|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Business school training.
(b) Government worker training.
(c) Nurse training.
(d) Teacher training.
2. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
(a) Drunk towns.
(b) Fun towns.
(c) Redneck towns.
(d) Rez towns.
3. What is the "Red Panther"?
(a) A Native American protest group.
(b) A student newspaper that the author was involved in.
(c) A book.
(d) A group of students at the boarding school.
4. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
(a) St. Francis Boarding School.
(b) Public school.
(c) Reservation day school.
(d) An out-of-state boarding school.
5. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
6. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Cheyenne proverb.
(b) Ghost Dance song.
(c) Hopi song.
(d) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
7. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) A siege.
(b) Wounded Knee creek.
(c) A warrior society.
(d) Spiritual medicine.
8. What does AIM stand for?
(a) American Indian Mothers.
(b) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
(c) Association of Indian Moral.
(d) American Indian Movement.
9. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
(a) Puget Sound Cafe.
(b) A name isn't given.
(c) Pike Place bar.
(d) Tugboat Cafe.
10. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Reservation and non-reservation.
(b) Northern and Southern.
(c) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(d) Lakota and Dakota.
11. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
(a) New York.
(c) The Netherlands.
12. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
(a) He-Dog is a store on the Pine Ridge reservation.
(b) He-Dog is the woman's family name.
(c) He-Dog is a play on words revealed in the chapter.
(d) He-Dog is a reservation community in South Dakota.
13. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
14. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Rosebud Reservation.
(b) Indian rights movement.
(c) Native American church.
(d) Medicine men.
15. What is pejuta sapa, mentioned in Chapter Five?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
2. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
3. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
4. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
5. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)