|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Wesley Bad Heart Bull.
(c) Russ Fools Bull.
(d) Barbara Brave Bird.
2. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
3. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(b) Lakota and Dakota.
(c) Reservation and non-reservation.
(d) Northern and Southern.
4. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) The BIA.
(b) South Dakota Public Schools.
(c) The Lakota.
(d) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
5. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Mother and aunt.
(b) Cousin and friend.
(c) Sister and acquaintance.
(d) Best friend and sister-in law.
6. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
(b) Ghost Dance song.
(c) Hopi song.
(d) Cheyenne proverb.
7. How old is Mary when her mother remarries?
(a) Nine or ten.
(b) One or two.
(c) A teenager.
(d) Five or six.
8. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
9. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
(a) The effect of Indian boarding schools.
(b) White racism.
(c) Coming to the reservation.
(d) Leaving the reservation.
10. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Medicine men.
(b) Native American church.
(c) Indian rights movement.
(d) Rosebud Reservation.
11. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
(a) She held hands with a boy.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She talked back to a nun.
(d) She refused to go to Mass because she didn't feel well.
12. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) A new English teacher/priest.
(b) A girl in her dorm at school.
(c) One of the nuns.
(d) A boy at the school.
13. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
(a) The Fool Bulls.
(b) The Brave Bulls.
(c) The Horn Bears.
(d) The Crow Dogs.
14. Who is the very corrupt tribal president at Pine Ridge?
(a) Dick Wilson.
(b) Dennis Albert.
(c) Graham Brave Bull.
(d) Albert Ellis.
15. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(c) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
Short Answer Questions
1. What American city does AIM begin in?
2. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
3. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
4. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
5. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)