|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
2. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
3. Who says, "We are the Old Indians, the landlords of this continent, coming to collect the rent"?
4. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
5. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Indian boarding schools from "Lakota Woman."
2. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
3. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
4. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
5. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
6. Describe the peyote plant.
7. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
8. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
9. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
10. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does becoming a mother change Mary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter of Lakota Woman starts with a Cheyenne proverb: "A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground. Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons." The narrator also refers to this proverb later in the chapter. How does this proverb relate to this book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of peyote with Native Americans in general and its effects on Mary's life.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)