|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city do Joshua and Biff visit with Joy, now known as the Cruel and Accursed Dragon Princess?
2. __________ asks Maggie to become one of Joshua's followers, but she can not as she is married.
3. Joshua tells Biff about the _____________ that Melchior is teaching him, while Biff talks about Kashmir.
4. Whose gospel does Biff find to be unbelievable and lonely at the end, prompting a nightmare?
5. What does Joshua get hit with repeatedly during his first lesson with Gaspar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Biff give to Maggie when they meet outside the Sanhedrin?
2. When Biff and Joshua are traveling on a road flanked by fields of very tall grass, what is the warning they receive?
3. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
4. What is the parents' response to the actions of Biff and Joshua?
5. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
6. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
7. What do the beggars see after they have been cured of their blindness by Joshua for their kindness?
8. When the mayor of Magdala begs Joshua and Biff to raise his daughter from the dead, what do the two men see is actually wrong with the daughter?
9. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
10. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biff is very curious as to how the events in the Bible are portrayed, finally securing a copy of the Bible to see how others have written about his lifetime.
Part 1: Why do you think Biff is so interested in learning more about the way the stories have been told?
Part 2: Why do you think Raziel doesn't want Biff to read any of the Bible's version of events?
Part 3: Do you think Biff needed to see what was already written down about his times? Or would it have been better for him to not have looked at the Bible? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 3
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)