|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
(a) In their pocket.
(b) In a place of honor in the home.
(c) The heads of households had no ration cards.
(d) A beaded pouch around the neck.
2. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) A warrior society.
(b) Spiritual medicine.
(c) A siege.
(d) Wounded Knee creek.
3. What are winter counts?
(a) The number of people living in a place in a specific winter.
(b) A list of people who die.
(c) A record of buffalo killed.
(d) Pictures on buffalo skin that tell stories.
4. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(b) It's a distress call.
(c) It's a truce symbol.
(d) It's a message of anger.
5. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
(a) Deer meat.
(b) Turtle stew.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
2. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
3. What American city does AIM begin in?
4. Who says, "Kill 'em all, big and small, nits make lice"?
5. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
2. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
3. Describe the Indian marriages of Chapter Six.
4. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
5. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
6. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
7. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
8. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
9. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
10. Describe the peyote plant.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)