|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mellors' occupation?
2. What does Constance like to do with young men before she gets married?
3. What is the name of the village near Clifford's estate?
4. What does Clifford demand of Connie after Michaelis has been staying with them for a while?
5. What does Connie do before going to bed after she delivers the letter to Mellors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mellors do that causes Connie to be very angry with him?
2. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
3. Where has Clifford been when he comes home at the beginning of the book, and how long has he been gone?
4. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
5. What happens when Constance's father visits Constance and Clifford at Wragby Hall for the first time?
6. What is Clifford's stance on intimacy in a relationship?
7. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
8. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
9. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
10. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What are some of these instances, and how are those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how do their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Are these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)