|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does the angel have no need for, making it an ideal place for Biff to get away?
2. Biff tries to persuade Joshua to join him in his apprenticeship as __________ is scarce.
3. What statue is at the gate of Sepphoris when Biff and Joshua arrive to work with Biff's dad?
4. What is the name Biff gives to the rebellious Jews who try to cause trouble for the Romans?
5. Whose uncle is the Zealot who saves the children before they are able to escape by running away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Jerusalem, Biff and Joshua come upon John the Baptist. What is John doing when they first see him?
2. What did Joshua know how to do as a young child growing up in Nazareth?
3. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
4. What does Biff do in order to help Joshua begin to understand the idea of sex and what happens?
5. What does Raziel ponder when he finally obtains a copy of the Soap Opera Digest in the hotel room?
6. What happens when the boys begin to deface the statue in the way they had intended?
7. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
8. Why does modern day Biff believe Raziel will not want him to read the Bible that is in the hotel room?
9. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
10. Why are other people in the town afraid that Mary might attract too much attention from the Philistines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joshua has to be tested by the Devil in order to be ready to be the true Messiah, and he passes the test.
Part 1: Why does Joshua have to be tested by the Devil in order to be ready to teach others?
Part 2: What kind of tests do you think Joshua might have had to face when he was with the Devil?
Part 3: Why doesn't Joshua share his experiences with the Devil with Biff when he emerges from the desert?
Essay Topic 2
Biff is given the gift of being able to speak in English slang and idioms, which allows the story to be told in modern day vernacular and style.
Part 1: Do you think the writing style is effective for this story? Does the writing style make the story more or less enjoyable?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Biff could tell the story in a modern voice?
Part 3: What effect does the humor in the story have on the actual events within the story as it is told?
Essay Topic 3
Joshua, as a child, tries to raise people from the dead, much to the horror of others in the story.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua is not always successful in raising people from the dead?
Part 2: What do you think a townsperson thought of Joshua after witnessing his attempts at raising the dead?
Part 3: Would you want to be able to raise people from the dead? Why or why not?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)