|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the major themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
2. In what tense is the Lady with the Pet Dog?
3. What would be the falling action in Chapter 4?
(a) Gurov and Anna sailing on a ship.
(b) Gurov and Anna running away.
(c) Gurov and Anna divorcing their spouses.
(d) Gurov and Anna hoping to find a solution.
4. What is Gurov overtaken by a need to share with someone in Chapter 3?
(a) His need for a divorce.
(b) His anger.
(c) His memories.
(d) His forgiveness.
5. What is the word that Gurov repeats in his thoughts at the end of the novella?
6. What show is being performed at the local theater in Chapter 3?
(a) The Phantom of the Opera.
(b) The Geisha Girl.
(c) The Beggar's Opera.
(d) The Bolshevik.
7. What simile is used for Anna and Gurov in Chapter 4?
8. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
9. What does Gurov say to Anna when he approaches her in the theater?
(a) "I've missed you."
(b) "Good evening."
(c) "I love you."
(d) "Come with me."
10. What had none of the women that Gurov had previously been with, been in their time with him?
11. Where does Gurov go to play cards in Moscow?
(a) The Moose Club.
(b) The Elks Club.
(c) The Aristocrat Club.
(d) The Medical Club.
12. What are the boys doing in the stairwell above Anna and Gurov in the theater?
13. Who is with Gurov in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His daughter.
14. Where does Gurov remark to himself that everything important in his life takes place?
(a) In public.
(b) In secret.
(c) In his children.
(d) In his home.
15. Where was Chekhov living while he wrote The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(d) The provinces of Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna's husband appear to do with every step he takes?
2. What is the weather like in Chapter 4?
3. What Moscow specialty accompanies meat served in a frying pan?
4. Where does Anna go during the intermission?
5. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)