|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does the steamer arrive in Chapter 2?
2. How does Gurov feel about his wife?
3. What feature of Anna's does Gurov dwell upon before sleeping in Chapter 1?
4. How many houses does Gurov own in Moscow?
5. What does Anna tell Gurov that she hates in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gurov tell Anna most of the vacationers feel about Yalta?
2. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
3. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
4. Discuss how Gurov feels about his wife. What does he secretly consider her?
5. What does Anna speak of regarding "the devil" in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Anna's husband not arrive? What does his letter say?
7. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
8. How does Gurov's wife respond when he tries to talk to her of love in Chapter 3?
9. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
10. How does Gurov judge the lives of others as told in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Slice of Life" realism. What does this term mean? How does it apply to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Essay Topic 3
What imagery is depicted in The Lady with the Pet Dog? Define the terms "imagery, "simile," and "metaphor." Give examples of each in your response.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)