|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the horseman not have in Gurov's room at the hotel?
(a) A sword.
(b) A head.
(c) A jacket.
(d) A leg.
2. What does the word "lorgnette" mean?
3. What does Anna beg Gurov to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Kiss her.
(b) Return to Moscow.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Take her away.
4. What is Gurov overtaken by a need to share with someone in Chapter 3?
(a) His anger.
(b) His memories.
(c) His forgiveness.
(d) His need for a divorce.
5. What does the porter wear at the hotel?
(a) A black hat.
(b) A blue hat.
(c) A white hat.
(d) A red hat.
6. From what point of view is The Lady with the Pet Dog told?
(a) First person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
7. What simile is used for Anna and Gurov in Chapter 4?
8. Where does Anna go during the intermission?
(a) She remains sitting.
(b) She goes to the balcony.
(c) She goes to the lobby.
(d) She goes into the aisle.
9. What is the type of realism Chekhov is known for in his writing, and which would refer to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(a) Slice of Life.
10. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "I hate you!"
(b) "Get out of here!"
(c) "My husband is coming."
(d) "How you frightened me!"
11. Gurov's daughter asks him, "Why isn't there any _____ in winter"?
12. What show is being performed at the local theater in Chapter 3?
(a) The Phantom of the Opera.
(b) The Geisha Girl.
(c) The Beggar's Opera.
(d) The Bolshevik.
13. What literary technique does the term "Chekhov's Gun" refer to?
14. What color dress of Anna's does Gurov like the most?
15. How many newspapers does Gurov read per day in Chapter 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
2. How often does the narrator say Anna went to see Gurov in Chapter 4?
3. What does Gurov note about his appearance in Chapter 4?
4. What does Anna say she has been since she last saw Gurov in the theater?
5. What does Anna do when Gurov enters in Chapter 4?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)