|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary's Grandpa Moore consider a feast?
(b) Deer meat.
(d) Turtle stew.
2. There are two major divisions among the Sioux. What are they?
(a) Reservation and non-reservation.
(b) Pine Ridge and Rosebud.
(c) Lakota and Dakota.
(d) Northern and Southern.
3. Who does Mary go to in order to "learn to be Indian"?
(a) Grandpa Moore.
(b) Her great aunt Mary.
(c) Crow Dogs.
(d) School friends raised traditionally.
4. In the old days, where do the heads of households keep ration cards?
(a) A beaded pouch around the neck.
(b) In their pocket.
(c) The heads of households had no ration cards.
(d) In a place of honor in the home.
5. Who is telling the story in Chapter One?
(a) Mary Brave Bird.
(b) Barbara Brave Bird.
(c) Leonard Crow Dog.
(d) Mary's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "Red Panther"?
2. What causes Mary's mother and grandmother to abandon many traditional ways?
3. Where is Mary in Chapter Four when her husband is beat up and her child is almost hit by a bullet?
4. Who are the helpless ones, according to Chapter Two?
5. In Chapter Two, the center of the old Sioux society is tiyospaye. What is tiyospaye?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)