|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You hate those most whom you have injured most"?
2. What is the name of the boarding school that the author attends?
3. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
4. What is an iyeska?
5. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
2. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
3. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
4. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
5. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
6. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
7. Describe the peyote plant.
8. Describe the beginning of AIM.
9. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
10. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research the history of Indian Boarding Schools and write an essay about the philosophy behind Indian boarding schools and their effects. Did the schools achieve the purpose they were supposed to achieve? Were the schools a benefit or harmful to the Native American children who were forced to attend them?
Essay Topic 2
The first chapter of Lakota Woman starts with a Cheyenne proverb: "A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground. Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons." The narrator also refers to this proverb later in the chapter. How does this proverb relate to this book?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Chapter Fifteen is titled, "The Eagle Caged."
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)