|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mary caught shoplifting her second time?
2. What is an iyeska?
3. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
4. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
5. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
2. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
3. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
4. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
5. Describe the last peyote meeting that the author attended with Grandpa Dick Fool Bull.
6. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
7. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
8. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
9. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
10. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of peyote with Native Americans in general and its effects on Mary's life.
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the Epilogue of Lakota Woman serve?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and use of alcohol on the reservations from Lakota Woman.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)