|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cecil Graham claims that Augustus cannot talk about anything but:
(a) Mrs. Erlynne.
(b) Lady Plymdale.
(c) Lady Agatha.
(d) Lady Windemere.
2. What does Mrs. Erlynne claim to dislike about London?
(a) The fogs.
(b) The rain.
(c) The cold.
(d) The heat.
3. Dumby says the youth of the present have no respect for:
(a) Dyed hair.
4. What stops Mrs. Erlynne and Lady Windemere from leaving Lord Darlington's house?
(a) They hear Windemere searching the house.
(b) They hear Windemere and Darlington fighting.
(c) They hear the men returning.
(d) They hear Lord Darlington sobbing.
5. Augustus believes Mrs. Erlynne will marry him despite:
(a) Knowing he is a fool.
(b) Knowing he does not love her.
(c) Knowing she is Lady Windemere's mother.
(d) Knowing he has no money.
6. How does Lady Windemere describe Mrs. Erlynne at the end of the play?
(a) As a very clever woman.
(b) As a woman of principles.
(c) As a very good woman.
(d) As an infamous woman.
7. Lady Windemere has always thought her mother:
(a) Ran away with another man.
(b) Was living abroad.
(c) Was dead.
(d) Did not love her.
8. What does Mrs. Erlynne threaten to do if Windemere reveals her secret?
(a) She will reveal their affair to Lady Windemere.
(b) She will divorce Augustus.
(c) She will scandalize herself.
(d) She will leave town immediately.
9. Lady Windemere does not believe that the letter destroyed:
(a) Was not shown to her husband.
(b) Was actually her letter.
(c) Was actually thrown into the fire.
(d) Was in her handwriting.
10. Why does Lord Windemere believe Mrs. Erlynne has returned to find her daughter?
(a) She learned her daughter had a son.
(b) She learned her daughter had married a rich man.
(c) She learned her daughter had run away with another man.
(d) She learned her daughter knew she was alive.
11. Why does Lady Windemere regret her decision to go to Darlington's house?
(a) She regrets repeating her mother's mistakes.
(b) She still loves her husband and wants to return to him.
(c) She does not want her husband to punish her.
(d) She regrets leaving her child.
12. What is Augustus' reaction to Mrs. Erlynne's presence in Lord Darlington's rooms?
(a) He embraces Mrs. Erlynne.
(b) He confronts Mrs. Erlynne angrily.
(c) He turns away from Mrs. Erlynne.
(d) He looks at Mrs. Erlynne in disgust.
13. If Lady Windemere will return to her husband, Mrs. Erlynne promises:
(a) Marry Augustus and leave town.
(b) To be better mother to her daughter.
(c) Never to communicate with him again.
(d) Never to reveal her affair with Darlington.
14. After Mrs. Erlynne's long speech, Lady Windemere begs:
(a) Take me away from England!
(b) Leave my husband alone!
(c) Take me home!
(d) Leave me alone!
15. Why does Dumby consider a woman who understands one a dangerous thing?
(a) Because one will never be entirely happy.
(b) Because one will always have to explain themselves.
(c) Because one will never be able to hide anything.
(d) Because they will always end up marrying one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Erlynne claims that her purpose in coming to Lord Darlington's house is:
2. What has Lady Windemere learned about temptation?
3. According to Mrs. Erlynne, love is:
4. Who continues to tease Augustus?
5. Before she leaves, Mrs. Erlynne asks for:
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)