|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the police detective take when he goes to check Mary’s alibi at the store?
(a) 8 minutes
(b) 35 minutes
(c) 15 minutes
(d) 25 minutes
2. Of the murder weapon, one of the policemen in the kitchen says, "Whoever done it, they're not going to be carrying a thing like that around with them longer than they” what?
(d) Got to
3. One of the officers in the kitchen says “That’s a hell of a big” what that was “used to hit poor Patrick”?
4. To whom does Mary call out when she returns from the store?
5. Mary tells the store clerk that Patrick has caught her without any what?
6. What is described as being “twisted back underneath [Patrick’s] body” when Mary returns home from the store?
(a) Patrick’s arm
(b) Patrick’s foot
(c) Patrick’s leg
(d) Patrick’s neck
7. Where does Mary set her parcel from the store down when she enters her home?
(a) On the floor
(b) On the kitchen table
(c) In the sink
(d) In a chair
8. “Lamb to the Slaughter” illustrates author Roald Dahl’s fascination with what literary genre?
(c) Historical fiction
(d) Science fiction
9. What are the first thoughts that Mary thinks after killing her husband?
(a) Hail to Mary, I’ve done it
(b) I must call the police
(c) All right. So I’ve killed him
(d) Oh dear Lord what have I done
10. What kind of quality describes Mary’s skin in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) A sallow and withered quality
(b) A harsh and gauzy quality
(c) A wonderful translucent quality
(d) An ashen and gray quality
11. As Mary, in the living room, listens to the policemen in the kitchen, their voices are described as being what “because their mouths were full of meat”?
(a) Loud and boisterous
(b) Thick and sloppy
(c) Mumbling and incoherent
(d) Soft and satisfied
12. Which object from “Lamb to the Slaughter” symbolizes “revenge”?
(a) The leg of lamb
(b) The pastry string
(c) The wall clock
(d) The newspaper article
13. How are Mary’s actions described when she kills her husband?
(b) Rage driven
(c) Without any pause
(d) Filled with remorse
14. Mary is told by the policemen that her husband has been killed how?
(a) By a gunshot wound to the stomach
(b) By a blow to the back of the head
(c) By suffocation after being hung
(d) By drowning in the bathtub
15. How is the drink that Mary mixes for herself described in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) Just right
(b) Ice cold
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary rehearse speaking to in her bedroom after killing Patrick?
2. What is Mary’s response when the police officer on the phone asks, “Who’s speaking?”
3. How far along is Mary’s pregnancy in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
4. What does Mary offer to get Patrick, but is turned down, after he arrives home in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
5. The narrator states that Mary “loved to” do what “in the presence of this man” (Patrick) in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)