|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Windemere want to see Mrs. Erlynne before his wife does?
2. Who appears to be asleep during the men's conversation?
3. Lady Windemere feels it is her duty to:
4. Cecil Graham says he is interested in Augustus and Mrs. Erlynne because:
5. After Mrs. Erlynne's long speech, Lady Windemere begs:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of parenting in the play. Write an essay in which you:
1) Compare and contrast Lady Erlynne to the Duchess of Berwick in their roles as mothers.
2) Evaluate the efficacy of any parent in the play.
3) Consider Wilde's attitude toward the importance of parenting as it is developed throughout the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Considering the motif of "good" and "bad" in Wilde's play, write an essay in which you discuss:
1) Which characters are "good" or "bad" women, 2) Which characters are "good" or "bad" men, or 3) Which characters cannot be do not qualify as either "good" or "bad."
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)