|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clifford disappointed in Michaelis when he gets to Wragby Hall?
2. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
3. What improves for Clifford during Connie's affair with Michaelis?
4. Who does Michaelis present the first act of his new play to in Chapter 6?
5. What does Connie feel has dulled her body after four years of marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
2. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
3. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
4. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
5. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
6. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
7. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
8. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
9. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
10. How is Constance raised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)