|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
(a) Rodeo clown.
(b) Sign painting.
(d) Fence builder.
2. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
3. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A golden eagle.
(b) A crow.
(c) An owl.
(d) A night hawk.
4. In the process of building a sweat house, how many white willow trees needed to be cut?
5. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
(a) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(b) Twelve thousand dollars.
(c) Five thousand dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
6. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
7. What was the name of Lame Deer's other grandfather besides Crazy Heart?
(a) Flying By.
(b) Planter of Water.
(c) Did Not Butcher.
(d) Good Fox.
8. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Four or five.
(b) Five or six.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Eight or nine.
9. Lame Deer tells a story about his uncle and how his horse's rope was pulled into a badger's hole. What did his uncle have to do with the rope?
(a) He had to kill the badger.
(b) He had to shoot the rope in two.
(c) He and his horse had to pull on the rope together.
(d) He had to use his knife to cut the rope.
10. When Lame Deer talks about the four square miles along the Rapid River that his great-grandfather and his tribe had taken away from them, he talks about the government missing out on a life-sized dinosaur made out of green what?
(d) Paper Mache.
11. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
12. Lame Deer states that their tribe's oldest lady had a face like what?
(a) The Badlands.
(b) The rock covered mountains.
(c) The wrinkled sheet.
(d) Rippled water.
13. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
14. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
(a) Frightened dogs.
(b) Good-looking girls.
(c) Monstrous buffaloes.
(d) Powerful warriors.
15. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
3. In the tale about the Stone Boy, what does the young girl swallow?
4. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
5. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)