|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________'s mother bawls him out for not writing over the past seventeen years he has been away.
2. What does Biff learn about when he pays for lessons from Kashmir?
3. Men with spears chase Biff, Joshua, and __________ through the elephant grass until they come upon a tiger and its kill.
4. What does Biff notice missing from the construction of Balthesar's home, which confuses Biff?
5. What is John doing to Joshua when the sky opens up and declares that Joshua is God's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
2. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
3. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
4. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
5. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
6. What puzzles Biff when they approach the fortress of Balthesar that is built into a side of a cliff?
7. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
8. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
9. What is the new television addiction that Raziel has begun after his initial interest in soap operas?
10. What does Biff learn about John when Biff and Joshua are at the wedding at Cana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maggie and Biff have sex, it's clear that it was supposed to be Joshua and not Biff, yet Maggie doesn't seem to mind.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua sent Biff in his place? Did Joshua know what was to happen?
Part 2: Why do you think Maggie went along with Biff in Joshua's place?
Part 3: Why do you think Joshua is not able to have sex with anyone? What does this provide him?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 3
In order to become the Messiah, Joshua has to learn from numerous teachers. His journey is a long one and one that makes him more well-rounded and more in control of his emotions.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore had Joshua obtain knowledge from the three different wise men?
Part 2: Which of the three wise men provided Joshua with the most important lesson? Why did you choose that wise man?
Part 3: Could Joshua have learned these lessons on his own? Why or why not?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)