|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
2. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
3. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
4. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
5. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
2. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
3. Why was the author successful during her shoplifting days?
4. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
5. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
6. Describe the peyote plant.
7. Describe the houses in the reservation towns from Chapter Four.
8. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
9. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
10. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What purpose does the Epilogue of Lakota Woman serve?
Essay Topic 2
Mary ends the first chapter by talking about her husband's family history. She states, "So, if my own family lacks history, that of my husband more than makes up for it." Compare and contrast Mary's family history with that of the Leonard Crow Dog.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the belief held by Sioux men that menstruating women cannot participate in rituals because their power is too strong.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)