|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gurov tell his wife he is going in Chapter 3?
2. What is Gurov overtaken by a need to share with someone in Chapter 3?
(a) His need for a divorce.
(b) His memories.
(c) His forgiveness.
(d) His anger.
3. Where does Gurov remark to himself that everything important in his life takes place?
(a) In his children.
(b) In public.
(c) In secret.
(d) In his home.
4. In what row do Anna and her husband sit at the theater?
5. Who says, "Really, Dimitry, the role of a coxcomb doesn't suit you at all"?
(a) Gurov's wife.
(c) Gurov's best friend.
(d) Gurov's boss.
6. What is Anna's husband wearing on his suit jacket?
(a) An insignia.
(b) A boutonniere.
(c) A fur.
(d) A cape.
7. How many newspapers does Gurov read per day in Chapter 3?
8. What is the type of realism Chekhov is known for in his writing, and which would refer to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(d) Slice of Life.
9. What do Anna and Gurov begin to feel as the musicians begin tuning their instruments in the theater?
10. What is one of the main themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog, and a trait of Gurov's?
(d) Sibling rivalry.
11. What is the literary device which informs the reader of Gurov's past, age, marital status, and history?
12. Fill in the blank: "He did not dream of Anna, she accompanied him everywhere he went like __________."
(a) His shadow.
(d) His wife.
13. What does Anna ask Gurov in the stairwell of the theater in Chapter 3?
(a) "Why did you come?"
(b) "Why didn't you come earlier?"
(c) "Where is your wife?"
(d) "Where have you been?"
14. Who is the partner of Gurov at cards?
(a) A woman.
(b) A general.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A professor.
15. Who says, "You were quite right: the sturgeon was a bit off"?
(a) Gurov's wife.
(c) The civil servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what tense is the Lady with the Pet Dog?
2. What is the term which means that the narrator expresses the thoughts of Gurov, but not of Anna?
3. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to see Gurov?
4. What street does Gurov stroll down in the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What kind of coat does Gurov wear in Chapter 4?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)