|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does AIM stand for?
2. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
3. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
4. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
5. Who says, "We are the Old Indians, the landlords of this continent, coming to collect the rent"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
2. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
3. According to Chapter Three, who runs the boarding school that the author attended?
4. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
5. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
6. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
7. Describe Mary's aunt, Elsie Flood.
8. How did Mary spend her time after she quit school?
9. Describe Indian boarding schools from "Lakota Woman."
10. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mary's experience with the Sun Dance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mary's need to have her baby at Wounded Knee.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of Native American women in Chapter Five.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)