|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie tell her father just before she leaves Venice?
2. How does Connie's father respond to the news she tells him before she leaves Venice?
3. What does Mellors say he would teach the villagers if he were in charge?
4. What is the name of Mellors' wife?
5. What is Mrs. Bolton's dead husband's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
2. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
3. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
4. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
5. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
6. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
7. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
8. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
9. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
10. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)