|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
2. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) A new English teacher/priest.
(c) A girl in her dorm at school.
(d) A boy at the school.
3. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Rip Torn.
(c) Jane Fonda.
(d) Dustin Hoffman.
4. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Native American church.
(b) Indian rights movement.
(c) Medicine men.
(d) Rosebud Reservation.
5. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
(d) Federal agents.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
2. What does AIM stand for?
3. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
4. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
5. How old is Mary when her mother remarries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
2. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
3. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
4. What did Mary received from her grandmother's older sister, Mary, and her husband?
5. Why did the Rosebud people not play a big part at battles like Little Big Horn?
6. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
7. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
8. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
9. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
10. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)