|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to see Gurov?
(a) She's going to see a doctor.
(b) She is going to see her sister.
(c) She is going to see her father.
(d) She is going to see her mother.
2. What does the sign say, which Anna and Gurov stop below to talk in the theater?
(b) "To the Upper Circle."
(c) "Stage Entrance."
3. Fill in the blank: "He did not dream of Anna, she accompanied him everywhere he went like __________."
(c) His wife.
(d) His shadow.
4. Where in Chapter 4 is the climax of the novella?
(a) Gurov's wife arriving.
(b) Anna and Gurov making love.
(c) Gurov looking in the mirrow.
(d) Anna weeping.
5. What is one of the major themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
6. What does Anna beg Gurov to do in Chapter 3?
(a) Take her away.
(b) Kill her husband.
(c) Kiss her.
(d) Return to Moscow.
7. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "How you frightened me!"
(b) "Get out of here!"
(c) "My husband is coming."
(d) "I hate you!"
8. What simile is used for Anna and Gurov in Chapter 4?
9. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3?
10. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
(b) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
(c) Gurov and Anna running away.
(d) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
11. Which of the following is a major theme of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(c) Growing up.
12. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
13. Who is with Gurov in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His wife.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His sister.
(d) His brother.
14. What does Gurov say to Anna when he approaches her in the theater?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "Come with me."
(c) "Good evening."
(d) "I've missed you."
15. How many main characters are in The Lady with the Pet Dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys doing in the stairwell above Anna and Gurov in the theater?
2. Who is the partner of Gurov at cards?
3. What does the word "coxcomb" mean?
4. Who says, "Really, Dimitry, the role of a coxcomb doesn't suit you at all"?
5. What does Gurov send for after his arrival at Anna's room in Chapter 4?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)