|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Windemere feels that if her husband truly loved her:
2. Why does Lord Darlington forbid Windemere to search his rooms?
3. Why does Augustus try to prevent Windemere from leaving Lord Darlington's house?
4. Mrs. Erlynne claims she knows what it is to be:
5. What has Lady Windemere learned about temptation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of Lady Windemere's Fan in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Discuss the significance of the fan to the development of plot in the play.
2) Discuss the significance of the fan to the development of theme in the play.
3) Discuss the significance of the fan to the relationship between Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)