|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mellors join the Army?
2. Who arrives early the morning that Connie leaves for Venice?
3. How does Connie feel when she returns home from her drive?
4. What does Mrs. Bolton say is the best feeling in the world?
5. What is Connie's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Connie tell Mellors that gets him upset with her?
2. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
3. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
4. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
5. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
6. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
7. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
8. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
9. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
10. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)