|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Biff given when his tutor believes he has learned the lesson thoroughly?
2. The boys find out that Balthesar has eight _________, a fact which amazes Biff.
3. How many huge iron bolts are on the door that Balthesar says Biff and Joshua can not enter at any time?
4. Who is the first disciple of Joshua and is picked up on the way out of town the day after the men return?
5. Justus tells Joshua and the others that Jakan has _______________ Maggie and also wants Joshua dead.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
2. What is the story Rumi tells Joshua and Biff about his life and his current situation?
3. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
4. What is Biff's mother's reaction to his return home after so many years away with Joshua?
5. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
6. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
7. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
8. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
9. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
10. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biff is very curious as to how the events in the Bible are portrayed, finally securing a copy of the Bible to see how others have written about his lifetime.
Part 1: Why do you think Biff is so interested in learning more about the way the stories have been told?
Part 2: Why do you think Raziel doesn't want Biff to read any of the Bible's version of events?
Part 3: Do you think Biff needed to see what was already written down about his times? Or would it have been better for him to not have looked at the Bible? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
Essay Topic 3
What's most curious to a reader is that Joshua might be the Messiah, but he is not without flaws. He does make mistakes and has to learn lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua blinds the guard? What were his motives?
Part 2: What is the value in showing that Joshua is not without flaws? Would it have been better to show that he was perfect? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Moore kept Joshua slightly human-like in terms of his emotional behaviors?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)