|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While waiting for a boat to cross the lake, Biff recruits ___________ to be a part of the followers of Joshua.
2. Bartholomew prefers the company of __________, who are not allowed at the wedding, which is why he is not invited along.
3. Where is the man from who gave Joshua some help when he was bleeding?
4. From Balthesar's tutors, Biff and Joshua will learn all they can from the __________ masters.
5. _____________ helps to recruit two other fishermen in order to follow Joshua as he begins to preach along the countryside.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Maggie invite Bartholomew to the wedding, though she invites Joshua and Biff?
2. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
3. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
4. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
5. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
6. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
7. Why does Joshua heal the servant of Gaius, even though Biff does not agree with this practice?
8. What is the new television addiction that Raziel has begun after his initial interest in soap operas?
9. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
10. When Biff and Joshua are traveling on a road flanked by fields of very tall grass, what is the warning they receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
Essay Topic 2
In order to become the Messiah, Joshua has to learn from numerous teachers. His journey is a long one and one that makes him more well-rounded and more in control of his emotions.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore had Joshua obtain knowledge from the three different wise men?
Part 2: Which of the three wise men provided Joshua with the most important lesson? Why did you choose that wise man?
Part 3: Could Joshua have learned these lessons on his own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of a miracle is a clouded one in this story. Though most of the time people believe all miracles are great and produce positive results, this isn't always the case.
Part 1: Do you personally think miracles are always good things? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the book made sure to show that not all miracles produce positive results?
Part 3: How did you feel when the miracle Joshua performed ended up angering the parents? How do you think the parents should have felt?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)