|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie have a foreboding feeling about at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Where is Mellors when Connie sees him when she starts to feel better during her depression?
3. What do Constance and Clifford discuss during the day?
4. How does Connie feel when she returns to her house after delivering a letter to Mellors?
5. Why does Clifford invite Michaelis to stay with him and Connie at Wragby Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
2. Who does Connie write to for help when she gets depressed with her life, and how is she helped?
3. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
4. What is Clifford's stance on intimacy in a relationship?
5. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
6. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
7. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
8. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
9. What does Connie suddenly realize about her relationship with Clifford after her fight with Mellors?
10. How is Constance raised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)