|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurov note about Anna when he sees her walking?
2. Where do Anna and Gurov go after making love in Chapter 2?
3. What is the weather like at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. How long has Gurov been in town at the beginning of the novella?
5. Who walks up to Gurov and Anna while they watch the ocean in Chapter 2 after making love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
2. Where does Gurov finally find Anna? What happens when he approaches her?
3. Describe how Anna and Gurov meet in Chapter 1.
4. Describe how Gurov's wife views herself. What does she like to refer to herself as?
5. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
6. What does Gurov see in the negligees of women he's lost interest in? Why?
7. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
8. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
9. Gurov believes that the memory of Anna will have faded after a month of being home. Does it? How is he affected one month later?
10. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and motif in The Lady with the Pet Dog. What is the prominent motif which is expressed in the text? What does it represent? How does it connect to the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)