|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
(a) The Fool Bulls.
(b) The Brave Bulls.
(c) The Crow Dogs.
(d) The Horn Bears.
2. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(d) Never tell a lie.
3. What event draws groups of Native Americans from all over the country to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Takeover at Alcatraz.
(b) Trail of Broken Treaties.
(c) March on Washington.
(d) Pan American Pow Wow.
4. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
5. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
(a) They are jailed.
(b) They die in infancy.
(c) They catch TB and die.
(d) They are killed by soldiers.
6. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Hopi song.
(b) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
(c) Ghost Dance song.
(d) Cheyenne proverb.
7. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
8. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Mary's mother.
(d) Barbara Brave Bird.
9. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) A boy at the school.
(b) A new English teacher/priest.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) A girl in her dorm at school.
10. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
11. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) Spiritual medicine.
(b) A warrior society.
(c) A siege.
(d) Wounded Knee creek.
12. What does AIM stand for?
(a) American Indian Movement.
(b) American Indian Mothers.
(c) Association of Indian Moral.
(d) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
13. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
14. What work does Grandpa Moore do?
(a) Tribal policeman.
(b) Grandpa Moore has no job.
(c) Truck driver.
15. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(b) Capital of South Dakota.
(c) Wounded Knee.
(d) Washington State.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
2. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
3. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
4. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
5. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)