|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Approximately how many acres are in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations?
2. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
3. What work does Grandpa Moore do?
4. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
5. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
2. Describe the houses in the reservation towns from Chapter Four.
3. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
4. Describe the peyote plant.
5. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
6. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
7. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
8. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
9. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
10. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of Native American women in Chapter Five.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mary's experience with the Sun Dance.
Essay Topic 3
The first chapter of Lakota Woman starts with a Cheyenne proverb: "A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground. Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons." The narrator also refers to this proverb later in the chapter. How does this proverb relate to this book?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)