|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Anna's husband's grandfather from?
2. What does Gurov's wife like to describe herself as?
3. What is the first thing Anna says to Gurov?
4. How many children does Gurov have?
5. Where did Anna buy the scents which fill her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the simile used in Chapter 4 used to reflect Anna and Gurov.
2. How does Gurov feel up on returning to his home in Chapter 3?
3. How does Gurov judge the lives of others as told in Chapter 4?
4. Why is the lady with the pet dog a topic of conversation in the beginning of the novella?
5. What does Gurov talk about with his daughter while walking her to school in Chapter 4?
6. Where do Anna and Gurov go in the beginning of Chapter 2? Why?
7. What is Anna's surname? What kind of name is it? How does Anna explain this?
8. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
9. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to Moscow in Chapter 4? What does the text say his response is?
10. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rising of tension in Chapter 3. What is the danger involved for the main characters? What stylistic techniques does the author employ to achieve this rising tension?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the descriptions of the main characters' spouses. How is Gurov's wife similar or different than Anna's husband? How are the main characters' feelings about their spouses similar or different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)