|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity do Gurov and Anna regularly do together late, near the end of Chapter 2?
2. How do Anna and Gurov travel in Chapter 2 on their way out of town?
3. Whom does Anna say she has deceived in Chapter 2?
4. How many children does Anna have?
5. How does Dmitri refer to women in general?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
2. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
3. Describe Anna's room in Chapter 2. What does it smell like? How large is it?
4. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
5. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
6. What does Anna's house look like? Describe the fence surrounding it and how Gurov regards it.
7. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
8. What does Gurov do once the travelers have dispersed in Chapter 2? How does Anna react?
9. What does Gurov dwell upon regarding his "double life" in Chapter 4?
10. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Slice of Life" realism. What does this term mean? How does it apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)