|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
(b) Vision quests.
(d) Sun Dance.
2. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(b) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(c) Because of fear of white medicine.
(d) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
3. According to the author, who makes up the AIM song?
(a) A middle-aged Ojibway woman.
(b) A 14-year-old Sioux boy.
(c) Russell Means.
(d) Leonard Crow Dog.
4. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Medicine men.
(b) Native American church.
(c) Indian rights movement.
(d) Rosebud Reservation.
5. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
(d) Anna Mae.
6. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a truce symbol.
(b) It's a distress call.
(c) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(d) It's a message of anger.
7. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
(a) Dick Fool Bull.
(b) Charlie Little Dog.
(c) Elsie Flood.
(d) Grandpa Moore..
8. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(d) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
9. What American city does AIM begin in?
(b) San Francisco.
(c) St. Paul.
10. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
(a) They catch TB and die.
(b) They die in infancy.
(c) They are jailed.
(d) They are killed by soldiers.
11. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
(a) She talked back to a nun.
(b) She refused to go to Mass because she didn't feel well.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She held hands with a boy.
12. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
(d) Sweet grass.
13. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Mother and aunt.
(b) Best friend and sister-in law.
(c) Cousin and friend.
(d) Sister and acquaintance.
14. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Grandpa Fool Bull.
(b) Russell Means.
(c) Mary Brave Bird.
(d) Leonard Crow Dog.
15. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
(b) Black Hills.
(c) Southern Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
2. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
3. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
4. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
5. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)