|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Anna buy the scents which fill her room?
2. What is another word for "harbor"?
3. What does Anna say she has always been burning with?
4. Anna tells Gurov, "It's a good thing I'm going. It's _____."
5. How long has Anna been living in her current town in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Anna different than the other women Gurov has made love to?
2. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
3. What does Anna look like when she greets Gurov in Chapter 4? What is her demeanor?
4. Why does Gurov not come the night before to see Anna in Chapter 4?
5. Where do Anna and Gurov go in the beginning of Chapter 2? Why?
6. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
7. Discuss how Gurov feels about his wife. What does he secretly consider her?
8. What does Gurov do once the travelers have dispersed in Chapter 2? How does Anna react?
9. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
10. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3? Where does he go instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novella. What is the meaning behind the term, "Chekhov's Gun?" How does this apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Adultery" as it is presented in the text. What are the characters' feelings regarding adultery? How does this thematically interact with the other themes of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality" as it applies to the novella. What is Chekhov's depiction of morality? How do his characters' actions exhibit this theme?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)