|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
2. Approximately how many acres are in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge reservations?
(a) Three hundred thousand.
(b) Two million.
(c) Three million.
(d) Eight hundred thousand.
3. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(a) Three times.
4. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(c) Loss of spirituality.
(d) White men.
5. Who is Ira Hayes?
(a) A Native American Congressman.
(b) A Pima man who won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
(c) One of the BIA employees who talked to AIM.
(d) One of the protestors in Washington, D.C.
6. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
(a) Dawes Act.
(b) American Indian Religious Freedom Act.
(c) Indian Reorganization Act.
(d) Indian Civil Rights Act.
7. Where does Mary go to school as a child?
(a) An out-of-state boarding school.
(b) St. Francis Boarding School.
(c) Reservation day school.
(d) Public school.
8. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
9. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
10. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) South Dakota Public Schools.
(b) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(c) The BIA.
(d) The Lakota.
11. What event takes place on Crow Dog land in late 1972 that the author compares to a rebirth?
(a) Ghost Dance.
(b) Marriage to Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Wounded Knee siege.
(d) Sun Dance.
12. According to a sign in Chapter Eight, what town has "gunsmoke flavor"?
(b) Rapid City.
13. What does the Crow Dog family join in 1918 or 1920?
(a) Indian rights movement.
(b) Native American church.
(c) Medicine men.
(d) Rosebud Reservation.
14. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
(a) Leaving the reservation.
(b) White racism.
(c) The effect of Indian boarding schools.
(d) Coming to the reservation.
15. Who tells a judge, "Peyote is my lawyer"?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Grandpa Fool Bull.
(c) Leonard Crow Dog.
(d) Russell Means.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many kids are in Mary's family?
2. What tribe does Mary belong to?
3. What is the best description of the type of book Lakota Woman is?
4. Who is the very corrupt tribal president at Pine Ridge?
5. Who says, "Kill 'em all, big and small, nits make lice"?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)