|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the rather naive person that Philip calls over to be a part of Joshua's followers?
2. __________'s mother bawls him out for not writing over the past seventeen years he has been away.
3. Everything looks __________ to the cured blind beggars, which disappoints them after they are healed by Joshua.
4. Gaspar teaches Joshua about loving his neighbor as his self, which prompts Joshua to become _________ again.
5. Whose Buddhist monastery are Biff and Joshua trying to reach in this section of the book?
Essay Topic 1
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
Essay Topic 2
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
Essay Topic 3
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,880 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)