|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant where Gurov first sees Anna?
2. What does Anna lose in the crowd of people in Chapter 2?
3. Where do Anna and Gurov go after making love in Chapter 2?
4. How long has Anna been living in her current town in Chapter 1?
5. How do Anna and Gurov travel in Chapter 2 on their way out of town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurov regard the life he leads in open view to be?
2. Describe the people arriving on the pier in Chapter 2. How are they dressed?
3. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
4. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
5. What does Anna's house look like? Describe the fence surrounding it and how Gurov regards it.
6. What does Gurov's friend reply when he tells him of the beautiful woman he met in Yalta?
7. How does the narrator describe the first snowfall of the season in Chapter 3?
8. How does Anna describe her husband in Chapter 2? How old was she when she married?
9. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
10. How does Gurov feel up on returning to his home in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Chekhov's plot structure deviates from traditional plot structure in literature. Define "rising action," "climax," and "falling action," and explain how these differ from a typical plot line.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the two main characters in the story. How are they similar? How are they different? What about their settings set them apart?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transformation which Gurov undergoes in the course of the novella. How is this transformation the basis of the structural components of the story?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)