|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant where Gurov first sees Anna?
2. What time do Anna and Gurov begin meeting every day in Chapter 2?
3. How do Anna and Gurov travel in Chapter 2 on their way out of town?
4. Who walks up to Gurov and Anna while they watch the ocean in Chapter 2 after making love?
5. Where does Gurov work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Gurov believes that the memory of Anna will have faded after a month of being home. Does it? How is he affected one month later?
2. Describe the external characteristics of Gurov (age, marital status, appearance, etc.).
3. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
4. How has Anna come to feel toward Gurov in Chapter 4?
5. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
6. What does Gurov tell Anna most of the vacationers feel about Yalta?
7. Where does Gurov live? What is his profession and education?
8. How does Gurov recall regarding making love to women in his past?
9. How are Anna's and Gurov's meetings arranged in the city in Chapter 4?
10. How does the narrator describe the first snowfall of the season in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the foreshadowing in the novella. What is the meaning behind the term, "Chekhov's Gun?" How does this apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)