|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Biff tries to persuade Joshua to join him in his apprenticeship as __________ is scarce.
2. Who is thrown overboard when he makes a sarcastic comment to the captain of the boat?
3. Joshua calls the statue at the gate of Sepphoris ___________ and wonders why the Jews have not torn it down.
4. What does Jakan's father do for a living, according to his own admission?
5. Raziel wonders about the ___________ who foretell the future events in his beloved soap operas.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Biff do in order to try to see Maggie, though this is not a successful idea?
2. What did Joshua know how to do as a young child growing up in Nazareth?
3. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
4. What is the task that is assigned to Raziel by Heaven at the start of this book?
5. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
6. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
7. What is Joshua's reaction to the statue of Venus they find at the gate of Sepphoris?
8. What does Joshua purchase when he is on the Silk Road and then becomes addicted to it?
9. Who is being accused of knifing the Roman legionnaire, even though he was not the guilty person?
10. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bart, the town idiot, may seem to be simple to others in the story, but Biff thinks otherwise.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore included the idea of a village idiot in this story?
Part 2: What value do you feel Bart has for the story and for the other characters in the story?
Part 3: Why do you think Biff decides to listen to what Bart tells him about not thinking too much?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)