|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna point out before she and Gurov go back to the hotel in Chapter 2?
2. How many houses does Gurov own in Moscow?
3. How many children does Anna have?
4. What time of day does the steamer arrive in Chapter 2?
5. What does Anna take no time in doing after the letter from her husband arrives in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Gurov not come the night before to see Anna in Chapter 4?
3. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
4. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
5. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
6. How has Anna come to feel toward Gurov in Chapter 4?
7. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
8. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
9. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
10. What is Anna's surname? What kind of name is it? How does Anna explain this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Adultery" as it is presented in the text. What are the characters' feelings regarding adultery? How does this thematically interact with the other themes of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
Essay Topic 3
Are the conflicts in The Lady with the Pet Dog primarily external conflicts or internal conflicts? Define both of these terms and give examples of them from the text.
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)