|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
2. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
3. What does AIM stand for?
4. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
5. Chapter Two begins with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the author successful during her shoplifting days?
2. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
3. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
4. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
5. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
6. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
7. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
8. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
9. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
10. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was the government threatened by Annie Mae Aquash? Who do you believe killed her?
Essay Topic 2
Mary ends the first chapter by talking about her husband's family history. She states, "So, if my own family lacks history, that of my husband more than makes up for it." Compare and contrast Mary's family history with that of the Leonard Crow Dog.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how AIM changed Mary Brave Bird's life. Include both positive and negative influences. In your opinion, did AIM help Mary or not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)