|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Anna go to see Gurov?
2. What is the word that Gurov repeats in his thoughts at the end of the novella?
3. What simile is used for Anna and Gurov in Chapter 4?
4. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "My husband is coming."
(b) "How you frightened me!"
(c) "I hate you!"
(d) "Get out of here!"
5. Who is with Gurov in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His daughter.
(b) His wife.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
6. What is Anna's husband wearing on his suit jacket?
(a) A boutonniere.
(b) A fur.
(c) An insignia.
(d) A cape.
7. What does the porter wear at the hotel?
(a) A black hat.
(b) A white hat.
(c) A blue hat.
(d) A red hat.
8. What does Gurov not dare to do when he approaches Anna in the theater?
(a) Approach her husband.
(b) Sit down beside her.
(c) Say he loves her.
(d) Speak to her.
9. Who says, "You were quite right: the sturgeon was a bit off"?
(b) Gurov's wife.
(d) The civil servant.
10. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna running away.
(b) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
(c) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
(d) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
11. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A mask.
(c) A fur hat.
(d) A feather boa.
12. Where in Chapter 4 is the climax of the novella?
(a) Anna weeping.
(b) Anna and Gurov making love.
(c) Gurov looking in the mirrow.
(d) Gurov's wife arriving.
13. What does Anna do when Gurov enters in Chapter 4?
14. In what tense is the Lady with the Pet Dog?
15. Fill in the blank: "To women he always seemed ______ than what he was."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna ask Gurov in the stairwell of the theater in Chapter 3?
2. What does Anna's husband appear to do with every step he takes?
3. What does Gurov ask Anna to do with him rather than cry?
4. What does Gurov note about his appearance in Chapter 4?
5. Where was Chekhov living while he wrote The Lady with the Pet Dog?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)