|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall is Anna?
2. Where did Anna buy the scents which fill her room?
3. What does Gurov decide to do at the end of Chapter 2?
4. What is the first thing Anna says to Gurov?
5. Anna tells Gurov, "It's a good thing I'm going. It's _____."
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how Gurov feels about his wife. What does he secretly consider her?
2. Where does Anna live? What does her husband do for a living?
3. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
4. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
5. What does Gurov's friend reply when he tells him of the beautiful woman he met in Yalta?
6. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
7. How does Gurov refer to his wife in making love?
8. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3? Where does he go instead?
9. What does Gurov dwell upon regarding his "double life" in Chapter 4?
10. How does Anna describe her husband in Chapter 2? How old was she when she married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Slice of Life" realism. What does this term mean? How does it apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main characters in the story. How are they similar? How are they different? What about their settings set them apart?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the autobiographical elements of The Lady with the Pet Dog to Anton Chekhov's life. What characteristics did he share with the characters? What of the setting?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)