|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Reservation and non-reservation.
(b) Lakota and Dakota.
(c) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(d) Northern and Southern.
2. What American city does AIM begin in?
(a) St. Paul.
(b) San Francisco.
3. Who does Mary's sister bail out of jail in Chapter Four?
(a) Poor Bear.
(b) Her husband.
(d) Annie Mae.
4. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Red Power.
(b) Custer had it coming.
(c) Custer died for your sins.
(d) Custer was Sioux'd.
5. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(b) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
(c) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(d) Because of fear of white medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
2. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
3. How many kids are in Mary's family?
4. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
5. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
2. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
3. Describe the peyote plant.
4. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
5. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
6. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
7. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
8. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
9. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
10. Describe the last peyote meeting that the author attended with Grandpa Dick Fool Bull.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)