|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs the boarding school while Mary attends?
(a) South Dakota Public Schools.
(b) The BIA.
(c) The Sisters of the Sacred Heart.
(d) The Lakota.
2. How many times does Mary see her birth father by Chapter Two?
(c) Three times.
3. What does Mary's grandmother tell her never to do in Chapter Two?
(a) Never to talk to a white person.
(b) Never be ashamed of where she came from.
(c) Never go into white peoples' homes.
(d) Never tell a lie.
4. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
(a) In their pocket.
(b) A beaded pouch around the neck.
(c) The heads of households had no ration cards.
(d) In a place of honor in the home.
5. Who or what does the author blame for the "Indian drinking problem"?
(c) Loss of spirituality.
(d) White men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What training does Mary's mother receive for her job?
2. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
3. Who does Mary give a bloody nose to in Chapter Three?
4. Who says, "Revenge yourself with mind power"?
5. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)