|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mellors let Connie hold one day in the hut?
2. How does Connie's father respond to the news she tells him before she leaves Venice?
3. What is the name of Mellors' wife?
4. Who does Connie want to have a child with?
5. What does Mellors give to Connie when she escapes the oppressive feel of Wragby Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
2. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
3. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
4. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
5. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
6. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
7. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
8. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
9. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
10. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)