|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many houses does Gurov own in Moscow?
2. What time do Anna and Gurov begin meeting every day in Chapter 2?
3. How does Gurov feel once the train disappears in Chapter 2?
4. Where does Gurov suggest they go after kissing Anna by the steamer?
5. How does Gurov feel listening to Anna bemoan her fate in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3? Where does he go instead?
2. What do Anna and Gurov talk about at the end of Chapter 4? What is the resolution of the story?
3. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
4. How does Gurov feel up on returning to his home in Chapter 3?
5. Discuss how Gurov feels about his wife. What does he secretly consider her?
6. How does Gurov judge the lives of others as told in Chapter 4?
7. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
8. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
9. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
10. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the actions and objectives employed by Gurov as he attempts to meet Anna. Give examples from the text of an action and an objective and define these terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the descriptions of the main characters' spouses. How is Gurov's wife similar or different than Anna's husband? How are the main characters' feelings about their spouses similar or different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Morality" as it applies to the novella. What is Chekhov's depiction of morality? How do his characters' actions exhibit this theme?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)