|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the murder weapon, one of the policemen in the kitchen says that it is probably where?
(a) Long gone
(b) Right under our noses
(c) Somewhere hidden in the garden
(d) In an alleyway somewhere
2. Before Mary commits the crime of murder, she exhibits the qualities of what archetype or stereotype in the story?
(a) The sassy mistress
(b) The obedient housewife
(c) The loyal maid
(d) The loving mother
3. What word used in describing the story’s setting refers to a piece of furniture, as in a dining room, often with shelves or drawers?
4. What is Mary’s presumed reason for killing her husband in “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
(a) Mary kills him because he is an alcoholic
(b) Mary kills him because he won’t attend church
(c) Mary kills him because he is leaving her
(d) Mary kills him because he lost his job
5. According to the narrator, after Patrick tells Mary his story, “Her first instinct was to” do what?
(a) Not believe any of it, to reject it all
(b) Run out the front door
(c) Clean the house
(d) Scream and slap him
6. Mary hides the truth about Patrick’s murder to presumably protect whom?
(a) Her mother
(b) Patrick’s lover
(c) Her secret lover
(d) Her unborn child
7. Mary tells the police detectives that she was doing what when Patrick arrived home from work?
8. How does Mary reenter her home after going to the store?
(a) Through the front door
(b) Through the cellar door
(c) Through the back door
(d) Through the front window
9. Who is working at the store when Mary arrives after killing Patrick?
10. Mary tells the store clerk that Patrick has caught her without any what?
11. Who gets up at once after the congealed blood is found on Patrick’s head and hurries to the phone?
(a) Sergeant Noonan
(b) The fingerprint man
12. The narrator states in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter,” that the time when Mary’s husband arrives home is always what kind of “time of day” for her?
13. Where does Mary sit in the bedroom after killing Patrick?
(a) Before the mirror
(b) On the side of the bed
(c) At the foot of the bed
(d) In front of the window
14. Mary is said to watch Patrick as he relates his statement “with a kind of dazed” what?
15. What is Patrick’s profession in the short story?
(a) He is a truck driver
(b) He is a policeman
(c) He is a taxicab driver
(d) He is a doctor
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary’s response when she sees Patrick’s body after returning from the store?
2. Patrick tells Mary in the story, “I've thought about it a good deal and I've decided the only thing to do is” what?
3. What is the “small favor” that Mary asks of Sergeant Noonan and the other officers?
4. Mary tells the police officers that arrive that she had been where when Patrick was killed?
5. How does Mary greet her husband when he arrives in the beginning of “Lamb to the Slaughter”?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)