|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the final Magus use in order to show he is capable of turning one thing into something larger?
2. The number of twelve apostles corresponds to the twelve ___________ of Israel.
3. Joshua tells Biff about the _____________ that Melchior is teaching him, while Biff talks about Kashmir.
4. Bartholomew prefers the company of __________, who are not allowed at the wedding, which is why he is not invited along.
5. What does Biff notice missing from the construction of Balthesar's home, which confuses Biff?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of relationships is one the pervades the entire book, giving the reader a chance to see different relationships at work - and how these relationships affect other events in the book.
Part 1: What is the importance of the relationship between Biff and Joshua?
Part 2: What is the importance of the relationship between Joshua and Maggie? Between Biff and Maggie?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between Joshua and a best friend is introduced to the stories of the Bible in this book? What does this relationship provide for the role of Joshua? For the reader?
Essay Topic 2
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
Essay Topic 3
What's most curious to a reader is that Joshua might be the Messiah, but he is not without flaws. He does make mistakes and has to learn lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua blinds the guard? What were his motives?
Part 2: What is the value in showing that Joshua is not without flaws? Would it have been better to show that he was perfect? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Moore kept Joshua slightly human-like in terms of his emotional behaviors?
This section contains 1,882 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)