|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
2. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
3. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
4. What is pejuta sapa, mentioned in Chapter Five?
5. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the last peyote meeting that the author attended with Grandpa Dick Fool Bull.
2. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
3. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
4. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
5. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
6. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
7. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
8. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
9. Describe Indian boarding schools from "Lakota Woman."
10. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the effects of the Indian Reorganization Act on Native Americans, both the advantages and the disadvantages. What is the author's opinion of the Indian Reorganization Act?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
Essay Topic 3
Does becoming a mother change Mary? Why or why not?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)