|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man from who gave Joshua some help when he was bleeding?
2. Biff's tutor tells him, "Today's lesson is, if someone puts poison in your _______, don't drink it."
3. Joshua lets go of all his concepts of _________ and becomes invisible in the process.
4. According to Jewish law, only __________ can forgive sins, which causes Joshua's actions to be seen as dangerous.
5. What is Joshua given to help him with his injury after hitting his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new television addiction that Raziel has begun after his initial interest in soap operas?
2. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
3. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
4. Why does Joshua heal the servant of Gaius, even though Biff does not agree with this practice?
5. What puzzles Biff when they approach the fortress of Balthesar that is built into a side of a cliff?
6. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
7. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
8. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
9. What is the story Rumi tells Joshua and Biff about his life and his current situation?
10. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua has to be tested by the Devil in order to be ready to be the true Messiah, and he passes the test.
Part 1: Why does Joshua have to be tested by the Devil in order to be ready to teach others?
Part 2: What kind of tests do you think Joshua might have had to face when he was with the Devil?
Part 3: Why doesn't Joshua share his experiences with the Devil with Biff when he emerges from the desert?
Essay Topic 2
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)