|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clifford treat Mellors when he tries to help Clifford during his walk with Connie before her trip?
2. Who takes Connie to Venice?
3. How long does Mellors have to wait for a divorce?
4. What does Connie ask Mellors to do while she is on a trip alone?
5. What has Clifford become enthralled with during Connie's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mellors say about his first girlfriends?
2. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
3. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
4. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
5. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
6. What does Mrs. Bolton tell Connie is the best feeling in the world while they are in the garden together?
7. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
8. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
9. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
10. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are those characters affected by the manipulation?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)