|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does First Woman find on her left side?
2. According to Chapter Nine, whose braids does Dick Wilson want to personally cut off?
3. Why says, "They won't let Indians like me live"?
4. Who is the Osage artist who supports Leonard Crow Dog being released?
5. What do many Ghost Dance dancers wrap themselves up with in the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie Mae's childhood.
2. What events led to Judge Robert Merhige to release Crow Dog for time served?
3. Describe Barbara's living situation in Chapter Sixteen.
4. Describe the Crow Dogs' vision pit.
5. Summarize what happens to Leonard Crow Dog's traditional style of wearing his hair while in prison.
6. Why do the Crow Dogs believe they are cursed?
7. When Crow Dog is released from prison the first time, he goes to New York with friends, but has trouble sleeping. Mentally, he feels like he's still in prison. What changes?
8. What was the attitude toward Mary, who was quite pregnant at the time of the siege at Wounded Knee?
9. Describe the trading post store.
10. What was the purpose of the Ghost Dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Two, the Sioux practice of tiyospaye is introduced and described as the center of the old Sioux society. Explain what tiyospaye is and how it has changed.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of the Ghost Dance at both Wounded Knee episodes.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)