|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary’s last name in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
2. Where does Mary set her parcel from the store down when she enters her home?
(a) On the kitchen table
(b) In a chair
(c) In the sink
(d) On the floor
3. Where does Mary exit the home after killing Patrick?
(a) Through the front window
(b) Through the cellar door
(c) Through the back door
(d) Through the front door
4. Mary is said to watch Patrick as he relates his statement “with a kind of dazed” what?
5. What does Mary buy at the store after she’s killed Patrick?
(a) Rice and cheese
(b) Potatoes and peas
(c) A newspaper and a book
(d) Candy and cigarettes
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sergeant Noonan’s first name in the story?
2. By what name is Mary addressed by the store clerk?
3. How is the shape of Patrick’s mouth described in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. Mary calls the police officer’s dear friends of whom in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
5. What is Mary’s presumed reason for killing her husband in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ultimate irony is presented at the end of “Lamb to Slaughter”?
2. After the murder has been committed, what is Mary’s central objective in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
3. Whose point of view does the narrative of “Lamb to Slaughter” revolve around?
4. What appear to be Patrick’s motivations and desires in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
5. How would you characterize Sergeant Noonan’s behavior toward Mary in “Lamb to Slaughter”?
6. What elements of the setting of “Lamb to the Slaughter” indicate the time period for the story?
7. What is foreshadowed by Patrick’s action of downing of his drink in the story?
8. How is Biblical allusion depicted through the title of “Lamb to Slaughter”?
9. At what point in the story is Mary’s sense of identity shattered? What does she do to regain her sense of identity?
10. What actions does Mary plot on her way home from the store? How do these actions play out?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)