|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days do the monks refuse entrance to Biff and Joshua, as this is a test to make sure they are committed?
2. The boys find out that Balthesar has eight _________, a fact which amazes Biff.
3. Who does Joshua try to cure of his ailments, though he is not happy when Joshua makes his attempt?
4. Joshua selects from his disciples those who are to become ___________, or carriers of his messages.
5. What does the tutor teach to Biff as he is paralyzed, until she is certain he understands the subject?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joy teach Biff when he is paralyzed by the poison in his tea?
2. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
3. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
4. What happens when Joshua gives sight back to the guard he blinded while in a fit of rage?
5. What is Biff's mother's reaction to his return home after so many years away with Joshua?
6. Why doesn't Maggie invite Bartholomew to the wedding, though she invites Joshua and Biff?
7. Why does Joshua heal the servant of Gaius, even though Biff does not agree with this practice?
8. Why do Biff and Joshua decide to try to travel around the Great Wall of China?
9. What does Biff do in order to give Joshua a chance to save all the children?
10. What are the only things John eats, as found out by Biff and Joshua when they camp with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Maggie and Biff have sex, it's clear that it was supposed to be Joshua and not Biff, yet Maggie doesn't seem to mind.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua sent Biff in his place? Did Joshua know what was to happen?
Part 2: Why do you think Maggie went along with Biff in Joshua's place?
Part 3: Why do you think Joshua is not able to have sex with anyone? What does this provide him?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of a miracle is a clouded one in this story. Though most of the time people believe all miracles are great and produce positive results, this isn't always the case.
Part 1: Do you personally think miracles are always good things? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the book made sure to show that not all miracles produce positive results?
Part 3: How did you feel when the miracle Joshua performed ended up angering the parents? How do you think the parents should have felt?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)