|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
(b) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(c) Being in a car accident.
(d) Getting into a fight with her mother.
2. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) Spiritual medicine.
(b) A siege.
(c) A warrior society.
(d) Wounded Knee creek.
3. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
(a) She refused to go to Mass because she didn't feel well.
(b) She talked back to a nun.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She held hands with a boy.
4. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
(a) Reservation day school.
(b) Public school.
(c) St. Francis Boarding School.
(d) An out-of-state boarding school.
5. What does AIM stand for?
(a) American Indian Mothers.
(b) Association of Indian Moral.
(c) American Indian Movement.
(d) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
2. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
3. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
4. How long does Old Grandpa Fool Bull live?
5. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
2. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
3. Describe the dream the author experienced two weeks after her first peyote meeting.
4. Describe Annie Mae's childhood.
5. What events led to Judge Robert Merhige to release Crow Dog for time served?
6. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
7. Describe the trading post store.
8. Why do the Crow Dogs believe they are cursed?
9. Why was the author successful during her shoplifting days?
10. What happened to the Sun Dance in 1883?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)