|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clifford accompany Connie on her walks?
2. Where does Mellors go when he is in the Army?
3. What does Mellors threaten to do a few days after he meets Connie by chance?
4. What is Clifford's sister's name?
5. Where is Michaelis from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
2. Why does Michaelis come back to Wragby Hall in Chapter 6?
3. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
4. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
5. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
6. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
7. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
8. What does Connie suddenly realize about her relationship with Clifford after her fight with Mellors?
9. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
10. Why does Clifford invite Michaelis to come and stay with him and Connie at Wragby Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)