|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clifford do in response to all of the rumors spread by his wife?
2. Where do Connie and Mellors want to run away to?
3. What does Mellors say he would teach the villagers if he were in charge?
4. What does Mellors let Connie hold one day in the hut?
5. What does Mellors try to help Clifford with during his walk with Connie before her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
2. What causes Connie to feel more lonely than ever at Wragby Hall?
3. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
4. What happens when Hilda meets Mellors for the first time?
5. What do Connie and Mellors do in the woods together just before Connie leaves for Venice?
6. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
7. What does Hilda criticize Connie of doing while they are on their trip together?
8. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
9. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
10. What happens when Connie and Mellors make love for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)