|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does AIM stand for?
(a) Association of Indian Moral.
(b) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
(c) American Indian Movement.
(d) American Indian Mothers.
2. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) A boy at the school.
(b) A new English teacher/priest.
(c) A girl in her dorm at school.
(d) One of the nuns.
3. Who is the very corrupt tribal president at Pine Ridge?
(a) Graham Brave Bull.
(b) Dennis Albert.
(c) Albert Ellis.
(d) Dick Wilson.
4. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(d) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
5. Two Native American reservations are mentioned in Chapter One. What are they?
(a) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(b) Rosebud and Navajo.
(c) Micmac and Pine Ridge.
(d) Navajo and Hopi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
2. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
3. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
4. How tall is Mary?
5. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary's Christmases when she is young in Chapter Two.
2. How did Mary spend her time after she quit school?
3. What happened at home when Mary quit school?
4. Describe the type of relationship that the author had with her mother in Chapter Five.
5. Explain how the trading posts operated as described in Chapter Five.
6. Describe the beginning of AIM.
7. What attempts were made to destroy Indian religion, according to Chapter Seven?
8. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
9. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
10. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)