Objective: Students will consider the characterization of Lady Windemere, Lord Darlington, Lord Windemere, and the Duchess of Berwick in Act 1.
1) In small groups, students will discuss the characterization of any one character present in Act 1, citing examples that contribute to characterization. Small groups will share their ideas with the whole class.
2) As a whole group, students will list characteristics of each major character on the board. Reviewing these lists, students will discuss the significance of each characteristic to the character in question.
3) Individually, students will write a paragraph describing any one character based on evidence found in Act 1. Students will share these paragraphs aloud, contributing to a whole-class discussion.
4) For homework, students will write a one page journal describing any character in Act 1 and anticipating his or her significance to the main conflict of the play.
5) For homework, students will write a one page paper discussing whether...
This section contains 5,788 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)