|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Windemere wish to see Mrs. Erlynne?
2. What gift does Mrs. Erlynne ask of Lady Windemere?
3. Lady Windemere thinks that Mrs. Erlynne is there because:
4. Dumby asks Augustus about Mrs. Erlynne's:
5. What does Windemere suggest will make Lady Windemere feel better?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Considering the motif of "good" and "bad" in Wilde's play, write an essay in which you discuss:
1) Which characters are "good" or "bad" women, 2) Which characters are "good" or "bad" men, or 3) Which characters cannot be do not qualify as either "good" or "bad."
Essay Topic 3
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
This section contains 1,434 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)