|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What admonishment does Mrs. Erlynne give Lord Windemere?
2. Augustus overlooks rumors of Mrs. Erlynne's affairs because:
3. What is the truth about Mrs. Erlynne?
4. What does Mrs. Erlynne threaten to do if Windemere reveals her secret?
5. What illusion did Mrs. Erlynne lose the previous night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Wilde's play might be defined as selfless and selfish at different times. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define any character as essentially selfless or selfish in the play, 2) Determine Wilde's message about selfless and selfish behavior in the play, or 3) Compare and contrast any two characters in the play, identifying one as selfish and the other as selfless. Be sure to use the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the development of character's motivations and attitudes over the course of the play. Write an essay in which you explore:
1) Lady Windemere as a dynamic character in the play, 2) Lady Windemere as a static character in the play, or 3) any two contrasting characters in the play, identifying one as static, the other as dynamic.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of parenting in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast Lady Erlynne to the Duchess of Berwick in their roles as mothers.
2) Evaluate the efficacy of any parent in the play.
3) Consider Wilde's attitude toward the importance of parenting as it is developed throughout the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)