|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
(a) The instruction book.
(b) A woman to cry about.
(c) Green frog skin.
(d) A flask.
2. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
(a) Mount Rushmore.
(b) The pyramids of Egypt.
(c) The white man.
(d) The tallest buildings in New York.
3. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
(b) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
(c) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
(d) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
4. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) It will bring good luck.
(b) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(c) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
(d) You are doomed to darkness.
5. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
6. What does the steam represent that is coming out of the pot mentioned in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(b) New life.
(c) Living breath.
7. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A night hawk.
(b) A golden eagle.
(c) An owl.
(d) A crow.
8. What Sioux word means to bind or tie up?
9. Which tribe did the ghost dance start in?
10. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Sitting Bull.
(b) Crazy Horse.
(c) Wild Horse.
(d) Crazy Bull.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer mentions that one of his tribe's troubles is that they can't do what?
12. What was the name of the old medicine man that brought Lame Deer to the vision pit on the hilltop?
(d) Red Rock.
13. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Iron Star.
(b) Rod Iron.
(c) Screaming Eagle.
(d) Morning Sun.
14. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) A bear.
(d) A cat.
15. What does the word inyan mean?
(a) The houses.
(b) The coyotes.
(c) The horses.
(d) The rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
2. How much did the Indian who had lost a leg in an industrial accident receive in insurance money?
3. How many puffs did the Sioux take on the peace pipe?
4. What does the word inipi mean?
5. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)