|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
2. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) Wounded Knee creek.
(b) A siege.
(c) Spiritual medicine.
(d) A warrior society.
3. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
(a) Deer meat.
(b) Turtle stew.
4. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(d) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
5. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
6. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(a) Three times.
7. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
(b) Kansas City.
(c) Rapid City.
8. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
(b) Because of fear of white medicine.
(c) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(d) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
9. What is the name of the boarding school that the author attends?
(a) St. Francis.
(b) St. Xavier.
10. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
11. Where is Mary caught shoplifting her second time?
(b) Rapid City.
12. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Rosebud Reservation.
(b) Native American church.
(c) Indian rights movement.
(d) Medicine men.
13. What is the "Red Panther"?
(a) A student newspaper that the author was involved in.
(b) A Native American protest group.
(c) A book.
(d) A group of students at the boarding school.
14. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
(a) Marlon Brando.
(b) Dustin Hoffman.
(c) Jane Fonda.
(d) Rip Torn.
15. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
(b) Mission school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
2. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
3. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
4. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
5. Who does Mary's sister bail out of jail in Chapter Four?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)