|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mellors say is upsetting about his first girlfriends?
2. What does Mellors give to Connie when she escapes the oppressive feel of Wragby Hall?
3. What does Connie's father accuse Mellors of being?
4. What does Connie ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working together?
5. What does Mellors make Connie promise to do before she leaves on her trip alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
2. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
3. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
4. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
5. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
6. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
7. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
8. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
9. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
10. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Lawrence have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)