|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
(a) To talk to the governor.
(b) To buy wine.
(c) To walk around.
(d) To smoke.
2. What simile is used for Anna and Gurov in Chapter 4?
3. What does Gurov say to Anna when he approaches her in the theater?
(a) "I've missed you."
(b) "Good evening."
(c) "Come with me."
(d) "I love you."
4. What does the word "coxcomb" mean?
(b) Pretentious fop.
5. What does Gurov ask Anna to do with him rather than cry?
(d) Make love.
6. Fill in the blank: "To women he always seemed ______ than what he was."
7. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to see Gurov?
(a) She is going to see her sister.
(b) She's going to see a doctor.
(c) She is going to see her mother.
(d) She is going to see her father.
8. How often does the narrator say Anna went to see Gurov in Chapter 4?
(a) Every year.
(b) Every week.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Every two or three months.
9. What is missing from The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(a) A main character.
(b) A story.
(c) A protagonist.
(d) An antagonist.
10. What does Anna do when Gurov enters in Chapter 4?
11. In what setting does Chapter 3 begin?
(b) The provinces.
12. What does the sign say, which Anna and Gurov stop below to talk in the theater?
(b) "To the Upper Circle."
(c) "Stage Entrance."
13. Which of the following is a major theme of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(c) Growing up.
14. What does Anna say she has been since she last saw Gurov in the theater?
15. What is the term which refers to the type of literature that The Lady with the Pet Dog is?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the type of realism Chekhov is known for in his writing, and which would refer to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
2. What did Gurov's past lovers do once they realized their mistake?
3. What is a sturgeon?
4. When does Gurov leave to see Anna in Chapter 3?
5. The Lady with the Pet Dog is set in what country?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)