|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Biff's father talks with the ____________ who has hired him to build the house where the stonecutting takes place.
2. What is the kind of food that Raziel and Biff both enjoy ordering via room service?
3. Who does Biff invite along on a prank he and Joshua are going to play on a statue of Apollo?
4. Who demands that the captain treat the boys fairly, frightening the captain out of his wits?
5. ____________ sends everyone home with a warning not to pull any more strange pranks without letting him get drunk.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does modern day Biff believe Raziel will not want him to read the Bible that is in the hotel room?
2. Who is being accused of knifing the Roman legionnaire, even though he was not the guilty person?
3. Why does the angel Raziel show up to Biff ten years too late, according to Biff's recollection?
4. In Jerusalem, Biff and Joshua come upon John the Baptist. What is John doing when they first see him?
5. What happened when others have tried to take down the statue of Venus?
6. What does Bart, the town idiot, advise that Biff do when he sees Biff crying by the well?
7. What is ironic about the man who delivers pizza to Raziel and Biff when they are staying in a hotel room?
8. What happens when Joshua's attempts to save a thief from death fail after the thief is resurrected once?
9. What is Joshua's response when Maggie talks about wanting to be a fisherman as they are discussing apprenticeships?
10. What does Ancient Biff try to persuade Joshua to do as they are beginning their apprenticeships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Maggie and Biff have sex, it's clear that it was supposed to be Joshua and not Biff, yet Maggie doesn't seem to mind.
Part 1: Why do you think Joshua sent Biff in his place? Did Joshua know what was to happen?
Part 2: Why do you think Maggie went along with Biff in Joshua's place?
Part 3: Why do you think Joshua is not able to have sex with anyone? What does this provide him?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women is not a large one in this story, which is akin to the Bible's interpretation of events. At the same time, the women in the book are more detailed and complicated.
Part 1: Do you think Mary is portrayed in a positive way? Why or why not? How should she have been portrayed, in your opinion? Why?
Part 2: Do you agree with the way "Maggie" is portrayed in this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about women during the times of Joshua/Jesus?
Essay Topic 3
One of the laws in the Jewish faith is that the Sabbath must be observed as a day of complete rest.
Part 1: Why do you think the day of rest is so important to those of the Jewish faith?
Part 2: Do you think there should be exceptions to the rule of always resting on the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Part 3: Would you want to try a day of rest in your life? Do you think you could simply stop and rest for a day? Why or why not?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)