|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clifford do in his spare time when he moves to his new estate?
2. What does Connie feel has been stolen from her in her marriage with Clifford?
3. During Chapter 4, what are the guests to Wragby Hall most concerned about?
4. What is Mellors doing when Connie sees him after she starts to feel better during her depression?
5. What does Clifford say the woods make him forget?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
2. What does Mellors do that causes Connie to be very angry with him?
3. Who does Connie write to for help when she gets depressed with her life, and how is she helped?
4. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
5. What is disappointing to Constance about the villagers when she and Clifford move into Wragyby Hall?
6. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
7. What happens when Connie delivers a message to Mellors from her husband?
8. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
9. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
10. What is Connie's reaction to the surprising plan that Clifford presents to her when they are walking together in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Lawrence have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)