|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lady Windemere initially reject Mrs. Erlynne's advice?
(a) Her pride is wounded because she still believes her husband has had an affair.
(b) Her pride is wounded because her mother has abandoned her.
(c) She knows Mrs. Erlynne wants Darlington for herself.
(d) She knows Mrs. Erlynne is trying to trick her into making a mistake.
2. Why does Augustus try to prevent Windemere from leaving Lord Darlington's house?
(a) Augustus wants Windemere to find his wife's fan.
(b) Augustus wants Darlington to have time to escape with Lady Windemere.
(c) Windemere is still too angry at his wife to behave himself.
(d) Mrs. Erlynne has asked Augustus to detain Windemere as long as possible.
3. What does Mrs. Erlynne threaten to do if Windemere reveals her secret?
(a) She will scandalize herself.
(b) She will divorce Augustus.
(c) She will leave town immediately.
(d) She will reveal their affair to Lady Windemere.
4. Lady Windemere claims she will not return to her husband because:
(a) She is too ashamed of her own behavior.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She loves Darlington.
(d) She is too proud to accept his apologies.
5. What does Lord Windemere say about his wife and Mrs. Erlynne?
(a) That his wife is never to leave him again.
(b) That his wife is to call on her immediately.
(c) That his wife is never to see her again.
(d) That his wife must forgive her actions.
6. What is the second reason Mrs. Erlynne plans to visit Lady Windemere?
(a) To say goodbye.
(b) To confront Lord Windemere.
(c) To tell her the truth.
(d) To beg forgiveness.
7. What time did Windemere arrive home that night?
(a) Two a.m.
(b) Ten-thirty p.m.
(c) Five a.m.
8. Who is the one person Lady Windemere must see before she leaves town?
(a) Lord Darlington.
(b) Mrs. Erlynne.
(c) The Duchess.
(d) Lady Agatha.
9. Lady Windemere feels that if her husband truly loved her:
(a) He would have apologized for the affair.
(b) He would have come for her, having read her letter.
(c) He would have challenged Darlington to a duel.
(d) He would have thrown Mrs. Erlynne out of the house.
10. What is ironic about Mrs. Erlynne's public disgrace?
(a) Mrs. Erlynne would have disgraced Lady Windemere first.
(b) Lady Windemere would have disgraced Mrs. Erlynne, but Mrs. Erlynne saved her.
(c) Lady Windemere tried to disgrace her at Lord Darlington's.
(d) Mrs. Erlynne disgraced herself by trying to disgrace Lady Windemere.
11. Why is Mrs. Erlynne disgraced before everyone?
(a) She is not Lady Windemere's mother.
(b) She was found in a man's rooms after leaving the party.
(c) She was married once before.
(d) She is penniless.
12. Mrs. Erlynne claims she knows what it is to be:
(a) A leper.
(b) A whore.
(c) An outcast.
(d) A dog.
13. Who continues to tease Augustus?
(a) Lord Windemere.
(c) Cecil Graham.
(d) Lord Darlington.
14. What is Augustus' reaction to Mrs. Erlynne's presence in Lord Darlington's rooms?
(a) He confronts Mrs. Erlynne angrily.
(b) He looks at Mrs. Erlynne in disgust.
(c) He embraces Mrs. Erlynne.
(d) He turns away from Mrs. Erlynne.
15. What does Lord Windemere assume about the presence of his wife's fan in Darlington's rooms?
(a) He assumes Mrs. Erlynne is hiding in Darlington's rooms.
(b) He assumes his wife has gone home to rest.
(c) He assumes his wife has found out about his affair.
(d) He assumes his wife is hiding in Darlington's rooms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecil Graham want to show Lord Windemere?
2. Augustus overlooks rumors of Mrs. Erlynne's affairs because:
3. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
4. Lady Windemere begins to tell her husband the truth about the previous night because:
5. According to Lady Windemere, actions are the first tragedy in life, and:
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)