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
7. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
(a) Eagle feathers.
(b) Horse hair.
(c) A star blanket.
(d) Buffalo skin.
8. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
(a) His freedom.
(b) His picture.
(c) His bow and arrow.
(d) His pipe.
9. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
10. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
11. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(b) Vermillion paint.
(c) Blessed water.
(d) Buffalo's blood.
12. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
(a) They would send pieces of their hair with the young man.
(b) They would pass around the peace pipe.
(c) They would make up a song.
(d) They would carve their name into the young man's belt.
13. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
(b) His grandfather's vision.
(c) His own vision.
(d) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
14. Lame Deer states that many white men think that the sun dance is an initiation of what?
(a) Of a old medicine man passing on his power to a younger medicine man.
(b) Of a warrior ready to kill for the first time.
(c) Of a young man growing into manhood.
(d) Of a man and a woman growing together in love.
15. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(b) Buffalo hides.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
2. What animal was most likely to appear in a vision that a medicine man had?
3. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
4. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
5. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)