|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
2. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
3. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
(d) Oral surgery.
4. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a message of anger.
(b) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(c) It's a truce symbol.
(d) It's a distress call.
5. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(d) Never tell a lie.
6. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Grandpa Fool Bull.
(c) Mary Brave Bird.
(d) Russell Means.
7. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
(c) They don't have tea.
8. Who does Mary's sister bail out of jail in Chapter Four?
(a) Poor Bear.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Annie Mae.
9. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
(a) The heads of households had no ration cards.
(b) In their pocket.
(c) A beaded pouch around the neck.
(d) In a place of honor in the home.
10. What is an iyeska?
(a) Someone who is both white and Native American.
(b) A Native American woman.
(c) Someone belonging to the Lakota Nation.
(d) A teenager.
11. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
(a) Spiritual rights.
(b) Economic rights.
(c) Legal rights.
(d) Political rights.
12. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
(a) The Strong Hearts.
(b) The Badgers.
(c) The Kit Foxes.
(d) The Dog Soliders.
13. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
(b) Getting into a fight with her mother.
(c) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(d) Being in a car accident.
14. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
(c) Anna Mae.
15. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Teacher training.
(b) Business school training.
(c) Government worker training.
(d) Nurse training.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
2. Chapter Two begins with what?
3. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
4. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
5. What is the best description of the type of book Lakota Woman is?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)