|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joshua heals the servant of Justus because he allows _____________ into his kingdom, even though Biff does not agree.
2. The boys find out that Balthesar has eight _________, a fact which amazes Biff.
3. What is John doing to Joshua when the sky opens up and declares that Joshua is God's son?
4. Gaspar teaches Joshua about loving his neighbor as his self, which prompts Joshua to become _________ again.
5. The man that helps Joshua and Biff is from the ___________ caste, which makes him an outcast.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
2. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
3. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
4. What does Biff learn about John when Biff and Joshua are at the wedding at Cana?
5. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
6. What happens when the man at the inn in Antioch gives Joshua a piece of cloth to wipe his face?
7. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
8. What is Biff's mother's reaction to his return home after so many years away with Joshua?
9. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
10. What is the parents' response to the actions of Biff and Joshua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
Essay Topic 2
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of relationships is one the pervades the entire book, giving the reader a chance to see different relationships at work - and how these relationships affect other events in the book.
Part 1: What is the importance of the relationship between Biff and Joshua?
Part 2: What is the importance of the relationship between Joshua and Maggie? Between Biff and Maggie?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between Joshua and a best friend is introduced to the stories of the Bible in this book? What does this relationship provide for the role of Joshua? For the reader?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)