|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Bolton's dead husband's name?
2. What does Mellors give to Connie when she escapes the oppressive feel of Wragby Hall?
3. Who agrees to pose as the father of Connie's baby?
4. Who helps Connie pack for her trip to Venice?
5. What does Mellors try to help Clifford with during his walk with Connie before her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
2. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
3. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
4. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
5. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
6. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
7. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
8. What happens when Connie's father meets Mellors?
9. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
10. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)