|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American city does AIM begin in?
2. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
3. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
4. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
5. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Indian boarding schools from "Lakota Woman."
2. How did Mary spend her time after she quit school?
3. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
4. Describe Mary's aunt, Elsie Flood.
5. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
6. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
7. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
8. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
9. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
10. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the belief held by Sioux men that menstruating women cannot participate in rituals because their power is too strong.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of the Ghost Dance at both Wounded Knee episodes.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)