|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clifford not give Connie what she wants from him when Michaelis has been staying with them for a while?
2. What does Connie help Clifford do every morning?
3. Where is Constance's husband before he comes home at the beginning of the book?
4. What do Constance and Clifford discuss during the day?
5. Where does Connie like to go on walks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
2. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
3. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
4. What does Constance like to do with other young men before she gets married?
5. What is the only time that Connie still spends with her husband during her depression, and how does she feel about it?
6. How does Constance feel about Michaelis, and what does she do in response to these feelings?
7. How is Constance raised?
8. What is Clifford doing after the war that is earning him some recognition?
9. What does Connie feel cheated of in her life, and who does she blame for this after delivering the letter to Mellors?
10. What does Connie suddenly realize about her relationship with Clifford after her fight with Mellors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion and empathy is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how does the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this fear is manifested?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)