|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, who makes up the AIM song?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Russell Means.
(c) A middle-aged Ojibway woman.
(d) A 14-year-old Sioux boy.
2. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Grandpa Fool Bull.
(b) Mary Brave Bird.
(c) Leonard Crow Dog.
(d) Russell Means.
3. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
(a) Barbara Brave Bird.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Wesley Bad Heart Bull.
(d) Russ Fools Bull.
4. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a distress call.
(b) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(c) It's a truce symbol.
(d) It's a message of anger.
5. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
(d) Oral surgery.
6. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
(b) Mission school.
7. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
(a) Marriage to Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Wounded Knee siege.
(c) Sun Dance.
(d) Ghost Dance.
8. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
(a) South Dakota bus stations.
(b) South Dakota government buildings.
(c) South Dakota saloons.
(d) South Dakota department stores.
9. Who is Ira Hayes?
(a) One of the BIA employees who talked to AIM.
(b) One of the protestors in Washington, D.C.
(c) A Native American Congressman.
(d) A Pima man who won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
10. What is the name of the boarding school that the author attends?
(a) St. Francis.
(c) St. Xavier.
11. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(b) Lakota and Dakota.
(c) Northern and Southern.
(d) Reservation and non-reservation.
12. Why does Mary not want to have her child in a white hospital?
(a) Because of fear of white medicine.
(b) Because Barbara's baby died after two hours.
(c) Because of the large number of forced sterilizations.
(d) Because she was afraid the baby would be taken from her.
13. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
(d) Federal agents.
14. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
(a) The Netherlands.
(c) New York.
15. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Teacher training.
(b) Business school training.
(c) Government worker training.
(d) Nurse training.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
2. How tall is Mary?
3. Who is Wise?
4. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
5. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)