|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days do the monks refuse entrance to Biff and Joshua, as this is a test to make sure they are committed?
2. Upon invitation, Joshua and some followers visit __________ at his house in Bethany.
3. Biff's tutor tells him, "Today's lesson is, if someone puts poison in your _______, don't drink it."
4. The boys find out that Balthesar has eight _________, a fact which amazes Biff.
5. Balthesar's fortress is built into _____________, which puzzles Biff when he sees it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
This section contains 1,878 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)