|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Gurov been in town at the beginning of the novella?
2. Who first breaks the silence while Gurov and Anna stare at the sea in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the restaurant where Gurov first sees Anna?
4. Where is Anna walking when Gurov first sees her?
5. What time do Anna and Gurov begin meeting every day in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
2. How does Gurov's wife respond when he tries to talk to her of love in Chapter 3?
3. What does Gurov tell Anna most of the vacationers feel about Yalta?
4. What does Anna tell Gurov at the end of Chapter 3?
5. Describe the external characteristics of Gurov (age, marital status, appearance, etc.).
6. How old was Gurov when he married his wife? How did their marriage take place?
7. What does Gurov remark about Anna as he lays in his hotel room at the end of Chapter 1?`
8. What do Anna and Gurov talk about at the end of Chapter 4? What is the resolution of the story?
9. Describe the weather in the beginning of Chapter 2. What is significant about it?
10. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the three different settings of the novella. How do they compare and contrast with one another? How can this be seen symbolically?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "Misogyny" as it applies to The Lady with the Pet Dog. How is this theme presented? Which character does the theme embody?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the transformation which Gurov undergoes in the course of the novella. How is this transformation the basis of the structural components of the story?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)