|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
2. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
3. Who is Wise?
4. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
5. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
2. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
3. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
4. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
5. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
6. Describe the peyote plant.
7. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
8. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
9. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
10. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary ends the first chapter by talking about her husband's family history. She states, "So, if my own family lacks history, that of my husband more than makes up for it." Compare and contrast Mary's family history with that of the Leonard Crow Dog.
Essay Topic 2
Does becoming a mother change Mary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of Native American women in Chapter Five.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)