|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are on a walk together?
2. What does Mrs. Bolton gossip to Clifford about during Connie's depression?
3. Who has Clifford become dependent on during Connie's depression?
4. Where is Michaelis from?
5. What has Mellors just killed when Connie meets him the second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
2. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
3. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
4. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
5. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
6. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
7. What does Connie suddenly realize about her relationship with Clifford after her fight with Mellors?
8. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
9. Why does Clifford invite Michaelis to come and stay with him and Connie at Wragby Hall?
10. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between fear and courage is presented in this book. What is this relationship, and where is it displayed in this book? How do the combination of these terms affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Lawrence. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)