|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a prominent literary element in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(c) Literary allusion
(d) Repetitive verse
2. Mary stops to wonder after killing Patrick, “What were the laws about murderers with” what?
(a) Religious convictions
(b) Unborn children
(c) Medical conditions
(d) Ties to their victims
3. What does Mary take from her husband when he first arrives home in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) His shoes
(b) His belt
(c) His coat
(d) His tie
4. What is the first question that Mary asks Patrick after he arrives home?
(a) Tired darling?
(b) How was your day?
(c) Catch any criminals today?
(d) Where shall we go for dinner?
5. Where was “Lamb to the Slaughter” first published?
(a) New York Magazine
(b) Reader’s Digest
(c) Harper’s Magazine
6. What does Mary do with the meat after killing Patrick?
(a) Puts it into the fireplace
(b) Throws it onto the grill
(c) Puts it in the oven
(d) Throws it into the trash
7. Mary tells Patrick that he can eat his dinner where in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) At the restaurant
(b) At the diner
(c) In his chair
(d) In the dining room
8. What happens to the murder weapon in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) It remains hidden in the basement
(b) It gets buried in the yard
(c) The policemen eat it
(d) A dog runs off with it
9. “Lamb to the Slaughter” was written and is presumably set in what era?
(a) The 1920s
(b) The 1950s
(c) The 1940s
(d) The 1930s
10. What word from the story means a punishment imposed or incurred for a violation of law?
11. What does Mary ask Sergeant Noonan to give her as the investigation continues?
(a) A notepad
(b) A police sketch
(c) A gun
(d) A drink
12. What dessert does Mary purchase at the store?
(a) Iced cream
(c) Apple pie
(d) Lemon cake
13. Where does Mary go after leaving Patrick in the living room in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(b) To the cellar
(c) To the bedroom
(d) To the attic
14. Mary tells the police detectives that she was doing what when Patrick arrived home from work?
15. Mary overhears the police detective telling another that the store clerk said Mary’s behavior was what?
(a) Quite normal
(b) Overly giddy
(c) Slightly paranoid
(d) Very strange
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Patrick remain standing before he crashes to the carpet?
2. Patrick tells Mary that he’ll give her what after he’s related his story in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
3. What kind of quality describes Mary’s skin in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. What is the meat from the freezer wrapped in?
5. Mary tells herself on the way home from the store that if she does things correctly “there’ll be no need for any” what at all?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)