|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the major themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
2. What does the porter wear at the hotel?
(a) A black hat.
(b) A blue hat.
(c) A red hat.
(d) A white hat.
3. What term refers to "what a character is doing at any point in a piece of literature," such as "Gurov Kisses Anna"?
4. Where was Chekhov living while he wrote The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(a) The provinces of Russia.
5. The Lady with the Pet Dog is set in what country?
(b) The USSR.
6. What does Gurov consider the musicians at the theater to be?
7. Who says, "You were quite right: the sturgeon was a bit off"?
(b) The civil servant.
(c) Gurov's wife.
8. What does Gurov say to Anna when he approaches her in the theater?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "I've missed you."
(c) "Come with me."
(d) "Good evening."
9. What does Gurov do at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Leaves the theater.
(b) Goes to Anna's house.
(c) Calls his wife.
(d) Kills himself.
10. What is the most prominent symbolism and imagery used in The Lady with the Pet Dog?
11. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna running away.
(b) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
(c) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
(d) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
12. What are the boys doing in the stairwell above Anna and Gurov in the theater?
13. Where does Gurov go to play cards in Moscow?
(a) The Aristocrat Club.
(b) The Elks Club.
(c) The Medical Club.
(d) The Moose Club.
14. What did Gurov's past lovers do once they realized their mistake?
(a) Scolded him.
(b) Left him.
(c) Hated him.
(d) Still loved him.
15. What is the fence surrounding Anna's house studded with?
(a) Upturned nails.
(b) Naval pendants.
(d) Fleur de lis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurov send for after his arrival at Anna's room in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
3. What is Anna's husband wearing on his suit jacket?
4. How many main characters are in The Lady with the Pet Dog?
5. What is one of the main themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog, and a trait of Gurov's?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)