|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maggie runs into the room with ______________ running out of her mouth.
2. What is Joshua given to help him with his injury after hitting his head?
3. What does John suggest Joshua call the Divine Spark as that might be easier for the people to understand?
4. When Biff reads the Bible in the beginning of chapter 11, he does not recognize this writer as the boy he knew growing up.
5. The parents are angry with Biff and Joshua as the death of their children might have meant being born into ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joshua heal the servant of Gaius, even though Biff does not agree with this practice?
2. What does Biff do in order to give Joshua a chance to save all the children?
3. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
4. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
5. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
6. When the mayor of Magdala begs Joshua and Biff to raise his daughter from the dead, what do the two men see is actually wrong with the daughter?
7. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
8. What happens when the man at the inn in Antioch gives Joshua a piece of cloth to wipe his face?
9. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
10. When Biff and Joshua are traveling on a road flanked by fields of very tall grass, what is the warning they receive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's most curious to a reader is that Joshua might be the Messiah, but he is not without flaws. He does make mistakes and has to learn lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua blinds the guard? What were his motives?
Part 2: What is the value in showing that Joshua is not without flaws? Would it have been better to show that he was perfect? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Moore kept Joshua slightly human-like in terms of his emotional behaviors?
Essay Topic 2
Bart, the town idiot, may seem to be simple to others in the story, but Biff thinks otherwise.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore included the idea of a village idiot in this story?
Part 2: What value do you feel Bart has for the story and for the other characters in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think Biff decides to listen to what Bart tells him about not thinking too much?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)