|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Connie do when she returns home after her walk during her depression?
2. What has Mellors just killed when Connie meets him the second time?
3. Where does this book take place?
4. What does Michaelis do that ends his affair with Connie?
5. What does Connie ask Dukes while they are alone together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michaelis do for a living, and what are his goals for his profession?
2. What does Connie do before going to bed after she sees Mellors washing?
3. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
4. How does Connie feel about the guests at Wragby Hall discussing issues like intimacy?
5. What revelation does Connie have about Clifford when she returns home after their walk together in the woods?
6. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
7. How does Clifford feel about Michaelis after meeting him in person?
8. Where has Clifford been when he comes home at the beginning of the book, and how long has he been gone?
9. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
10. What does Mellors do that causes Connie to be very angry with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embody this theme, and how does that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)