|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Anna and Gurov go after making love in Chapter 2?
2. What kind of boat comes toward the pier before Anna and Gurov return to the hotel in Chapter 2?
3. How long does the drive to the train station take Anna in Chapter 2?
4. How old is Gurov?
5. How does Gurov describe his wife's intelligence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
2. Describe Anna's room in Chapter 2. What does it smell like? How large is it?
3. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
4. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
5. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
6. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
7. Describe the simile used in Chapter 4 used to reflect Anna and Gurov.
8. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
9. Describe the hotel room Gurov stays in in Chapter 3.
10. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation which Gurov undergoes in the course of the novella. How is this transformation the basis of the structural components of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Misogyny" as it applies to The Lady with the Pet Dog. How is this theme presented? Which character does the theme embody?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Nature" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. How is this theme both a symbol and a theme? How does the symbolism inform the theme?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)