|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never tell a lie.
(d) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
2. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
(b) Extended family group.
(d) Ghost Dancing.
3. What is pejuta sapa, mentioned in Chapter Five?
4. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) The Trail of Tears.
(b) Mary's birth.
(c) The first Wounded Knee.
(d) Little Big Horn.
5. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Mary's mother.
(c) Leonard Crow Dog.
(d) Barbara Brave Bird.
6. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(b) Because of fear of white medicine.
(c) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
(d) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
7. How many kids are in Mary's family?
8. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
(b) Vision quests.
(c) Sun Dance.
9. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Ghost Dance song.
(b) Cheyenne proverb.
(c) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
(d) Hopi song.
10. What is the best description of the type of book Lakota Woman is?
(a) Historical fiction.
(d) Current events non-fiction.
11. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
(a) Drunk towns.
(b) Rez towns.
(c) Fun towns.
(d) Redneck towns.
12. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(b) It's a message of anger.
(c) It's a truce symbol.
(d) It's a distress call.
13. Who is Ira Hayes?
(a) A Native American Congressman.
(b) One of the BIA employees who talked to AIM.
(c) A Pima man who won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(d) One of the protestors in Washington, D.C.
14. What is the name of the boarding school that the author attends?
(b) St. Xavier.
(d) St. Francis.
15. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
(a) Those living in poverty.
(b) People from Pine Ridge.
(c) Elderly and children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
2. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
3. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
4. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
5. How tall is Mary?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)