|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lord Darlington forbid Windemere to search his rooms?
2. Why does Darlington say he is not one of Mrs. Erlynne's admirers?
3. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
4. After Mrs. Erlynne's long speech, Lady Windemere begs:
5. Augustus overlooks rumors of Mrs. Erlynne's affairs because:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Wilde's play might be defined as selfless and selfish at different times. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define any character as essentially selfless or selfish in the play, 2) Determine Wilde's message about selfless and selfish behavior in the play, or 3) Compare and contrast any two characters in the play, identifying one as selfish and the other as selfless. Be sure to use the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the motif of loyalty explored in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define at least three characters as loyal or disloyal, 2) Explore Wilde's message about loyalty in the play, or 3) Explore one character's actions and describe them as either loyal or disloyal.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)