|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joshua notes that the _____________ only cares for himself and decides to try raising a woman from the dead.
2. Who has sex with a prostitute in order to try to explain sex to another character in the story?
3. What does Joshua's father do for a living, so it is generally expected he will do the same thing?
4. What is the name of the man who delivers the food to the room of Raziel and Biff?
5. Joshua heals John of a _______ he has developed from being in the water so much.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the identity Joy now promotes for herself in order to keep herself safe from harm?
2. What happens when Joshua's attempts to save a thief from death fail after the thief is resurrected once?
3. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
4. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
5. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
6. What did Joshua do that confirmed the charge of blasphemy against him?
7. How do the monks test those who want to be admitted into the monastery when they arrive at the gates?
8. What does Joshua do in order to keep Biff from getting in the way of the events about to happen?
9. What does Maggie do in order to hopefully become divorced by Jakan?
10. What do the apostles conspire not to do in order to save Joshua from being killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Telling the whole story of Joshua, aka Jesus, is important enough to Raziel that he raises Biff from the dead to write his own gospel.
Part 1: Why do you think Raziel is so invested in getting this story told by Biff?
Part 2: What might happen if Biff were never to write the gospel as Raziel wants him to?
Part 3: How does Raziel know that Biff is telling the truth as he is writing out the gospel?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of a miracle is a clouded one in this story. Though most of the time people believe all miracles are great and produce positive results, this isn't always the case.
Part 1: Do you personally think miracles are always good things? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think the book made sure to show that not all miracles produce positive results?
Part 3: How did you feel when the miracle Joshua performed ended up angering the parents? How do you think the parents should have felt?
Essay Topic 3
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
This section contains 2,287 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)