|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Windemere has always thought her mother:
2. What is Mrs. Erlynne's first advice to Lady Windemere?
3. What made Cecil Graham admire Mrs. Erlynne?
4. How does Darlington occupy himself while the others are talking?
5. What is Lady Windemere doing at the start of the act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters in Wilde's play might be defined as selfless and selfish at different times. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define any character as essentially selfless or selfish in the play, 2) Determine Wilde's message about selfless and selfish behavior in the play, or 3) Compare and contrast any two characters in the play, identifying one as selfish and the other as selfless. Be sure to use the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde's play includes many supporting characters. Write an essay in which you:
1) Explain the significance of any supporting character to the development of Wilde's theme.
2) Rank three supporting characters in order of their relevance to plot development.
3) Explore the characterization of Cecil Graham, Lord Augustus, or Lady Plymdale, and explain the contribution the character makes to the events of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Consider what Wilde's characters reveal about society and its hypocrisy in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any three acts of hypocrisy in the play, and connect them to societal norms or expectations, 2) Explore society's apparent attitude toward hypocrisy in the play, and compare it to society's hypocrisy now, or 3) Explain Wilde's emphasis on hypocrisy in the play, and determine how it contributes to his theme.
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)