|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Connie have a strong aversion for after her fight with Mellors?
2. During Chapter 4, what are the guests to Wragby Hall least concerned about?
3. Where is Connie when she first meets Mellors?
4. Where is Mellors when Connie sees him when she starts to feel better during her depression?
5. What does Mrs. Bolton gossip to Clifford about during Connie's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
2. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
3. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
4. What is Connie's reaction to the surprising plan that Clifford presents to her when they are walking together in the woods?
5. What happens when Connie delivers a message to Mellors from her husband?
6. What is disappointing to Constance about the villagers when she and Clifford move into Wragyby Hall?
7. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
8. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
9. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
10. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effect do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)