|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gurov and Anna go to watch the arrival of the steamer?
2. At the end of Chapter 2, the narrator remarks that there was a whiff of what in the air?
3. Where does Gurov work?
4. How do the middle-aged women dress who come off the steamer in Chapter 2?
5. What does Anna tell Gurov that she hates in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Anna come to feel toward Gurov in Chapter 4?
2. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
3. How is Anna different than the other women Gurov has made love to?
4. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Anna's husband not arrive? What does his letter say?
6. What does Gurov regard the life he leads in open view to be?
7. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
8. Where does Gurov finally find Anna? What happens when he approaches her?
9. How does Anna describe her husband in Chapter 2? How old was she when she married?
10. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation which Gurov undergoes in the course of the novella. How is this transformation the basis of the structural components of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the descriptions of the main characters' spouses. How is Gurov's wife similar or different than Anna's husband? How are the main characters' feelings about their spouses similar or different?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)