|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
(a) South Dakota bus stations.
(b) South Dakota department stores.
(c) South Dakota government buildings.
(d) South Dakota saloons.
2. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
3. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
(c) Rapid City.
4. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Government worker training.
(b) Nurse training.
(c) Teacher training.
(d) Business school training.
5. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
(c) Ghost Dancing.
(d) Extended family group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe does Mary belong to?
2. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
3. Where is Mary caught shoplifting her second time?
4. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
5. What American city does AIM begin in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Crow Dog talk to Mary about Sioux legends and what was involved in being a medicine man and the wife of a medicine man?
2. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
3. Explain the points where Mary disagreed with the feminists who had supported her.
4. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
5. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
6. What led to Leonard Crow Dog's second breakdown while in prison?
7. Describe Mary's aunt, Elsie Flood.
8. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
9. Who are some of the non-Indian supporters for Leonard Crow Dog?
10. Why did the Rosebud people not play a big part at battles like Little Big Horn?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)