|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Duchess describes Mrs. Erlynne as:
2. The Duchess carefully edits:
3. Lord Darlington claims be pretends to be bad because if you pretend to be good:
4. Almost every guest at the party exhibits some form of:
5. Why does Mrs. Erlynne need Windemere's help with Augustus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duchess claim to feel totally secure at the Windemeres' house?
2. Why does Darlington pretend to be "bad?"
3. Why does Windemere call Mrs. Erlynne a dangerous woman?
4. Why does Windemere say he wishes Mrs. Erlynne would have revealed her secret?
5. Why does the Duchess continually send her daughter out of earshot during this Act?
6. What do Mrs. Erlynne's exchanges with the male characters reveal about her character?
7. Why does Lady Windemere plan to accept Lord Darlington's declaration of love?
8. What does Lady Windmere fear at the start of the scene?
9. Why, according to Mrs. Erlynne, should Lady Windemere stay with her husband no matter what she suffers?
10. What do Dumby's opening remarks reveal about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role gossip plays in the development of plot in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Discuss the significance of gossip to the events of the four acts, 2) Explore Wilde's message about gossip, referring to specific incidents in the play, or 3) Identify three examples of gossip in the play that directly relate to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Wilde describes the setting of the play as "The Present." Write an essay in which you:
1) Explore Wilde's possible motivations for setting his play in the present, 2) Evaluate which of Wilde's motifs or themes are appropriate to the present as we know it, or 3) Identify a time period more appropriate to Wilde's play. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of character foils in Lady Windemere's Fan. Write an essay considering one of the following questions:
1) How do the character foils influence the events of the plot?
2) How do Lord Windemere and Lord Darlington function as character foils for one another?
3) Are Lady Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne truly character foils? Why or why not?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)