|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mellors join the Army?
2. What does Mellors say he needs to have happen in order to take pleasure from a relationship?
3. What does Clifford tell Connie he still wants her to do during her depression?
4. What causes Connie to come to the hut every day?
5. What has Clifford become enthralled with during Connie's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
2. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
3. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
4. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
5. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
6. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
7. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
8. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
9. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
10. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)