|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) The Trail of Tears.
(b) Little Big Horn.
(c) Mary's birth.
(d) The first Wounded Knee.
2. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Custer died for your sins.
(b) Custer had it coming.
(c) Red Power.
(d) Custer was Sioux'd.
3. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
(a) Rapid City.
(c) Kansas City.
4. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
(a) An imitation Persian rug.
(c) Asian food while in New York.
5. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
(a) He-Dog is a reservation community in South Dakota.
(b) He-Dog is a play on words revealed in the chapter.
(c) He-Dog is a store on the Pine Ridge reservation.
(d) He-Dog is the woman's family name.
6. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
(a) Indian Reorganization Act.
(b) Indian Civil Rights Act.
(c) American Indian Religious Freedom Act.
(d) Dawes Act.
7. Who says, "We are the Old Indians, the landlords of this continent, coming to collect the rent"?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Dennis Banks.
(c) Mary Brave Bird.
(d) Dick Fool Bull.
8. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
(a) The Strong Hearts.
(b) The Dog Soliders.
(c) The Kit Foxes.
(d) The Badgers.
9. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
10. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never to talk to a white person.
(b) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(c) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(d) Never tell a lie.
11. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
(a) They are killed by soldiers.
(b) They die in infancy.
(c) They catch TB and die.
(d) They are jailed.
12. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
(d) Rapid City.
13. How tall is Mary?
(a) Over five foot, six inches.
(b) Five and a half feet.
(c) Under five feet.
(d) Not much over five feet tall.
14. Who says, "Kill 'em all, big and small, nits make lice"?
(a) Colonel Chivington.
(b) Spotted Tail.
(c) Major McDougall.
(d) General Custer.
15. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
2. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
3. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
4. What tribe does Mary belong to?
5. According to the author, who makes up the AIM song?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)