|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Clifford call Michaelis while speaking with Connie about him in private?
2. What kind of interaction is most important to Constance before she gets married?
3. What is the name of Clifford's aunt?
4. What does Michaelis ask Connie to do when he comes to Wragby to present his new play?
5. What has Mellors just killed when Connie meets him the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
2. What happens when Connie delivers a message to Mellors from her husband?
3. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
4. Why does Clifford invite Michaelis to come and stay with him and Connie at Wragby Hall?
5. What does Connie suddenly realize about her relationship with Clifford after her fight with Mellors?
6. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
7. How does Clifford define his relationship with Connie?
8. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
9. What is Connie's reaction to the surprising plan that Clifford presents to her when they are walking together in the woods?
10. Where has Clifford been when he comes home at the beginning of the book, and how long has he been gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)