|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
(a) They are killed by soldiers.
(b) They catch TB and die.
(c) They die in infancy.
(d) They are jailed.
2. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
(a) Public school.
(b) Reservation day school.
(c) St. Francis Boarding School.
(d) An out-of-state boarding school.
3. What activity is justified as a way of getting a little of their own back?
(a) Stealing cars.
(c) Taking drugs.
(d) Drinking alcohol.
4. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(b) Never to talk to a white person.
(c) Never tell a lie.
(d) Never go into white peoples' homes.
5. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Best friend and sister-in law.
(b) Mother and aunt.
(c) Sister and acquaintance.
(d) Cousin and friend.
6. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
7. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
(a) Tugboat Cafe.
(b) A name isn't given.
(c) Puget Sound Cafe.
(d) Pike Place bar.
8. What work does Grandpa Moore do?
(b) Truck driver.
(c) Tribal policeman.
(d) Grandpa Moore has no job.
9. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
(c) Sweet grass.
10. Who is Ira Hayes?
(a) One of the BIA employees who talked to AIM.
(b) A Pima man who won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(c) One of the protestors in Washington, D.C.
(d) A Native American Congressman.
11. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Mary's birth.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) The first Wounded Knee.
(d) Little Big Horn.
12. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Russell Means.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Mary Brave Bird.
(d) Grandpa Fool Bull.
13. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) Getting into a fight with her mother.
(b) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(c) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
(d) Being in a car accident.
14. What does AIM stand for?
(a) American Indian Mothers.
(b) American Indian Movement.
(c) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
(d) Association of Indian Moral.
15. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Indian rights movement.
(b) Rosebud Reservation.
(c) Native American church.
(d) Medicine men.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
2. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
3. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
4. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
5. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)