|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Clifford become enthralled with during Connie's depression?
2. What does Connie do after her walk with Clifford before her trip?
3. Where do Connie and Mellors want to run away to?
4. What does Clifford do in response to all of the rumors spread by his wife?
5. What does Mellors make Connie promise to do before she leaves on her trip alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
2. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
3. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
4. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
5. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
6. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
7. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
8. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
9. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
10. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)