|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Biff notes that the Bible contains more ____________ English language than the Hebrew he remembers.
2. John the Baptist is baptizing one of _______'s younger brothers and is nearly drowning the boy in the process.
3. What is the Hebrew name for Biff, the main character in this book?
4. Who knifes the Roman to death, just as the Roman is about to come after the child pranksters?
5. _____________ can not experience sex firsthand, so he asks for details to be explained to him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Joshua's attempts to save a thief from death fail after the thief is resurrected once?
2. What do the Pharisees want in return for the release of Joseph and the other accused people in the death of the Roman?
3. What does Biff learn about John when Biff and Joshua are at the wedding at Cana?
4. What happens during the first lesson of Buddhism that Joshua takes?
5. What is Joshua's reaction to the statue of Venus they find at the gate of Sepphoris?
6. What puzzles Biff when they approach the fortress of Balthesar that is built into a side of a cliff?
7. What is the new television addiction that Raziel has begun after his initial interest in soap operas?
8. What are the two rules of the Romans, as Gaius reveals to the children when they are at the funeral?
9. What reduces Mary's credibility in her talking about the virgin birth of Joshua, according to Biff's storytelling?
10. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In order to become the Messiah, Joshua has to learn from numerous teachers. His journey is a long one and one that makes him more well-rounded and more in control of his emotions.
Part 1: Why do you think Moore had Joshua obtain knowledge from the three different wise men?
Part 2: Which of the three wise men provided Joshua with the most important lesson? Why did you choose that wise man?
Part 3: Could Joshua have learned these lessons on his own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What's most curious to a reader is that Joshua might be the Messiah, but he is not without flaws. He does make mistakes and has to learn lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua blinds the guard? What were his motives?
Part 2: What is the value in showing that Joshua is not without flaws? Would it have been better to show that he was perfect? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Moore kept Joshua slightly human-like in terms of his emotional behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)