Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augustus try to prevent Windemere from leaving Lord Darlington's house?
2. Augustus is happy to leave England because:
3. What does Lord Windemere assume about the presence of his wife's fan in Darlington's rooms?
4. What is Mrs. Erlynne's excuse for visiting Lady Windemere?
5. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
Consider Lord Darlington's statement that "[he] can resist anything but temptation." Write an essay in which you explore:
1) the statement's significance to the characterization of Lord Darlington
2) The statement's effect on Lady Windemere and her later actions
3) The statement's relevance to the events of the message of the play.
Characters in Wilde's play might be defined as selfless and selfish at different times. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define any character as essentially selfless or selfish in the play, 2) Determine Wilde's message about selfless and selfish behavior in the play, or 3) Compare and contrast any two characters in the play, identifying one as selfish and the other as selfless. Be sure to use the text to support your argument.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)