|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gaspar receives the boys at the monastery and gives them __________ for names, orders a monk to feed them, and tells them their lessons will begin in the morning.
2. Where is the wedding that Maggie quickly invites Biff and Joshua to before her husband gets home?
3. Who is the rather naive person that Philip calls over to be a part of Joshua's followers?
4. The parents are angry with Biff and Joshua as the death of their children might have meant being born into ____________.
5. What does the tutor teach to Biff as he is paralyzed, until she is certain he understands the subject?
Short Essay Questions
1. What puzzles Biff when they approach the fortress of Balthesar that is built into a side of a cliff?
2. What does Biff do in order to give Joshua a chance to save all the children?
3. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
4. Why doesn't Maggie invite Bartholomew to the wedding, though she invites Joshua and Biff?
5. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
6. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
7. What is the parents' response to the actions of Biff and Joshua?
8. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
9. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
10. What is the new television addiction that Raziel has begun after his initial interest in soap operas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of relationships is one the pervades the entire book, giving the reader a chance to see different relationships at work - and how these relationships affect other events in the book.
Part 1: What is the importance of the relationship between Biff and Joshua?
Part 2: What is the importance of the relationship between Joshua and Maggie? Between Biff and Maggie?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between Joshua and a best friend is introduced to the stories of the Bible in this book? What does this relationship provide for the role of Joshua? For the reader?
Essay Topic 2
While at first glance, it can seem like LAMB is a book that's purely meant to be funny, it seems to have a deeper level of meaning than just entertainment.
Part 1: What did you think about the book? Did you enjoy it or not? Support your answer with solid reasoning.
Part 2: Why do you think some people may not like this book? What might be the trouble with a satirical look at the Bible?
Part 3: Do you think the fact that LAMB might cause discussions (both positive and negative) is the point of the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Christian faith is built upon the content of the Bible, and LAMB seems to add more dimension to the stories Christians already know.
Part 1: How does speculating about the content of the Bible cause a person's faith to be altered?
Part 2: Do you think it's "right" to guess about events which surround the Bible? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a person will feel closer to the people of the Bible after reading LAMB ? Why or why not?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)