|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not finished, so the statue can not be put into place as of yet?
2. Maggie's mother promises Maggie to marry __________ after six months have passed.
3. What does Jakan's father do for a living, according to his own admission?
4. The day after, Joshua is praying in an _______________ seeking answers to many questions.
5. Biff tries to persuade Joshua to join him in his apprenticeship as __________ is scarce.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the task that is assigned to Raziel by Heaven at the start of this book?
2. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
3. Why is the city of Sepphoris now restricted in terms of who can come in and out of the gates?
4. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
5. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
6. What does Biff do in order to try to see Maggie, though this is not a successful idea?
7. Why are other people in the town afraid that Mary might attract too much attention from the Philistines?
8. What is Joshua's reaction to the statue of Venus they find at the gate of Sepphoris?
9. What does Joshua do for the killed Roman legionnaire in the presence of the crowds in Sepphoris?
10. What does Ancient Biff try to persuade Joshua to do as they are beginning their apprenticeships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biff is very curious as to how the events in the Bible are portrayed, finally securing a copy of the Bible to see how others have written about his lifetime.
Part 1: Why do you think Biff is so interested in learning more about the way the stories have been told?
Part 2: Why do you think Raziel doesn't want Biff to read any of the Bible's version of events?
Part 3: Do you think Biff needed to see what was already written down about his times? Or would it have been better for him to not have looked at the Bible? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bart, the town idiot, may seem to be simple to others in the story, but Biff thinks otherwise.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore included the idea of a village idiot in this story?
Part 2: What value do you feel Bart has for the story and for the other characters in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think Biff decides to listen to what Bart tells him about not thinking too much?
Essay Topic 3
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)