|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 10-14: Inipi-Grandfather's Breath; Yuwipi-Little Lights from Nowhere; Looking at the Sun, They Dance; Don't Hurt the Trees; Roll Up the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the tree was cut down to prepare for the sun dance and the lower branches were cut off, what was used to cover the "wounds" on the tree?
(a) Buffalo's blood.
(b) Vermillion paint.
(c) A paste made of herbs and leaves.
(d) Blessed water.
2. Lame Deer talks about one of the Sioux's greatest holy men whose name was Chips. How old was Chips' grandson, Godfrey, when the power was passed on to him?
3. Lame Deer states that most the time a person became a medicine man through what?
(a) The vision of the oldest medicine man in the tribe.
(b) His grandfather's vision.
(c) His own vision.
(d) The joint vision of the medicine men of the tribe.
4. Korczak Ziolkowski told Lame Deer and Richard Erdoes that his Crazy Horse monument would dwarf what?
(a) Mount Rushmore.
(b) The tallest buildings in New York.
(c) The pyramids of Egypt.
(d) The white man.
5. What was on the blanket that Lame Deer's grandmother had made especially for the vision pit?
(a) A thunderbird.
(b) A star.
(c) A circle.
(d) A buffalo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the girls often do when the time of parting had come for them and someone they love?
2. What animal does Lame Deer mention in Chapter 7 that is much like an Indian because it's unchangeable?
3. What does the name wicasa wakan mean?
4. In Chapter 12, Lame Deer talks about one thing that made him sad, that the town of Winner was surrounded on all sides by what?
5. Crazy Horse never let a white man take what?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)