|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
2. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
3. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
4. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
5. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the houses in the reservation towns from Chapter Four.
2. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
3. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
4. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
5. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
6. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
7. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
8. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
9. Describe Indian boarding schools from "Lakota Woman."
10. According to Chapter Three, who runs the boarding school that the author attended?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mary's need to have her baby at Wounded Knee.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events of the siege of Wounded Knee.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the effects of the Indian Reorganization Act on Native Americans, both the advantages and the disadvantages. What is the author's opinion of the Indian Reorganization Act?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)