|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Anna have?
2. What color hair does Gurov's wife have?
3. Where does Gurov suggest they go after kissing Anna by the steamer?
4. What activity do Gurov and Anna regularly do together late, near the end of Chapter 2?
5. How much time has passed between Chapter 1 and Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
2. What does Gurov see in the negligees of women he's lost interest in? Why?
3. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
4. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
5. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
7. What does Gurov regard the life he leads in open view to be?
8. Describe the lifestyle that Gurov leads while living in the city.
9. Why does Gurov not come the night before to see Anna in Chapter 4?
10. What is Anna's surname? What kind of name is it? How does Anna explain this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and motif in The Lady with the Pet Dog. What is the prominent motif which is expressed in the text? What does it represent? How does it connect to the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Slice of Life" realism. What does this term mean? How does it apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)