|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter Two begins with what?
(a) Ghost Dance song.
(b) Cheyenne proverb.
(c) Hopi song.
(d) Words from a young man from Eagle Butte.
2. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
(a) Teacher training.
(b) Nurse training.
(c) Business school training.
(d) Government worker training.
3. Two Native American reservations are mentioned in Chapter One. What are they?
(a) Micmac and Pine Ridge.
(b) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(c) Navajo and Hopi.
(d) Rosebud and Navajo.
4. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) The Lakota.
(b) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(c) The BIA.
(d) South Dakota Public Schools.
5. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
(a) He-Dog is a reservation community in South Dakota.
(b) He-Dog is the woman's family name.
(c) He-Dog is a play on words revealed in the chapter.
(d) He-Dog is a store on the Pine Ridge reservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
2. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
3. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
4. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
5. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)