|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Chapter 4, what are the guests to Wragby Hall least concerned about?
2. What does Dukes say a woman cannot do for him?
3. What does Michaelis ask Connie to do when he comes to Wragby to present his new play?
4. What do Constance and Clifford discuss during the day?
5. What does Connie say she is not attracted to at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
2. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
3. Where has Clifford been when he comes home at the beginning of the book, and how long has he been gone?
4. What happens when Connie sees Mellors in the woods for the second time?
5. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
6. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
7. Who does Connie write to for help when she gets depressed with her life, and how is she helped?
8. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
9. What does Connie ask of Mellors when she sees him while walking in the woods during her depression?
10. What becomes Clifford's new obsession during Connie's depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by despair, and how does this change the course of the plot branches they are involved in?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Connie and Clifford. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)