|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a sturgeon?
2. Where in Chapter 4 is the climax of the novella?
(a) Anna and Gurov making love.
(b) Gurov looking in the mirrow.
(c) Gurov's wife arriving.
(d) Anna weeping.
3. Who is the partner of Gurov at cards?
(a) A general.
(b) A woman.
(c) A professor.
(d) A doctor.
4. Where does Anna go during the intermission?
(a) She remains sitting.
(b) She goes into the aisle.
(c) She goes to the lobby.
(d) She goes to the balcony.
5. Where was Chekhov living while he wrote The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(b) The provinces of Russia.
6. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
(a) A fur hat.
(b) A mask.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) A feather boa.
7. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "Get out of here!"
(b) "I hate you!"
(c) "How you frightened me!"
(d) "My husband is coming."
8. What are the boys doing in the stairwell above Anna and Gurov in the theater?
9. What term refers to "what a character is doing at any point in a piece of literature," such as "Gurov Kisses Anna"?
10. What is one of the major themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
11. What is the term which means that the narrator expresses the thoughts of Gurov, but not of Anna?
12. On which street does Anna live?
(a) Vkarkov Street.
(b) Willow Street.
(c) Snow Street.
(d) Old Potter's Street.
13. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
(b) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
(c) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
(d) Gurov and Anna running away.
14. Gurov's daughter asks him, "Why isn't there any _____ in winter"?
15. In what setting does Chapter 3 begin?
(b) The provinces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gurov ask Anna to do at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What is the fence surrounding Anna's house studded with?
3. What does Anna beg Gurov to do in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Gurov remark to himself that everything important in his life takes place?
5. What is the term which refers to the type of literature that The Lady with the Pet Dog is?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)