|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the middle-aged women dress who come off the steamer in Chapter 2?
2. Where do Gurov and Anna go to watch the arrival of the steamer?
3. Who does the protagonist regard as irresolute and "hard to rouse"?
4. What do Anna's features do following making love with Gurov?
5. What color hair does Gurov's wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
2. Discuss how Gurov feels about women in The Lady with the Pet Dog.
3. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
4. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
5. What is Anna's surname? What kind of name is it? How does Anna explain this?
6. Describe the external characteristics of Gurov (age, marital status, appearance, etc.).
7. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
8. Describe the hotel room Gurov stays in in Chapter 3.
9. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
10. What is it about Gurov that attracts the opposite sex, as described in the text?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 3
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)