|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dukes say a woman cannot do for him?
2. What nickname does Constance's father use for her?
3. What is taking the jobs of men in the mines?
4. How does Connie feel when she returns to her house after delivering a letter to Mellors?
5. What is Mellors doing when Connie sees him after she starts to feel better during her depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Connie delivers a message to Mellors from her husband?
2. What is Clifford's stance on intimacy in a relationship?
3. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
4. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
5. Why does Michaelis come back to Wragby Hall in Chapter 6?
6. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
7. How does Clifford define his relationship with Connie?
8. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
9. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
10. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)