|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The sale of ___________ helps to finance the room that Raziel and Biff share in the modern times.
2. Joseph asks Biff to help teach Joshua how to be ________ so that he can live a more normal life.
3. How old are the boys when they are ready to start their own apprenticeships?
4. What does Joshua buy on the Silk Road, eventually becoming addicted to it?
5. Biff wants Joshua to ___________ when he hears about the forced marriage of Maggie.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the prank Biff invites Maggie to come along to witness with he and Joshua?
2. What do Biff and Joshua do in order to shorten their trip to Antioch?
3. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
4. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
5. What does Joshua purchase when he is on the Silk Road and then becomes addicted to it?
6. What reduces Mary's credibility in her talking about the virgin birth of Joshua, according to Biff's storytelling?
7. What is Joshua's reaction to the statue of Venus they find at the gate of Sepphoris?
8. What did Joshua know how to do as a young child growing up in Nazareth?
9. What did Biff and Joshua like to do though other children in the town liked to play the usual games?
10. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
Essay Topic 2
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Biff is very curious as to how the events in the Bible are portrayed, finally securing a copy of the Bible to see how others have written about his lifetime.
Part 1: Why do you think Biff is so interested in learning more about the way the stories have been told?
Part 2: Why do you think Raziel doesn't want Biff to read any of the Bible's version of events?
Part 3: Do you think Biff needed to see what was already written down about his times? Or would it have been better for him to not have looked at the Bible? Why?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)