|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What admonishment does Mrs. Erlynne give Lord Windemere?
2. Dumby says the youth of the present have no respect for:
3. Lady Windemere thinks that Mrs. Erlynne is there because:
4. Where is Mrs. Erlynne going?
5. Cecil Graham says he is interested in Augustus and Mrs. Erlynne because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the development of Wilde's plot over the course of the play. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify one of the acts as the most significant to the development of theme in the play.
2) Identify one of the acts as the most significant to the development of characters in the play.
3) Rank the four acts in order of general importance to the plot of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the development of character's motivations and attitudes over the course of the play. Write an essay in which you explore:
1) Lady Windemere as a dynamic character in the play, 2) Lady Windemere as a static character in the play, or 3) any two contrasting characters in the play, identifying one as static, the other as dynamic.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)