|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
(b) Rapid City.
2. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a truce symbol.
(b) It's a distress call.
(c) It's a message of anger.
(d) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
3. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Her great aunt Mary.
(b) School friends raised traditionally.
(c) Grandpa Moore.
(d) Crow Dogs.
4. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(b) Three times.
5. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
(a) He-Dog is the woman's family name.
(b) He-Dog is a play on words revealed in the chapter.
(c) He-Dog is a store on the Pine Ridge reservation.
(d) He-Dog is a reservation community in South Dakota.
6. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
(b) Rapid City.
(c) Kansas City.
7. Approximately how many acres are in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations?
(a) Three million.
(b) Three hundred thousand.
(c) Two million.
(d) Eight hundred thousand.
8. How long does Old Grandpa Fool Bull live?
(a) A century.
(b) 90 years.
(c) 95 years.
(d) 101 years.
9. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
10. Who says, "You hate those most whom you have injured most"?
(a) Bill Kunstler, a lawyer.
(b) Dennis Banks, an AIM leader.
(c) Angela Davis, a revolutionary.
(d) Lizzy Fast Horse, a grandmother.
11. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
(a) A name isn't given.
(b) Puget Sound Cafe.
(c) Tugboat Cafe.
(d) Pike Place bar.
12. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(b) Because of fear of white medicine.
(c) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(d) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
13. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Custer had it coming.
(b) Custer died for your sins.
(c) Custer was Sioux'd.
(d) Red Power.
14. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Sister and acquaintance.
(b) Mother and aunt.
(c) Cousin and friend.
(d) Best friend and sister-in law.
15. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
(a) Dick Fool Bull.
(b) Elsie Flood.
(c) Grandpa Moore..
(d) Charlie Little Dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
2. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
3. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
4. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
5. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)