|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
2. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
3. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
4. What is the best description of the type of book Lakota Woman is?
5. How old is Mary when her mother remarries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
2. Describe the beginning of AIM.
3. Describe Mary's aunt, Elsie Flood.
4. According to Chapter Three, who runs the boarding school that the author attended?
5. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
6. Why did the Rosebud people not play a big part at battles like Little Big Horn?
7. Describe the peyote plant.
8. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
9. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
10. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the belief held by Sioux men that menstruating women cannot participate in rituals because their power is too strong.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and use of alcohol on the reservations from Lakota Woman.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Two, the Sioux practice of tiyospaye is introduced and described as the center of the old Sioux society. Explain what tiyospaye is and how it has changed.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)