|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie do after her walk with Clifford before her trip?
2. How much of a raise does Clifford give to Mrs. Bolton?
3. Where do Connie and Mellors want to run away to?
4. Who does Mellors look up to as his mentor?
5. Who does Connie want to have a child with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
2. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
3. What happens when Connie's father meets Mellors?
4. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
5. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
6. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
7. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
8. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
9. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
10. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 3
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)