|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Government worker training.
(b) Nurse training.
(c) Teacher training.
(d) Business school training.
2. How tall is Mary?
(a) Over five foot, six inches.
(b) Under five feet.
(c) Five and a half feet.
(d) Not much over five feet tall.
3. What is the "Red Panther"?
(a) A Native American protest group.
(b) A book.
(c) A student newspaper that the author was involved in.
(d) A group of students at the boarding school.
4. What is the sacred medicine that was the Creator's gift to the Indian people?
(b) Sweet grass.
5. What does Mary spend $99.99 on in Chapter Eight?
(b) An imitation Persian rug.
(c) Asian food while in New York.
6. How many kids are in Mary's family?
7. Who is stabbed by a white man in Chapter Eight?
(a) Wesley Bad Heart Bull.
(b) Leonard Crow Dog.
(c) Barbara Brave Bird.
(d) Russ Fools Bull.
8. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Mary's birth.
(b) The first Wounded Knee.
(c) The Trail of Tears.
(d) Little Big Horn.
9. Who says, "We are the Old Indians, the landlords of this continent, coming to collect the rent"?
(a) Leonard Crow Dog.
(b) Dick Fool Bull.
(c) Dennis Banks.
(d) Mary Brave Bird.
10. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) South Dakota Public Schools.
(b) The Lakota.
(c) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(d) The BIA.
11. According to Chapter Seven, what unites the different Indian nations?
(a) Sun Dance.
(d) Vision quests.
12. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
(a) Best friend and sister-in law.
(b) Cousin and friend.
(c) Sister and acquaintance.
(d) Mother and aunt.
13. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(a) Three times.
14. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
15. What feathers are Henry Crow Dog's fan made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
2. What legislation passes in 1934 that focuses on Indian government?
3. What tribe does the late Native American activist, Richard Oakes, belong to?
4. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
5. What event leads to Mary being given the special name of Ohitika Win (Brave Woman)?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)