|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gurov feel about the fact that Anna had not been happy with him in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of the restaurant where Gurov first sees Anna?
3. What is the first thing Anna says to Gurov?
4. How old is Gurov's daughter?
5. How often does Gurov notice Anna in the beginning of her stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gurov feel up on returning to his home in Chapter 3?
2. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
3. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
4. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
5. Describe the lifestyle that Gurov leads while living in the city.
6. What does Anna look like when she greets Gurov in Chapter 4? What is her demeanor?
7. How does Gurov's wife respond when he tries to talk to her of love in Chapter 3?
8. What does Gurov do while Anna is crying in Chapter 4? What is this a near repetition of in the novella?
9. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
10. How does Gurov feel about the company of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Misogyny" as it applies to The Lady with the Pet Dog. How is this theme presented? Which character does the theme embody?
Essay Topic 3
Are the conflicts in The Lady with the Pet Dog primarily external conflicts or internal conflicts? Define both of these terms and give examples of them from the text.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)