|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lady Windemere, actions are the first tragedy in life, and:
2. Lady Windemere fears Mrs. Erlynne will:
3. Why does Windemere want to see Mrs. Erlynne before his wife does?
4. Lord Windmere begs his wife:
5. What is Mrs. Erlynne's first advice to Lady Windemere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider what Wilde's characters reveal about society and its hypocrisy in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any three acts of hypocrisy in the play, and connect them to societal norms or expectations, 2) Explore society's apparent attitude toward hypocrisy in the play, and compare it to society's hypocrisy now, or 3) Explain Wilde's emphasis on hypocrisy in the play, and determine how it contributes to his theme.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters exhibit hypocrisy in the play? Write an essay in which you explore hypocrisy on the part of:
1) Lady Windemere, 2) Mrs. Erlynne, or 3) The Duchess of Berwick.
Or, write an essay in which you explore the hypocrisy in any male character's behavior.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)