|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
2. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
3. In the tale of the Stone Boy, when Stone Boy goes out to find his uncles he starts out in the morning and in the evening he smells what?
(a) Buffalo breath.
(c) Crisp running water.
(d) Sweet rose petals.
4. Lame Deer talks about the white man being afraid of natural odors and declares that soon the white man will breed people without what?
(b) Body openings.
5. In the tale about the Stone Boy, what does the young girl swallow?
(a) A horse.
(b) A boy.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A stone.
6. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Screaming Eagle.
(b) Rod Iron.
(c) Iron Star.
(d) Morning Sun.
7. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
8. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A star.
(c) A thunderbird.
(d) A circle.
9. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Old wood from a sacred tree.
(d) Dead animals.
10. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
(a) The tallest buildings in New York.
(b) Mount Rushmore.
(c) The white man.
(d) The pyramids of Egypt.
11. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
(a) Indian babies.
12. Where does Lame Deer say the white man goes to to escape bad weather?
(b) Las Angeles.
(c) San Diego.
13. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
(a) Medicine man.
(b) Witch doctor.
(d) Holy man.
14. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
(a) They would make up a song.
(b) They would pass around the peace pipe.
(c) They would send pieces of their hair with the young man.
(d) They would carve their name into the young man's belt.
15. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A crow.
(b) A golden eagle.
(c) An owl.
(d) A night hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
2. What state did the Sioux church members have to get their peyote from?
3. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
4. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
5. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)