|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mellors say he needs to have happen in order to take pleasure from a relationship?
2. Where does Connie go for a walk with Clifford after her trip to Venice?
3. What does Mrs. Bolton say is the best feeling in the world?
4. What era does Connie say has ended during her drive?
5. How long does Mellors have to wait for a divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
2. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
3. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
4. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
5. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
6. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
7. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
8. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
9. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
10. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Bolton was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How does she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)