|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Gurov been in town at the beginning of the novella?
2. What does Gurov eat in the room after making love to Anna?
3. What is another word for "harbor"?
4. How does Gurov describe his wife's sense of grace?
5. What does the narrator compare Anna to in the scene following making love to Gurov?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
2. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
3. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
4. What is it about Gurov that attracts the opposite sex, as described in the text?
5. How does Gurov feel up on returning to his home in Chapter 3?
6. How does the narrator describe the first snowfall of the season in Chapter 3?
7. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
8. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
9. What does Anna look like when she greets Gurov in Chapter 4? What is her demeanor?
10. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "Betrayal" mean in the context of The Lady with the Pet Dog? Who does Anna regret betraying? Why? What is the narrator's view of the betrayal of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Nature" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. How is this theme both a symbol and a theme? How does the symbolism inform the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Are the conflicts in The Lady with the Pet Dog primarily external conflicts or internal conflicts? Define both of these terms and give examples of them from the text.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)