|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Biff given when his tutor believes he has learned the lesson thoroughly?
2. Gaspar receives the boys at the monastery and gives them __________ for names, orders a monk to feed them, and tells them their lessons will begin in the morning.
3. In what city do Joshua and Biff visit with Joy, now known as the Cruel and Accursed Dragon Princess?
4. What comes up in the high desert, which drives Joshua and Biff into Antioch?
5. __________'s mother bawls him out for not writing over the past seventeen years he has been away.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Biff do in order to give Joshua a chance to save all the children?
2. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
3. What does Biff learn about John when Biff and Joshua are at the wedding at Cana?
4. What puzzles Biff when they approach the fortress of Balthesar that is built into a side of a cliff?
5. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
6. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
7. When the mayor of Magdala begs Joshua and Biff to raise his daughter from the dead, what do the two men see is actually wrong with the daughter?
8. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
9. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
10. Why does Joshua heal the servant of Gaius, even though Biff does not agree with this practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bart, the town idiot, may seem to be simple to others in the story, but Biff thinks otherwise.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore included the idea of a village idiot in this story?
Part 2: What value do you feel Bart has for the story and for the other characters in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think Biff decides to listen to what Bart tells him about not thinking too much?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)