|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second reason Mrs. Erlynne plans to visit Lady Windemere?
2. Why is Mrs. Erlynne disgraced before everyone?
3. What made Cecil Graham admire Mrs. Erlynne?
4. Why does Lord Darlington forbid Windemere to search his rooms?
5. When Lady Windemere hears the men's voices, she cries:
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider what Wilde's characters reveal about society and its hypocrisy in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify any three acts of hypocrisy in the play, and connect them to societal norms or expectations, 2) Explore society's apparent attitude toward hypocrisy in the play, and compare it to society's hypocrisy now, or 3) Explain Wilde's emphasis on hypocrisy in the play, and determine how it contributes to his theme.
Essay Topic 2
Characters in Wilde's play might be defined as selfless and selfish at different times. Write an essay in which you:
1) Define any character as essentially selfless or selfish in the play, 2) Determine Wilde's message about selfless and selfish behavior in the play, or 3) Compare and contrast any two characters in the play, identifying one as selfish and the other as selfless. Be sure to use the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the development of Wilde's plot over the course of the play. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Identify one of the acts as the most significant to the development of theme in the play.
2) Identify one of the acts as the most significant to the development of characters in the play.
3) Rank the four acts in order of general importance to the plot of the play.
Use examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)