|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Erlynne claims to need help with introductions to the:
(a) Wives of men she knows.
(b) Married guests.
(c) Male guests only.
(d) Female guests only.
2. In Act 2 the audience learns:
(a) Why Mrs. Erlynne wishes to leave England.
(b) Why Mrs. Erlynne has no female friends.
(c) Why Mrs. Erlynne despises her daughter.
(d) Why Mrs. Erlynne left her family.
3. Lady Windemere:
(a) Does not believe Mrs. Erylnne exists.
(b) Knows Mrs. Erlynne is her mother.
(c) Has never heard of Mrs. Erlynne.
(d) Has suspected her husband of having an affair.
4. Lord Darlington uses a hypothetical situation about a married man having an affair in order to:
(a) Tell Lady Windemere he himself is being unfaithful to his wife.
(b) Tell Lady Windemere her husband is unfaithful.
(c) Tell Lady Windemere that she is too much of a Puritan.
(d) Tell Lady Windemere that he knows she is having an affair.
5. The Duchess tells Lady Windemere that her husband will:
(a) Come back to her slightly damaged.
(b) Never return to her.
(c) Come back to her because he loves her.
(d) Come back to her happy and fulfilled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Augustus asks:
2. Lady Windemere threatens her husband with:
3. Lady Windemere does not approve of Darlington's flattery because she believes he is:
4. What does Lady Windemere believe about women who have committed adultery?
5. Where does Act 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Duchess of Berwick's character.
2. What do all the men assume about Mrs. Erlynne's presence in Darlington's rooms?
3. What does Augustus reveal when he re-enters?
4. How is Mrs. Erlynne a "useful" woman, as Lady Plymdale claims?
5. What suggestion does the Duchess have for Lady Windemere's problem with her husband?
6. What is Dumby's attitude about marriage?
7. What concerns the Duchess about Hopper's proposal to her daughter?
8. What is the Duchess' attitude about marital infidelity on the part of men?
9. What is Cecil Graham's attitude about women?
10. What is Lady Windemere's response to her husband's suggestion that evil has never entered her world?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)