* Dmitri Dmitritch Gurov has been on vacation at Yalta, the seaside vacation town, for a fortnight when he hears of a new arrival.
* He is sitting at the terrace of Vernet's restaurant when he sees a fair young woman walking a white pomeranian.
* Later, he encounters her several more times in the day, always alone.
* No one knows the woman and she becomes known as the "lady with the lapdog."
* Dmitri rationalizes that if she is alone, traveling without a husband, it wouldn't be a bad idea to befriend her.
* Dmitri is just under forty with a 12-year-old daughter and two schoolboy sons.
* He was married off by his family while he was in his second year of university.
* His wife seems twice his age to him, is tall, dignified and a "thinking person."
* Dmitri considers his wife unintelligent and narrow-minded, but is afraid of her and...
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)