|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dumby consider a woman who understands one a dangerous thing?
2. What illusion did Mrs. Erlynne lose the previous night?
3. Who appears to be asleep during the men's conversation?
4. Why does Lady Windemere wish to see Mrs. Erlynne?
5. What does Windemere suggest will make Lady Windemere feel better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the marriages apparent in Lady Windemere's Fan.
1) Write an essay in which you compare the nature of any two marriages.
2) Write an essay in which you define any marriage in the play as healthy or unhealthy.
3) Write an essay in which you anticipate the success of Lady Erlynne's marriage to Augustus, or Lady Agatha's marriage to Hopper.
Be sure to use examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
What gender roles are apparent in Wilde's play? Write an essay in which you explore:
1) Typical roles for women as they appear in the play, 2) Typical roles for men in the play, or 3) Typical expectations for married couples' behavior in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Wilde's play considers many societal rules as it progresses. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify three societal rules apparent in Lady Windemere's Fan, and discuss their significance to the play.
2) Discuss Wilde's message about societal rules as the play progresses.
3) Identify three societal rules apparent in the play that are or are not still applicable today.
Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)