|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
2. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
3. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
4. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
5. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary spend her time after she quit school?
2. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
3. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
4. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
5. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
6. Describe the peyote plant.
7. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
8. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
9. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
10. Describe the beginning of AIM.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Native American women in Chapter Five.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and use of alcohol on the reservations from Lakota Woman.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Two, the Sioux practice of tiyospaye is introduced and described as the center of the old Sioux society. Explain what tiyospaye is and how it has changed.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)