|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mary walks home from the store, the narrator states, “Mind you, she wasn’t expecting to find anything. She was just going home with the” what?
2. What is Mary’s last name in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
3. What is the first sound that Mary hears of her husband’s arrival in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. What does Mary take when she runs downstairs after rehearsing in her room?
5. Mary is described as loving the way that Patrick remains silent about his what, in the beginning of the short story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Mary call after “discovering” the body? What happens next in the story?
2. What is ironic about Mary’s answer to Sam regarding “meat” in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
3. How does Patrick Maloney feel about his wife Mary in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
4. How would you characterize Sergeant Noonan’s behavior toward Mary in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
5. In examining “Lamb to Slaughter” from an anthropological view of identity, what do you think Dahl’s statement is about mankind?
6. What actions does Mary plot on her way home from the store? How do these actions play out?
7. How is “climax” defined? Where in “Lamb to the Slaughter” does the climax occur?
8. How does Mary’s character transform after hearing Patrick’s news in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
9. What conversation between Mary and Sergeant Noonan leads to the destruction of the evidence in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
10. How is the character of Patrick Maloney described in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Mary’s response when she “discovers” Patrick’s body after returning from the store. Do you think that Mary’s emotions are legitimate or performed? In what ways does her behavior exhibit the qualities of performance? In what ways does her behavior seem to be legitimately driven by emotion?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Sergeant Jack Noonan in “Lamb to the Slaughter.” How tall is Noonan? How is his behavior characterized? Is Noonan’s character portrayed directly or indirectly in the text? What role does Noonan play in the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of “Lamb to the Slaughter.” Consider how the story relates to its time period in terms of societal, political, cultural, and technological aspects. Do you think the story effectively reflects the time period in which it is set? Why or why not?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)