|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity is justified as a way of getting a little of their own back?
(b) Taking drugs.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Stealing cars.
2. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
3. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Russell Means.
(b) Mary Brave Bird.
(c) Leonard Crow Dog.
(d) Grandpa Fool Bull.
4. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
5. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Custer was Sioux'd.
(b) Red Power.
(c) Custer died for your sins.
(d) Custer had it coming.
6. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
(a) Russ Fools Bull.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Wesley Bad Heart Bull.
(d) Barbara Brave Bird.
7. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
8. What event draws groups of Native Americans from all over the country to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Pan American Pow Wow.
(b) March on Washington.
(c) Takeover at Alcatraz.
(d) Trail of Broken Treaties.
9. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Her great aunt Mary.
(b) Grandpa Moore.
(c) Crow Dogs.
(d) School friends raised traditionally.
10. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
(a) The Brave Bulls.
(b) The Crow Dogs.
(c) The Fool Bulls.
(d) The Horn Bears.
11. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
(b) Mission school.
12. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
(a) South Dakota government buildings.
(b) South Dakota department stores.
(c) South Dakota bus stations.
(d) South Dakota saloons.
13. What work does Grandpa Moore do?
(a) Truck driver.
(b) Grandpa Moore has no job.
(d) Tribal policeman.
14. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(b) Getting into a fight with her mother.
(c) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
(d) Being in a car accident.
15. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) A new English teacher/priest.
(c) A girl in her dorm at school.
(d) A boy at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are winter counts?
2. What does AIM stand for?
3. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
4. What is the "Red Panther"?
5. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)