|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
(a) An imitation Persian rug.
(b) Asian food while in New York.
2. Who takes Mary to her first peyote meeting?
(a) Elsie Flood.
(b) Charlie Little Dog.
(c) Dick Fool Bull.
(d) Grandpa Moore..
3. What tribe does Mary belong to?
(b) Brule or "Burned Thigh."
4. What is the name of the Seattle bar on Skid Row that the author mentions in Chapter Four?
(a) Puget Sound Cafe.
(b) Pike Place bar.
(c) Tugboat Cafe.
(d) A name isn't given.
5. How old is Mary when her mother remarries?
(a) Five or six.
(b) Nine or ten.
(c) One or two.
(d) A teenager.
6. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
7. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Reservation and non-reservation.
(b) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(c) Lakota and Dakota.
(d) Northern and Southern.
8. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
9. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
(a) White racism.
(b) Leaving the reservation.
(c) Coming to the reservation.
(d) The effect of Indian boarding schools.
10. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
(a) Ghost Dancing.
(b) Extended family group.
11. According to Mary, what family has no shortage of legends?
(a) The Horn Bears.
(b) The Crow Dogs.
(c) The Fool Bulls.
(d) The Brave Bulls.
12. What event draws groups of Native Americans from all over the country to Washington, D.C.?
(a) Pan American Pow Wow.
(b) March on Washington.
(c) Takeover at Alcatraz.
(d) Trail of Broken Treaties.
13. How does Barbara miscarry her baby at the beginning of Chapter Five?
(a) By carrying a heavy pan while working in the kitchen.
(b) Getting into a fight with her mother.
(c) Not being able to get to the hospital on time.
(d) Being in a car accident.
14. What year is AIM born?
15. When the author leaves Custer in Chapter Eight, what does the bumper sticker on her car say?
(a) Custer died for your sins.
(b) Custer was Sioux'd.
(c) Red Power.
(d) Custer had it coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
2. What is pejuta sapa, mentioned in Chapter Five?
3. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
4. Where is the Sioux peyote garden located?
5. Two Native American reservations are mentioned in Chapter One. What are they?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)