|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to pose as the father of Connie's baby?
2. What does Connie tell Clifford she is doing?
3. How much of a raise does Clifford give to Mrs. Bolton?
4. Where does Connie go for a walk with Clifford after her trip to Venice?
5. Who does Clifford send to find Connie when she disappears during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
2. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
3. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
4. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
5. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
6. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
7. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
8. What does Connie tell Mellors that gets him upset with her?
9. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
10. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)