|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. “Lamb to the Slaughter” is included in what short story compilation?
(a) Impossible to Solve
(b) Someone Like You
(c) Truth be Told
(d) Tales from Afar
2. Patrick tells Mary after he’s finished his story, “So there it is. And I know it’s kind of” what?
(a) A shock for you
(d) A bad time to be telling you
3. Patrick is described as sitting how in a chair in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. Who gets up at once after the congealed blood is found on Patrick’s head and hurries to the phone?
(a) The fingerprint man
(b) Sergeant Noonan
5. What does Mary ask Sergeant Noonan to give her as the investigation continues?
(a) A police sketch
(b) A gun
(c) A drink
(d) A notepad
6. What is a literary technique used to develop suspense in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(b) Nonlinear plot
(d) Literary allusion
7. How are Mary’s eyes described in the story?
8. Where does Mary exit the home after killing Patrick?
(a) Through the cellar door
(b) Through the front window
(c) Through the front door
(d) Through the back door
9. Where in “Lamb to the Slaughter” does the rising action take place?
(a) When the police arrive at Mary’s door
(b) When Mary goes to the store
(c) When Mary calls the police
(d) When Patrick tells Mary he’s leaving her
10. What does Mary do at the end of the short story?
(a) She vomits
(b) She giggles
(c) She trembles
(d) She cries
11. What kind of air is described about Mary and “everything she did” in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) A methodical air
(b) A quick frantic air
(c) A slow smiling air
(d) A free-spirited air
12. Mary is described as loving the way that Patrick remains silent about his what, in the beginning of the short story?
13. What does Mary take from her husband when he first arrives home in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) His coat
(b) His tie
(c) His belt
(d) His shoes
14. Where does Mary discover her dead husband lying after she returns from the store?
(a) In the bathroom
(b) On the stairs
(c) In the living room
(d) In the bedroom
15. One of the officers in the kitchen says of the murder weapon, “"Personally, I think it's” where?
(a) Out in the yard
(b) In the basement
(c) Right here on the premises
(d) Long gone
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary is told by the policemen that her husband has been killed how?
2. What dessert does Mary purchase at the store?
3. What is Mary’s last name in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. What are the first thoughts that Mary thinks after killing her husband?
5. What does Mary buy at the store after she’s killed Patrick?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)