|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna refer to her husband as being?
2. Where do Gurov and Anna sit in Chapter 2 after they've left town?
3. What does the dog do in Chapter 1 when Gurov shakes his finger at it?
4. With the women whom Gurov had lost interest in the past, what did their negligees look like to him?
5. How does Gurov feel once the train disappears in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Anna and Gurov meet in Chapter 1.
2. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
3. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
4. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
5. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
6. How are Muscovites described by the narrator in Chapter 1?
7. How does Gurov's wife respond when he tries to talk to her of love in Chapter 3?
8. What does Gurov tell Anna most of the vacationers feel about Yalta?
9. What does Gurov's friend reply when he tells him of the beautiful woman he met in Yalta?
10. How does the narrator describe the first snowfall of the season in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the actions and objectives employed by Gurov as he attempts to meet Anna. Give examples from the text of an action and an objective and define these terms in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Slice of Life" realism. What does this term mean? How does it apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)