|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of interaction is most important to Constance before she gets married?
2. Who does Connie think about during her depression that makes her feel better?
3. Who does Connie hold responsible for her lack of ambition in life after seeing Mellors in the woods?
4. What does Mrs. Bolton gossip to Clifford about during Connie's depression?
5. How long has it been since Constance has seen her husband at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Connie delivers a message to Mellors from her husband?
2. What happens when Constance's father visits Constance and Clifford at Wragby Hall for the first time?
3. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
4. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
5. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
6. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
7. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
8. What does Clifford ask of Connie in Chapter 4, and how does she respond?
9. How does Clifford's sister feel about and react to Clifford's marriage?
10. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Sexuality is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)