|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie's father do for a living at the beginning of this book and its story?
2. Joshua and Biff hire on a ship to shorten their trip to ______________, though they are charged for the trip and still have to work.
3. ___________ tells the children about the fact that Rome only has two rules everyone must follow.
4. John the Baptist is baptizing one of _______'s younger brothers and is nearly drowning the boy in the process.
5. Who is thought to be a little insane as she talks so much about Joshua's virgin birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Biff want Joshua to do once he hears about what will happen to Maggie?
2. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
3. What does Biff do in order to try to see Maggie, though this is not a successful idea?
4. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
5. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
6. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
7. What reduces Mary's credibility in her talking about the virgin birth of Joshua, according to Biff's storytelling?
8. What does Raziel ponder when he finally obtains a copy of the Soap Opera Digest in the hotel room?
9. Why is the city of Sepphoris now restricted in terms of who can come in and out of the gates?
10. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
Essay Topic 3
Christian faith is built upon the content of the Bible, and LAMB seems to add more dimension to the stories Christians already know.
Part 1: How does speculating about the content of the Bible cause a person's faith to be altered?
Part 2: Do you think it's "right" to guess about events which surround the Bible? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think a person will feel closer to the people of the Bible after reading LAMB ? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)