|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why have the men returned to Lord Darlington's house?
2. Cecil Graham says he is interested in Augustus and Mrs. Erlynne because:
3. It is clear that Lady Windemere:
4. What name do Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne share?
5. What admonishment does Mrs. Erlynne give Lord Windemere?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider what Wilde's characters reveal about society and its hypocrisy in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any three acts of hypocrisy in the play, and connect them to societal norms or expectations, 2) Explore society's apparent attitude toward hypocrisy in the play, and compare it to society's hypocrisy now, or 3) Explain Wilde's emphasis on hypocrisy in the play, and determine how it contributes to his theme.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)