|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What debate do Clifford's guests have that embarrasses him one night at dinner?
2. How many siblings does Constance have?
3. Who does Connie have a strong aversion for after her fight with Mellors?
4. Where does Clifford's sister live?
5. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are on a walk together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
2. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
3. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
4. What does Connie feel cheated of in her life, and who does she blame for this after delivering the letter to Mellors?
5. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
6. How is Constance raised?
7. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
8. What does Clifford ask of Connie in Chapter 4, and how does she respond?
9. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
10. What is Clifford's stance on intimacy in a relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Lawrence includes some ingenious forms of irony in this book. What are some of these examples, and how does their ironic nature affect the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the stories, and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)