|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lady Windemere initially reject Mrs. Erlynne's advice?
2. How does Lady Erlynne know where to find Lady Windemere?
3. What is the second reason Mrs. Erlynne plans to visit Lady Windemere?
4. How does Darlington occupy himself while the others are talking?
5. Just as Lady Windemere attempts to tell her husband the truth:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters exhibit hypocrisy in the play? Write an essay in which you explore hypocrisy on the part of:
1) Lady Windemere, 2) Mrs. Erlynne, or 3) The Duchess of Berwick.
Or, write an essay in which you explore the hypocrisy in any male character's behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)