|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To get ready for a yuwipi meeting, what did the floor need to be covered with?
(c) Buffalo hides.
2. At the end of the yuwipi ceremony, dog meat was eaten. If someone ended up with the dog's head, what did that mean?
(a) The dog will watch over you from the clouds.
(b) You are doomed to darkness.
(c) You must pass on your power to your eldest son.
(d) It will bring good luck.
3. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
(a) His freedom.
(b) His bow and arrow.
(c) His pipe.
(d) His picture.
4. When the holy man came back to earth in the story of the ghost dance, he began to teach the people a dance. How many songs did he have?
5. What does the word inyan mean?
(a) The coyotes.
(b) The houses.
(c) The rocks.
(d) The horses.
6. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
7. What was the name of Lame Deer's (the great-grandfather) second chief that was shot by soldiers?
(a) Iron Star.
(b) Morning Sun.
(c) Screaming Eagle.
(d) Rod Iron.
8. What does the word hanhepiwi mean?
9. Which direction did the sweat lodge face?
10. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The inipi ceremony.
(b) The sun dance.
(c) The yuwipi ceremony.
(d) The steam bath.
11. In the process of building a sweat house, how many white willow trees needed to be cut?
12. The beginning of the ghost dance began with a sweat bath and the burning of what?
(b) Dead animals.
(c) Old wood from a sacred tree.
13. What did the rectangles represent that had one line missing that are found on the belt that Lame Deer's grandmother made?
(a) Puffs of smoke off the pipe.
(b) Open doors.
(c) Horses' tracks.
(d) Tipi houses.
14. What animal was most likely to appear in a vision that a medicine man had?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A deer.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A bear.
15. What was the name of Lame Deer's other grandfather besides Crazy Heart?
(a) Did Not Butcher.
(b) Good Fox.
(c) Flying By.
(d) Planter of Water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
2. In Chapter 8, Lame Deer talks about a young Navajo boy and girl in their apartment in their city. What color of blanket did he put over this young couple?
3. What does Lame Deer say is on the money, but is being killed by the money?
4. How many puffs did the Sioux take on the peace pipe?
5. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)