|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(c) Loss of spirituality.
(d) White men.
2. Who says, "You hate those most whom you have injured most"?
(a) Lizzy Fast Horse, a grandmother.
(b) Bill Kunstler, a lawyer.
(c) Angela Davis, a revolutionary.
(d) Dennis Banks, an AIM leader.
3. According to the author in Chapter Seven, what is the movement for Native American rights first a movement about?
(a) Economic rights.
(b) Spiritual rights.
(c) Legal rights.
(d) Political rights.
4. How many items are on the list on the poster given to Mary's grandfather by missionaries?
5. How tall is Mary?
(a) Not much over five feet tall.
(b) Under five feet.
(c) Over five foot, six inches.
(d) Five and a half feet.
6. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(b) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(c) Never to talk to a white person.
(d) Never tell a lie.
7. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Cousin and friend.
(b) Best friend and sister-in law.
(c) Mother and aunt.
(d) Sister and acquaintance.
8. What does AIM stand for?
(a) Taking a true AIM against the white society.
(b) American Indian Movement.
(c) American Indian Mothers.
(d) Association of Indian Moral.
9. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) A new English teacher/priest.
(c) A boy at the school.
(d) A girl in her dorm at school.
10. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) The BIA.
(b) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(c) South Dakota Public Schools.
(d) The Lakota.
11. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
(a) Sun Dance.
(c) Vision quests.
12. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
(a) Elsie Flood.
(b) Grandpa Moore..
(c) Dick Fool Bull.
(d) Charlie Little Dog.
13. How long does Old Grandpa Fool Bull live?
(a) A century.
(b) 95 years.
(c) 101 years.
(d) 90 years.
14. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(b) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
15. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
(a) Indian Civil Rights Act.
(b) American Indian Religious Freedom Act.
(c) Indian Reorganization Act.
(d) Dawes Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Five, whose drug of choice is LSD?
2. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
3. During the author's first Native American Church meeting as a girl, how many times does she receive the medicine?
4. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
5. What is Cankpe Opi Wakpala?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)