|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna's husband appear to do with every step he takes?
2. What is the weather like in the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. What is the literary device which informs the reader of Gurov's past, age, marital status, and history?
4. What is the weather like in Chapter 4?
5. What show is being performed at the local theater in Chapter 3?
(a) The Beggar's Opera.
(b) The Geisha Girl.
(c) The Bolshevik.
(d) The Phantom of the Opera.
6. What does the word "lorgnette" mean?
7. What does the word "coxcomb" mean?
(d) Pretentious fop.
8. Where was Chekhov living while he wrote The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(b) The provinces of Russia.
9. What does Gurov send for after his arrival at Anna's room in Chapter 4?
10. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
(a) To talk to the governor.
(b) To buy wine.
(c) To smoke.
(d) To walk around.
11. Where in Chapter 4 is the climax of the novella?
(a) Gurov's wife arriving.
(b) Gurov looking in the mirrow.
(c) Anna weeping.
(d) Anna and Gurov making love.
12. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A fur hat.
(c) A mask.
(d) A feather boa.
13. What is the term which means that the narrator expresses the thoughts of Gurov, but not of Anna?
14. What does Anna beg Gurov to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Take her away.
(b) Return to Moscow.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Kiss her.
15. What is Anna's husband wearing on his suit jacket?
(a) A fur.
(b) An insignia.
(c) A cape.
(d) A boutonniere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurov note about his appearance in Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following is a major theme of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
3. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
4. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
5. What does Anna appear as though she's going to do when Gurov approaches her in the theater?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)