|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Crow Dogs.
(b) Her great aunt Mary.
(c) Grandpa Moore.
(d) School friends raised traditionally.
2. How tall is Mary?
(a) Under five feet.
(b) Not much over five feet tall.
(c) Five and a half feet.
(d) Over five foot, six inches.
3. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
(a) New York.
(c) The Netherlands.
4. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
5. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Little Big Horn.
(b) Mary's birth.
(c) The Trail of Tears.
(d) The first Wounded Knee.
6. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
(a) She talked back to a nun.
(b) She held hands with a boy.
(c) She ran away.
(d) She refused to go to Mass because she didn't feel well.
7. What is an iyeska?
(a) Someone belonging to the Lakota Nation.
(b) Someone who is both white and Native American.
(c) A teenager.
(d) A Native American woman.
8. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Northern and Southern.
(b) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(c) Reservation and non-reservation.
(d) Lakota and Dakota.
9. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
(a) Her grandfather's death.
(b) Participating in Sun Dance.
(c) The Second Wounded Knee.
(d) Her marriage.
10. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a message of anger.
(b) It's a distress call.
(c) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(d) It's a truce symbol.
11. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
(c) An imitation Persian rug.
(d) Asian food while in New York.
12. How old is Mary when her mother remarries?
(a) A teenager.
(b) One or two.
(c) Five or six.
(d) Nine or ten.
13. How long does Old Grandpa Fool Bull live?
(a) A century.
(b) 90 years.
(c) 95 years.
(d) 101 years.
14. According to the author, what town is considered by many Native Americans to be the most racist town in the U.S.?
(a) Kansas City.
(c) Rapid City.
15. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
(a) A siege.
(b) Wounded Knee creek.
(c) A warrior society.
(d) Spiritual medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
2. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
3. Who is Ira Hayes?
4. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
5. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)