|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ wants to save the daughter of the man they are with, as well as to save other children who are up for death.
2. Upon invitation, Joshua and some followers visit __________ at his house in Bethany.
3. While waiting for a boat to cross the lake, Biff recruits ___________ to be a part of the followers of Joshua.
4. ___________ tells Joy about the wonderful things he has learned from the Magi.
5. Gaspar teaches Joshua about loving his neighbor as his self, which prompts Joshua to become _________ again.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
2. What is the parents' response to the actions of Biff and Joshua?
3. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
4. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
5. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
6. Why doesn't Maggie invite Bartholomew to the wedding, though she invites Joshua and Biff?
7. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
8. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
9. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
10. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, one could say that Moore might be going too far with the things he is including in this story - i.e. the story of circumcising Apollo.
Part 1: Do you think Moore takes the story too far with some of the slang and crass humor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is there value in pushing the humor of the story a bit too far? Explain your response.
Part 3: At any point were you offended by the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)