|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Augustus overlooks rumors of Mrs. Erlynne's affairs because:
2. Lady Windemere feels that if her husband truly loved her:
3. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
4. What does Lord Windemere say about his wife and Mrs. Erlynne?
5. Why does Mrs. Erlynne fear she is lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
Wilde's play considers many societal rules as it progresses. Write an essay in which you:
1) Identify three societal rules apparent in Lady Windemere's Fan, and discuss their significance to the play.
2) Discuss Wilde's message about societal rules as the play progresses.
3) Identify three societal rules apparent in the play that are or are not still applicable today.
Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Lord Darlington's statement that "[he] can resist anything but temptation." Write an essay in which you explore:
1) the statement's significance to the characterization of Lord Darlington
2) The statement's effect on Lady Windemere and her later actions
3) The statement's relevance to the events of the message of the play.
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)