|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna holding in the theater in Chapter 3?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her boa.
(d) Her lorgnette.
2. What does Gurov do at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Leaves the theater.
(b) Goes to Anna's house.
(c) Calls his wife.
(d) Kills himself.
3. What is the literary device which informs the reader of Gurov's past, age, marital status, and history?
4. What color is the fence surrounding Anna's house?
5. What does Gurov ask Anna to do with him rather than cry?
(d) Make love.
6. What is one of the main themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog, and a trait of Gurov's?
(a) Sibling rivalry.
7. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3?
8. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna running away.
(b) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
(c) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
(d) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
9. What does the word "coxcomb" mean?
(d) Pretentious fop.
10. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
(a) To talk to the governor.
(b) To smoke.
(c) To buy wine.
(d) To walk around.
11. What does Gurov note about his appearance in Chapter 4?
(a) He has grown thin.
(b) His hair is turning gray.
(c) He has gained weight.
(d) He is balding.
12. What is the weather like in the beginning of Chapter 3?
13. What literary technique does the term "Chekhov's Gun" refer to?
14. What does Gurov not dare to do when he approaches Anna in the theater?
(a) Say he loves her.
(b) Speak to her.
(c) Sit down beside her.
(d) Approach her husband.
15. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "How you frightened me!"
(b) "My husband is coming."
(c) "I hate you!"
(d) "Get out of here!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What street does Gurov stroll down in the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What does Anna appear as though she's going to do when Gurov approaches her in the theater?
3. What is missing from The Lady with the Pet Dog?
4. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
5. The Lady with the Pet Dog is set in what country?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)