|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
(d) Oral surgery.
2. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
(a) People from Pine Ridge.
(b) Elderly and children.
(c) Those living in poverty.
3. How many kids are in Mary's family?
4. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Best friend and sister-in law.
(b) Cousin and friend.
(c) Mother and aunt.
(d) Sister and acquaintance.
5. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
(d) They don't have tea.
6. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
(a) Legal rights.
(b) Political rights.
(c) Economic rights.
(d) Spiritual rights.
7. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
(a) Rapid City.
(d) Kansas City.
8. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never tell a lie.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(d) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
9. Approximately how many acres are in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations?
(a) Eight hundred thousand.
(b) Two million.
(c) Three million.
(d) Three hundred thousand.
10. What year is AIM born?
11. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
(b) Cheyenne proverb.
(c) Hopi song.
(d) Ghost Dance song.
12. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(a) Loss of spirituality.
(c) White men.
13. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Little Big Horn.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) The first Wounded Knee.
(d) Mary's birth.
14. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
(c) The Netherlands.
(d) New York.
15. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
(a) Wounded Knee siege.
(b) Marriage to Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Ghost Dance.
(d) Sun Dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
2. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
3. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
4. What is an iyeska?
5. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)