|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the word that Gurov repeats in his thoughts at the end of the novella?
2. What is one of the major themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog?
3. How many newspapers does Gurov read per day in Chapter 3?
4. What does Gurov say to Anna when he approaches her in the theater?
(a) "Come with me."
(b) "I've missed you."
(c) "I love you."
(d) "Good evening."
5. What does Anna ask Gurov in the stairwell of the theater in Chapter 3?
(a) "Where is your wife?"
(b) "Where have you been?"
(c) "Why didn't you come earlier?"
(d) "Why did you come?"
6. What does Anna say she has been since she last saw Gurov in the theater?
7. What Moscow specialty accompanies meat served in a frying pan?
(d) Sour cabbage.
8. Who is the partner of Gurov at cards?
(a) A general.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A woman.
(d) A professor.
9. What does the Governor's daughter wear at the theater?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) A fur hat.
(c) A feather boa.
(d) A mask.
10. What hotel does Anna stay at when visiting Gurov?
(a) Moscow Manor.
(b) Slav Vladimir.
(c) Venischzy Manor.
(d) Slav Bazaar.
11. What does Gurov do at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Goes to Anna's house.
(b) Leaves the theater.
(c) Calls his wife.
(d) Kills himself.
12. Where does Anna go to see Gurov?
13. What does Anna's husband appear to do with every step he takes?
14. What is Gurov overtaken by a need to share with someone in Chapter 3?
(a) His memories.
(b) His forgiveness.
(c) His need for a divorce.
(d) His anger.
15. What is one of the main themes of The Lady with the Pet Dog, and a trait of Gurov's?
(d) Sibling rivalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term which means that the narrator expresses the thoughts of Gurov, but not of Anna?
2. What is the first thing that Anna says to Gurov in the stairwell of the theater?
3. What are the boys doing in the stairwell above Anna and Gurov in the theater?
4. What does the horseman not have in Gurov's room at the hotel?
5. What is a sturgeon?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)