|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gurov feel about the fact that Anna had not been happy with him in Chapter 2?
2. What feature of Anna's does Gurov dwell upon before sleeping in Chapter 1?
3. What did Anna tell her husband before coming to Yalta?
4. How old is Anna?
5. What does Gurov remember while he looks at Anna after their first kiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna crying in Chapter 4? How does she regard their situation?
2. What do Anna and Gurov talk about at the end of Chapter 4? What is the resolution of the story?
3. What is Gurov's response while Anna talks in Chapter 2 after they've made love? What does he do?
4. Where does Gurov see Anna's face in his mind in Chapter 3?
5. What does Gurov see in the negligees of women he's lost interest in? Why?
6. What has been the outcome of Gurov's previous affairs? How has this left him?
7. Describe the character of Anna. How old is she? What is her appearance?
8. How does Gurov's behavior devolve in Chapter 3? What does he feel about his life and activities?
9. What does Anna's house look like? Describe the fence surrounding it and how Gurov regards it.
10. What is the significance of Gurov's vision of himself in the mirror in Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss symbolism and motif in The Lady with the Pet Dog. What is the prominent motif which is expressed in the text? What does it represent? How does it connect to the themes of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative point of view and tense of the novella. How does this impact the reader's information? Define "voice" and "tense" in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Longing" in The Lady with the Pet Dog. In which chapter is this theme the most prominent? How does this play a part in the transformation of the protagonist?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)