|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clifford accompany Connie on her walks?
2. What do Connie and Clifford do together at night?
3. What does Connie feel has been stolen from her in her marriage with Clifford?
4. Where is Constance's husband before he comes home at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Mellors do in 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
2. What does Connie ask of Mellors when she sees him while walking in the woods during her depression?
3. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
4. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
5. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
6. What happens when Constance's father visits Constance and Clifford at Wragby Hall for the first time?
7. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
8. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
9. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
10. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Lawrence have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)