|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three, Civilize Them with a Stick; Chapter Four, Drinking and Fighting.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter One is titled "A Woman from He-Dog." What is "He-Dog" and where do you find it?
(a) He-Dog is a store on the Pine Ridge reservation.
(b) He-Dog is a play on words revealed in the chapter.
(c) He-Dog is a reservation community in South Dakota.
(d) He-Dog is the woman's family name.
2. In Chapter Two, what happens to Mary's uncles?
(a) They catch TB and die.
(b) They are jailed.
(c) They die in infancy.
(d) They are killed by soldiers.
3. In Chapter Two, what does Mary's family make tea from?
(c) They don't have tea.
4. What historic event does Grandpa Fool Bull witness?
(a) Little Big Horn.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) Mary's birth.
(d) The first Wounded Knee.
5. What does the author call the towns of Parmelee, St. Francis, and Mission in Chapter Four?
(a) Fun towns.
(b) Redneck towns.
(c) Drunk towns.
(d) Rez towns.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, what is the author referring to when she says, "The first shock is always there"?
2. In Chapter One, the narrator speaks of two women being found dead in the snow, Annie Mae and Delphine. Who are these women to the narrator?
3. What year does the first Wounded Knee occur?
4. In Chapter Two, who raises Mary and her siblings?
5. Where are many of the nuns from at the boarding school in Chapter Three?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)