|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are on a walk together?
2. What title does Clifford call Michaelis while speaking with Connie about him in private?
3. How many siblings does Constance have?
4. How does Connie feel when she returns to her house after delivering a letter to Mellors?
5. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Bolton find out about the affair between Mellors and Connie?
2. Who does Connie write to for help when she gets depressed with her life, and how is she helped?
3. What does Connie do when she sees a picture in Mellors' cottage?
4. What does Connie find when she goes for a walk in the woods during her depression?
5. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
6. What happens when Mellors tries to help Clifford with his broken chair?
7. What does Connie feel cheated of in her life, and who does she blame for this after delivering the letter to Mellors?
8. What does Connie see happening on her drive through Uthwaite?
9. What is Connie's reaction to the surprising plan that Clifford presents to her when they are walking together in the woods?
10. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,352 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)