|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is chipping away at the state when the Roman legionnaire discovers them in their prank?
2. What happens to the Jews who tried to take down a statue of a Roman god?
3. Biff convinces Raziel that ________ can not buy magazines for the guests in order to get Raziel to go away for a while.
4. When Joshua's face shows up on a piece of bread, who does Mary try to convince others in the town the face really is?
5. What does Biff compare the Old Testament of the Bible to, noting it is very similar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Pharisees want in return for the release of Joseph and the other accused people in the death of the Roman?
2. What addiction does Raziel seem to have that Biff wants to use against him in order to read the Bible?
3. Why does modern day Biff believe Raziel will not want him to read the Bible that is in the hotel room?
4. What is the task that is assigned to Raziel by Heaven at the start of this book?
5. What is Joshua's reaction to the statue of Venus they find at the gate of Sepphoris?
6. What are the two rules of the Romans, as Gaius reveals to the children when they are at the funeral?
7. What do Biff and Joshua do in order to shorten their trip to Antioch?
8. Why are other people in the town afraid that Mary might attract too much attention from the Philistines?
9. What is the honest mistake that Biff makes when he is tipping the room service?
10. What does Biff want Joshua to do once he hears about what will happen to Maggie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The label of being the Messiah is something which John and Joshua both believe to be their own.
Part 1: Why do you think John believes himself to be the Messiah?
Part 2: What is the value of having two characters in the town who may or may not be the Messiah?
Part 3: Why is the label of being the Messiah so important to the men?
Essay Topic 2
At times, one could say that Moore might be going too far with the things he is including in this story - i.e. the story of circumcising Apollo.
Part 1: Do you think Moore takes the story too far with some of the slang and crass humor? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is there value in pushing the humor of the story a bit too far? Explain your response.
Part 3: At any point were you offended by the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Telling the whole story of Joshua, aka Jesus, is important enough to Raziel that he raises Biff from the dead to write his own gospel.
Part 1: Why do you think Raziel is so invested in getting this story told by Biff?
Part 2: What might happen if Biff were never to write the gospel as Raziel wants him to?
Part 3: How does Raziel know that Biff is telling the truth as he is writing out the gospel?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)