|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands that the captain treat the boys fairly, frightening the captain out of his wits?
2. Who ends up killing the Roman's killer before the killer kills Maggie?
3. What are the color of the robes and the wings of Raziel when he appears to the captain of the ship?
4. Who is thrown overboard when he makes a sarcastic comment to the captain of the boat?
5. _____________ can not experience sex firsthand, so he asks for details to be explained to him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ancient Biff try to persuade Joshua to do as they are beginning their apprenticeships?
2. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
3. What does Raziel ponder when he finally obtains a copy of the Soap Opera Digest in the hotel room?
4. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
5. What does Biff find about the writing in the Bible when he finally gets a chance to read it?
6. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
7. What did Biff and Joshua like to do though other children in the town liked to play the usual games?
8. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
9. What does Joshua purchase when he is on the Silk Road and then becomes addicted to it?
10. Who is being accused of knifing the Roman legionnaire, even though he was not the guilty person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Biff is very curious as to how the events in the Bible are portrayed, finally securing a copy of the Bible to see how others have written about his lifetime.
Part 1: Why do you think Biff is so interested in learning more about the way the stories have been told?
Part 2: Why do you think Raziel doesn't want Biff to read any of the Bible's version of events?
Part 3: Do you think Biff needed to see what was already written down about his times? Or would it have been better for him to not have looked at the Bible? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage is quite different in this book, with the custom being that most marry at 14.
Part 1: What do you think about people being married at the age of 14? Why was this acceptable at the time?
Part 2: Do you think Maggie and Biff would have been a successful couple if they were able to marry?
Part 3: Why do you think marriages were arranged during this time? What was the value of arranging marriages?
Essay Topic 3
One of the things which set Joshua apart from the rest of the boys of the time is that he seems to be afraid of nothing.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is afraid of nothing? What makes him free of fear?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good thing to be without fear? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Joseph wants Biff to teach Joshua how to be more human?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)