|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
(a) Those living in poverty.
(b) People from Pine Ridge.
(d) Elderly and children.
2. In Chapter One, what procedure is discussed that was commonly performed on Indian women without their permission?
(d) Oral surgery.
3. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
(b) Extended family group.
(d) Ghost Dancing.
4. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(b) Never tell a lie.
(c) Never to talk to a white person.
(d) Never go into white peoples' homes.
5. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
(a) Washington State.
(b) Capital of South Dakota.
(c) Washington, D.C.
(d) Wounded Knee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
2. Who repeats, "You must kill the Indian in order to save the man"?
3. What is an iyeska?
4. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
5. How long does Old Grandpa Fool Bull live?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)