|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many guns are there in the Museum of the American Indian in New York City that once belonged to famous Indian chiefs?
(a) Five or six.
(b) Four or five.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Eight or nine.
2. Lame Deer talks about an old white man that invited him and his friend into his cellar to drink and play cards. Lame Deer said that this bootlegger was so drunk he couldn't do what?
(a) Walk a zig-zagged line.
(b) Find his nose with both hands.
(c) Breath any fresh air.
(d) Stand up to go to the bathroom.
3. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
(a) They needed to be painted.
(b) The needed to be opened.
(c) They needed to be purified.
(d) They needed to be covered with blankets.
4. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(a) Old wood from a sacred tree.
(b) Dead animals.
5. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
6. What does the word heyoka mean?
7. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The steam bath.
(b) The inipi ceremony.
(c) The sun dance.
(d) The yuwipi ceremony.
8. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Morning Sun.
(b) Rod Iron.
(c) Screaming Eagle.
(d) Iron Star.
9. How many squares of flesh did Lame Deer's grandmother cut from her arm for him to have in the vision pit?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
(b) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(c) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
(d) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
11. How many puffs did the Sioux take on the peace pipe?
12. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) It will bring good luck.
(b) You are doomed to darkness.
(c) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(d) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
13. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(b) White cattle ranchers.
(c) Boundry lines.
(d) Gates and locks.
14. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
15. In the tale of the Stone Boy, when Stone Boy goes out to find his uncles he starts out in the morning and in the evening he smells what?
(a) Buffalo breath.
(b) Sweet rose petals.
(c) Crisp running water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
2. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
3. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
4. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
5. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)