|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gurov feel once the train disappears in Chapter 2?
2. Who walks up to Gurov and Anna while they watch the ocean in Chapter 2 after making love?
3. How old is Anna?
4. What is another word for "harbor"?
5. What is the first place Gurov and Anna stop into after looking at the harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurov's friend reply when he tells him of the beautiful woman he met in Yalta?
2. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
3. How does Gurov feel about the company of men?
4. Describe Anna's room in Chapter 2. What does it smell like? How large is it?
5. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
6. What is Anna's surname? What kind of name is it? How does Anna explain this?
7. Gurov believes that the memory of Anna will have faded after a month of being home. Does it? How is he affected one month later?
8. How does Gurov refer to his wife in making love?
9. Describe how Gurov's wife views herself. What does she like to refer to herself as?
10. Describe the simile used in Chapter 4 used to reflect Anna and Gurov.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novella. What is the meaning behind the term, "Chekhov's Gun?" How does this apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)