|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up killing the Roman's killer before the killer kills Maggie?
2. The angel Raziel ends up getting hooked on _____________ while they are staying in the hotel room.
3. Raziel makes ___________ promise to tell any shepherds he might come across about the good news of Christ's coming.
4. Who is chipping away at the state when the Roman legionnaire discovers them in their prank?
5. While other children play normal games, Biff and Joshua used to pretend to be _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are other people in the town afraid that Mary might attract too much attention from the Philistines?
2. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
3. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
4. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
5. What do the Pharisees want in return for the release of Joseph and the other accused people in the death of the Roman?
6. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
7. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
8. What does Joshua do for the killed Roman legionnaire in the presence of the crowds in Sepphoris?
9. In Jerusalem, Biff and Joshua come upon John the Baptist. What is John doing when they first see him?
10. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
Essay Topic 3
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)