|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Erlynne fear she is lost?
2. Why have the men returned to Lord Darlington's house?
3. What is Mrs. Erlynne's excuse for Lady Windemere's fan present in Lord Darlington's rooms?
4. How does Darlington occupy himself while the others are talking?
5. What is the truth about Mrs. Erlynne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters exhibit hypocrisy in the play? Write an essay in which you explore hypocrisy on the part of:
1) Lady Windemere, 2) Mrs. Erlynne, or 3) The Duchess of Berwick.
Or, write an essay in which you explore the hypocrisy in any male character's behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of parenting in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast Lady Erlynne to the Duchess of Berwick in their roles as mothers.
2) Evaluate the efficacy of any parent in the play.
3) Consider Wilde's attitude toward the importance of parenting as it is developed throughout the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)