|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mellors say he needs to have happen in order to take pleasure from a relationship?
2. How does Clifford treat Mellors when he tries to help Clifford during his walk with Connie before her trip?
3. What does Mellors think Connie used him for?
4. How does Connie feel when she returns home from her drive?
5. What does Connie ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mellors say he would do if he were in charge?
2. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
3. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
4. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
5. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
6. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
7. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
8. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
9. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
10. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)