|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Anna says to Gurov?
2. Who does the protagonist regard as irresolute and "hard to rouse"?
3. Where did Anna buy the scents which fill her room?
4. What does Anna take no time in doing after the letter from her husband arrives in Chapter 2?
5. How old is Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gurov refer to his wife in making love?
2. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
3. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
4. How does Gurov's wife respond when he tries to talk to her of love in Chapter 3?
5. Describe the lifestyle that Gurov leads while living in the city.
6. Describe Anna's room in Chapter 2. What does it smell like? How large is it?
7. What does Gurov do while Anna is crying in Chapter 4? What is this a near repetition of in the novella?
8. What does Gurov talk about with his daughter while walking her to school in Chapter 4?
9. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
10. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the transformation which Gurov undergoes in the course of the novella. How is this transformation the basis of the structural components of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Chekhov's plot structure deviates from traditional plot structure in literature. Define "rising action," "climax," and "falling action," and explain how these differ from a typical plot line.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)