|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Two Native American reservations are mentioned in Chapter One. What are they?
(a) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(b) Micmac and Pine Ridge.
(c) Rosebud and Navajo.
(d) Navajo and Hopi.
2. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
3. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
(b) Sweet grass.
4. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a distress call.
(b) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(c) It's a message of anger.
(d) It's a truce symbol.
5. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
(a) Public school.
(b) St. Francis Boarding School.
(c) An out-of-state boarding school.
(d) Reservation day school.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
2. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
3. What is an iyeska?
4. How tall is Mary?
5. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning of AIM.
2. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
3. Explain why no one Mary knows saves money in Chapter Two.
4. Why will Mary's mother and grandmother not teacher her how to speak the Sioux language?
5. Why does Mary say that it is hard being an Indian woman?
6. What did Mary live while her husband was in the maximum-security prison in Lewisburg? How did she spend her time?
7. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
8. Describe Old Grandpa Fool Bull.
9. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
10. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)