Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joshua calls the statue at the gate of Sepphoris ___________ and wonders why the Jews have not torn it down.
2. Who does Joshua blind in a fit of rage after raising a thief from the dead once, only to have him be killed again?
3. What is the form of humor Biff tells Joshua he has created and Bart has named?
4. What does Joshua do as everyone is standing around the grave of the deceased Roman?
5. While everyone else fears God and Rom, Joshua fears ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
2. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
3. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
4. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
5. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
6. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
7. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
8. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
9. In Jerusalem, Biff and Joshua come upon John the Baptist. What is John doing when they first see him?
10. What do Biff and Joshua do in order to shorten their trip to Antioch?
Essay Topic 1
The Romans have an interested outlook on religion in this story, allowing for the monotheism of Judaism as long as the Jews pay taxes.
Part 1: Why do you think the Romans thought taxes were more important to have than one single religious movements in the lands?
Part 2: How might conflicting religious thought within a country cause the people who live in that country to act?
Part 3: Do you think it's better to have people do what they want or for the government to dictate what the people should think? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The label of being the Messiah is something which John and Joshua both believe to be their own.
Part 1: Why do you think John believes himself to be the Messiah?
Part 2: What is the value of having two characters in the town who may or may not be the Messiah?
Part 3: Why is the label of being the Messiah so important to the men?
Essay Topic 3
When Maggie and Biff have sex, it's clear that it was supposed to be Joshua and not Biff, yet Maggie doesn't seem to mind.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua sent Biff in his place? Did Joshua know what was to happen?
Part 2: Why do you think Maggie went along with Biff in Joshua's place?
Part 3: Why do you think Joshua is not able to have sex with anyone? What does this provide him?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)