|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From Balthesar's tutors, Biff and Joshua will learn all they can from the __________ masters.
2. What is Biff given when his tutor believes he has learned the lesson thoroughly?
3. What kind of journey does Gaspar take Biff, Joshua, and others when they go up the mountain?
4. What does the final Magus use in order to show he is capable of turning one thing into something larger?
5. Joshua lets go of all his concepts of _________ and becomes invisible in the process.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
2. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
3. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
4. What does Biff do in order to give Joshua a chance to save all the children?
5. When Biff and Joshua are traveling on a road flanked by fields of very tall grass, what is the warning they receive?
6. What is the story Rumi tells Joshua and Biff about his life and his current situation?
7. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
8. When the mayor of Magdala begs Joshua and Biff to raise his daughter from the dead, what do the two men see is actually wrong with the daughter?
9. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
10. Why doesn't Maggie invite Bartholomew to the wedding, though she invites Joshua and Biff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of relationships is one the pervades the entire book, giving the reader a chance to see different relationships at work - and how these relationships affect other events in the book.
Part 1: What is the importance of the relationship between Biff and Joshua?
Part 2: What is the importance of the relationship between Joshua and Maggie? Between Biff and Maggie?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between Joshua and a best friend is introduced to the stories of the Bible in this book? What does this relationship provide for the role of Joshua? For the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
Essay Topic 3
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)