|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Anna been in Yalta when she and Gurov first speak?
2. How long has Anna been living in her current town in Chapter 1?
3. How long has Gurov been in town at the beginning of the novella?
4. Where does Gurov work?
5. How tall is Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurov see in the negligees of women he's lost interest in? Why?
2. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
3. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
4. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
5. Describe the people arriving on the pier in Chapter 2. How are they dressed?
6. What does Gurov do while Anna is crying in Chapter 4? What is this a near repetition of in the novella?
7. Describe how Anna and Gurov meet in Chapter 1.
8. What does Anna's house look like? Describe the fence surrounding it and how Gurov regards it.
9. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
10. Where does Gurov live? What is his profession and education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main characters in the story. How are they similar? How are they different? What about their settings set them apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)