|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
2. Which old warrior society once wore long sashes?
(a) The Badgers.
(b) The Dog Soliders.
(c) The Kit Foxes.
(d) The Strong Hearts.
3. Who says, "You hate those most whom you have injured most"?
(a) Lizzy Fast Horse, a grandmother.
(b) Dennis Banks, an AIM leader.
(c) Angela Davis, a revolutionary.
(d) Bill Kunstler, a lawyer.
4. Who is Ira Hayes?
(a) A Native American Congressman.
(b) One of the protestors in Washington, D.C.
(c) A Pima man who won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(d) One of the BIA employees who talked to AIM.
5. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Sister and acquaintance.
(b) Mother and aunt.
(c) Best friend and sister-in law.
(d) Cousin and friend.
6. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
(a) Deer meat.
(c) Turtle stew.
7. What is the significance of an upside down flag for Native Americans?
(a) It's a distress call.
(b) It's a message of anger.
(c) It's meant to be a sign of disrespect.
(d) It's a truce symbol.
8. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
(a) Indian Reorganization Act.
(b) Indian Civil Rights Act.
(c) Dawes Act.
(d) American Indian Religious Freedom Act.
9. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
(a) An imitation Persian rug.
(d) Asian food while in New York.
10. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
(a) Black Hills.
(d) Southern Mexico.
11. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Her great aunt Mary.
(b) School friends raised traditionally.
(c) Grandpa Moore.
(d) Crow Dogs.
12. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
(a) Elderly and children.
(b) Those living in poverty.
(d) People from Pine Ridge.
13. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
(a) Anna Mae.
14. In Chapter Seven, who finds the chief peyote?
15. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) The Lakota.
(b) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(c) The BIA.
(d) South Dakota Public Schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following celebrities is not mentioned as a supporter of AIM?
2. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
3. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
4. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
5. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)