|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is not finished, so the statue can not be put into place as of yet?
2. How old are the boys when they are ready to start their own apprenticeships?
3. Biff jokes about becoming a professional _______________ and bids Maggie farewell.
4. ____________ sends everyone home with a warning not to pull any more strange pranks without letting him get drunk.
5. Biff tries to explain to Raziel that soap operas are _____________, but the angel does not understand.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
2. What is the prank Biff invites Maggie to come along to witness with he and Joshua?
3. What does Biff do in order to try to see Maggie, though this is not a successful idea?
4. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
5. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
6. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
7. What does Biff claim to have invented, which was then named by Bart, though Joshua does not understand this?
8. What are the two rules of the Romans, as Gaius reveals to the children when they are at the funeral?
9. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
10. What does Biff want Joshua to do once he hears about what will happen to Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of relationships is one the pervades the entire book, giving the reader a chance to see different relationships at work - and how these relationships affect other events in the book.
Part 1: What is the importance of the relationship between Biff and Joshua?
Part 2: What is the importance of the relationship between Joshua and Maggie? Between Biff and Maggie?
Part 3: Why do you think the relationship between Joshua and a best friend is introduced to the stories of the Bible in this book? What does this relationship provide for the role of Joshua? For the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of a miracle is a clouded one in this story. Though most of the time people believe all miracles are great and produce positive results, this isn't always the case.
Part 1: Do you personally think miracles are always good things? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the book made sure to show that not all miracles produce positive results?
Part 3: How did you feel when the miracle Joshua performed ended up angering the parents? How do you think the parents should have felt?
Essay Topic 3
Telling the whole story of Joshua, aka Jesus, is important enough to Raziel that he raises Biff from the dead to write his own gospel.
Part 1: Why do you think Raziel is so invested in getting this story told by Biff?
Part 2: What might happen if Biff were never to write the gospel as Raziel wants him to?
Part 3: How does Raziel know that Biff is telling the truth as he is writing out the gospel?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)