|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the dog do in Chapter 1 when Gurov shakes his finger at it?
(c) Runs away.
2. How old was Anna when she married her husband?
3. Who is Anna expecting to join her on vacation?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her aunt.
4. Where did Anna buy the scents which fill her room?
(a) A Chinese shop.
(b) A Japanese shop.
(c) A German shop.
(d) A Hawaiian shop.
5. What is the name of the restaurant where Gurov first sees Anna?
(a) Viex Carre.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 2, the narrator remarks that there was a whiff of what in the air?
2. What does Gurov decide to do at the end of Chapter 2?
3. Anna tells Gurov, "It's a good thing I'm going. It's _____."
4. How do Anna and Gurov travel in Chapter 2 on their way out of town?
5. Who first breaks the silence while Gurov and Anna stare at the sea in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Anna and Gurov meet in Chapter 1.
2. How does Anna regard having slept with Gurov in her room in Chapter 2?
3. What does Gurov remark about Anna as he lays in his hotel room at the end of Chapter 1?`
4. Describe the lifestyle that Gurov leads while living in the city.
5. How does Anna describe her husband in Chapter 2? How old was she when she married?
6. What does Gurov see in the negligees of women he's lost interest in? Why?
7. Describe the imagery of nature in Chapter 1. What elements are referred to repeatedly in the novel?
8. Describe the setting in the beginning of Chapter 3. Where is it? What is the description of it?
9. Where does Anna live? What does her husband do for a living?
10. Describe how Gurov's wife views herself. What does she like to refer to herself as?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)