|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the yuwipi ceremony a man would lie face down and have his fingers laced together with what?
(a) Human hair.
(c) Horse hair.
2. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Wild Horse.
(b) Sitting Bull.
(c) Crazy Bull.
(d) Crazy Horse.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 8, Lame Deer tells a big secret that he just wants to whisper and doesn't dare say aloud. What is this secret?
(a) That the Sioux are extremely bashful.
(b) That the Sioux tribe doesn't exist anymore.
(c) That he has seen a thunderbird up close.
(d) That he once believed himself to be a great Sioux warrior.
4. Lame Deer mentions a special kind of deer called the taha topta sapa which had a black streak across what?
(a) It's stomach.
(b) It's tail.
(c) It's face.
(d) It's ears.
5. In the process of building a sweat house, how many white willow trees needed to be cut?
6. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The buffalo.
(b) The horse.
(c) The wolf.
(d) The bull.
7. One way for young folks to get together was for the girl to stand outside her family's tipi with what?
(a) A peace pipe.
(b) A bowl of stew.
(c) A big blanket.
(d) A buffalo skull.
8. In the tale of the Stone Boy, when Stone Boy goes out to find his uncles he starts out in the morning and in the evening he smells what?
(a) Sweet rose petals.
(b) Crisp running water.
(c) Buffalo breath.
9. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Lame Deer mentions a pot with plenty of what inside?
(b) Dog meat.
10. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
11. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
12. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
13. When the holy man in the story of the ghost dance saw the beautiful land he saw a land that was dotted with what?
(c) Indian babies.
14. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The pipe smoke.
(b) The drums.
(c) The fire.
(d) The Great Spirit.
15. What does the word heyoka mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of the tale about the Stone Boy, a young girl had how many brothers?
2. Lame Deer talks about the white man being afraid of natural odors and declares that soon the white man will breed people without what?
3. What does the Sioux word wincincalas mean?
4. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
5. To protect their daughters from tipi-creepers, what would mothers tie around their daughter's waists?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)