|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Gurov been in town at the beginning of the novella?
2. What does the dog do in Chapter 1 when Gurov shakes his finger at it?
3. How long has Anna been living in her current town in Chapter 1?
4. How old is Gurov?
5. Where was Anna's husband's grandfather from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gurov judge the lives of others as told in Chapter 4?
2. Describe how Gurov's wife views herself. What does she like to refer to herself as?
3. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
4. Why does Gurov not come the night before to see Anna in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
6. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
7. What does Gurov do once the travelers have dispersed in Chapter 2? How does Anna react?
8. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
9. Describe the simile used in Chapter 4 used to reflect Anna and Gurov.
10. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Chekhov's plot structure deviates from traditional plot structure in literature. Define "rising action," "climax," and "falling action," and explain how these differ from a typical plot line.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)