|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lady Windemere believe about her mother?
(a) That she would some day return for Lady Windemere.
(b) That she left Lady Windemere's father for another man.
(c) That she died when Lady Windemere was a child.
(d) That she was not stern enough.
2. Who overhears the discussion between Windemere and Mrs. Erlynne?
(b) Lady Windemere.
(c) Lord Darlington.
(d) The Duchess.
3. How does Mrs. Erlynne find the letter Lady Windemere left behind?
(a) Mrs. Erlynne finds it on the table.
(b) Parker throws it at her.
(c) Parker tells her about it.
(d) Mrs. Erlynne searches the room for it.
4. Why does Mrs. Erlynne need Windemere's help with Augustus?
(a) She needs money to get out of town.
(b) She needs Windemere to walk her down the aisle.
(c) She needs Windemere to encourage Augustus to propose.
(d) She needs money for the marriage settlement.
5. When Lord Darlington learns it is Lady Windemere's birthday, he says:
(a) He would have given her a better gift than her husband did.
(b) He would have covered the whole street in gold for her.
(c) He would have covered the whole street with flowers for her.
(d) He would have bought her anything she wanted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Erlynne discover in the letter Lady Windemere leaves for her husband?
2. Lady Plymdale wants her husband to meet Mrs. Erlynne so that:
3. Who is Lady Windemere's first caller?
4. Where does Act 1 take place?
5. The Duchess tells Lady Windemere that her husband will:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Duchess of Berwick's character.
2. What do Mrs. Erlynne's exchanges with the male characters reveal about her character?
3. Why does Windemere feel that Lady Windemere will cause the family shame if she insults Mrs. Erlynne publicly?
4. What does Mrs. Erlynne have to say about the fogs of London, and what does she mean?
5. What is Lady Erlynne's plan for "saving" her daughter at the end of Act 2?
6. Why does the Duchess continually send her daughter out of earshot during this Act?
7. What concerns the Duchess about Hopper's proposal to her daughter?
8. What reasons does the Duchess have for fearing or disliking Lady Erlynne?
9. Why might Lady Windemere announce that she is available to all visitors when Parker tells her Darlington has come to call?
10. Why does Windemere call Mrs. Erlynne a dangerous woman?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)