|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the tale about the Stone Boy, what does the young girl swallow?
(a) An arrow.
(b) A stone.
(c) A horse.
(d) A boy.
2. Lame Deer states that their tribe's oldest lady had a face like what?
(a) The rock covered mountains.
(b) Rippled water.
(c) The wrinkled sheet.
(d) The Badlands.
3. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Wild Horse.
(b) Crazy Bull.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
4. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
5. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
(a) They needed to be painted.
(b) The needed to be opened.
(c) They needed to be purified.
(d) They needed to be covered with blankets.
6. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) You are doomed to darkness.
(b) It will bring good luck.
(c) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(d) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
7. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's stomach.
(b) It's tail.
(c) It's face.
(d) It's ears.
8. Lame Deer talks about a famous chief that was named Man-Afraid-of-His-what?
9. What does the word heyoka mean?
10. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Dead animals.
(c) Old wood from a sacred tree.
11. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(a) Buffalo hides.
12. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
(a) Horses' tracks.
(b) Puffs of smoke off the pipe.
(c) Open doors.
(d) Tipi houses.
13. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
14. How many puffs did the Sioux take on the peace pipe?
15. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
2. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
3. How many times was the door to the sweat house opened during the inipi ceremony?
4. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
5. Richard Erdoes tells Lame Deer that good art cannot be made with what?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)