|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(b) South Dakota Public Schools.
(c) The BIA.
(d) The Lakota.
2. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Red Power.
(b) Custer had it coming.
(c) Custer died for your sins.
(d) Custer was Sioux'd.
3. Who is Wise?
(a) One of the students at the boarding school.
(b) A hippie or Yippie from New York.
(c) A reservation friend.
(d) A boy who was passing through Rosebud.
4. What American city does AIM begin in?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) St. Paul.
5. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
(a) The Second Wounded Knee.
(b) Her grandfather's death.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Participating in Sun Dance.
6. What is the best description of the type of book Lakota Woman is?
(c) Historical fiction.
(d) Current events non-fiction.
7. Approximately how many acres are in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations?
(a) Two million.
(b) Eight hundred thousand.
(c) Three million.
(d) Three hundred thousand.
8. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(a) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
9. What activity is justified as a way of getting a little of their own back?
(a) Taking drugs.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Stealing cars.
10. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(d) Never tell a lie.
11. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Barbara Brave Bird.
(c) Russ Fools Bull.
(d) Wesley Bad Heart Bull.
12. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
(a) Capital of South Dakota.
(b) Wounded Knee.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Washington State.
13. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Little Big Horn.
(b) The first Wounded Knee.
(c) Mary's birth.
(d) The Trail of Tears.
14. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
15. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Jane Fonda.
(c) Rip Torn.
(d) Dustin Hoffman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
2. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
3. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
4. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
5. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)