|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
2. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
3. Who does Mary's sister bail out of jail in Chapter Four?
4. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
5. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie Mae's childhood.
2. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
3. When Crow Dog is released from prison the first time, he goes to New York with friends, but has trouble sleeping. Mentally, he feels like he's still in prison. What changes?
4. What did Mary admire about her friend, Annie Mae?
5. Why do the Crow Dogs believe they are cursed?
6. Describe the last peyote meeting that the author attended with Grandpa Dick Fool Bull.
7. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
8. How is a yuwipi ceremony prepared for?
9. How does the first Crow Dog get his name, according to the stories that Henry Crow Dog tells Mary?
10. Summarize what happens to Leonard Crow Dog's traditional style of wearing his hair while in prison.
Essay Topic 1
Explain the effects of the Indian Reorganization Act on Native Americans, both the advantages and the disadvantages. What is the author's opinion of the Indian Reorganization Act?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mary's need to have her baby at Wounded Knee.
Essay Topic 3
Research the history of Indian Boarding Schools and write an essay about the philosophy behind Indian boarding schools and their effects. Did the schools achieve the purpose they were supposed to achieve? Were the schools a benefit or harmful to the Native American children who were forced to attend them?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)