|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biff try to talk Raziel into buying in order to get him out of the hotel room for a bit?
2. Whose uncle is the Zealot who saves the children before they are able to escape by running away?
3. The day after, Joshua is praying in an _______________ seeking answers to many questions.
4. Raziel wonders about the ___________ who foretell the future events in his beloved soap operas.
5. ___________ develops a sense of satire around the stories of the Bible, while ___________ wants to play true to the stories.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
2. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
3. What did Biff and Joshua like to do though other children in the town liked to play the usual games?
4. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
5. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
6. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
7. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
8. What does Biff do in order to try to see Maggie, though this is not a successful idea?
9. What is the honest mistake that Biff makes when he is tipping the room service?
10. What reduces Mary's credibility in her talking about the virgin birth of Joshua, according to Biff's storytelling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The label of being the Messiah is something which John and Joshua both believe to be their own.
Part 1: Why do you think John believes himself to be the Messiah?
Part 2: What is the value of having two characters in the town who may or may not be the Messiah?
Part 3: Why is the label of being the Messiah so important to the men?
Essay Topic 2
What's most curious to a reader is that Joshua might be the Messiah, but he is not without flaws. He does make mistakes and has to learn lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua blinds the guard? What were his motives?
Part 2: What is the value in showing that Joshua is not without flaws? Would it have been better to show that he was perfect? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Moore kept Joshua slightly human-like in terms of his emotional behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
Telling the whole story of Joshua, aka Jesus, is important enough to Raziel that he raises Biff from the dead to write his own gospel.
Part 1: Why do you think Raziel is so invested in getting this story told by Biff?
Part 2: What might happen if Biff were never to write the gospel as Raziel wants him to?
Part 3: How does Raziel know that Biff is telling the truth as he is writing out the gospel?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)