|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary do to Joshua to further hide his identity when his faces shows up on a bread during Passover?
2. What are the color of the robes and the wings of Raziel when he appears to the captain of the ship?
3. Who does Biff invite along on a prank he and Joshua are going to play on a statue of Apollo?
4. Biff wants Joshua to ___________ when he hears about the forced marriage of Maggie.
5. Biff's father talks with the ____________ who has hired him to build the house where the stonecutting takes place.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
2. What did Joshua know how to do as a young child growing up in Nazareth?
3. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
4. What does Ancient Biff try to persuade Joshua to do as they are beginning their apprenticeships?
5. Why are other people in the town afraid that Mary might attract too much attention from the Philistines?
6. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
7. What are the two rules of the Romans, as Gaius reveals to the children when they are at the funeral?
8. What does Joshua purchase when he is on the Silk Road and then becomes addicted to it?
9. What is the prank Biff invites Maggie to come along to witness with he and Joshua?
10. What does Biff claim to have invented, which was then named by Bart, though Joshua does not understand this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, one could say that Moore might be going too far with the things he is including in this story - i.e. the story of circumcising Apollo.
Part 1: Do you think Moore takes the story too far with some of the slang and crass humor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is there value in pushing the humor of the story a bit too far? Explain your response.
Part 3: At any point were you offended by the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of a miracle is a clouded one in this story. Though most of the time people believe all miracles are great and produce positive results, this isn't always the case.
Part 1: Do you personally think miracles are always good things? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the book made sure to show that not all miracles produce positive results?
Part 3: How did you feel when the miracle Joshua performed ended up angering the parents? How do you think the parents should have felt?
Essay Topic 3
The Romans have an interested outlook on religion in this story, allowing for the monotheism of Judaism as long as the Jews pay taxes.
Part 1: Why do you think the Romans thought taxes were more important to have than one single religious movements in the lands?
Part 2: How might conflicting religious thought within a country cause the people who live in that country to act?
Part 3: Do you think it's better to have people do what they want or for the government to dictate what the people should think? Why?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)