Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joshua calls the statue at the gate of Sepphoris ___________ and wonders why the Jews have not torn it down.
2. Who does Joshua blind in a fit of rage after raising a thief from the dead once, only to have him be killed again?
3. What is the form of humor Biff tells Joshua he has created and Bart has named?
4. What does Joshua do as everyone is standing around the grave of the deceased Roman?
5. While everyone else fears God and Rom, Joshua fears ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
2. What happens when Joshua is able to let go of all his concepts of self during his lessons?
3. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
4. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
5. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
6. Why does Herod fear Joshua and want him to be killed as a result of his fears?
7. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
8. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
9. In Jerusalem, Biff and Joshua come upon John the Baptist. What is John doing when they first see him?
10. What do Biff and Joshua do in order to shorten their trip to Antioch?
Essay Topic 1
Telling the whole story of Joshua, aka Jesus, is important enough to Raziel that he raises Biff from the dead to write his own gospel.
Part 1: Why do you think Raziel is so invested in getting this story told by Biff?
Part 2: What might happen if Biff were never to write the gospel as Raziel wants him to?
Part 3: How does Raziel know that Biff is telling the truth as he is writing out the gospel?
Essay Topic 2
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
Essay Topic 3
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)