|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) The peace pipe.
(b) Green frog skin.
(c) Buffalo skins.
2. What is the word that the Sioux Indians use for the soul, spirit, or essence?
3. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
(a) Knotted brances.
(b) Buffalo skin.
(c) Hair ropes.
(d) Eagle feathers.
4. What was the name of Lame Deer's other grandfather besides Crazy Heart?
(a) Did Not Butcher.
(b) Planter of Water.
(c) Flying By.
(d) Good Fox.
5. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
(a) Holy man.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Witch doctor.
6. What was the reason that Indians drank according to Lame Deer?
(a) To be more like the white man.
(b) To forget.
(c) To hold on.
(d) To remember.
7. Lame Deer stated that the only place his tribe could hold their sun dance was where?
(a) A front porch of one member of the tribe.
(b) In an abandoned warehouse.
(c) The old fairgrounds.
(d) An open field behind their reservation.
8. What does the word inipi mean?
(a) Dog stew.
(b) Peace pipe.
(c) Wood bow.
(d) Sweat bath.
9. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Iron Star.
(b) Screaming Eagle.
(c) Rod Iron.
(d) Morning Sun.
10. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's face.
(b) It's tail.
(c) It's ears.
(d) It's stomach.
11. What did Lame Deer mention was a problem for Indians and that it wouldn't get better?
12. As a start to a yuwipi meeting what needed to be done with all the windows and doors?
(a) They needed to be painted.
(b) They needed to be covered with blankets.
(c) The needed to be opened.
(d) They needed to be purified.
13. In the first part of the book, Lame Deer describes a white soldier bellied down in a gully watching the women using his green frog skin to fire up what?
(a) The latern for the tipi.
(b) Fire wood.
(c) Buffalo chips.
(d) The bonfire for a dance.
14. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(c) Dead animals.
(d) Old wood from a sacred tree.
15. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
(b) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
(c) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
(d) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rocks that were used for curing were wrapped carefully in a piece of what?
2. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
3. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
4. How many puffs did the Sioux take on the peace pipe?
5. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)