|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gurov's daughter asks him, "Why isn't there any _____ in winter"?
2. How often does the narrator say Anna went to see Gurov in Chapter 4?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Every year.
(c) Every week.
(d) Every two or three months.
3. What did Gurov's past lovers do once they realized their mistake?
(a) Still loved him.
(b) Left him.
(c) Scolded him.
(d) Hated him.
4. Why does Anna's husband go out during the intermission?
(a) To buy wine.
(b) To walk around.
(c) To talk to the governor.
(d) To smoke.
5. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
(a) "I hate you!"
(b) "Get out of here!"
(c) "How you frightened me!"
(d) "My husband is coming."
6. What is the type of realism Chekhov is known for in his writing, and which would refer to The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(a) Slice of Life.
7. In what setting does Chapter 3 begin?
(b) The provinces.
8. What is Anna's husband wearing on his suit jacket?
(a) A fur.
(b) A boutonniere.
(c) An insignia.
(d) A cape.
9. What is Gurov overtaken by a need to share with someone in Chapter 3?
(a) His forgiveness.
(b) His anger.
(c) His need for a divorce.
(d) His memories.
10. Upon what sea is Yalta located?
(a) The Indian Sea.
(b) The Black Sea.
(c) The Balkan Sea.
(d) The Norman Sea.
11. What show is being performed at the local theater in Chapter 3?
(a) The Bolshevik.
(b) The Beggar's Opera.
(c) The Geisha Girl.
(d) The Phantom of the Opera.
12. What is missing from The Lady with the Pet Dog?
(a) A main character.
(b) An antagonist.
(c) A story.
(d) A protagonist.
13. What does Anna say she has been since she last saw Gurov in the theater?
14. What term refers to "what a character is doing at any point in a piece of literature," such as "Gurov Kisses Anna"?
15. What does Anna tell her husband when she goes to see Gurov?
(a) She is going to see her mother.
(b) She is going to see her father.
(c) She's going to see a doctor.
(d) She is going to see her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gurov go to play cards in Moscow?
2. What does Anna beg Gurov to do in Chapter 3?
3. What does the horseman not have in Gurov's room at the hotel?
4. What does Gurov do at the end of Chapter 3?
5. What do Anna and Gurov begin to feel as the musicians begin tuning their instruments in the theater?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)