|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the village near Clifford's estate?
2. Where does Mellors go when he is in the Army?
3. How does Connie feel when she returns to her house after delivering a letter to Mellors?
4. Which of the following is NOT someone that Clifford invites to Wragby Hall during Chapter 4?
5. What does Constance like to do with young men before she gets married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is discussed at dinner when Clifford's aunt comes to visit him at Wragby Hall?
2. What kind of injury has Clifford sustained, and how is this affecting him?
3. What does Clifford ask of Connie in Chapter 4, and how does she respond?
4. How does Constance feel about Michaelis, and what does she do in response to these feelings?
5. What happens when Connie sees Mellors in the woods for the second time?
6. What surprising plan does Clifford present to Connie while they are walking together in the woods?
7. How do Clifford's guests react when Connie tries to become a part of the debate one evening?
8. What does Mrs. Bolton do with Clifford during the evenings?
9. What happens when Constance's father visits Constance and Clifford at Wragby Hall for the first time?
10. What does Clifford tell Connie about Mellors when she returns home from her walk in the woods in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Industry, and the effects of industry, are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)