|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who continues to tease Augustus?
2. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
3. Lady Windemere does not believe that the letter destroyed:
4. Lady Windemere claims that people do not rule life, but rather:
5. What is Mrs. Erlynne's excuse for Lady Windemere's fan present in Lord Darlington's rooms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role gossip plays in the development of plot in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Discuss the significance of gossip to the events of the four acts, 2) Explore Wilde's message about gossip, referring to specific incidents in the play, or 3) Identify three examples of gossip in the play that directly relate to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)