|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
2. Why does Mary receive 25 swats with a paddle when she is thirteen?
(a) She ran away.
(b) She held hands with a boy.
(c) She refused to go to Mass because she didn't feel well.
(d) She talked back to a nun.
3. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
(a) One of the nuns.
(b) A girl in her dorm at school.
(c) A new English teacher/priest.
(d) A boy at the school.
4. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
(a) White racism.
(b) Leaving the reservation.
(c) Coming to the reservation.
(d) The effect of Indian boarding schools.
5. How old is the author when she first drinks alcohol?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
2. What work does Grandpa Moore do?
3. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
4. What are winter counts?
5. In Chapter Four, where are you likely to see a sign that says, "No Indians and Dogs Allowed"?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)