|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
(a) Rez towns.
(b) Redneck towns.
(c) Fun towns.
(d) Drunk towns.
2. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) The first Wounded Knee.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) Mary's birth.
(d) Little Big Horn.
3. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
(a) Wounded Knee siege.
(b) Marriage to Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Ghost Dance.
(d) Sun Dance.
4. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Russell Means.
(d) Grandpa Fool Bull.
5. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
6. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(a) Loss of spirituality.
(b) White men.
7. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
(a) Capital of South Dakota.
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Wounded Knee.
(d) Washington State.
8. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
9. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
(d) Rapid City.
10. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
11. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Jane Fonda.
(c) Dustin Hoffman.
(d) Rip Torn.
12. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
(b) Extended family group.
(d) Ghost Dancing.
13. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Barbara Brave Bird.
(c) Mary's mother.
(d) Mary Brave Bird.
14. Who says, "Kill 'em all, big and small, nits make lice"?
(a) General Custer.
(b) Spotted Tail.
(c) Colonel Chivington.
(d) Major McDougall.
15. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(b) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(c) Because of fear of white medicine.
(d) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wise?
2. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
3. Who is the very corrupt tribal president at Pine Ridge?
4. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
5. Where is Mary caught shoplifting her second time?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)