|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clifford's sister live?
2. What does Clifford demand of Connie after Michaelis has been staying with them for a while?
3. What is startling about Mellors when Connie delivers a letter to him?
4. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
5. What does Constance's father call her when he comes to visit her and Clifford for the first time in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mellors ask Connie after they make love for the first time?
2. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
3. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
4. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
5. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
6. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
7. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
8. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
9. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
10. What does Connie tell Mellors that gets him upset with her?
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)