|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing Connie can see as she travels through Europe?
2. What does Mellors say he needs to have happen in order to take pleasure from a relationship?
3. How does Connie's father respond to the news she tells him before she leaves Venice?
4. What does Mellors let Connie hold one day in the hut?
5. What does Connie tell Mellors is the real reason for her affair with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
2. What does Connie tell Clifford she was doing during the storm and how does he respond?
3. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
4. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
5. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
6. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
7. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
8. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
9. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
10. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)