|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) Washington State.
(c) Capital of South Dakota.
(d) Wounded Knee.
2. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
(a) South Dakota saloons.
(b) South Dakota government buildings.
(c) South Dakota department stores.
(d) South Dakota bus stations.
3. What activity is justified as a way of getting a little of their own back?
(b) Stealing cars.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Taking drugs.
4. What year is AIM born?
5. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Lakota and Dakota.
(b) Reservation and non-reservation.
(c) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(d) Northern and Southern.
6. What event draws groups of Native Americans from all over the country to Washington, D.C.?
(a) March on Washington.
(b) Trail of Broken Treaties.
(c) Takeover at Alcatraz.
(d) Pan American Pow Wow.
7. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
(b) Southern Mexico.
(c) Black Hills.
8. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(a) Loss of spirituality.
(d) White men.
9. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Her great aunt Mary.
(b) School friends raised traditionally.
(c) Crow Dogs.
(d) Grandpa Moore.
10. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(a) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
11. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
(c) Federal agents.
12. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never tell a lie.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(d) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
13. What are winter counts?
(a) Pictures on buffalo skin that tell stories.
(b) The number of people living in a place in a specific winter.
(c) A list of people who die.
(d) A record of buffalo killed.
14. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
15. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(d) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
2. What does AIM stand for?
3. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
4. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
5. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)