|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Windemere claims that people do not rule life, but rather:
2. Why does Darlington say he is not one of Mrs. Erlynne's admirers?
3. What does Lady Windemere threaten?
4. When Lady Windemere hears the men's voices, she cries:
5. Mrs. Erlynne gets Augustus to escort her by:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Consider what Wilde's characters reveal about society and its hypocrisy in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any three acts of hypocrisy in the play, and connect them to societal norms or expectations, 2) Explore society's apparent attitude toward hypocrisy in the play, and compare it to society's hypocrisy now, or 3) Explain Wilde's emphasis on hypocrisy in the play, and determine how it contributes to his theme.
Essay Topic 3
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)