|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lady Windemere believes that every "good" woman in London would:
(a) Condemn her for refusing to invite Mrs. Erlynne to the ball.
(b) Be horrified by Lord Windemere's behavior.
(c) Join with her in refusing to accept Mrs. Erlynne in society.
(d) Applaud her for refusing to invite Mrs. Erlynne to the ball.
2. What does Mrs. Erlynne tell Lord Windemere about the letter he finds?
(a) She tells him it is a refusal to Augustus' marriage proposal.
(b) She tells him it is a check.
(c) She tells him it is a letter he should never read.
(d) She tells him it is only an address.
3. Lord Windemere claims that Lady Windemere's refusal to accept Mrs. Erlynne will:
(a) End their marriage.
(b) Destroy their chance of being accepted by Mrs. Erlynne.
(c) Ruin Mrs. Erlynne.
(d) Ruin them.
4. What has occurred between Hopper and Agatha?
(a) Hopper has left Agatha for Mrs. Erlynne.
(b) Hopper has proposed to Agatha.
(c) Hopper will leave for Australia since Agatha will not marry him.
(d) Their affair has been found out.
5. Why does Lady Windemere claim to be upset with Lord Darlington?
(a) He annoys her by paying her elaborate compliments.
(b) He annoys her by ignoring her in public.
(c) He annoys her by paying attention to other women.
(d) He annoys her by buying her expensive gifts.
6. Where does Act 1 take place?
(a) In the breakfast room at Lord Darlington's house.
(b) In the ball room at Lord Darlington's house.
(c) In the morning room of Lord Windemere's house.
(d) In the ball room at Lord Windemere's house.
7. The Duchess carefully edits:
(a) Lady Windemere's letter to her husband.
(b) Lady Windemere's guest list.
(c) Hopper's proposal to Agatha.
(d) Agatha's dance card.
8. Why does Lord Darlington say he wants Lady Windemere to take him seriously?
(a) He wants to be her friend in case her husband leaves her.
(b) He wants to be her friend in case he falls in love with her.
(c) He wants to be her friend in case she needs one some day.
(d) He wants her to be friends with Lord Windemere.
9. Lady Plymdale wants her husband to meet Mrs. Erlynne so that:
(a) He will pay attention to Mrs. Erlynne instead of her.
(b) He will pay attention to his own wife again.
(c) He will deny her admittance to society.
(d) He will confirm that she is an unacceptable woman.
10. The Duchess first heard the rumor about Lord Windemere from:
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her daughters.
(c) Her nieces.
(d) Her husband.
11. How does Lord Windemere discover the letter his wife has written?
(a) He discovers it in the trash.
(b) Mrs. Erlynne shows it to him.
(c) Mrs. Erlynne drops it.
(d) He discovers it burning in the fireplace.
12. Why is Lord Augustus worried about Mrs. Erlynne?
(a) He fears she will never be accepted into society.
(b) He fears she will marry Lord Windemere.
(c) He fears she will not marry him.
(d) He fears she will never be alone with him.
13. Lady Windemere believes she lives in a "bad" age because:
(a) People look on life as a speculation.
(b) People look on life as a sacrifice.
(c) People look on life as a superstition.
(d) People look on life as a stipulation.
14. What does Lord Windemere do when Lady Windemere refuses to invite Mrs. Erlynne to the ball?
(a) He confesses he is in love with Mrs. Erlynne.
(b) He invites her himself.
(c) He writes her a note of apology.
(d) He accepts Lady Windemere's decision.
15. Lord Augustus is to call on Mrs. Erlynne in order to:
(a) Turn her down.
(b) Drive her out of town.
(d) Discourage her interest in Windemere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before she leaves, Lady Windemere:
2. What excuse did the Duchess use to get her husband out of town when she suspected he was having an affair?
3. By the end of Act 2, most of the female characters:
4. What is occurring at the start of Act 2?
5. One might describe the Duchess' attitude about her husband's infidelity as:
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)