|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Being in a car accident.
(b) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(c) Getting into a fight with her mother.
(d) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
2. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
(a) Rip Torn.
(b) Dustin Hoffman.
(c) Jane Fonda.
(d) Marlon Brando.
3. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Barbara Brave Bird.
(d) Mary's mother.
4. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
(c) Sweet grass.
5. What event draws groups of Native Americans from all over the country to Washington, D.C.?
(a) March on Washington.
(b) Takeover at Alcatraz.
(c) Pan American Pow Wow.
(d) Trail of Broken Treaties.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
2. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
3. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
4. According to the author, who makes up the AIM song?
5. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mary Brave Bird honored after having her baby during the siege of Wounded Knee?
2. What problems do Plains men face, according to Mary in Chapter One?
3. According to Chapter Three, who runs the boarding school that the author attended?
4. Describe the houses in the reservation towns from Chapter Four.
5. Although Mary grew up in poverty, she indicates she was happier before she had to go to boarding school. Explain why.
6. Explain what the Indian Reorganization Act meant for Native Americans.
7. Explain the tribal divisions among the Sioux people.
8. Describe the incident that led to Mary leaving boarding school permanently.
9. Where was Mary's first encounter with AIM?
10. Describe the last peyote meeting that the author attended with Grandpa Dick Fool Bull.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)