|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
(a) Buffalo skin.
(b) Horse hair.
(c) A star blanket.
(d) Eagle feathers.
2. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
3. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
4. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
5. How many days did the ghost dance last?
6. When Lame Deer talks about the four square miles along the Rapid River that his great-grandfather and his tribe had taken away from them, he talks about the government missing out on a life-sized dinosaur made out of green what?
(d) Paper Mache.
7. What does Lame Deer say is on the money, but is being killed by the money?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) The soldiers.
(c) The bald eagle.
(d) The open land.
8. How many horses did Lame Deer's father have?
(a) Over two hundred and fifty.
(b) Over three hundred and fifty.
(c) Over two hundred.
(d) Over three hundred.
9. What does the word inyan mean?
(a) The rocks.
(b) The coyotes.
(c) The horses.
(d) The houses.
10. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) The instruction book.
(b) A flask.
(c) A woman to cry about.
(d) Green frog skin.
11. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) Green frog skin.
(b) Buffalo skins.
(d) The peace pipe.
12. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
(a) A buffalo skull.
(b) A bowl of stew.
(c) A big blanket.
(d) A peace pipe.
13. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
(b) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
(c) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(d) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
14. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
15. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The steam bath.
(b) The sun dance.
(c) The inipi ceremony.
(d) The yuwipi ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
2. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
3. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
4. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
5. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)