|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Constance grow up?
2. What brings Clifford a lot of extra money after Michaelis has been staying with him for a while?
3. What debate do Clifford's guests have that embarrasses him one night at dinner?
4. What does Michaelis ask Connie to do when he comes to Wragby to present his new play?
5. What has Mellors just killed when Connie meets him the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mellors and Connie make love the night that she tells him she is going to Venice for a month?
2. What does Clifford ask of Connie in Chapter 4, and how does she respond?
3. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
4. How does Connie feel when she sees Mellors for the first time after returning from Venice?
5. How does Connie feel about what she sees on her drive through Uthwaite?
6. What is disappointing to Constance about the villagers when she and Clifford move into Wragyby Hall?
7. What happens when Mellors' wife comes to his cottage?
8. What does Connie first ask Mrs. Bolton about while they are working in the garden together?
9. What does Connie ask of Mellors when she sees him while walking in the woods during her depression?
10. What does Clifford talk to Connie about while he is on a walk with her after her trip?
Essay Topic 1
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 1,357 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)