|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color eyes does Dmitri remark that Anna has?
2. Where is the site of Gurov's vacation home?
3. What is the first thing Anna says to Gurov?
4. Whom does Anna say she has deceived in Chapter 2?
5. How does Gurov describe his wife's sense of grace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
2. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
3. What does Gurov regard the life he leads in open view to be?
4. How is Anna different than the other women Gurov has made love to?
5. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
6. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
7. Where do Anna and Gurov go in the beginning of Chapter 2? Why?
8. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
9. How has Anna come to feel toward Gurov in Chapter 4?
10. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novella. What is the meaning behind the term, "Chekhov's Gun?" How does this apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main characters in the story. How are they similar? How are they different? What about their settings set them apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)