Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lady Windemere believes that every "good" woman in London would:
2. What does Mrs. Erlynne tell Lord Windemere about the letter he finds?
3. Lord Windemere claims that Lady Windemere's refusal to accept Mrs. Erlynne will:
4. What has occurred between Hopper and Agatha?
5. Why does Lady Windemere claim to be upset with Lord Darlington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What truth has Lady Windemere discovered about her husband and Mrs. Erlynne?
2. Why does Lady Windemere think her husband has arrived at Darlington's?
3. Why does Lady Windemere warn Darlington about his flattering statements?
4. Why does Lady Plymdale claim Lord Windemere should not spend too much time talking to his wife?
5. Why does Mrs. Erlynne ask Windemere for money?
6. What does Lady Windemere discover about the photograph of herself with her son, and why is it significant?
7. What reasons does the Duchess have for fearing or disliking Lady Erlynne?
8. Why is the Duchess so interested in Lady Agatha's dance card?
9. What is Mrs. Erlynne's opinion of the party guests?
10. Why does Lady Windemere plan to accept Lord Darlington's declaration of love?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you explore the nature of relationships in Wilde's play. Consider one of the following topics:
1) How do current couples compare in behavior and expectation to the couples in Wilde's play?
2) Have marriage relationships and expectations changed since Wilde's play was first published? Why or Why not?
3) How does the play reflect "present" attitudes about relationships between men and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role gossip plays in the development of plot in Lady Windemere's Fan. Then write an essay in which you:
1) Discuss the significance of gossip to the events of the four acts, 2) Explore Wilde's message about gossip, referring to specific incidents in the play, or 3) Identify three examples of gossip in the play that directly relate to the development of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the marriages apparent in Lady Windemere's Fan.
1) Write an essay in which you compare the nature of any two marriages.
2) Write an essay in which you define any marriage in the play as healthy or unhealthy.
3) Write an essay in which you anticipate the success of Lady Erlynne's marriage to Augustus, or Lady Agatha's marriage to Hopper.
Be sure to use examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,909 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)