Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustus try to prevent Windemere from leaving Lord Darlington's house?
2. Augustus is happy to leave England because:
3. What does Lord Windemere assume about the presence of his wife's fan in Darlington's rooms?
4. What is Mrs. Erlynne's excuse for visiting Lady Windemere?
5. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of parenting in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast Lady Erlynne to the Duchess of Berwick in their roles as mothers.
2) Evaluate the efficacy of any parent in the play.
3) Consider Wilde's attitude toward the importance of parenting as it is developed throughout the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
Essay Topic 3
What gender roles are apparent in Wilde's play? Write an essay in which you explore:
1) Typical roles for women as they appear in the play, 2) Typical roles for men in the play, or 3) Typical expectations for married couples' behavior in the play.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)