|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Windemere claims she never:
(b) Gives in.
(c) Cheats on her husband.
2. Lord Darlington claims he can resist everything but:
3. What excuse did the Duchess use to get her husband out of town when she suspected he was having an affair?
(a) She pretended to be very angry.
(b) She pretended to be very ill.
(c) She pretended she needed to go home to her family.
(d) She pretended to have an affair.
4. What does Lady Windemere decide after her husband exits with Mrs. Erlynne?
(a) She decides to publicly shame Mrs. Erlynne.
(b) She decides to confront her husband.
(c) She decides to run away with Lord Darlington.
(d) She decides to forget the whole episode.
5. The duchess believes that scandal in men:
(a) Denies them access to good wives.
(b) Does not happen.
(c) Prevents them from acceptability.
(d) Does not matter.
6. Why does Lady Windemere turn down Lady Jedburgh's lunch invitation?
(a) She suspects Lord Windemere of having an affair with Lady Jedburgh.
(b) She learns that Lord Windemere will be present.
(c) She learns that Mrs. Erlynne will be present.
(d) She learns that Darlington will be present.
7. Why doesn't Lord Windemere explain his reasons for spending time with Mrs. Erlynne?
(a) He cannot reveal that she is Lady Windemere's mother.
(b) He cannot reveal that she is his mistress.
(c) He has no honorable reasons for spending time with her.
(d) He cannot bear to face the truth of his actions.
8. The Duchess describes Mrs. Erlynne as:
(a) That horrid woman.
(b) The other woman.
(c) That fascinating woman.
(d) The next Mrs. Windemere.
9. Lady Windemere believes she lives in a "bad" age because:
(a) People look on life as a speculation.
(b) People look on life as a stipulation.
(c) People look on life as a superstition.
(d) People look on life as a sacrifice.
10. Confronted by Lady Windemere, Lord Darlington claims:
(a) He pays her compliments because they are all he can afford.
(b) He compliments other women in order to make her jealous.
(c) He ignores her because she is cruel to him.
(d) He visits her because he fears she is in need of a friend.
11. Lord Darlington believes people are either:
(a) Good or bad.
(b) Honest or dishonest.
(c) Striking or common.
(d) Charming or tedious.
12. What favor does Mrs. Erlynne ask of Augustus?
(a) She asks him to keep Windemere out all night.
(b) She asks him to avoid Windemere.
(c) She asks him to deliver Lady Windermer's letter to her husband.
(d) She asks him to keep Lady Windmere out all night.
13. The Duchess carefully edits:
(a) Agatha's dance card.
(b) Lady Windemere's letter to her husband.
(c) Lady Windemere's guest list.
(d) Hopper's proposal to Agatha.
14. What is probably true of Mrs. Erlynne's past?
(a) She left her husband when he had an affair, and she too wrote a letter.
(b) She wrote her daughter a letter to tell her the truth about her father.
(c) She wrote a letter to Lord Windemere telling him the whole truth about her past.
(d) She deserted her husband for Lord Windemere, and wrote him a letter about it.
15. Mrs. Erlynne claims that when men give up saying what is charming, they:
(a) Give up flattering other women.
(b) Give up on romance.
(c) Give up thinking what is charming.
(d) Give up saying what is true as well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Hopper is from:
2. What does Mrs. Erlynne tell Lord Windemere about the letter he finds?
3. What does Lady Windemere believe about women who have committed adultery?
4. Where does Act 1 take place?
5. What word does Lady Windemere use to describe people who have extramarital affairs?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)