|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie do after her walk with Clifford before her trip?
2. What does Mellors say is upsetting about his first girlfriends?
3. What happens to Clifford if Connie stays away from him for too long during her depression?
4. What does Connie ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working together?
5. Where does Mellors tell Connie he will be when she gets back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
2. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
3. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
4. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
5. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
6. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
7. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
8. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
9. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
10. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)