|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has to wait outside the fortress to be paid for the supplies he has brought?
2. Who does Joshua blind in a fit of rage after raising a thief from the dead once, only to have him be killed again?
3. __________ becomes panicky during the slaughter of the lambs in the temple for Passover.
4. Raziel wonders about the ___________ who foretell the future events in his beloved soap operas.
5. Who is Joshua's true father, even though another man steps in to take on the role?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
2. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
3. What does Biff want Joshua to do once he hears about what will happen to Maggie?
4. What is the prank Biff invites Maggie to come along to witness with he and Joshua?
5. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
6. What does Ancient Biff try to persuade Joshua to do as they are beginning their apprenticeships?
7. What do Biff and Joshua do in order to shorten their trip to Antioch?
8. Why does modern day Biff believe Raziel will not want him to read the Bible that is in the hotel room?
9. What reduces Mary's credibility in her talking about the virgin birth of Joshua, according to Biff's storytelling?
10. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At times, one could say that Moore might be going too far with the things he is including in this story - i.e. the story of circumcising Apollo.
Part 1: Do you think Moore takes the story too far with some of the slang and crass humor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is there value in pushing the humor of the story a bit too far? Explain your response.
Part 3: At any point were you offended by the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)