|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What improves for Clifford during Connie's affair with Michaelis?
2. What is Mellors doing when Connie sees him after she starts to feel better during her depression?
3. Where is Connie when she first meets Mellors?
4. What do Connie and Clifford do together at night?
5. What is Michaelis' profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
2. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
3. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
4. How does Constance feel about Michaelis, and what does she do in response to these feelings?
5. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
6. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
7. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
8. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
9. Where has Clifford been when he comes home at the beginning of the book, and how long has he been gone?
10. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)