|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lame Deer talks about an old white man that invited him and his friend into his cellar to drink and play cards. Lame Deer said that this bootlegger was so drunk he couldn't do what?
(a) Stand up to go to the bathroom.
(b) Find his nose with both hands.
(c) Breath any fresh air.
(d) Walk a zig-zagged line.
2. In the book, Lame Deer talks about horses in a rodeo and how the riders knew how the horses were going to buck. He says that it's not like riding a horse any more, it's like driving what?
(a) A old mare.
(b) A bike.
(c) A garbage truck.
(d) A milk truck.
3. What did the Indians name "holy dog"?
(a) The horse.
(b) The buffalo.
(c) The bull.
(d) The wolf.
4. In Chapter 7, Pete Catches talks about his sister eating what animal's heart?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 11, Lame Deer describes a yuwipi ceremony. What does Lame Deer state roared in the darkness?
(a) The drums.
(b) The Great Spirit.
(c) The pipe smoke.
(d) The fire.
6. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
(a) Witch doctor.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Holy man.
7. What was the oldest and most solemn ceremony of the Sioux tribe?
(a) The inipi ceremony.
(b) The sun dance.
(c) The steam bath.
(d) The yuwipi ceremony.
8. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) Vermillion paint.
(b) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(c) Buffalo's blood.
(d) Blessed water.
9. Lame Deer talks about a bird in the book that doesn't chirp. What did the white man call this type of bird?
(a) A crow.
(b) A night hawk.
(c) An owl.
(d) A golden eagle.
10. According to Lame Deer, what was the name of the greatest of all the Sioux?
(a) Crazy Horse.
(b) Crazy Bull.
(c) Sitting Bull.
(d) Wild Horse.
11. In the beginning of Chapter 13, Lame Deer states that the first thing the white man usually asks about is what?
(a) Green frog skin.
(b) Buffalo skins.
(d) The peace pipe.
12. What does the word heyoka mean?
13. How old was Lame Deer when his mother died?
14. In the tale of the Stone Boy, how many days was the young girl pregnant before she gave birth to a boy?
(a) Three thousand.
(b) Four hundred.
15. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) His own vision.
(b) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
(c) His grandfather's vision.
(d) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name for men who dressed like women?
2. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
3. What does Lame Deer say the white man forgot to give Indians when they brought them whiskey?
4. What does Lame Deer say the white man has changed it's women into?
5. What does Lame Deer say is the main thing in marriage?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)