|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
2. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
3. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
4. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
5. What does AIM stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the attitude toward Mary, who was quite pregnant at the time of the siege at Wounded Knee?
2. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
3. What was First Woman given the power to do?
4. Describe Barbara's living situation in Chapter Sixteen.
5. Where did Crow Dog talk to Mary about Sioux legends and what was involved in being a medicine man and the wife of a medicine man?
6. Describe the peyote plant.
7. What happened to the Sun Dance in 1883?
8. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
9. What did Mary admire about her friend, Annie Mae?
10. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of Indian Boarding Schools and write an essay about the philosophy behind Indian boarding schools and their effects. Did the schools achieve the purpose they were supposed to achieve? Were the schools a benefit or harmful to the Native American children who were forced to attend them?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Chapter Fifteen is titled, "The Eagle Caged."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mary's need to have her baby at Wounded Knee.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)