|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the story means a punishment imposed or incurred for a violation of law?
2. The narrator compares “that warm male glow that came out of him to her when they were alone together” to what in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) A fire
(c) A geyser
(d) The sun
3. “Lamb to the Slaughter” was adapted for an episode of what television show?
(a) Saturday Night Live
(b) Alfred Hitchcock Presents
(c) Unsolved Mysteries
(d) The Twilight Zone
4. How far along is Mary’s pregnancy in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) 8 months
(b) 4 months
(c) 6 months
(d) 2 months
5. Who is the officer who is asked by another in the kitchen, “What do you think?”
(a) Sergeant Noonan
(b) The fingerprint man
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Mary’s eyes described in the story?
2. What is the meat from the freezer wrapped in?
3. What “unusual” thing does Patrick do after he arrives home in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. What does Mary attempt to do when Patrick tells her to “sit down” after he arrives home in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
5. Mary is said to watch Patrick as he relates his statement “with a kind of dazed” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crucial information to the story is omitted? Why do you think the author omitted these details?
2. What actions does Mary plot on her way home from the store? How do these actions play out?
3. How is the character of Patrick Maloney described in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
4. Why do you think the author chooses not to detail Patrick’s story to the reader?
5. What do you think the outcome will be for Mary based on the ending of the story?
6. How is “climax” defined? Where in “Lamb to the Slaughter” does the climax occur?
7. What symbolism surrounds the murder weapon in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
8. What is ironic about Mary’s answer to Sam regarding “meat” in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
9. How would you compare the style of “Lamb to the Slaughter” to other horror short stories?
10. What characteristics define Mary Maloney in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)