|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ziolkowski say he wanted to do for the Indians?
(a) He said he wanted to put up a giant statue of Crazy Horse.
(b) He said he wanted to paint Mount Rushmore in horrible colors.
(c) He said he wanted to stop work on Mount Rushmore.
(d) He said that he wanted to dedicate his work to Lame Deer.
2. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bear.
(d) A buffalo.
3. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
(b) Boundry lines.
(c) White cattle ranchers.
(d) Gates and locks.
4. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) Buffalo skins.
(b) Green frog skin.
(d) The peace pipe.
5. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Dead animals.
(c) Old wood from a sacred tree.
6. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
(b) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
(c) His grandfather's vision.
(d) His own vision.
7. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
8. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
(b) Human hair.
(c) Horse hair.
9. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
(a) Buffalo skin.
(b) Knotted brances.
(c) Eagle feathers.
(d) Hair ropes.
10. What was the word that the Sioux tribe used for the stone god?
11. What does the word inipi mean?
(a) Sweat bath.
(b) Dog stew.
(c) Peace pipe.
(d) Wood bow.
12. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
(a) Good-looking girls.
(b) Monstrous buffaloes.
(c) Frightened dogs.
(d) Powerful warriors.
13. In the first part of the book, Lame Deer describes a white soldier bellied down in a gully watching the women using his green frog skin to fire up what?
(a) Buffalo chips.
(b) Fire wood.
(c) The latern for the tipi.
(d) The bonfire for a dance.
14. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Morning Sun.
(b) Rod Iron.
(c) Screaming Eagle.
(d) Iron Star.
15. If a boy wasn't satisfied with just rubbing noses with a girl, he would ask an elk medicine man to make him what?
(a) A flute.
(b) A horse bridle.
(c) A bow and arrow.
(d) An ax.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
2. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
3. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
4. What does the word inyan mean?
5. When Lame Deer was asked to pick a trade when he was in the reformatory, what did he choose?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)