|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
2. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
3. Chapter Two begins with what?
4. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
5. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
2. Describe Mary's aunt, Elsie Flood.
3. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
4. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
5. Describe the houses in the reservation towns from Chapter Four.
6. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
7. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
8. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
9. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
10. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women at Wounded Knee and whether they were treated as second-class citizens.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the Epilogue of Lakota Woman serve?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)