|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Sioux traditional births, what is placed in the center of a tipi?
2. Where does Leonard's great-grandfather hold a Ghost Dance in 1890?
3. Who acts as chief midwife when Mary gives birth?
4. What does Leonard say helps him be a better psychiatrist than the ones he sees?
5. Who does Annie Mae marry in the Indian way and take the name of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the first Crow Dog get his name, according to the stories that Henry Crow Dog tells Mary?
2. Summarize what happens to Leonard Crow Dog's traditional style of wearing his hair while in prison.
3. What causes Mary's breakdown and how is she healed?
4. What leads up to Mary becoming Leonard's wife?
5. Where did Annie Mae first meet people from AIM?
6. What happens to Mary and her child as they leave Wounded Knee?
7. Explain all that Leonard Crow Dog did at Wounded Knee in 1973.
8. Explain the points where Mary disagreed with the feminists who had supported her.
9. What did Mary admire about her friend, Annie Mae?
10. Describe Annie Mae's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of peyote with Native Americans in general and its effects on Mary's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Two, the Sioux practice of tiyospaye is introduced and described as the center of the old Sioux society. Explain what tiyospaye is and how it has changed.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)